Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

• 2 weeks later...

Missed the live broadcast of the Wood but saw it later on YouTube- I Want Revenge was amazing! Stumbled at the break, spotting the field 5 lengths, then working his way up on the backstretch only to be caught behind horses coming into the stretch, then finding a small opening & going on to win going away! I don't think the jockey hit him once either. Hopefully he comes out of this race ok & ready for the Derby.

One of the other big contenders was scratched from the Santa Anita Derby. I dont know why? But I dont think there will be a triple crown winner. Just seems almost impossible now.

I did see the Santa Anita Derby on tv & Pioneer of The Nile looked good winning it, with Chocolate Candy second. I missed the pre-race coverage though, where they probably talked about why The Pamplemousse (or however you spell it) was scratched, as yes, he was one of the favorites.

I agree that there never may be another Triple Crown winner ever- unless they do something like put more time between the 3 races, like Derby first Saturday in May, Preakness 3 weeks later instead of 2, Belmont 4 weeks after Preakness instead of 3 (when Affirmed won it in '78 I remember thinking 'wow winning the TC sure is easy now' as there had been 3 winners in 6 years). I really wouldn't like to see them change the format though- history has shown that it can be done but it takes a very special horse to overcome the obstacles & win it all. However, one thing that I would go for is to have a limit on the number of starters in the Derby, I feel that 20 is too much. 14, maybe 15 tops is enough. And it should be by invitation only, horses to be selected by a panel of racing writers & fans. This would weed out the horses that (and you'll find at least a couple every year) really have no business running in the Derby.

but some of the horses that may have won lost because of the traffic problems in the Kentucky Derby. Afleet Alex to me was a triple crown horse. He had to weave in and out of traffic before finishing second to Giacomo in the Derby. And then proceeded to win the next two lets totally burying Giacomo in the process. twenty horse field means the best horse doesnt always win and many times that has happened.

Exactly- that's why there should be a cap on the number of starters.

• 4 weeks later...
The weekend forcast for Louisville Ky is not good. If anyone here is from that area please let me know exactly how bad the rain is?

Hello, Yukon! :wave: I'm from the Louisville area, and we got a little rain today. Fortunately it was after the Oaks race. But for tomorrow I think there is a 40% chance for rain/storms early in the day and maybe in the afternoon, and it's going to be in the low 60s (yuck) :( . I think I'm going to go with Pioneerof the Nile for the Derby tomorrow. Have you ever been to Churchill Downs? I've been twice, though not to the Oaks or Derby (too many people :lol: ). Good luck, and I hope you win some races. Happy Derby!

At least Ill get refunds for my wagers on him. Another black eye for racing seeing that $9000 piece of shit win. He wont win another leg. And that toothless idiot Borel should keep his yap shut on national TV. What an idiot. They should check Borel's pockets for a buzzer or eletronic device and do a blood test on that pig that won. Probably gave him a "milk shake" before the race! :angry:

I didn't know this before the race, but I read in the paper today that Mine That Bird was the champion 2 year old in Canada last year. His current owners paid $400,000 for him last fall. I guess he shouldn't have been a total shock after all. He may never win another major race for the rest of his career, but coming from dead last totally out of it to win going away was amazing- provided, of course that the post race tests come back clean.

At least Ill get refunds for my wagers on him. Another black eye for racing seeing that $9000 piece of shit win. He wont win another leg. And that toothless idiot Borel should keep his yap shut on national TV. What an idiot. They should check Borel's pockets for a buzzer or eletronic device and do a blood test on that pig that won. Probably gave him a "milk shake" before the race! :angry:

LOL!!! about Borel. But I have to say, he cracks me up. I kinda like him. :) But I do agree the horse probably won't win another leg of the Triple Crown.

this all being said, who i REALLY can't stand is that arrogant trainer...can't remember his name/don't want to. i thought he was SOOO rude/arrogant towards the media/reporters. It was an embarrassment the way he acted on BOTH interviews (pre/post race) to the poor NBC people. I mean it is the Kentucky Derby..you KNEW it was going to be a media circus!! Be gracious, and just enjoy the fact you got there, and then WON the damn race!! JEEEESH...I have no use for the guy....

Sharon

They should have hit the stupid hillbilly over the head with the microphone instead of putting it up to his mouth. His brains are in his ass. I think him and Borel are two birds of a feather. I still think he was either drugged or Borel had a joy buzzer. Total dip shit that trainer. He will have no friends in this business after that arrogant display. You hit that one right on the head. Send him back to the barn to clean the stalls. I cant wait to see that pig get destroyed in the

LOL!!! I agree--they should have hit him over the head with the microphone!!! :D ROFL!!!!

Sharon

Oh I so have to disagree! I had the most fun in ages watching the derby!! Having been in the same underdog position I am delighted for both the jockey and the trainer. The jockeys excitement was contaigous! Good for him!! He won the Oaks the day before and didn't he win the Derby last year? Pretty good for the old fart.

And...I'll bet a million that his blood is clean. Shit track, all mud, a long shot will come in 9 times out of 10. Many horses can't handle the mud and others shine. Obviously Mine that Bird likes the mud.

Plus, I was happy to see a good ole boy win instead of a Sheik. Sorry if that seems prejudiced but the good ole boy probably works a hell of a lot harder at it than the Sheiks. LOL!

Yukon, sounds like you know a lot about racing. I can't say what they're pulling with the thouroughbreds but 'milkshaking' is one of the most natural 'remedies' in the world and should never have been banned. Just plain ass stupid. It's really harder on the animal as an athelete to compete without something so natural that could help him/her perform to their best ability without suffering the results of the fast release of the lactic acids from their muscles. Some atheletes bodies don't deal with it as well as others.

OK, rah rah for the underdog!! :D

LOL!!! about Borel. But I have to say, he cracks me up. I kinda like him. :) But I do agree the horse probably won't win another leg of the Triple Crown.

this all being said, who i REALLY can't stand is that arrogant trainer...can't remember his name/don't want to. i thought he was SOOO rude/arrogant towards the media/reporters. It was an embarrassment the way he acted on BOTH interviews (pre/post race) to the poor NBC people. I mean it is the Kentucky Derby..you KNEW it was going to be a media circus!! Be gracious, and just enjoy the fact you got there, and then WON the damn race!! JEEEESH...I have no use for the guy....

Sharon

I'm happy for the guy. It's hard competing against the billionairs. This is a trainer that actually TRAINS his horse, good for him! Reading some of the comments on the Youtube vids confirms that most people enjoyed seeing the underdog win. I missed the post race interview but don't see the arrogance

name is Bennie Woolley ;) Hm. I missed the entire embarrassment factor :D

I was surprised that Mine That Bird won with 50 to 1 odds. I with my date and group for prom eating dinner at a restuarant when I saw Mine That Bird win. It was on the TVs. I thought it was fantastic. Of course then I didn't know the odds were 50 to 1.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

got 4 of 6. i had 5 of 6 but allowed my friend to drag his buddy into the pool. Never again. I will wait til the next big carryover and get a few guys to take a pool shot at it. I hit one at Belmont with a two dollar bill last year. Only got $1100 because many favorites. but sometimes these things pay over a million. Not like playing the lottery. You actually have a chance. I covered myself with some win tickets anyhow.

Good for you Yukon!! Hm, 'I had xxx but xxx'...sounds like I'm talking to my dad, or my father in law, or my husband, LOL! I always say "Same story, just change the numbers" :lol:

Yes, at least you DO stand a better shot than the lottery. I have a friend who is a brilliant developer, he swore he was going to write an application to calculate all the variables and choose the winner. We had a lot of fun as he worked away at it. Everyday he'd discover some new variable that you just can't account for. I just laughed at him because I knew he'd eventually figure out that it can't be 'figured out'. :D

Post positions were drawn for the Preakness today- Mine That Bird got # 2 and will be ridden by Mike Smith. The filly Rachel Alexandra got # 13.

I don't think "Mine" will win, I think his running style is not suited for Pimlico. If "Rachel" doesn't get caught too wide going into the first turn she could be very dangerous. Usually I root for the Derby winner in the Preakness (I'm more of a horse lover/fan than a bettor anyway), but I also love to root for a filly going against the colts...

Go Rachel Alexandra!!!!!

What was that all about? Oh well, nice to see my thread getting some hits. :o

Meaning that I was very surprised that he would give up the ride on the Derby winner...but then again, that is one good filly, so i can also understand that perspective. I just can't recall offhand any jockey giving up a Derby winner ride, though, so hence my "wow" to hearing this news for the first time from your post...that's all. :)

Peace--

Sharon

There is a two day daily double with the Preakness tomorrow and the 12th race today at Pimlico. I used Dont forget Gil (8) with three horses tomorrow. 5,9,13. Fresia Fire, Pioneer of the Nile and Rachel Alexandra.

I think your right about Pioneer of the Nile. He has not finished out of the money since his first race.

My bet for the Preakness is down. On paper the philly is unbeatable in this race. I went with a trifecta part wheel. 13-2,9-6. I like the 10 or 12 in the race before. Like a 1,3 box at the Meadowlands race 3. Good shot. Cheers! :D

good luck, yukon! i hope rachel wins, too. i love to see a powerhouse girl show all the boys how its done!! ;) go girl!