Devo Suing McDonalds Over Happy Meal Toy

Jahfin

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4583430a12.html

730709.jpg

'STOLEN' ENERGY DOME: New Wave icons Devo are suing McDonalds over a Happy Meal doll called 'New Wave Nigel' which the band says steals its trademarked 'energy dome' hat.

Post-punk pioneers Devo say they are suing McDonald's in the US over a Happy Meal doll that sports the band's signature red flower pot hat.

In April the fast food chain released a series of American Idol Happy Meal toys in the US based on a range of music genres, including Disco Dave, Country Clay, Rockin' Riley and Soulful Selma.

Devo's complaint relates to New Wave Nigel, a toy kitted out in an orange jumpsuit, pink shades, and Devo's "energy dome" hat.

The band also allege that the toy plays a "Devo-esque song".

Bass player Gerald Casale said the band were taking legal action against McDonald's for using their copyrighted hat without permission.

"We are in the midst of suing them," Casale told AAP.

"This New Wave Nigel doll that they've created is just a complete Devo rip-off and the red hat is exactly the red hat that I designed, and it's copyrighted and trademarked.

"They didn't ask us anything. Plus, we don't like McDonald's, and we don't like American Idol, so we're doubly offended."

Comment was being sought from McDonald's.

Devo, who formed in Akron, Ohio, in 1974, are famous for their 1980 hit Whip It, and are credited with helping to usher in the synth pop sound of the 1980s.

The name Devo comes from "de-evolution" - the idea that instead of evolving, mankind has actually regressed.

Casale said it was ironic the world's largest fast food chain should appropriate the image of a band known for taking aim at the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society.

"The very same people that wanted nothing to do with Devo and looked down on Devo and condescended (to) Devo... enough time's gone by that they go, 'Hey, you know those guys are synonymous with what was new about New Wave,"' he said.

"'So if we're going to do New Wave Nigel what do people recognise iconically better than Devo and the red hat?"'

Good. FUCK YOU MCDONALDS. That's all I have to say. It's the most disgusting of chains save Walmart. People who think their food qualifies as a decent food substitute are idiots. And I really don't care who I offend by saying that. People need to actually think about what they put into their bodies.

I know this was a post about Devo as well, but I heard McDonals and I see red. The whole opperation of fast food is rediculous.

Good. FUCK YOU MCDONALDS. That's all I have to say. It's the most disgusting of chains save Walmart. People who think their food qualifies as a decent food substitute are idiots. And I really don't care who I offend by saying that. People need to actually think about what they put into their bodies.

I know this was a post about Devo as well, but I heard McDonals and I see red. The whole opperation of fast food is rediculous.

Fixed that for you..... B)

....and I completely,totally, unequivically (sp?) agree with you.I haven't eaten that shit in almost four years,and now I don't know how I could've in the first place.I recently had to stop there for a bathroom break,and just the smell of it made me sick.

I also think Devo has a shot a winning,or at least getting a settlement.

I threw a halloween party many years ago, and four of us dressed up in full Devo costumes. I spent a lot of time fabricating my energy hat from boiler smokepipe reducer sections, then spray painted it bright glossy red. The other guys just used red construction paper. They were not fully de-evolutionized...

Watch the movie Super Size Me and you should lose any desire to consume fast food again (if you haven't already).

924236super-size-me-posters.jpg

I've seen that, but surprisingly, I still eat fast food.

I ATE A FAST FOOD BURGER! OH NOES I'M GONNA GAIN 5,000 POUNDS AND DIE AT 22!

Looks like the general message to me. But in the end, since they didn't consult them first, then yeah, have to say I guess Devo should get it.

I've seen that, but surprisingly, I still eat fast food.

I ATE A FAST FOOD BURGER! OH NOES I'M GONNA GAIN 5,000 POUNDS AND DIE AT 22!

Looks like the general message to me. But in the end, since they didn't consult them first, then yeah, have to say I guess Devo should get it.

So you've seen the movie, yet make stupid comments about dying young due to being over-weight?

Did you miss the part where it damaged his liver, or gave him heart palpitations?

That shit is bad for you, no matter what you say. And it aims itself at blue collar demographic, and children.

Fixed that for you..... B)

....and I completely,totally, unequivically (sp?) agree with you.I haven't eaten that shit in almost four years,and now I don't know how I could've in the first place.I recently had to stop there for a bathroom break,and just the smell of it made me sick.

I also think Devo has a shot a winning,or at least getting a settlement.

i'd rather pee my pants than walk through the door...

^^ LOL, both I guess.. They are using the hat for their own profits, just as they use young emploees and paying them shite wageses and selling shite food that is a threat for the public health. I try to stay away from McDonalds and other fast food chains as much as possible, even though I once in a while eat a burger.

So you've seen the movie, yet make stupid comments about dying young due to being over-weight?

Did you miss the part where it damaged his liver, or gave him heart palpitations?

That shit is bad for you, no matter what you say. And it aims itself at blue collar demographic, and children.

Havent seen the movie...heard about parts of it. Theres no question the stuff is bad for ya...but that dude took it to the extreme..ate there 3x a day for a month? no shit bad stuff will happen...eating it every once in awhile isnt gonna be to bad...that is if you like the taste or whatever. I eat there from time to time....but that movie is just a little to extreme...if you're eating mcdonalds 3x a day than that person deserves what they get imo.

Havent seen the movie...heard about parts of it. Theres no question the stuff is bad for ya...but that dude took it to the extreme..ate there 3x a day for a month? no shit bad stuff will happen...eating it every once in awhile isnt gonna be to bad...that is if you like the taste or whatever. I eat there from time to time....but that movie is just a little to extreme...if you're eating mcdonalds 3x a day than that person deserves what they get imo.

Exactly. having a burger or so there or whatever isn't gonna kill you, Jahfin (and everybody and their mother) make it to be that if you eat just ONE, you'll put on tons of pounds and get something wrong. I know of the problems of fast food, but I don't care. I'm fat already, leave me be.

The one question I have with all the anti-McDonald's attitude is why are they the only ones to get singled out? They are not the only fast food chain in the world....the biggest yes, but man are they getting the brunt of the backlash.

"Super Size Me" was a ridiculous 'documentary.' And unrealistic. It doesn't have to be McDonald's to cause your health to deteriorate. A poor diet is a poor diet whether it's McDonald's or some other junk. Even if you prepare your own homecooked meals drenched in butter/sugar it will catch up to you sooner or later.

Furthermore, nobody forces you to walk into a McDonald's and eat their food. Sure they have mass marketing and try to entice children with happy meal toys or bla bla bla BUT each person is responsible for their own choices/actions. For example, the case where there was an obese girl whose family sued McDonald's saying her obesity was McDonald's fault. This is exactly what is wrong in this world. If McDonald's broke through her front door and shoved Big Macs down her throat, they would have a case. But I guess it's easier if you can throw the blame somewhere else and try to sue for some crazy amount of money.

In the case of the Devo hats, if they did indeed steal their "look" Micky D's is in the wrong.

Edited by the queen without a king

I'd love to know where I ever said this:

Exactly. having a burger or so there or whatever isn't gonna kill you, Jahfin (and everybody and their mother) make it to be that if you eat just ONE, you'll put on tons of pounds and get something wrong.

Fact of the matter is, I didn't. What I did say was this:

Watch the movie Super Size Me and you should lose any desire to consume fast food again (if you haven't already).

I still eat fast food on occasion but for the most part I try my best to avoid it. Due to recent health concerns I've had to drastically change my diet. Now, on that rare occasion when I do eat something fried (not necessarily fast food) it doesn't sit well with me because of altering my diet. I never said eating just one burger from McDonalds would cause someone to "put on tons of pounds".

It also seems some have completely misconstrued the purpose behind the movie Super-Size Me. For some accurate information regarding the movie I suggest reading this.

I try to limit my McDonalds intake to once every 3 months if that. I usually try to avoid it, but sometimes I get that craving, and then I completely regret it after. <_< But back to the topic at hand... I hope Devo wins!

I'd love to know where I ever said this:

Fact of the matter is, I didn't. What I did say was this:

I still eat fast food on occasion but for the most part I try my best to avoid it. Due to recent health concerns I've had to drastically change my diet. Now, on that rare occasion when I do eat something fried (not necessarily fast food) it doesn't sit well with me because of altering my diet. I never said eating just one burger from McDonalds would cause someone to "put on tons of pounds".

It also seems some have completely misconstrued the purpose behind the movie Super-Size Me. For some accurate information regarding the movie I suggest reading this.

I love how you said "for some accurate information regarding the movie" and cited a wikipedia page...i'm sure its pretty right on key..but still hilarious.

I love how you said "for some accurate information regarding the movie" and cited a wikipedia page...i'm sure its pretty right on key..but still hilarious.

If it's "pretty right on key" how exactly is it "hilarious"? I know the nature of Wiki and that anyone can go in at any time and change the info but in this case the information is correct otherwise I wouldn't have cited it. My main point is that many seemed to entirely miss the intent of the film. It's not just McDonalds, the movie could have been made about virtually any fast food franchise. As mentioned, if you read the description I posted the link to, there's much more at work behind the movie than an indictment against the fast food industry in general.