LZ I took 30 hours. Jimmy knows because he paid the studio bill. Please cite even one shred of credible evidence to support a 1980 double album was exactly what the Band needed and wanted to release.

I see your 30 hours and raise you Page nailing all the Presence solos in a single night! Guess we all win this one, yes!! :beer:

"When I used the term “previously unreleased” It was implied that the material was recorded and never used…Out-takes…"

i was fucking with you. sorry. i thought you knew...

"Mothership” is not an LP (Long Play Record) yet…In August it will be their last LP…"

it's their last LP. just because you have to wait until august doesn't mean it ain't pressed yet..

"CD’s are not classified as LP’s…"

you got one right.

"Read the inside of the original “Coda” LP and it states that “I Can’t Quit You Baby” was recorded during a sound check at Page’s Request"

i have "coda" on long-playing record, lol. i cut class to get it, too. (southern illinois university). at first glance and listen, it was both exhilirating and depressing.

it does say that on the sleeve.

it's wrong.

didn't you get any albert hall boots or the DVD? didn't take a peek at the song on the video page of this website? you should check it out. if you thought the recording is smoking, watch the film..

sorry about the fire.

".. I had an original Zeppelin III with the “Gold Release” Award on it…"

secondary (subsequent) pressing

"And I forgot how many copy’s of “In Through” I purchased to try and collect all six versions…In a Paper Bag…"

i have all six...and some dupes. which ones do you need?

No offense taken…It was apparent you were having some fun…So I returned the favor…No I have not bought a boot since the 80’s except for Destroyer…77 concert recorded in Washington and the sound is worse then the LP and when it was put on CD the Nut Cracker melody was cut out of “No Quarter”…Now if you know of a good recording of this I am interested…Also considering that most boos sound crappy…I don’t purchase them when I come across them…But if you know different let me know…

I am more then sure It was a first pressing because it had the Alistair Crowley quotes stamped on the inner edge of the vinyl…on the A side "Do What Thou Wilt..." and on side B, "So Mote Be It"…

Does Coda qualify as a Zeppelin record? Yes it does.

Even though it was released after the band official broke up, it still contained unreleased tracks from their career and thank god it was put out. To me, I always wondered why this album and Presence are so overlooked. They're both great albums!

Anyways, tell your friend that you win. If it was not an official album, Page would not have added it to The Complete Studio Recordings. So there..that's done. We can debate all we want but it's the band who have the final say so. At least it wasn't a damn greatest hits album which I'm sure they could have put out in '82 to fulfill their contract but they chose to put CODA out..So i'm satisfied with it being an official album.

Destroyer 77 was recorded in Cleveland. B)

"Do what thou wilt" was not limited to the first pressing, but was rather lost several runs later when Atlantic went to thinner vinyl.

Mothership is a greatest hits, not an albumTo me, an album is something that documents a new effort (or in the case of PG or CODA) new material that might have been held over from a previous release. I hesitate to call Dearlene or Ozone Baby outtakes. Sometimes there isn't room on a single LP for everything that you've got and you go with what flows best as a single statement. I wouldn't call Houses of the Holy an outtake, despite the fact that it didn't fit the vibe of the album that bears its name (my opinion of course.).

And what new LP is coming out in August? Did I misread a quote taken from something else? :huh:

And what new LP is coming out in August? Did I misread a quote taken from something else? :huh:

Why, haven't you been reading the forum??? The new album will be called:Magik in Toronto(Double live).

It's due to be released a day after the last show and will be debuted at the Blue Jay game the following night.

:D:D:D

Why, haven't you been reading the forum??? The new album will be called:Magik in Toronto(Double live).

It's due to be released a day after the last show and will be debuted at the Blue Jay game the following night.

:D:D:D

Well actually no. I haven't been for some time. Is this some crazy rumor, or are you having a laugh at my expense? :lol:

Is that you Ria? I haven't seen you since the new board started. How are you? (If you're someone with her old forum username, please disregard). :wave:

Well actually no. I haven't been for some time. Is this some crazy rumor, or are you having a laugh at my expense? :lol:

Is that you Ria? I haven't seen you since the new board started. How are you? (If you're someone with her old forum username, please disregard). :wave:

Sorry Ev, thought you might have read the "4 nights in Toronto" thread by now.

And for the 5th time, i'm NOT Ria so i'll disregard.

Sorry Ev, thought you might have read the "4 nights in Toronto" thread by now.

And for the 5th time, i'm NOT Ria so i'll disregard.

Sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be! :lol:

Yeah, I'll check out the thread. Thanks! :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

I Cant Quit You is not the sound-check... listen to them both side-by-side (CODA and official DVD) you will see.. the only thing different is that Page edited out the end of the guitar solo to make it shorter.

I don't know why the LP says this, maybe whoever did their packaging mis-labled it (it was 12 years after the concert, so I'm sure the band didn't know any difference and didn't really look into it). Or maybe its just one of those things that slipped through the cracks.

Thus, unless they were really good at doing the same song twice, exactly the same, then its not the soundcheck.

I know Were Gonna Groove is from Royal Albert Hall as well, but haven't listened to both to determine wether or not its a soundcheck or if its the actual performance... but if memory serves me, its the actual performance.

Phil Collins lives in Switzerland now but he wasn't on Bonham's drum kit at Mountain Studios in Montreux on September 12th 1976 when that track was recorded.

Of course CODA "counts". For one thing, look up the definition of coda. For another,

all of the material on it was recorded prior to the demise of the group, with the

exception of some of Robert's vocals which were recorded after 1980.

Erm.....i think you need to check your sense of humour, mate

YOU BET YOUR GOD-DAMN ASS IT COUNTS.

Listen to some of you people... I don't want to put words in anyones mouths but jesus... its Zeppelin. Maybe Bonham didn't have any creative input in arranging the album, but he DID have creative input on the songs on the album as evident by him playing. I'm sure he wouldn't have objected to it being released. Why can't it just be appreciated for what it is - a tribute to the world's greatest rock dummer put out by the world's greatest rock band.

If you dont think it counts, then throw away your BBC Sessions, How The West Was Won, and official DVD's. I sure as hell aren't going to do that.

The two Royal Albert Hall performances on that album were rejects? :huh: I find that interesting seeing as that was probably one of their best performances ever.

Anyways, the main may say its a bunch of rejects, but it also slated I Can't Quit You as a soundcheck when it was really the actual concert performance with some of the solo cut out, so I don't know how credible whoever it was that wrote that actually was.

of course it counts, why wouldn't it? all 4 members of Led Zeppelin are on it, nobody else fills in, as far as I'm aware, on any extra instruments. of course it's an album, an album is merely a collection of songs gathered together on a disc, or cassette. last I checked, BBC Sessions, How The West Was Won, The Song Remains The Same, all were albums. all contain music, gathered together on some physical medium. is it an official "studio" album? I'd tend to say no, simply because it was all scraps and was never written to be a cohesive studio effort. it was just an odds and ends type album, a "hey we've got some leftover stuff in the vaults you might like to hear" type album. it's certainly just as much of an album as Odds & Sods was for The Who, BBC Sessions for Cream, The Sky Is Crying for Stevie Ray Vaughan, and countless other artists who merely thought their fanbase would enjoy listening to cuts that didn't make it onto previous albums. so, of course Coda is a Led Zeppelin album, what the hell else would it be? a pretty coaster that happened to play music? you know what wouldn't be a Led Zeppelin album? anything recorded after 09/25/1980.

I Cant Quit You is not the sound-check... listen to them both side-by-side (CODA and official DVD) you will see.. the only thing different is that Page edited out the end of the guitar solo to make it shorter.

I don't know why the LP says this, maybe whoever did their packaging mis-labled it (it was 12 years after the concert, so I'm sure the band didn't know any difference and didn't really look into it). Or maybe its just one of those things that slipped through the cracks.

Thus, unless they were really good at doing the same song twice, exactly the same, then its not the soundcheck.

I know Were Gonna Groove is from Royal Albert Hall as well, but haven't listened to both to determine wether or not its a soundcheck or if its the actual performance... but if memory serves me, its the actual performance.

I agree. They're both from the RAH performance. ICQYB has an edit or two, and We're Gonna Groove has some overdubbed guitars, but they were both from the show. I have always wondered about the soundcheck credit too. I had a boot of that show before CODA came out, and I was like WTF? :lol:

No it doesn't count, it is an extra of their recordings that never made it to the original 8 albums.

Whoa there. :huh:

Until now I've avoided this thread because it's silly. But after reading comments like that I have to chime in. Those songs may have been considered "rejects" but they're essentially outtakes from various albums. While not my personal favorite album it's still Led Zeppelin. Why on Earth would that not qualify it as official? Not only that but it contains some great music. Wearing And Tearing is my favorite track. That song kicks ass! We're Gonna Groove, I Can't Quit You Baby... both live. And Bonzo's Montreux is absolutely earth shattering.

Just because they didn't make the cut the first time around does not mean they should be cast aside. If you really want to get picky though... CODA was released to fulfill contractual obligations to Atlantic as the band owed them one more album.

DOD, I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'd like to make a couple of points. Wearing and Tearing was intended for a single to coincide with Knebworth. That's why it was held. Also, I wouldn't say they "didn't make the cut". It wasn't about which were the better songs, but rather how the album flowed from song to song. Take for example Houses of the Holy (the song). It didn't make the album because Page felt it didn't quite have a place in the song to song flow of the album that bears its name. But it certainly made the cut opening side two of PG. It was more a matter of where it fit in context. Then, of course, you have the fact that several cuts on CODA were live tracks never intended to be on a studio album. And Bonzo's Montreaux was just something Jimmy and Bonzo did in the studio. Probably never intended to be on an album.

But does it count? Hell yes! :beer:

Oh, and my band decided to add Weraing and Tearing to our set just last week! :D

Awww yeah! :banana:

And a tidy little set it is! :D

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

What is and What Should Never Be

OTHAFA

Custard Pie

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Wearing and Tearing

TSRTS

Rain Song

I'm Gonna Crawl

All My Love

Rock and Roll (into)

Celebration Day

Bring it on Home

The Lemon Song (medley w/WLL and D&C sections)

The Ocean

Yeah baby! :beer:

It does not count because in the main it consists of rejected songs that deserved to be rejected - INHO

WHAT! They didn't derseve to be rejected CODA is the SHIT, but they just couldn't put all the songs they wanted to on the orignal 8 so they had to leave some out.

DOD, I mostly agree with what you're saying, but I'd like to make a couple of points. Wearing and Tearing was intended for a single to coincide with Knebworth. That's why it was held. Also, I wouldn't say they "didn't make the cut". It wasn't about which were the better songs, but rather how the album flowed from song to song. Take for example Houses of the Holy (the song). It didn't make the album because Page felt it didn't quite have a place in the song to song flow of the album that bears its name. But it certainly made the cut opening side two of PG. It was more a matter of where it fit in context. Then, of course, you have the fact that several cuts on CODA were live tracks never intended to be on a studio album. And Bonzo's Montreaux was just something Jimmy and Bonzo did in the studio. Probably never intended to be on an album.

But does it count? Hell yes! :beer:

Oh, and my band decided to add Weraing and Tearing to our set just last week! :D

As the album is Coda some tracks get by, and some did not. but if you had heard the

tracks before the album came out well good luck. I thought it was Bonzo,s Montreaux that made

the album. Good luck with wearing & tearing.......Yes it counts,

As the album is Coda some tracks get by, and some did not. but if you had heard the

tracks before the album came out well good luck. I thought it was Bonzo,s Montreaux that made

the album. Good luck with wearing & tearing.......Yes it counts,

I meant Bonzo's Montreaux didn't make it onto In Through the Out Door. :beer:

And yes, I do have earlier versions of the live songs. The RAH stuff. Not Ozone Baby or Darlene...

Good arguments all around and a lot of good points.

At first glance I have always said this album really does'nt count but now I've changed my mind

And the bottom line for me is that it is Zeppelin. All 4 original members,and I think that speaks for

it's self.

Archived