Zoso or Led Zeppelin IV?

The Fourth Led Zeppelin album is often refered to as 'Zoso'. Just as often it is refered to as 'Led Zeppelin IV' and on occasion it is even called something like 'Ruin' or 'Ruins'.

What the heck is the albums proper name?

Officially Is the album untitled?

If I was to run in to Jimmy Page, Robert Plant or J.P. Jones and say 'pardon me mate but what was the name of Led Zeppelins fourth album?' how would they respond?

Also I am of course aware that Initially they performed their earliest shows as The Yardbirds or New Yardbirds. But on what date and where did they FIRST perform as Led Zeppelin?

Any Info: on these two concerns would be greatly appreciated.

And may I say that this is a top notch web-site. One of the very best I have ever visited!

Cheers~

American Ringo

about the album: The album has no "official" name. The reason way is because they were tired of being critized for things like that. It's also the reason for the cover having no writing on it.

As for the first day they performed as Led Zeppelin you'll have to check with someone else because I'm not really sure.

The Fourth Led Zeppelin album is often refered to as 'Zoso'. Just as often it is refered to as 'Led Zeppelin IV' and on occasion it is even called something like 'Ruin' or 'Ruins'.

If I was to run in to Jimmy Page, Robert Plant or J.P. Jones and say 'pardon me mate but what was the name of Led Zeppelins fourth album?' how would they respond?

Also I am of course aware that Initially they performed their earliest shows as The Yardbirds or New Yardbirds. But on what date and where did they FIRST perform as Led Zeppelin?

And may I say that this is a top notch web-site. One of the very best I have ever visited!

Cheers~

American Ringo

The Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup performed publicly for the first time on Sat, September 7th 1968 at Teen Club Box 45 in Gladsaxe, Denmark. They were billed as

"Yard Birds" with support from Fourways and Bodies.

The first confirmed public performance of the Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup after

the Scandanavian tour is Fri, October 4th 1968 at The Mayfair in Newcastle, England.

Bear in mind they continued to be billed as "Yard Birds" or "New Yardbirds" or "Yardbirds

nee Led Zeppelin" or "Led Zeppelin (formerly Yardbirds)" through the rest of 1968. I

have covered this in greater detail in a Yardbirds thread within the Trivia Section of

this forum.

Although it was marketed as an untitled release, the proper title for their fourth album

is 'Led Zeppelin IV'.

AmericanRingo, I remember when the album was released and my friends and I usually just called it the 4th album. There were many kids, though, who called it "Zoso" because, when you pulled out the inner sleeve, Jimmy's symbol was the first thing that you saw and it looked like a word that could be pronounced. Back then, I don't remember any young fans actually referring to the album as "Led Zeppelin IV".

Cheers~

American Ringo

That would be Runes.

about the album: The album has no "official" name. The reason way is because they were tired of being critized for things like that. It's also the reason for the cover having no writing on it.

As for the first day they performed as Led Zeppelin you'll have to check with someone else because I'm not really sure.

Thanks so much, I suspected the album (with 3 different names) had no official title

Only giants could release a record w/o their name on it.

The Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup performed publicly for the first time on Sat, September 7th 1968 at Teen Club Box 45 in Gladsaxe, Denmark. They were billed as

"Yard Birds" with support from Fourways and Bodies.

The first confirmed public performance of the Page, Jones, Plant, Bonham lineup after

the Scandanavian tour is Fri, October 4th 1968 at The Mayfair in Newcastle, England.

Bear in mind they continued to be billed as "Yard Birds" or "New Yardbirds" or "Yardbirds

nee Led Zeppelin" or "Led Zeppelin (formerly Yardbirds)" through the rest of 1968. I

have covered this in greater detail in a Yardbirds thread within the Trivia Section of

this forum.

Although it was marketed as an untitled release, the proper title for their fourth album

is 'Led Zeppelin IV'.

Thanks for the Info; fascinating.

So to the world @ large it's Led Zeppelin IV though 'officially' it would be the untitled fourth album by Led Zeppelin.

Between 'Zoso', 'IV' & 'Rune' it's the untitled record with 3 names (depending on who you talk to).

From the interviews I recall, and as Robert referred to it when announcing songs onstage, it was "The Fourth Album". The other albums were always referred by their proper titles, as opposed to their chronolgy. So I call it "The Fourth Album". But hey, that's just me folks! :beer:

Thanks for the Info; fascinating.

So to the world @ large it's Led Zeppelin IV though 'officially' it would be the untitled fourth album by Led Zeppelin.

Between 'Zoso', 'IV' & 'Rune' it's the untitled record with 3 names (depending on who you talk to).

To the world at large it's called by many names, as you have seen here. To Atlantic

Records it's 'Led Zeppelin IV' for documentation and business purposes. I have some quotes on file from Jimmy to support this and will post them as soon as possible.

To the world at large it's called by many names, as you have seen here. To Atlantic

Records it's 'Led Zeppelin IV' for documentation and business purposes. I have some quotes on file from Jimmy to support this and will post them as soon as possible.

In the states the remastered discs have the symbols on the spine. Go figure! :lol:

I have a book about the album and everytime the name is refered to it shows the symbols. I think I remember someone asking Jimmy what the band called the album and he said that the called it The Fourth Album or Led Zeppelin 4.

I have before me an ancient Blender in which Robert refers to it as "Led Zeppelin IV" and "Zep IV." (But as this is in print there is no way to know if he actually said "Four" or "One-Vee"--the latter seems unlikely. ;) ) I have another article in which he refers to it as "the fourth album." So there we have it. (Where? :wacko: )

I have before me an ancient Blender in which Robert refers to it as "Led Zeppelin IV" and "Zep IV." (But as this is in print there is no way to know if he actually said "Four" or "One-Vee"--the latter seems unlikely. ;) ) I have another article in which he refers to it as "the fourth album." So there we have it. (Where? :wacko: )

Thanks for digging through your stuff on file Aqua and clearing this up for us!

Hi all,

The fact it is the forth album from the band called Led Zeppelin,yes it didn't have a 'title',nor the bands name on the cover.Yes we saw the 'symbols' or 'runes',...inside.

I have a question for you all: what band had the true bullocks to release their next album with no hint of anything?Atlantic,from what I understand was screaming about this,remember,no internet,just some mags,rumours among friends,...

Or is this a new thread? :(

KB (been a long time,...)

I have a question for you all: what band had the true bullocks to release their next album with no hint of anything?Atlantic,from what I understand was screaming about this,remember,no internet,just some mags,rumours among friends,...

Spinal Tap: Smell The Glove

also known as "The Black Album".

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin

That's what I said.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand

Or so I have read.

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo.

I love to sink her with my pink torpedo.

Big bottom

Big bottom

Talk about bum cakes,

My gal's got 'em.

Big bottom,

Drive me out of my mind.

How can I leave this behind?

I saw her on monday, twas my lucky bun day

You know what I mean.

I love her each weekday, each velvety cheekday

You know what I mean.

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights