Putting the doctor back into Timothy Leary

dragster

Who digs him....who hates him....there's no 3 ways about it!! All I say it is ABOUT BL**dy time we put the DOCTOR (PhD) back into Timothy Leary....the title the f*c**n' FBI and CIA and politicians rudely took away from his name and criminalized him because they knew VERY WELL he was saying the truth about many things out there!! :. His HUGE contribution to the development of medicine and therapy have TOO long been ridiculed by conservative bigots out there!!!

TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP OUT

TURNONTUNEINDROPOUTmoveiandstrackco.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

Robert.

Leary's first problem was by championing the drug culture he took the scientific objectivity out of his grand experiment. By putting himself into it he lost true scientific vision. All good experiments need controls. Leary was out of control. I am not bashing him but from a scientific point he could of done much greater good had he remained objective about the drugs that he were his experiments. Many great minds and artist have been lost to legal and illegal drugs alike. Mr. Leary or doctor as you prefer was naive to the power and the hold that drugs have over man's will and his intellect.

Again a distortion of the facts. I don't think HE himself "went astray"......he was led (no pun intended [Led Z], hehehhehehehe) by a finely conducted hate machine perpertrated agianst his ideals and medical/therpeautical theories by the right-wing lot that IS STILL in power today! :). There is no doubt the man was not only a qualified DOCTOR, but a genius to boot......only that he was zillions of light years ahead of his time, so in a way, I can undestand the distortion of the facts of his life and research! :). Another distortion of the facts is that Leary = drugs........NOT only drugs I add....there is all a philosophy around the counterculture theme and too many people have NOT gone beyond the "drug thing"....I say there's a lot of waking up to be done around Leary and his culture. Dr. Timothy Leary was only a poor, misunderstood human being like many geniuses out there.

Weren't Copernicus, Galileo, da Vinci, etc. misunderstod too??!..............and in the end, we ALL found out they were RIGHT!!! :)

Ponder good people ponder.....while ye still have time!

Robert.

OH ...is that so ?

2gwb8yb.jpg

I've met the man...talked with him one on one for about 20 minutes at my old college. We talked about 'terminal adulthood' and the youthful energy one can keep...if their mindset is capable.

Timothy Leary's dead.....

no, no, no....

He's outside, looking in ...

Hell fly his astral plane,

Takes you trips around the bay,

Brings you back the same day,

Timothy leary. timothy leary.

Hell take you up, hell bring you down,

Hell plant your feet back firmly on the ground.

He flies so high, he swoops so low,

He knows exactly which way hes gonna go.

Timothy leary. timothy leary.

Always dug Mr. Leary. Back in my acid days I had the privilege of seeing him at FDU (Fairleigh Dickinson University) in 89'. He was on tour with G. Gordan Liddy (of Watergate fame). What an experience seeing those 2 together and listening to their stories. Amazing!

Just a little history of the 2, Liddy actually raided Millbrook estate in the 60's. In later years they became very good friends.

sant190.jpg

You never know who your friends are!! :) :). Great thing meeting Dr. Leary!! :)

Two years I had the privilege of meeting Liddy while he was in Atlantic City. The coordinators of a motorcycle show taking place who invited him as a guest and knew I was a big fan. They set aside some time for us to have a meeting. It was again another great experience.

My political views have changed since I was a late teen. Not so much on drug use because I hold a clear Libertarian view on using. But it's changed from me being a 'lefty' hippy chick to a conservative with libertarian views.

Liddy is a conservative yet his view on the government have drastically changed since his federal incarceration due to Watergate. Knowing the two were so diametrically opposed in the 60's and came to a common ground and a true friendship later was a sight to see in itself.

My autograph from the G-Man himself...

liddyxi3.jpg

Again a distortion of the facts. I don't think HE himself "went astray"......he was led (no pun intended [Led Z], hehehhehehehe) by a finely conducted hate machine perpertrated agianst his ideals and medical/therpeautical theories by the right-wing lot that IS STILL in power today! :). There is no doubt the man was not only a qualified DOCTOR, but a genius to boot......only that he was zillions of light years ahead of his time, so in a way, I can undestand the distortion of the facts of his life and research! :). Another distortion of the facts is that Leary = drugs........NOT only drugs I add....there is all a philosophy around the counterculture theme and too many people have NOT gone beyond the "drug thing"....I say there's a lot of waking up to be done around Leary and his culture. Dr. Timothy Leary was only a poor, misunderstood human being like many geniuses out there.

Weren't Copernicus, Galileo, da Vinci, etc. misunderstod too??!..............and in the end, we ALL found out they were RIGHT!!! :)

Ponder good people ponder.....while ye still have time!

Robert.

From reading your posts, I'd gather you like taking acid. And yes, I'm taking pictures of you with my eyes. The snakes won't bite you... much.

From reading your posts, I'd gather you like taking acid. And yes, I'm taking pictures of you with my eyes. The snakes won't bite you... much.

No but I've had so many psychedelic sensations and trips that my motto is today "I've seen and heard many things in life that are better left UNtold". No mystery, no hassles......just Life!! :) :) :) :)

PSYCHEDELICLASTSUPPERinccorruptedpo.jpg

PSYCHEDELICCHICKverycolourful.jpg

Two years I had the privilege of meeting Liddy while he was in Atlantic City. The coordinators of a motorcycle show taking place who invited him as a guest and knew I was a big fan. They set aside some time for us to have a meeting. It was again another great experience.

My political views have changed since I was a late teen. Not so much on drug use because I hold a clear Libertarian view on using. But it's changed from me being a 'lefty' hippy chick to a conservative with libertarian views.

Liddy is a conservative yet his view on the government have drastically changed since his federal incarceration due to Watergate. Knowing the two were so diametrically opposed in the 60's and came to a common ground and a true friendship later was a sight to see in itself.

My autograph from the G-Man himself...

liddyxi3.jpg

:) :) :) That's excactly why I'd rather trust 1000000 rattlesnakes rather than one LOUSY politician!! :) :). i know, I know....Sonny Bono did the same thing :)

This piece on Timothy Leary was printed, last year, in Time magazine. The url below connects to the original article which contains links to some other pieces on psychedelics. This article is not something that I would have expected to see in Time magazine:

Thursday, Apr. 19, 2007

Was Timothy Leary Right?

By John Cloud

Are psychedelics good for you? It's such a hippie relic of a question that it's almost embarrassing to ask. But a quiet psychedelic renaissance is beginning at the highest levels of American science, including the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and Harvard, which is conducting what is thought to be its first research into therapeutic uses of psychedelics (in this case, Ecstasy) since the university fired Timothy Leary in 1963. But should we be prying open the doors of perception again? Wasn't the whole thing a disaster the first time?

The answer to both questions is yes. The study of psychedelics in the '50s and '60s eventually devolved into the drug free-for-all of the '70s. But the new research is careful and promising. Last year two top journals, the Archives of General Psychiatry and the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, published papers showing clear benefits from the use of psychedelics to treat mental illness. Both were small studies, just 27 subjects total. But the Archives paper--whose lead author, Dr. Carlos Zarate Jr., is chief of the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Research Unit at NIMH--found "robust and rapid antidepressant effects" that remained for a week after depressed subjects were given ketamine (colloquial name: Special K or usually just k). In the other study, a team led by Dr. Francisco Moreno of the University of Arizona gave psilocybin (the merrymaking chemical in psychedelic mushrooms) to obsessive-compulsive-disorder patients, most of whom later showed "acute reductions in core OCD symptoms." Now researchers at Harvard are studying how Ecstasy might help alleviate anxiety disorders, and the Beckley Foundation, a British trust, has received approval to begin what will be the first human studies with LSD since the 1970s.

Psychedelics chemically alter the way your brain takes in information and may cause you to lose control of typical thought patterns. The theory motivating the recent research is that if your thoughts are depressed or obsessive, the drugs may reveal a path through them. For Leary and his circle--which influenced millions of Americans to experiment with drugs--psychedelics' seemingly boundless possibilities led to terrible recklessness. There's a jaw-dropping passage in last year's authoritative Leary biography by Robert Greenfield in which Leary and two friends ingest an astonishing 31 psilocybin pills in Leary's kitchen while his 13-year-old daughter has a pajama party upstairs. Stupefied, one of the friends climbs into the girl's bed and has to be pulled from the room.

A half-century later, scientists hope to unstitch psychedelic research from their forebears' excesses. Even as the Clinical Psychiatry paper trumpets psilocybin's potential for "powerful insights," it also urges caution. The paper suggests psilocybin only for severe OCD patients who have failed standard therapies and, as a last resort, may face brain surgery. Similarly, subjects can't take part in the Ecstasy trials unless their illness has continued after ordinary treatment.

Antidrug warriors may argue that the research will lend the drugs an aura of respectability, prompting a new round of recreational use. That's possible, but today we have no priestly Leary figure spewing vertiginous pro-drug proclamations. Instead we have a Leary for a less naive age: Richard Doblin. Also a Harvard guy--his Ph.D. is in public policy--Doblin founded the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) in 1986 to help scientists get funding and approval to study the drugs. (Doblin, 53, says he was too shy for the '60s, but he was inspired by the work of psychologist Stanislav Grof, who authored a 1975 book about promising LSD research--research that ended with antidrug crackdowns.) Doblin has painstakingly worked with intensely skeptical federal authorities to win necessary permissions. MAPS helped launch all four of the current Ecstasy studies, a process that took two decades. It's the antithesis of Leary's approach.

All drugs have benefits and risks, but in psychedelics we have been tempted to see only one or the other. Not anymore.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1612717,00.html

I say, what took them so long to write this article.....only goes to show!! :) :). There's good and evil in everything and everyone, it's just that most people believe only ONE WAY!! :) :).......as I said earlier, there's a LOT of waking up to do:::

YINGANDYANGLOGO.gif

Who digs him....who hates him....there's no 3 ways about it!! All I say it is ABOUT BL**dy time we put the DOCTOR (PhD) back into Timothy Leary....the title the f*c**n' FBI and CIA and politicians rudely took away from his name and criminalized him because they knew VERY WELL he was saying the truth about many things out there!! :. His HUGE contribution to the development of medicine and therapy have TOO long been ridiculed by conservative bigots out there!!!

TURN ON, TUNE IN, DROP OUT

TURNONTUNEINDROPOUTmoveiandstrackco.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

Robert.

I met Timothy Leary in 1978 He did a lecture at the college here. Afterwards he hosted a privite party. I will have to say it was an experiance.

I met Timothy Leary in 1978 He did a lecture at the college here. Afterwards he hosted a privite party. I will have to say it was an experiance.

Same year and circumstance that I met him in college.....I think I remember him saying he met you. :ph34r:

:D

A nice little quote by Leary's colleague Richard Alpert a.k.a. Ram Das...

'Psychedelics helped me to escape.. albeit momentarily.. from the prison of my mind. It over-rode the habit patterns of thought and I was able to taste innocence again. Looking at sensations freshly without the conceptual overly was very profound.'

Always dug Mr. Leary. Back in my acid days I had the privilege of seeing him at FDU (Fairleigh Dickinson University) in 89'. He was on tour with G. Gordan Liddy (of Watergate fame). What an experience seeing those 2 together and listening to their stories. Amazing!

Just a little history of the 2, Liddy actually raided Millbrook estate in the 60's. In later years they became very good friends.

sant190.jpg

I also got to see the Liddy/Leary tour back in the 80's. Quite interesting to say the least watching those two ex-cons on the same stage.

Timothy Francis Leary (October 22, 1920 – May 31, 1996) was an American writer, psychologist, modern pioneer and advocate of psychedelic drug research and use, and one of the first people whose remains have been sent into space. An icon of 1960s counterculture, Leary is most famous as a proponent of the therapeutic and spiritual benefits of LSD. He coined and popularized the catch phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Leary

I say, what took them so long to write this article.....only goes to show!! :) :). There's good and evil in everything and everyone, it's just that most people believe only ONE WAY!! :) :).......as I said earlier, there's a LOT of waking up to do:::

YINGANDYANGLOGO.gif

I think that, while the research on psychedelics long ago confirmed what the article stated, U.S. mainstream media has been reluctant to report it because of the number of young people who were damaged, in some way by LSD. There were some kids who had easy access to acid and took multiple trips without any restraints or guidance. Even in the towns in which my husband and I grew up, we each knew of at least one kid who died while tripping, a few who ended up in psych wards, and several whose minds were irrevocably changed. I never dropped acid primarily because, at a young age, I observed a guy on a bad trip. It frightened me out of ever wanting to try it. Those fears about LSD have stayed with many people. I think the article has made a step toward presenting and exploring the other side of it.

:hippy:

I've read most of his books. Don't know how I feel about the whole thing. I think acid and drugs can be good for certain populations at certain times. I think we owe a whole lot of our creativity, and nearly everything that was developed after the 60's, to acid and other hallucinogenic drugs.

I think acid and drugs can be good for certain populations at certain times. I think we owe a whole lot of our creativity, and nearly everything that was developed after the 60's, to acid and other hallucinogenic drugs.

Right On !!! :thumbsup:

Soccer moms in Tiedye T-shirts won't like that though.....<_< Do you think they'd throw away their Rock records upon that realization ? Nah, they'll just go in denial.

Archived