1971 Thread

NickZepp

Since we have the 69 and 70 threads pretty much run through. Let's move on to 1971.

This could be the best Zeppelin year so there's a lot to choose from.

The best sounding boot is 4-1 which was mostly on the BBC. Although the BBC version cuts a lot out.

A few other favorites

3-6 Dublin

5-3 Copenhagen

LA Forum 8-21 and 22

8-31 Orlando

9-14 Berkley

and the Japan shows

I'm sure there's a lot of other gems.

By 1971 I feel they'd found their voice. The experimental playing of '69-'70 was over, this is what the band would pretty much sound like onstage from then on, give or take an octave or speedy 16 bar run.

7-19-1970 Berlin Good fucking show. even if its not 71 :huh:

This is probably my favorite live year for Zeppelin. They were really attacking setlists during these shows, such a great period for them.

Some other good 71 shows are 8/7 Montreux, 9/3 NYC, 9/4 Toronto, 9/9 Hampton and the first Berkeley show on 9-13 but just about every show is a great one especially the Japanese tour.

I've got to give 1971 credit... its the first time the setlist really grabs ahold of a large amout of material...

Shit, for 1969 and some of 1970, they only played stuff from their first album only... even though they almost had 3 albums out... all the touring really killed them getting new material ready for shows.

I like 1971 because they've caught up to themselves by this point, now featuring material from all 4 of their albums... needless to say the setlist really had alot more meat to it. (I wish some of the experimentation from 1969 and 1970 would have stuck around though!)

As far as shows, I've definitely got to put my vote in for these:

1971-08-31 Orlando

1971-09-29 Osaka

I haven't heard more than about 5 shows from 1971, BBC Sessions included. :(

My collection has just reached this point (I started by obtaining all the essentials of every year, then once I had those I went back and started in 1968 and worked chronologically year by year, and just arrived on 1971 not too long ago!)

Thus, any shows you guys could recommend would be appreciated!

2 more shows I haven't seen mentioned. 9-3 New York(even with the rude comments throughout the show this is a great gig) and 9-7 Boston.

3-5 Belfast is the first performance of the Led Zeppelin IV stuff so that's a historic show, but it's really not a good recording.

12-2 Bournemouth is pretty good too. It has encores of Weekend and It'll Be Me.

11-16 Ipswich is pretty cool with Gallows Pole as an encore

• 1 year later...

It's a shame there's no evidence of anything from the 8/29 show at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans.

I would kill to hear some of this gig, but as far as I know there's nothing out there.

Oddly enough (to those who live in this area) 8/29 is the day Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans (34 years later)

It's a shame there's no evidence of anything from the 8/29 show at the Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans.

I would kill to hear some of this gig, but as far as I know there's nothing out there.

Oddly enough (to those who live in this area) 8/29 is the day Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans (34 years later)

I'm with you on that ! Sadly, there are so many gig's from that tour that up to now at least, have not surfaced.

There is a tape, and held on to closely by the taper.

There is a tape, and held on to closely by the taper.

Lets hope it surfaces before this "taper" passes on.

After listening to the gigs just before and after this New Orleans show I can only guess that the gig was one for the books..Orlando was a total killer show from the first note as were a few others from this period of the tour.

This guy needs to come out of the closest (if that is a true statement...)

I've got a pistol ,a ski mask and a set of balls....now where's he live!!!!!!!!!!!!(ha,ha)

Lets hope it surfaces before this "taper" passes on.

After listening to the gigs just before and after this New Orleans show I can only guess that the gig was one for the books..Orlando was a total killer show from the first note as were a few others from this period of the tour.

This guy needs to come out of the closest (if that is a true statement...)

I've got a pistol ,a ski mask and a set of balls....now where's he live!!!!!!!!!!!!(ha,ha)

Two other shows this taper taped already circulate. Isn't that enough?

He'll be happy to trade you for it, if you can locate something he hasn't been able to get his hands on in his 30+ years of trading. :D

:mellow:

Two other shows this taper taped already circulate. Isn't that enough?

He'll be happy to trade you for it, if you can locate something he hasn't been able to get his hands on in his 30+ years of trading. :D

Sounds like you have ties with the taper, since your taking a humorous comment so serious...where do you live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Orleans is my home, so yeah naturally i would want to hear something that has more listening value to me personally then some other shows. If you can't relate to that-sorry

My quest to find a recording of the Vancouver show has been fruitless up to this point. I read in the Timeline that someone did record it and still has the tape. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated

Archived