RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

You have to watch where you swim. There are a few fish you still need to stay clear of.

135976516_568728.gif

Yep, that poor old guy that was just killed in San Diego, they assume by a great white.

Most people don't realize that the sharks swim right in the waves where the surfers are. :blink:

I was fishing in Port Canaveral, FL with my grandparents when I was about 12. They had one of those 26 ft party boats. It was only suitable for relatively calm water, no ocean voyaging unfortunately. But was perfect for the bay or any river. So, we're out and about fishing, pulling in nice sized flounder when a US Sub pulls into port. Pretty impressive having one these mammoth demons of the deep snake past you and your tiny dingy. Anyway, we're out and I had to go..The toilet was located on the back end and it came with a shower curtain that was about 4 or 5ft tall, enough to cover you while sitting on the can. So, I'm taking care of business and passing the time when all of sudden I hear people. I look up and the Disney Carnaval Cruise ship is passing us by, and sure enough, people out on the deck had a candid view of me on the can. Some were laughing, some were waving. I waved back. My grandparents thought it was hysterical, and I was alittle sore about it at the time, but its pretty damn funny.

I've had numerous excellent fishing trips in the Port. Good sized flounder are quite common there. We went swimming with two manatees near the bay beach one time and heard the sonic boom of the space shuttle before watching it land at the Cape another. Good times.

I was fishing in Port Canaveral, FL with my grandparents when I was about 12. They had one of those 26 ft party boats. It was only suitable for relatively calm water, no ocean voyaging unfortunately. But was perfect for the bay or any river. So, we're out and about fishing, pulling in nice sized flounder when a US Sub pulls into port. Pretty impressive having one these mammoth demons of the deep snake past you and your tiny dingy. Anyway, we're out and I had to go..The toilet was located on the back end and it came with a shower curtain that was about 4 or 5ft tall, enough to cover you while sitting on the can. So, I'm taking care of business and passing the time when all of sudden I hear people. I look up and the Disney Carnaval Cruise ship is passing us by, and sure enough, people out on the deck had a candid view of me on the can. Some were laughing, some were waving. I waved back. My grandparents thought it was hysterical, and I was alittle sore about it at the time, but its pretty damn funny.

I've had numerous excellent fishing trips in the Port. Good sized flounder are quite common there. We went swimming with two manatees near the bay beach one time and heard the sonic boom of the space shuttle before watching it land at the Cape another. Good times.

How funny :lol:! You poor thing. What a good sport for waving though :D .

Yep, that poor old guy that was just killed in San Diego, they assume by a great white.

Most people don't realize that the sharks swim right in the waves where the surfers are. :blink:

And he was 450 yards out from shore when the shark bit. Spring is mating season for the great white sharks and they migrate through Southern California coastal waters at this time. Maybe the shark thought he was a seal. They were looking for the shark but did not find him, so he possibly has moved into deeper water.

And he was 450 yards out from shore when the shark bit. Spring is mating season for the great white sharks and they migrate through Southern California coastal waters at this time. Maybe the shark thought he was a seal. They were looking for the shark but did not find him, so he possibly has moved into deeper water.

I hope they don't find it and kill it. It was just being a shark. They don't go out of their way to hunt humans. They always make them out to be these monsters. They are beautiful creatures. Wonders of nature.

I hope they don't find it and kill it. It was just being a shark. They don't go out of their way to hunt humans. They always make them out to be these monsters. They are beautiful creatures. Wonders of nature.

It seems to have moved into deeper waters or perhaps gone down the coast, so I think the shark will be fine. It's true humans need to respect sharks a little more when entering their domain. Sharks are like vacuum cleaners in the ocean; they consume debris that would otherwise decay and pollute the oceans. They are necessary to maintain a healthy balance in the ecology of the oceans.

It's very easy for them to confuse a human wearing a black wetsuit with a seal, which is one of their favorite prey items. It's quite a shock when humans encounter a fatal event with one of these sharks though. In this case the shark bit the man's legs and he was pronounced dead after his friends rescued him and brought him into shore. He probably either bled to death, died of shock, or both. Witnesses said the shark pursued the man very aggressively, as great whites generally do to all their prey. They are true wonders to behold, but you don't want to be their lunch.

136619160_967528.gif

It seems to have moved into deeper waters or perhaps gone down the coast, so I think the shark will be fine. It's true humans need to respect sharks a little more when entering their domain. Sharks are like vacuum cleaners in the ocean, keeping it clean of decaying debris, and they are necessary to maintain a healthy balance in the ecology of the oceans. It's very easy for them to confuse a human wearing a black wetsuit with a seal, which is one of their favorite prey items.

136619160_967528.gif

What an amazing picture.

True, but they're also delicious.

flounder.jpg

B)

Cute fisherwoman there. i'm wondering what state that is, because the fluke have to be 20inches now to keep them, in new york. Different states have different regulations. I miss being able to catch fish and keep them and have dinner. The weakfish lost all of its iridescent colors, must have been out of water for awhile.

Cute fisherwoman there. i'm wondering what state that is, because the fluke have to be 20inches now to keep them, in new york. Different states have different regulations. I miss being able to catch fish and keep them and have dinner. The weakfish lost all of its iridescent colors, must have been out of water for awhile.

I'd like to give that girl 20 inches. Problem is, I'd have to bang her three times to do it!

When i was a kid, my brother and i were crabbing at night, with lights on the front of the boat. It was at the time when fluke and eels were much less prevelant, or almost gone...so we just were crabbing. We then went up to the golf courses, were we would always net up the golf balls and sell them. Well, my brother was on the bow of the boat and i had the motor tilted up and on tiller so we didnt have to row. My brother netted a water rat, net on a long pole, so with the motion of netting the rat, the net came back toward me... it jumped out of the net and bounced off me, hit the floor of the boat and it was so fast, by the time that happened, i was jumping up, the rat was jumping off the boat and when i landed on the boat, almost rocked my brother off the bow.

Not a great fishing story, but a recollection. :D

It's very easy for them to confuse a human wearing a black wetsuit with a seal, which is one of their favorite prey items. It's quite a shock when humans encounter a fatal event with one of these sharks though. In this case the shark bit the man's legs and he was pronounced dead after his friends rescued him and brought him into shore. He probably either bled to death, died of shock, or both. Witnesses said the shark pursued the man very aggressively, as great whites generally do to all their prey. They are true wonders to behold, but you don't want to be their lunch.

Yes, I would agree that this latest attack was likely a case of mistaken identity. There have been a fair few of that type in Californian waters, where the shark has come in hard and fast but then lost interest in consuming the victim. Californian great white sharks appear to be finicky. They are used to huge super fat rich elephant seals which abound along that coastline. Compared to those, humans must seem incredibly boney. Great white sharks in Californian waters have even been known to reject sheep carcasses and we know they reject sea otters after biting them.

Most attacks in California, however, seem to be more along the lines of investigative/curiosity type encounters which do not result in fatalities or even severed limbs. In those cases, the sharks come in slower and more gently and just 'mouth' the victims in a exploratory bite. These aren't really true predatory attacks but rather the shark just using the only thing it has (it's mouth) to check out an object.

What is interesting is that in Australia there are no huge super fat rich elephant seals and the sharks there are less spoiled. Consequently, great white shark attacks in Australia result in a higher percentage of fatalities and total consumption of the human victim.

In short, most Californian great white shark victims survive. Most Australian great white shark victims do not survive and a high percentage are actually eaten, particularly these last 20 years starting with Shirley Durdin in 1985. :o

I wonder if these women are just used to promote the fishing.

Yes, I would agree that this latest attack was likely a case of mistaken identity. There have been a fair few of that type in Californian waters, where the shark has come in hard and fast but then lost interest in consuming the victim. Californian great white sharks appear to be finicky. They are used to huge super fat rich elephant seals which abound along that coastline. Compared to those, humans must seem incredibly boney. Great white sharks in Californian waters have even been known to reject sheep carcasses and we know they reject sea otters after biting them.

Most attacks in California, however, seem to be more along the lines of investigative/curiosity type encounters which do not result in fatalities or even severed limbs. In those cases, the sharks come in slower and more gently and just 'mouth' the victims in a exploratory bite. These aren't really true predatory attacks but rather the shark just using the only thing it has (it's mouth) to check out an object.

What is interesting is that in Australia there are no huge super fat rich elephant seals and the sharks there are less spoiled. Consequently, great white shark attacks in Australia result in a higher percentage of fatalities and total consumption of the human victim.

In short, most Californian great white shark victims survive. Most Australian great white shark victims do not survive and a high percentage are actually eaten, particularly these last 20 years starting with Shirley Durdin in 1985. :o

Lots of great whites around the Farralon Islands off San Francisco. They call the area the 'Red Triangle' but they mostly eat seals. One time when I was a kid I saw 2 great whites on a fish cart at Fisherman's Wharf. They were frozen solid and had all kinds of bullet holes in them. Back then it didn't seem to matter. :unsure:

Archived