Current music recommendations

Matthew!

Ok, I know this is a Zeppelin forum.

Problem is, I grew tired of the old stuff long ago. So I really only listen to new music now. I know a lot of classic rock fans think it's all crap, and if this is your path of thought, please don't post negativity everywhere. I'm always looking for new music, so I thought I'd share some, and maybe get some in return. :D

Sooooooo, new music recommendations? Indie, rock, metal, jazz, even rap and hip hop! Whatever the hell you want, whatever you think is good, post it!

My recommendations:

Stuff Zepheads might like -

Rock:

The Mars Volta, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, The Jai-Alai Savant, Portugal The Man

More indie-style:

The Bird And The Bee, The Parson Red Heads, Sondre Lerche (Dan in Real Life soundtrack, anyone?)

Stuff Zepheads will probably make disgusted faces at -

Hardcore metal, whatever other kinds of metal:

Misery Signals, The Fall of Troy, John Vs. The Machine, Norma Jean, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Circle Takes The Square, A Life Once Lost

Other:

The Dear Hunter, edIT

Post your own! :cheer:

Edited by Matthew!

I don't like too many new bands, but one I really really like is The Killers, I think they're great. I also like The Strokes, Jet and Starsailor. Some not so new bands I love but who still rock are Oasis, Foo Fighters, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers and Travis.

Check out the band Down. They are new and have put out 3 albums. All are good. The first two are better than the third though. They are hardrock/metal. The singer is Phil Anselmo from Pantera, who is awesome.

Other than that, I follow Glenn Hughes a lot. He was the bass player and a vocalist in the later line ups in Deep Purple. He is awesome, and continues to put out solo albums pretty consistently. He does a lot of different styles. Funk, rock etc. He has a new album coming out in May, and I like the samples I heard.

The Flaming Lips

These guys have been around since 1984, 12 albums out, their new stuff is really trippy psychedelic rock stuff. Very very good band, also one of the most creative bands of all time.

Tool

Progressive metal band, very experimental with different sounds and tones. They're *really* talented musically, Danny Carey is one of the best drummers of all time in my opinion. They have 4 albums one EP, and a box set out right now. Check em' out. If you need more validation that they are awesome, Robert Fripp of King Crimson is a huge fan, and they opened for Tool on one of their tours.

Portishead

A mixture of Smooth Jazz and Hip-Hop. The singer is a woman named Beth Gibbons, she has an extremely unique voice, what I would consider "Jazz singing". They have a new album coming out this week, as well as two previous albums.

Queens of The Stone Age

Stoner rock, very heavy riffs and experimental song/album structures. Best way to describe them would be a cross between Nine Inch Nails and Zeppelin.

Opeth

The band in my avatar, a mixture of Jazz Fusion and Death Metal, very very awesome. They are from Sweden, and they have about 9 albums out.

If you need more recommendations than this, let me know.

Edited by Jarlaxle 56

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm liking this so far.

Jaraxle, Tool and Portishead are great! Didn't know about Portishead's new album, I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Another recommendation from me:

Hella - math rock. AKA crazy weirdo jazz influenced rock. Very interesting. Great drummer. Only for the open-minded.

In all seriousness please please please check out:

The Hard Lessons

THE%20HARD%20LESSONS%203.jpg

They are a Detroit Trio that I have seen over 10 times and have since befriended, they are simply mindblowing amazing...

Also another newer band that I have great interest in Is Louis XIV they have a great sound

I also recomend the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, the Black Keys, The White Stripes, WOLFMOTHER and The Raconteurs who have just released a new album today that is "Five on the five"

6821_image_1.jpg

Ok, I know this is a Zeppelin forum.

What does this being a Zeppelin forum have to do with anything, especially since this is the Other Bands section? Speaking just for myself, just because I post here doesn't mean Led Zeppelin is my favorite band. They're also not the only artist I listen to.

Problem is, I grew tired of the old stuff long ago. So I really only listen to new music now. I know a lot of classic rock fans think it's all crap, and if this is your path of thought, please don't post negativity everywhere. I'm always looking for new music, so I thought I'd share some, and maybe get some in return. :D

I don't listen to new or old music only, I listen to a mixture of both. Some of my favorite newer artists would be:

Nada Surf

Old 97s

The T's

Wilco

Black Crowes

Drive-By Truckers

Pearl Jam

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

The Tripwires

The Silos

Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun

Kasey Chambers

The Yayhoos

Tres Chicas

Minus Five

Tift Merritt

Patty Hurst Shifter

Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

I like Black Stone Cherry, Thieves and Liars (GREAT classic sounding blues influenced band, reminds me of Zep), the Black Crowes. Thats about it for new stuff, classic blues/southern rock is really my niche, but if there is any new blues/southern bands out there, tell me bout them :D .

Oh yeah, Joe Bonamassa, hes pretty good :)

What does this being a Zeppelin forum have to do with anything, especially since this is the Other Bands section? Speaking just for myself, just because I post here doesn't mean Led Zeppelin is my favorite band. They're also not the only artist I listen to.

Well since this is a Zeppelin forum, I feel it's pretty safe to assume the majority of people here listen primarily to classic rock. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I remember those days quite clearly. Going through several pages in the other bands section, I saw an extremely small number of threads about current music, which is why I decided to make this thread in the first place. Some people who are really, really into classic rock have certain prejudices against current music, because of what's mainstream, so I thought I'd throw some stuff out there and see if anyone bites, maybe see if anyone here has tastes similar to mine, and also give others the same opportunity.

Anyways, I didn't mean anything bad by it at all. I was just seeing if I could open someone's eyes just a little, and show them some great, new music.

Personally, I don't think it's ever safe to assume anything (I'm guessing you've heard the old saying about "assume"). When I first started visiting the old board I did notice a very strong resistance towards new music but over the years I saw some of those very same people come to embrace it. When the board was recently revamped it was like starting from scratch with a lot of members sharing that same mindset. Still, there's a handful of board members who do like new music but we're definitely in the minority. As for "classic rock", I never bought into that. It's a radio format that plays only old rock n' roll but is not a genre of music into itself. Speaking just for myself, I've always been into "new" music and I hope that never changes.

I'm alway looking for "new" music. It's more or less an addiction for me, to find something great that I've never heard before. I'm diggin both in the past and present to find it.

There are lots of good stuff bein made today, and I love goin to conserts.

I'm alway looking for "new" music. It's more or less an addiction for me, to find something great that I've never heard before. I'm diggin both in the past and present to find it.

There are lots of good stuff bein made today, and I love goin to conserts.

That's pretty much my feelings, I'm still looking for that "sound" and probably always will be.

Okayokayokay. I discovered a new band today, thanks to my college radio station. Always a great source for new music.

65daysofstatic. Holy crap. Instrumental experimental post rock with some electronica elements thrown in there. These guys can GROOVE. I got their album called The Fall Of Math, and it's just majestic. :o I REALLY recommend these guys.

Edited by Matthew!