Studio Guitar Solo of Stairway To Heaven

bolowyn

I've never heard this before and objectively find it very hard to believed. There is enough corroborating evidence around - the fact that for years everyone involved has told the same story - about Page going in and playing 3 (or was it 4) solos on the fly, leaning against an amp with a cigarette in his mouth. He has talked specifically about the equipment he used.

The fact that the live solo is different is not evidence for the fact that the studio version is not his - there are plenty of other examples of that happening. I also suggest that rather than relying on TSRTS as your evidence, maybe you should get some bootlegs. My suggestion would be to seek out the first recorded show in which Stairway was played, and get back to me about your theory.

I also suggest next time you don't rely on the testimony of your 'drinking buddy' or at the very least, don't tell us he's your drinking buddy. Hurts your credibility a bit, don't you agree?

I think you guys have scared him off; all has gone quite on the subject ! Oh well what some people will do for 15 minutes of fame ????Even if it is B/S.....It is really obvious who did the guitar solo.....Yep it was sandy denny .....thats why they had the extra symbol on the cover of zep 4 and everyone thought it was for "the battle of evermore "!!!!!!! do you really think that robert and bonzo and jpj would have looked at jimmy with a straight face every time he played it .It is the song of HOPE ...not the song of deception ..

I believe he said he played three, and picked the best one. Given the huge amount of bootleg stuff, including studio outtakes, kind of incredible that they have never seen the light day isn't it?

If my memory is not mistaken, there was a mix of STH with one of the "other" solos on it that circulated last year.

And even if it hadn't, what would that prove? Only that it's a lot harder to get hold of the master tapes of an album than it is to tape a live concert.

I believe he said he played three, and picked the best one. Given the huge amount of bootleg stuff, including studio outtakes, kind of incredible that they have never seen the light day isn't it?

Not really, if you know the source of the studio outtakes which are in circulation...I would make an informed assumption that the solos exist only on the master tapes. So unless someone went into the vault and made a copy I don't think we will ever hear them.

Don't know about leaning against the amp with a cig in his mouth - now that sounds a bit too gunslinging-rock-and-roll lore to me..

This was the story as Glyn Johns told it and is obviously a 'setting the scene' detail which may or may not be accurate.

I'm just struck by the fact that it sounds like a different guitarist to the "Page" on LZ4's Stairway. Sounds like he's trying to cobble together bits of the studio one, and not doing a particularly great job either.

So he decided to play it differently live...That's all you are proving.

Another thing, and some of you will agree I'm sure is that Apart from Achilles Last Stand, there was never a solo like the studio one of STH after 4. You know, with the same style. It was like Page lost his bottle and we had "Page-lite" solos after STH. Just listen to anything off HOTH or Phys Graf - don't you think they sound really weedy, and dare I say it, lame?

It's called progression. Page on Stairway sounds nothing like Page on the first and second albums too, but no-one is claiming that he didn't play those. I can't believe anyone could call No Quarter's solo lame. Physical Graffiti is a great guitar album, brilliantly produced, and if you're telling me that the solo on Sick Again or The Rover is lame, then you need your ears checked.

As for my drinking buddy! - so what? Why should I conceal the fact that we meet for a pint or three most Sunday afternoons while our missus's cook up a storm? Lots of people drink.

Don't you think it hurts your credibility by saying "it must be true, my mate from down the pub who knew another guy who knew a guy......"

Not really, if you know the source of the studio outtakes which are in circulation...I would make an informed assumption that the solos exist only on the master tapes. So unless someone went into the vault and made a copy I don't think we will ever hear them.

This was the story as Glyn Johns told it and is obviously a 'setting the scene' detail which may or may not be accurate.

It's called progression. Page on Stairway sounds nothing like Page on the first and second albums too, but no-one is claiming that he didn't play those. I can't believe anyone could call No Quarter's solo lame. Physical Graffiti is a great guitar album, brilliantly produced, and if you're telling me that the solo on Sick Again or The Rover is lame, then you need your ears checked.

Don't you think it hurts your credibility by saying "it must be true, my mate from down the pub who knew another guy who knew a guy......"

YOU PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!

You know, with the same style. It was like Page lost his bottle and we had "Page-lite" solos after STH. Just listen to anything off HOTH or Phys Graf - don't you think they sound really weedy, and dare I say it, lame?

I'd say the solo of The Rover has Stairway-like phrasing.

Nice...... :D :D :D

STH is definitely Page because it contains lots of Pagisms (incl. sloppy playing B) )

Bars 5 and 6 are good examples plus listen to the vibrato and the slides that sometimes are just a wee bit off. That´s totally Jimmy!

It´s just one step away from SIBLY. The next level of playing is the soloing on LZ4.

I don´t know who said it before, but The Rover is structurewise very much alike STH. For me even better.

STH live - yes, it´s totally different. And yes, sometimes worse. B)

But the solos Page played in ´73 are faster and technically more difficult than the studio version (which is a bit more elegant).

I think you and your drinking buddy are no guitar players. Because STH is genius, but NOT complicated to play AT ALL! So why should Page have not been able to deliever it?

I guess now is the time to come clean.

It was me. I recorded the guitar solo as well as snuck into the studio with a squeaky hinge during the recording of SIBLY. I also flew the airplane while they were recording parts of Physical Graffiti.

I apologize for all the pain and suffering I've inflicted all these years.

I'm also D. B. Cooper.

:lol:

Well, someone has to be...

I've got it! It was Ray Davies!

:D

No, no - it was Dave Davies.

Payback's a bitch... B)

So he can fabricate, manipulate the truth and it's ok, because it's Glyn Johns? I smell a double standard here.

Or else he couldn't play the bloody studio one, because he didn't play it in the first place.

It's called progression. Page on Stairway sounds nothing like Page on the first and second albums too,

Oh yes he does!

but no-one is claiming that he didn't play those. I can't believe anyone could call No Quarter's solo lame.

Studio solo is lame. Live ones usually kick ass, except post 75 when they were predominantly shite. Sorry.

Physical Graffiti is a great guitar album, brilliantly produced, and if you're telling me that the solo on Sick Again or The Rover is lame, then you need your ears checked.

Sick again solo is lame. Sounds ok on PG because of all the backing tracks, but live! - there's a huge hole in the song while he plays it. And it's not a really inspired solo anyway. Face it.

Not at all. But it shed's light on your implied sleight at those who happen to drink in a pub on a Sunday.

Nice...... :D :D :D

STH is definitely Page because it contains lots of Pagisms (incl. sloppy playing B) )

Bars 5 and 6 are good examples plus listen to the vibrato and the slides that sometimes are just a wee bit off. That´s totally Jimmy!

It´s just one step away from SIBLY. The next level of playing is the soloing on LZ4.

I don´t know who said it before, but The Rover is structurewise very much alike STH. For me even better.

STH live - yes, it´s totally different. And yes, sometimes worse. B)

But the solos Page played in ´73 are faster and technically more difficult than the studio version (which is a bit more elegant).

So what? You're rambling now.

I think you and your drinking buddy are no guitar players. Because STH is genius, but NOT complicated to play AT ALL! So why should Page have not been able to deliever it?

There is nothing sloppy about the studio version. How dare you!! Your comparison with SIBLY is total crap. Like, what are you on. Unless you're talking about the pentatonic scale - are you? Do you know what that is even? The Rover, well, and I have to assume you don't play guitar (apart from the air guitar), you should know my man tha tit is in the same progression as STH, just a different key. STH is in Aminor, the Rover is in F#minor. The # stands for sharp, not the hash key on your Blackberry. If you're a pentatonic player like Page then it's INEVITABLE that your solos will be familiar then. All you do is transpose.

All this crap about Page being a versatile player is not really true. He played a variety of types of music, granted. But he didn't adapt that well to each one. He's a pentatonic protagonist.

And you're in denial. Face it.

To correct you, I'm a guitar player. In fact people tell me I'm a damn good one. My buddy doesn't play guitar by the way. STH is difficult to get spot on. This is the nub of the matter. Page couldn't hack it live. Or at all. PERIOD. Listen to rprplant again -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1mol3Zo4w

Do you think Page could have played this? Not bloody likely! Not when you've got your guitar slung down around your knees and you're swimming around in your dragon suit. LOL!! Seriously, I love Page and I love the STH solo, but I can't believe it's him playing it on the studio version.

Once again, I think a lot of people are in denial about the "legendary" Led Zepp. They were just 4 great musicians who made great music, and sometimes also made dreadful mistakes. Howlers. Clangers. Bloopers. You know, true blinkered die hard til the grave Zepp fans are easy to spot. They're the ones who like ANYTHING Zeppelin ever put out, like for example Trampled Underfoot. WTF! That's drivel. Someone should have hid the keyboard the day they threw that one together. And Page should have turned up the distortion again on HOTH and PG. Like Hello! - too bloody lame.

But I love it nonetheless! LOL!!

There is nothing sloppy about the studio version. How dare you!! Your comparison with SIBLY is total crap. Like, what are you on. Unless you're talking about the pentatonic scale - are you? Do you know what that is even? The Rover, well, and I have to assume you don't play guitar (apart from the air guitar), you should know my man tha tit is in the same progression as STH, just a different key. STH is in Aminor, the Rover is in F#minor. The # stands for sharp, not the hash key on your Blackberry. If you're a pentatonic player like Page then it's INEVITABLE that your solos will be familiar then. All you do is transpose.

All this crap about Page being a versatile player is not really true. He played a variety of types of music, granted. But he didn't adapt that well to each one. He's a pentatonic protagonist.

And you're in denial. Face it.

To correct you, I'm a guitar player. In fact people tell me I'm a damn good one. My buddy doesn't play guitar by the way. STH is difficult to get spot on. This is the nub of the matter. Page couldn't hack it live. Or at all. PERIOD. Listen to rprplant again -

Do you think Page could have played this? Not bloody likely! Not when you've got your guitar slung down around your knees and you're swimming around in your dragon suit. LOL!! Seriously, I love Page and I love the STH solo, but I can't believe it's him playing it on the studio version.

Once again, I think a lot of people are in denial about the "legendary" Led Zepp. They were just 4 great musicians who made great music, and sometimes also made dreadful mistakes. Howlers. Clangers. Bloopers. You know, true blinkered die hard til the grave Zepp fans are easy to spot. They're the ones who like ANYTHING Zeppelin ever put out, like for example Trampled Underfoot. WTF! That's drivel. Someone should have hid the keyboard the day they threw that one together. And Page should have turned up the distortion again on HOTH and PG. Like Hello! - too bloody lame.

Ah...the sound of youth... :rolleyes:

That reminds me of the days when I thought Yngwie and Vai were cutting edge and asked myself why Page and others were playing so ´clean`.

Well, until I played a Marshall ´69 Plexi myself and found out - there´s no more gain! So no endless sustain, no legato magic, no chance to hide behind a wall of distortion. You had to ´fight´ your guitar to make it sound heavy. Real fast rock runs are a pain in the a...

And yes, there were fuzz pedals, but they didn´t sound like METAL of the 80ies and 90ies!

To set my record straight:

I´m a professional session player

I´ve been playing guitar since 23 years now. (F..k, I´m old B) )

I´ve seen and heard the weirdest sh... on six strings, but Jimmy Page is one of the masters. His tone, attack and studio wizardry are beyond extraordinary.

You are right, Jimmy Page is a pentatonic protagonist. Still, Jimmy introduced lydic and mixolydic modes, played lots of chromatic runs and FYI:

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not played (solely) in pentatonic mode (nor is The Rover BTW) - he is using the F. So it´s A-minor. But he´s using the F live, too - so?

The solo in Stairway To Heaven contains one of his most typical signature licks - 8th note of the solo - A on the 7th fret changing to D on the 7th fret - played barree with the middle finger). You can also hear this on every LZ album!

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not sloppy per se - some parts are a bit: the open G-string (bar 6) wasn´t hit on purpose B)

The solo in Stairway To Heaven was played by Jimmy Page - listen to all the bootz out there. He´s never repeating himself but the vibrato and the way of phrasing are the very same.

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not the best and not most difficult guitar solo of the LZ catalogue. B)

I am so with you:

I don´t like people who just worship the band without admitting that they sucked sometimes (because they are human, you know)...BTW people like that often use the phrase ´how dare you´ B)

Jimmy Page wasn´t the most reliable player after 1975. He totally lost it in 1977 (found ´it´ again, thank god :D ) when his guitar almost touched the ground.

Still, after seeing him playing the O2 - his attack, his phrasing and vision are sooooo cool! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just live with it, practice pentatonic scales and stop watching the the X-Files. And hell man, take it easy! B)

Ah...the sound of youth... :rolleyes:

That reminds me of the days when I thought Yngwie and Vai were cutting edge and asked myself why Page and others were playing so ´clean`.

Well, until I played a Marshall ´69 Plexi myself and found out - there´s no more gain! So no endless sustain, no legato magic, no chance to hide behind a wall of distortion. You had to ´fight´ your guitar to make it sound heavy. Real fast rock runs are a pain in the a...

And yes, there were fuzz pedals, but they didn´t sound like METAL of the 80ies and 90ies!

To set my record straight:

I´m a professional session player

I´ve been playing guitar since 23 years now. (F..k, I´m old )

I´ve seen and heard the weirdest sh... on six strings, but Jimmy Page is one of the masters. His tone, attack and studio wizardry are beyond extraordinary.

You are right, Jimmy Page is a pentatonic protagonist. Still, Jimmy introduced lydic and mixolydic modes, played lots of chromatic runs and FYI:

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not played (solely) in pentatonic mode (nor is The Rover BTW) - he is using the F. So it´s A-minor. But he´s using the F live, too - so?

The solo in Stairway To Heaven contains one of his most typical signature licks - 8th note of the solo - A on the 7th fret changing to D on the 7th fret - played barree with the middle finger). You can also hear this on every LZ album!

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not sloppy per se - some parts are a bit: the open G-string (bar 6) wasn´t hit on purpose

The solo in Stairway To Heaven was played by Jimmy Page - listen to all the bootz out there. He´s never repeating himself but the vibrato and the way of phrasing are the very same.

The solo in Stairway To Heaven is not the best and not most difficult guitar solo of the LZ catalogue.

I am so with you:

I don´t like people who just worship the band without admitting that they sucked sometimes (because they are human, you know)...BTW people like that often use the phrase ´how dare you´

Jimmy Page wasn´t the most reliable player after 1975. He totally lost it in 1977 (found ´it´ again, thank god :D ) when his guitar almost touched the ground.

Still, after seeing him playing the O2 - his attack, his phrasing and vision are sooooo cool! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just live with it, practice pentatonic scales and stop watching the the X-Files. And hell man, take it easy!

OK. Think I'll take another quaalude. By the way, is it true Brian May's red special was really made out of the casket containing the Shroud of Turin?

Only joking!!

Or, eh, how about this one...

OK, think I'll take another quaalude. By the way, is it true that Brian May's red special was really made out of an old fireplace that his old man rescued...

Or eh, how about this one...

OK, think I'll take another quaalude. By the way, is it true that Brian May's red special was made out of the tail-piece of Orville and Wright's flying machine, the one they flew in, like, around the world, or, eh, across London in, or some crap.

Do you understand me now? Incidentally, love your reference to lydian and all that stuff. Wasn't he the runner up in the Japanese X-Factor? Geddit?! Rhydian...Lydian...LMFHO!!!

Sorry, I've been eh, drinking a beer :o (Shame on you! Shame on you - cried the townsfolk, Of with his head off with his head!!!! :blink:) It's made of rock, let's make it roll!! Geddit?? :rolleyes:

What, may I ask, now that you're a guitarist, in your pentatonically/lydian opinion, no seriously, what in your opinion is the most technically difficult Page solo? You can mention any bootleg if you like, I have them all.

Good to speak, by the way, to another fine Zep head like yourself! Rock on Dude!! You're playing as long as I am. What axe do you play? Got any vids yourself on youtube?

Cheers

Bolwyn Mc'Grath

Guitar players say that any of them has a unique vibrato and you can hear who is playing. Listen to BB King or Jimi Hendrix. And on STH is DEFINITELY Jimmy playing!

No, sorry, this argument is nonsense. You're saying then, albeit implicitly, that there are only as many vibrato techniques as these and the other guitarists you fail to mention. Ha! For every Page, King or Hendricks there is a multitude of wanna be aforementioned axe-grinders who can imitate them, and equally, an equal, if not greater, number of twats who totally fuck it up, like for example, that twit Edge, or The Edge, or Mr Edge, or whatever the f^^k his name is. That idiot can't actually play guitar. Bono programs the sequencer for him. It's a fact.

He can't pull birds cos he mumbles his wurds

They all sound the same, Edge is his name

He's got no hair where it really counts

But he's got a big belly you should see it bounce

Karaoke on the stage

You don't have to play in this day and age

I saw him in town he was shopping around

He spent some time looking a tthe chime in the slime

It's a cry-im

Get me lyrics from the Beano

Get me music from Brian Eno

Adam Clayton has a big willy

He put it on the sleeve - that was very silly

He was in Sydney - Appeared in the vid'n'he

Later got rid'n'he - ruptured a kidney

See? this is art! This is fucking Art! With a capital A. Hey! This is off Tusa Do's 1991 album PLOP!, but more on this later you mortals. Now where was I.....oh yeah

You can put defitinely in caps like this DEFINITELY, but I can put this in caps - DEFINITELY NOT MY FRIEND. Nothing is certain. Hey, I'm only posting this in the response to Randolph's claim that the original STH solo wasn't played by Page.

BTW, what's your favourite Zepp track, U2 track and Queen track? - I'd like to analyse your taste in music (which you have in spades(apologies if you're black)). It's just I'm pretty good at that sort of thing.

Thanks

Bolowyn Mc'Grath

Well I think we can agree that the youtube guy can play it almost note for note. When i get back home I'm going to copy him. I think we can also agree that the organization of the solo and specifically the high note passages and the outro riff never quite sound the same live as they do in this impeccable studio version. I think this has mostly to do with the afore mentioned Tele through Supro amp (tiny). I'm trapped on a work site now, so i have no guitars, but I think that the solo would be easier to play with the fret access available on a tele. True, you can get under the notes in the cutaway of a gibson, but I think there is more fret access and leverage in that 12th-ish fret position on a Tele. I don't currently own one so..anyway, there are at least 2 recycled Page riffs that he always uses, the bends and the vibrato all sound like Page to me. There are photos of him sitting down with his 1970 long hair, playing the Tele. This also might account for how clean this solo is compared to other pre-hand injury solos. Have you ever tried to play your guitar as he does, lower than the lowest position on most guitar straps? You have to use your thumb for the low E, as he does. The nature of showmanship requires a different technique for the stage. A sloppier one.

Not at all. But it shed's light on your implied sleight at those who happen to drink in a pub on a Sunday.

I never made a sleight on anybody who drinks, implied or otherwise. Why can't you see that by saying "it's my drinking buddy who I see once a week for 3 pints" it hurts your credibility. What you are saying, in effect, is "I know a guy and when we're getting pissed at the pub, he told me this...."

No sleight on the fact that you're a drinker, only that you believe the rubbish that other people say when they are drinking.

It is hard for me to believe there is serious debate on this! I posted a couple of times before on this thread as a joke. The couple of you claiming to be guitar players on this thread who think the solo is not Page are full of shit, plain and simple. Page played "out of the box" if it suited his imagination, which was quite often live. By "out of the box" I mean well beyond major or minor, or dominant or whatever. The studio solo was minor, not just pentatonic minor. But I'm not just talking about theory, I am also talking about feeling--the vibrato, like someone else mentioned. If you can't tell that solo is Page then you should not be commenting on this forum. And the talk about "sloppy playing" is bothersome too. I would love to be as sloppy as he is!

And the talk about "sloppy playing" is bothersome too. I would love to be as sloppy as he is!

It's all relative. Sure, compared to Pettruci or Vai, he's sloppy. But compared to Beck he is tight. I find Page's playing to be more real.

I never made a sleight on anybody who drinks, implied or otherwise. Why can't you see that by saying "it's my drinking buddy who I see once a week for 3 pints" it hurts your credibility. What you are saying, in effect, is "I know a guy and when we're getting pissed at the pub, he told me this...."

No sleight on the fact that you're a drinker, only that you believe the rubbish that other people say when they are drinking.

Credibility, hurts my credibility? Fair enough, but that's because you see something wrong with having a pint. And by the way, you don't have to get pissed to have a pint. Anyway it's usually between 5 and 6:30 in the evening - who the hell would get pissed at that early hour? LMFAO!!

If I had said drinking locozade would that have made it any better for you?

Well I think we can agree that the youtube guy can play it almost note for note. When i get back home I'm going to copy him. I think we can also agree that the organization of the solo and specifically the high note passages and the outro riff never quite sound the same live as they do in this impeccable studio version. I think this has mostly to do with the afore mentioned Tele through Supro amp (tiny). I'm trapped on a work site now, so i have no guitars, but I think that the solo would be easier to play with the fret access available on a tele. True, you can get under the notes in the cutaway of a gibson, but I think there is more fret access and leverage in that 12th-ish fret position on a Tele. I don't currently own one so..anyway, there are at least 2 recycled Page riffs that he always uses, the bends and the vibrato all sound like Page to me. There are photos of him sitting down with his 1970 long hair, playing the Tele. This also might account for how clean this solo is compared to other pre-hand injury solos. Have you ever tried to play your guitar as he does, lower than the lowest position on most guitar straps? You have to use your thumb for the low E, as he does. The nature of showmanship requires a different technique for the stage. A sloppier one.

Cool!! You really gonna copy that Randolph guy and post it up on youtube? Jesus, that would be awesome. Can you play like that? :o

That's interesting about the fret access of tele vs gibson - I didn't know that - I'm a red special man myself. Sweet tone!! :D

Hey, I just spotted this on youtube. Some Munich-based guitar guy claiming that Page didn't play on Stairway. What the f**k!! Like, this is my favourite piece of music in all human history. But it's not the first time I've heard this claim. My drinking buddy wasn't surprised, he said he's *known* all along, says all you have to do is listen to the live versions and you can tell that it isn't the same guitarist. But his real source is supposed to be Tim Martin who was Page's guitar tech. Apparently, Martin told a friend of HIS way back that he was there when it was being laid down and it wasn't Page. Now this brings me back to the time I first heard the live solo on TSRTS, to be honest I was shocked at the difference, having gotten to know every intricacy of the IV version. I now love the TSRTS version, and many other boot versions even more (notably the one off Going To California).

What do you think people? Has anyone else heard anything about this? Wouldn't this shake the very foundations of rock music itself?

Hi guys, I'm new here! How y'all doing? Great to stumble upon this board. I'm new to computers relatively but a Zepp head true and true. Just gonna see if this thing posts!

Hi guys, I'm new here! How y'all doing? Great to stumble upon this board. I'm new to computers relatively but a Zepp head true and true. Just gonna see if this thing posts!

That guitar solo is pretty spot-on ain't it, that guy on youtube? Not sure if I buy the whole Jimmy-didn't-actually-play-it concept?

Really?

I agree he didn't actually play it note for note on stage but was that because he actually couldn't do it? I went back and looked at the Third Eye dvd of the O2 gig (y'all know when it was!) and sure enough he didn't (butI'd say couldn't) play it then. Jimmy cut out the dead space between the fanfare bit and the solo that he usually played in live versions and went straight for the killer solo, but he really screwed it up because he played an out of tune note that he fixed there and then but the damage had been done. A case of The Fingers And The Damage Done! His solo was ^nice^ but there was certainly nothing heavenly about it. Whatcha think?

BTW, don't want to offend any of my Zepp bretheren out there, in here, or wherever in Cyber Space you all exist, so go down easy on me!

Anyway, guitar players like Jimmy are damn sexy and anyone who can play like him, even the guy on youtube gets my thumbs up. Just think of all the training that took. I wonder what else he can play just like the original.

Hey, what we need here is Jimmy Page to get onto this here discussion and set the record straight. Well, this is the second and longest time I've posted here. Kinda weird to be talking to so many fans. How many women fans apart from me are there anyway?

- Kate

Archived