What about most bizarre Zep moments?

PIPPIN

A few unusal moments I have heard from boots....

27 March 1970 The Forum (and other gigs around this time)

Jones use of the Organ in Whole Lotta Love's psychedelic break

18 April 1970 Arizona Coliseum

Plants voice has completely gone and he sounds tired as hell, at the end of the gig Page has to announce that Plant's buggered and they can't do any more

21 August Tulsa, Oklahoma

Page's Heartbreaker solo is interrupted - Plant wants the audience to sit down!! Excuse me Jimmy!!

Theremin at the end of Communication Breakdown

March 1971 BBC Paris Theatre

Most of Plant's commentary between songs is quite bizarre ...especially the reference to mandrax or was it mandrakes?

22 August 1971

The gig appears to begin with the instrumental Walk Don't Run - was that a hurried sound check?

31 August 1971

Pages end jam of Dazed contains White Summer melody

23 Sept 1971 Budokan Hall

The band begin Bron-y-Aur stomp (first time ever played I think) with JPJ playing mandolin - but Plant seems to stop it mid-verse for some unknown reason

28 Sept 1971 Festival Hall Osaka

Bron-y-Aur sung complete - this time with JPJ on mandolin & bass pedals!!!

Great one time only versions of We Shall Overcome and Down by the Riverside (Japanes audience appears to know the lyrics and sing along!!!)

27 Feb 1972 Sydney Showground

Whole Lotta Love contains an instrumental of the Rover - excellent!!

29 Feb 1972 Brisbane? Festival Hall

Plant completely pissed off with noisy audience and halts That's the Way

June 1972 USA

JPJ singing Louie Louie with Plant???

Dec 1972 London

Mellotron (strings/flutes) in Thank you, really changes the feel of the song, especially the haunting outro

19 March 1975

In Heartbreaker, Plant's voice sounds as good as his 1972 one - and an encore!!

18 May 1975

Not a bizarre moment, but I believe the ultimate live version of Dazed - all members are firing, particularly JPJ on bass, the version I have contains clear bass (unusual for an audience boot) and Page jams in places of the song where he'd never jammed before esp just before the bow - its reminicent of Blackmore's classical escapades

Carmine's story.

And that he.....tried to pick me up....er uh.....propose something to ME at the Hollywood Palace and I turned him down, only to see....him tell that weird story on VHI....afterward. So, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Carmine ? I thought he was full of himself ....bad hair dye, but tall in person.

Lost on this one ?

See the VHI Special about rock star antics. :oB).....he mentions the fish tale and Led Zeppelin.

What was your reaction to his stage attire, if any?

Astonishment. I knew he was really pushing it with his wardrobe selection. I guess an artist's role can be to shock...and Jimmy succeeded as we're still talking about his attire 30 years later! He played great that night and nobody left the building.

I watched a bootleg of the 25th night in Earls Court 1975, and right before they began Bron Yr Aur Stomp, Plant starts talking about Bonzo's diarrhea.

In that same show, Bonzo also tells the audience that football is "a load of bollocks," and after Heartbreaker, they all start dancing onstage for a second while trying to figure out what to play next.

I watched a bootleg of the 25th night in Earls Court 1975, and right before they began Bron Yr Aur Stomp, Plant starts talking about Bonzo's diarrhea.

Ah, that was hilarious. It went something like this...

Plant: Are you loose?!

Bonzo: Yes, yes thank you. *cackling*

Plant: Bonzo, loose?! Loose is not the word. Did you know Bonzo had diarrhea all throughout the last American tour? He's got the only drum stool in the world that is a commode. *audience howling*

I wish I was there. B)

Did you know Bonzo had diarrhea all throughout the last American tour?

This is true! Just one example: they made several filling station stops

enroute to the airport in LA on March 10th. The Starship departed

for San Diego 20 mins late and, poor Bonzo, encountered heavy

turbulance on the way.

Now that I think of it, he's shown walking out of the backstage men's

room at Madision Square Garden in TSRTS (Jul 1973). The rigors of

touring!

Everyone knows about Jimmy wearing the German military uniform items in Chicago '77.

Many don't know it was Easter Sunday.

just out of curiosity, why do people make a big deal out of this? Jimmy dressing like a Nazi SS officer. i dont find it a big deal at all, but thats just my opinion.i have seen bizarre dress before and nothing has shocked me. if someone can elaboratre on this, please do.

18 April 1970 Arizona Coliseum

Plants voice has completely gone and he sounds tired as hell, at the end of the gig Page has to announce that Plant's buggered and they can't do any more

Oh wow, never heard that before. How long was the concert? And did Pagey use the word "buggered"? :) What was the reaction of the audience to the announcement? Thanks. I'll stop firing questions now.

I don't know too many but one of the early show's, the Listen to this Luis - one, is just pure gold when it comes to speeches between the songs.

If we talk about speeches in songs then i always smile when Plant shouts "To the bridge!" or more obviously "to the James Brown!" at the Crunge - medley.

I laughed when on HTWWW's Black Dog Plant comments after "I don't know, but i've been told that big legged women got no soul" verse " ... (but) i could be wrong!"

Oh wow, never heard that before. How long was the concert? And did Pagey use the word "buggered"? :) What was the reaction of the audience to the announcement? Thanks. I'll stop firing questions now.

Set List:

We're Gonna Groove

Dazed

Heartbreaker (Last verse of song Plant's voice breaks and sounds crackly & painful)

Bring it on Home (Plant sings in lower register - imagine an 'Elvis' voice)

White Summer/ Black Mountain Side

Thank You

Moby Dick

Whole Lotta Love (no medley)

About 94 minutes in total. The night before in Utah, Plant's voice seems ok, but it's the end of that US tour, and they returned to England for the Bath Festival (28 June). It seems Plant exerted himself so much on the Tour that his voice collapsed (understandibly).

Unfortunately the quality of the recording doesn't allow for all of Pages announcement to be heard, as the crowd cheer when Page comes out, and during his announcement, thinking there will be more music.

The basic thrust of what he says is that Plant can't come out and do anymore - this is what I could make out of the recording;

"You've really been a fantastic audience tonight....for those of you who know Robert's been doing it hard....as he came off....he'd really like to do more obviously cause he.......(crowd cheer)"

The reaction of the audience is to scream and cheer in appreciation.....

• 1 year later...

The only thing that makes what I am about to say bizarre is the fact that it was done by Bonzo when he knew they were filming. On the bootleg dvd of one of the concerts at Earl's Court (can't remember if it was the 24th or 25th show), right after Bonzo finishes "Moby Dick" his drum technician, Mick Hinton, lays down something on Bonzo's left side kettle drum and Bonzo quickly leans over and snorts it up right off the drum and straight into his nose. Believe me, the first time I saw that I was amazed. I kept rewinding it just to make sure that I did see what I thought I saw. Not that it surprises me at all knowing what kind of guy the mighty John Bonham was. It seemed that at that moment after a marathon "Moby Dick" all he needed was a little boost.

The only thing that makes what I am about to say bizarre is the fact that it was done by Bonzo when he knew they were filming. On the bootleg dvd of one of the concerts at Earl's Court (can't remember if it was the 24th or 25th show), right after Bonzo finishes "Moby Dick" his drum technician, Mick Hinton, lays down something on Bonzo's left side kettle drum and Bonzo quickly leans over and snorts it up right off the drum and straight into his nose. Believe me, the first time I saw that I was amazed. I kept rewinding it just to make sure that I did see what I thought I saw. Not that it surprises me at all knowing what kind of guy the mighty John Bonham was. It seemed that at that moment after a marathon "Moby Dick" all he needed was a little boost.

What was your reaction, if any, to his stage attire?

(edit: Understand you'll post review to timeline; thanks!)

I was there too Steve, sitting 2nd. row right in front of Page's side of the stage... (Check out some of the photos of the show I took in the '77 photo section) When they came out, and before the lights went on, you could tell he was wearing something different. When the lights blasted on, there he was in the what has come to be known as "The Storm trooper Outfit" SG doubleneck blazing TSRTS! I was floored, thrilled really, because I didn't at the time fully realize the implications, I guess...

I was at the aborted Saturday show too, and I was more concerned about whether or not Jimmy would be ready to go for this show than anything else. I really, honestly thought it was a special treat of some kind for the Chicago audience to make up for the previous night, something totally different and cool. I settled on the idea that it was somehow supposed to be representative of a zeppelin commander, and isn't that what he was? I was a wonderfully oblivious 19 yr. kid, and I didn't even think of any unsavory connection to the outfit.

He did later take off the military hat and put on a white fedora, and eventually found time to change back into the white satin outfit.

You don't want my review of the show, because in my eyes, even after having seen the band seven times previously, they could do no wrong, especially from those seats! Let's just say it would be glowing and one sided. I thought they were wonderfully relaxed, and really blew the roof off the old barn that Easter Sunday....

Archived