"How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions" ?

My 16-year-old son's birthday is next week. He's a huge Led Zeppelin fan, and I'm trying to decide what CD I should buy him. He already owns all their albums, but does not have any of the official Live releases. I've narrowed it down to either "How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions." Can anybody tell me if one of these is better than the other?

They seem relatively similar in terms of sound quality and song selection, so maybe it's really just a question of preference and subjectivity. At any rate, if anyone could offer their thoughts and opinions on this matter it would be a great help to me. The more detail the better, as I currently do not have much info to go on. I'd like to base my decision on sound quality and most importanly, the quality of performance. Thanks.

-Elliott

Welcome Elliot! :wave:

Personally, I'd go with HTWWW over BBC. While a hybrid of two shows, it is a full force representation of Zeppelin at it's feral peak. BBC Session is an amalgam of performances broadcast on the radio from the BBC studios. No audience for the most part. However disc 2 is a complete show from the Paris Theatre in London in 1971. I practically meditated to it when I taped it off the radio in 1977 (I was 11). A great performance! But I'd go with HTWWW. BBC Sessions is more for a fan who knows what he's hearing. HTWWW will floor anyone with a pulse! :lol:

Excellent parenting by the way! Teach 'em right! :beer:

I replied to your thread over in the "Led Zep Live" area, but I'll paste this here too...

Hmm, tough question. How The West Was Won (or HTWWW as I will call it) was culled from 2 performances, on June 25 and June 27 1972. The best bits from those 2 nights are turned into one cohesive concert. Being from '72, you get songs from Houses Of The Holy, while the BBC Sessions include stuff up through Led Zeppelin IV. The BBC Sessions are a compilation of several sessions...disc 1 is made up of various 1969 BBC sessions, while disc 2 is a 1971 concert. You get several versions of songs like You Shook Me and Communication Breakdown, and you can see the evolution of those songs just over a few months in 1969.

Both albums have great sound, and show great performances by the band. If you're looking for one album that really reflects a live Zep show, with them at the top of their game, I'd go with HTWWW.

Skip the debate, buy both. You can't go wrong with either, and it presents the band in two different lights: Toned down for a radio show and off-the-charts bombastic in a stadium setting.
Yeah, dead right.......Get both of them.

I'm afraid that's not a possibility. It's a little embarrassing, but things are kinda tight financially around here. It was my daughters' Birthday last month, and we only spend X amount of money on her presents. Plus, my wife has already made alot of other purchases (clothes and what not) in preparation for Steve's B-day. So you see, I really would like to get him the better of the two to start. I can get him the other one in a few weeks. Don't want to spoil the kid.

Yeah, dead right.......Get both of them.

Don't get me wrong ... I truly appreciate you taking the time to submit the same response, again. But do you think there's anyway you can give me a little bit more information? You're obviously very knowledgeable about Zep and their discography. It would be extremely awesome if you could take a look at which songs are duplicated on both "How The West Was Won" and "BBC Sessions," and then tell me which performance offers the superior version to it's counterpart on the other disc/album. I hope this isn't asking to much, but this is really what I'm trying to figure out here. Thank you very much for your help and expertise.

-Elliott

I replied to your thread over in the "Led Zep Live" area, but I'll paste this here too...

Hmm, tough question. How The West Was Won (or HTWWW as I will call it) was culled from 2 performances, on June 25 and June 27 1972. The best bits from those 2 nights are turned into one cohesive concert. Being from '72, you get songs from Houses Of The Holy, while the BBC Sessions include stuff up through Led Zeppelin IV. The BBC Sessions are a compilation of several sessions...disc 1 is made up of various 1969 BBC sessions, while disc 2 is a 1971 concert. You get several versions of songs like You Shook Me and Communication Breakdown, and you can see the evolution of those songs just over a few months in 1969.

Both albums have great sound, and show great performances by the band. If you're looking for one album that really reflects a live Zep show, with them at the top of their game, I'd go with HTWWW.

I'm afraid that's not a possibility. It's a little embarrassing, but things are kinda tight financially around here. It was my daughters' Birthday last month, and we only spend X amount of money on her presents. Plus, my wife has already made alot of other purchases (clothes and what not) in preparation for Steve's B-day. So you see, I really would like to get him the better of the two to start. I can get him the other one in a few weeks. Don't want to spoil the kid.

How The West Was Won my friend. It's a kick ass, Zep at its peak concert. Just trust me on this okay. I have hundreds of bootleg shows. Get the young fellow this one. Can't get a better start in any store! :beer:

Ok, in that case get HTWWW...............

Nothing to be embarrassed about, most of us feel the squeeze from time to time.

If you have to choose, then HTWWW is what I would get. More of your traditional live concert album. BBCS is live recordings - but as they say - no or remote\small audiences. More of a live studio session if that makes any sense.

I do think that the BBCS version of Thats the Way is my fave all time version of that song. JPJ was brilliant on it! JMHO of course...

I was in a similar situation recently. I owned all the albums, but nothing live. I bought BBC and was blown away. I think part of it is that any time you get to hear "new" Zeppelin it is like Christmas morning, but what I liked best about the album was the liner notes that were included. They really explain and capture what the album, and in a very quick summary, Led Zeppelin, is all about. It gives some really good background on the songs you are hearing.

You just have to stop and think about how amazing they are playing live. Bonzo and JPJ dropping steady beats, Paige with inventive and exciting licks, and Plant pouring his soul into it. Awesome.

Don't have HTWWW but it looks to be my next purchase.

Again, HTWWW is your choice... without a doubt, BBC Sessions is good, but HTWWW is raw and powerful... from the beginning, it hits you like a train and doesnt stop... I also like that it has an acoustic set... and all the epics are present and at the peak of their might (Dazed and Confused and Whle Lotta Love both 20+ minutes and Moby Dick just under 20 minutes)

not to mention... HTWWW is 3 discs and BBC Sessions is only 2 discs... and also, it may be easier to find HTWWW since the only time I found BBC Sessions, it was $27 since it was an import... HTWWW is like $20...

either way, glad to see your son has great taste in music and hope he enjoys his birthday

If I had only those two to choose from, I'd go with How the West Was Won.

Although ... I even like the remastered soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same more. Might make your kid a permanent Zep fan for life.

I almost responded both but seeing your f/u response, I'd say go with HTWWW. You wouldn't go wrong with either but I think your son will love to hear LZ live at their peak. The set covers songs from LZ II through Houses of the Holy.

Here's the setlist to HTWWW (I copied it off Amazon.com)

Time Price

1. LA Drone (Live Album Version) 0:14

2. Immigrant Song (Live Album Version) 3:48

3. Heartbreaker (Live Album Version) 7:31

4. Black Dog (Live Album Version) 5:33

5. Over The Hills And Far Away (Live Album Version) 5:06

6. Since I've Been Loving You (Live Album Version) 8:01

7. Stairway To Heaven (Live Album Version) 9:37

8. Going To California (Live Album Version) 5:37

9. That's The Way (Live Album Version) 5:53

10. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp (Live Album Version) 4:50

11. Dazed And Confused (Live Album Version) 25:25 Album Only

12. What Is And What Should Never Be (Live Album Version) 4:39

13. Dancing Days (Live Album Version) 3:41

14. Moby Dick (Live Album Version) 19:23 Album Only

15. Whole Lotta Love (Live Album Version) 23:07 Album Only

16. Rock And Roll (Live Album Version) 3:55

17. The Ocean (Live Album Version) 4:12

18. Bring It On Home (Live Album Version) 9:29

NOTE: It says some tracks here are live album version only however I believe you can get all the songs on the double cd set.

Trust me, he'll LOVE HTWWW. As many have stated, it's LZ at their peak!!!

holy geez, if u cannot buy him BOTH,,then maybe you should look into financial counselling. how can $25 break a person?

How rude. :rolleyes:

Elliott Douglas, either one you get your son is great and he will love either of them. You can't go wrong.

I just prefere the BBC sessions however HTWWW is good too. :D

Happy Birthday to your son!

I was just looking on Amazon. Both have 4 1/2 star customer satisfaction. :)

BBC Sessions

http://www.amazon.com/BBC-Sessions-Led-Zep...1691&sr=8-1

HTWWW

http://www.amazon.com/How-West-Was-Won-Zep...1675&sr=8-2

In comparison side by side, I guess it's the rawness of the BBC sessions I love.

HTWWW is polished and glitzy

BBC is gritty and a bit naughty. It's before they played their songs a billion times. It has a fresh sound to it and seems like they are having fun....not saying they aren't having fun with HTWWW. B)

Hard to explain because it's all subjective really.

What I prefere won't necessarily be what the next person agrees with but I know I like LZ and I like both the CD's you are thinking of getting.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with either selection.

BTW, even though I prefere BBCS, Dazed and Confused off HTWWW is pretty dang spectacular.

Let's get real people...

BBC Sessions is just a stripped compilation of an historical document of the band. Still, has great music and captures the band as is... no "perfectionisms" of Page... only cuts and missing songs.

How The West Was Won is a fixed version of two shows processed as one... or the one and only true experience of Led Zeppelin at their best in front of thousands of fans.

As someone said, BBC is for someone who wants to hear about it... But to experience Led Zeppelin as they were truly better, GO WITH HTWWW.

Another good, or better choice... get the Led Zeppelin DVD. You get somethings like BBC, RAH, MSG, Earls Court and Knebworth... more than 4 hours of visuals and music. Live Performances.

Okay, you're all gonna kill me. Yesterday I was trying to decide between "How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions" ... But after reading all your responses, and upod further investigation, I'd have to say that I'm now actually leaning towards "The Song Remains The Same." You see, I just found out that it finally got remastered, and in my opinion the sound quality may even sound better than "How The West Was Won." Please share your thoughts on this sound issue. To me, the guitar chords sound charper and Plant's vocals more spotlighted than on the new "TSRTS" than on "How The West Was One." The setlists are pretty dissimilar between these two releases, so it's hard to decide. Who can refuse rare perfomances of "No Quarter," "Misty Mountain Hop," and "Rain Song???" Of course, then I'd be missing out on that amazing version of "Over the Hills and Far Away."

I know what you're all thinkin ... "this guy's a total crackpot!" or "just buy them both, damn it!" But please, I'm trying to make an informed decision here. Hey, you know what'd be a real help ... is there anyway somebody could hook me up with a compressed copy of the remastered "The Song Remains The Same," so that I can listen to all the songs before I buy? Then I'd really be able to make an informed decision. I know it's askin a lot, but I'll just pray you're feeling extremely generous. My e-mail's Edouglas23@aol.com if you wanna respond. Then again, maybe I ought to just quit while I'm ahead. Oh, and I use 128kbps ... all I'm sayin.

-Elliott

Archived