BBQ Specialities

moffo

As it's nearing the BBQ season, us Brits aren't as good as some nations at BBQ, so fellow Zep heads from around the world, do you have any favourite recipes that we can throw on a barbie?

Happy eating!!! B)

Well, it's pretty hard to beat a rib steak - the way the fat is marbled around the meat makes it almost impossible to not get right. I marinate mine in sherry and worchester sauce, with some Emeril's steak rub rubbed in. Leave it sit out at room temperature a few hours before cooking, and dip it back in the marinate after it's about half cooked.

For pork ribs, I found precooking the ribs in the oven, at a very low temperature (225* F) for at least 2 hours makes them very tender. Marinate in a shallow pan first - leave the marinate in, and cover the pan with tin foil when putting in the oven. Then remove and cook on the grill for about 20 minutes, with the BBQ sauce slathered on. For the marinate, I use a flavored vinegar - like apple cider or tarragon. For the BBQ sauce, I mix ketchup, honey, brown sugar, Worchester sauce, and a little orange juice.

Last week, I made Shish Kabob and rack of lamb. I have a Weber grill, which makes it a pleasure - no burnt or unevenly cooked food anymore!

Hi all,

As it's nearing the BBQ season, us Brits aren't as good as some nations at BBQ, so fellow Zep heads from around the world, do you have any favourite recipes that we can throw on a barbie?Happy eating!!! B)

1) what kind of meats/seafood,etc do ye like?

2) what 'tool's' do you have? Ye need a real grill one with a rotary on it,... B)

Got a smoker? "Kansas City here we come!"

Dry rubs,home made sauces,etc,....I'll set you up!

Next on the Food Channel: 'BBQ, Great Britian,the untold story'.

:cheer:

KB

sure... great BBQ comes from Memphis, Kansas City and the south...

but im here to represent our awesome upstate NY BBQ contriubution!!!

DINOSAUR BBQ SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR_BBQue.jpg

its sweeter then KC Masterpiece, but its got a small kick that makes it interessting!

I highly recomend buying some of their sauce! here is their website, and it should have some BBQ tips in there as well!!! B)

DINOSAUR BBQ

enjoy your BBQ adventure, across the pond! B)

I just got a new BBQ beef recipe that I'm stoked to try out. I'll let you guys know after I try it to make sure it's good.

As for ribs tips, one of my customers told me to use apple juice instead of Coke to tenderize the meat before you grill them...(she said to use about a cup of apple juice and marinade it in liquid smoke and then grill for an hour on low)

Liquid smoke search...

as a easy side dish... cut up all kinds of your favorite veggies...mix with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper and cook in tin foil...everyone's favorite!

I think I'll try that.

I like all fo the stuff you included... LOL

Marinate some chicken breasts in Teriaki sauce for 4 hours or so.

Slice up some pineapple rings. Fresh pineapple please.

Throw those on the grill, browning both sides of the chicken and pineapple.

Melt some swiss cheese on the chicken.

Toast some rolls or buns.

Place your chicken and pineapple on the buns.

Add some mayo, lettuce and tomato if desired.

I'm pretty new to this BBQ lark as we don't have the weather to have them that often. All I have is a kettle BBQ, are charcoal BBQ's better than the gas ones? All advice and recipes are being noted, my mouth is watering at the thought of all that meat and prawns...... mmmmmmmmmm.... just wish the rain would hold off!!!

I'm pretty new to this BBQ lark as we don't have the weather to have them that often. All I have is a kettle BBQ, are charcoal BBQ's better than the gas ones? All advice and recipes are being noted, my mouth is watering at the thought of all that meat and prawns...... mmmmmmmmmm.... just wish the rain would hold off!!!

It's easier to control the heat with gas or propane. With charcoal, I found that with things like chicken I would pre cook it and then finish it off on the BBQ. Meat on the other hand...It just depends on how you like it cooked

It's easier to control the heat with gas or propane. With charcoal, I found that with things like chicken I would pre cook it and then finish it off on the BBQ. Meat on the other hand...It just depends on how you like it cooked

They say charcoal is the best, but it takes time and the mess of disposal. I think I do pretty well with the good quality gas grill. A cheap one would be a waste of good food, over the long run - with the burnt or undercooked portions, and replacement?

I just got a new BBQ beef recipe that I'm stoked to try out. I'll let you guys know after I try it to make sure it's good.

As for ribs tips, one of my customers told me to use apple juice instead of Coke to tenderize the meat before you grill them...(she said to use about a cup of apple juice and marinade it in liquid smoke and then grill for an hour on low)

Liquid smoke search...

Didn't I preach apple cider vinegar loud enough, already?

As I promised, I said I'd share my BBQ beef recipe if it was good after I tried it out. Here it is, and man...it's wonderful!

Crock Pot Barbequed Beef

3 lbs lean roast, such as round or rump(remove all fat, cut into

chunks)

3-4 large stalks of celery, chopped

3 large onions, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

sauce

1 c. ketchup

1-6 oz can tomato paste

½ c. brown sugar

¼ c. cider vinegar

3 TB chili powder

2 TB lemon juice

2 TB molasses

2 tsp salt

2 tsp Westchester cathedral

1 tsp dried mustard

¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes

Remove all fat and connective tissues, cut roast into big, cross grain chucks 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Pay attention to which way the grain is going. Chop veggies. Put down some of the onions into the crock pot, then put the meat, and then put the vegetables on the top. Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl, (use a whisk to mix well), and pour over meat and veggie mixture; use a rubber spatula to scrape all of it in the crock. DO NOT stir the mixture. Cover and leave it for 5+ hours or until it is bubbling in the middle of the crock. When it bubbles, stir it well. Begin checking 8+ hours after you started, or until the meat is very soft and able to be shredded.

Remove meat chucks and shred the meat with two forks (which is why you want to pay attention to the grain when you cut up the roast), and return to sauce and heat through. If you have a larger crock, go to a 4.5 lb roast and increase everything but the cooking time by 50%.

Slather meat on a bun. Extra condiment ideas: sweet pickles, Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce, ground pepper, and onions, shredded extra sharp cheese. This freezes really well.

Sounds awesome - but it never hits the BBQ???

Chicken wings (halfway to Buffalo) tonight:

Marinate wing sections in Balsamic vinegar, Worcheshire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder - any other spices, too. Warm up grill to lowest, even heat. Put wings on grill, turning occasionally and dipping back in marinate occasionally. Cook at least 1 hour, until very browned and crispy. Put in casserole dish and top with slices of butter and shake lots of Louisiana hot sauce over the wings. Toss around, and chow down!

Sounds awesome - but it never hits the BBQ???

Chicken wings (halfway to Buffalo) tonight:

Marinate wing sections in Balsamic vinegar, Worcheshire sauce, salt, pepper, and garlic powder - any other spices, too. Warm up grill to lowest, even heat. Put wings on grill, turning occasionally and dipping back in marinate occasionally. Cook at least 1 hour, until very browned and crispy. Put in casserole dish and top with slices of butter and shake lots of Louisiana hot sauce over the wings. Toss around, and chow down!

I'm a sucker for wings, i'll be needing a new motherboard if i do anymore drooling!!!!

As I promised, I said I'd share my BBQ beef recipe if it was good after I tried it out. Here it is, and man...it's wonderful!

Crock Pot Barbequed Beef

chunks)

3 large onions, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

sauce

1 c. ketchup

1-6 oz can tomato paste

½ c. brown sugar

¼ c. cider vinegar

3 TB chili powder

2 TB lemon juice

2 TB molasses

2 tsp salt

1 tsp dried mustard

Remove all fat and connective tissues, cut roast into big, cross grain chucks 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Pay attention to which way the grain is going. Chop veggies. Put down some of the onions into the crock pot, then put the meat, and then put the vegetables on the top. Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl, (use a whisk to mix well), and pour over meat and veggie mixture; use a rubber spatula to scrape all of it in the crock. DO NOT stir the mixture. Cover and leave it for 5+ hours or until it is bubbling in the middle of the crock. When it bubbles, stir it well. Begin checking 8+ hours after you started, or until the meat is very soft and able to be shredded.

Remove meat chucks and shred the meat with two forks (which is why you want to pay attention to the grain when you cut up the roast), and return to sauce and heat through. If you have a larger crock, go to a 4.5 lb roast and increase everything but the cooking time by 50%.

Slather meat on a bun. Extra condiment ideas: sweet pickles, Crystal Louisiana Pure Hot Sauce, ground pepper, and onions, shredded extra sharp cheese. This freezes really well.

Thank you Manders :)

Crock Pot Barbequed Beef

chunks)

3 large onions, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

sauce

1 c. ketchup

1-6 oz can tomato paste

½ c. brown sugar

¼ c. cider vinegar

3 TB chili powder

2 TB lemon juice

2 TB molasses

2 tsp salt

1 tsp dried mustard

On the sauce ingredients list, what is the 'c' as in 1 c ketchup? You will have to forgive me, i'm used to metric... lol

Sounds like a great recipe!!

On the sauce ingredients list, what is the 'c' as in 1 c ketchup? You will have to forgive me, i'm used to metric... lol

Sounds like a great recipe!!

c= cup

United States customary cup

United States customary cup is defined as half a U.S. pint.

1 U.S. customary cup = 0.5 U.S. pints

= 8 U.S. fluid ounces

= 236.5882365 millilitres ≈ 237 ml

≈ 15⅔ international tablespoons[5]

≈ 11¾ Australian tablespoons

≈ 0.8327 imperial cups

≈ 8.3267 imperial fluid ounces

c= cup

United States customary cup

United States customary cup is defined as half a U.S. pint.

1 U.S. customary cup = 0.5 U.S. pints

= 8 U.S. fluid ounces

= 236.5882365 millilitres ≈ 237 ml

≈ 15⅔ international tablespoons[5]

≈ 11¾ Australian tablespoons

≈ 0.8327 imperial cups

≈ 8.3267 imperial fluid ounces

Why thank you... How do you know all this??? Just off the top of your head?? :blink:

As it's nearing the BBQ season, us Brits aren't as good as some nations at BBQ, so fellow Zep heads from around the world, do you have any favourite recipes that we can throw on a barbie?

Happy eating!!! B)

Thats the way Georgians do The BBQ. you cut the onion, some greens and put them in copper and then you put the BBQ meat (alredy cut)(dont forget to mix the onion greens and meet) in it and pour some vinegar(or Red wine)(wine is better)(add some pomegranate also) in it and leave it for night for the meat to soak in the juice... Vuala... The other day you Fry it and be grateful. ;) That will be the best BBQ you ever gonna have....

openhouse013.jpg

Last weekend .Steak and potatoes with a little mushroom and onion action.

Look at those grill marks would ya.

My wife had grilled halibut.I didn't get any pics. :lol:

You didn't pour Franks hot sauce all over that fine looking steak did you? :o

Grilled halibut sounds intriguing :D