Rainn Wilson calls Led Zeppelin 'girly'

Trashbag

Actor Rainn Wilson has blasted legendary rockers Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin for wearing make-up and women's clothes - branding them too girly.

The Office star portrays a washed-up drummer given a second chance at stardom in new movie The Rocker, and is a huge fan of the heavy rock genre.

However, Wilson dropped his loyalty to his beloved groups after the bandmembers adopted effeminate styles.

The actor says, "I grew up listening to a lot of classic rock. I loved AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but as soon as it started to get girly, as soon as they were wearing women's blouses, mascara and eyeliner - guy-liner I call it - as soon as it went there then it kind of lost me."

Ozzy wore eyeliner, but I don't think he wore it to look pretty! I'm less bothered by the girliness comment than by the way he lumps LZ in with AC/DC & Sabbath, but many people do that. I can appreciate AC/DC and Sabbath for what they are, but their sounds are not very complex, and I would liken LZ more to the Beatles because they experimented with so many genres, or to Cream because of their big sinister guitars.

Actor Rainn Wilson has blasted legendary rockers Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin for wearing make-up and women's clothes - branding them too girly.

The Office star portrays a washed-up drummer given a second chance at stardom in new movie The Rocker, and is a huge fan of the heavy rock genre.

However, Wilson dropped his loyalty to his beloved groups after the bandmembers adopted effeminate styles.

The actor says, "I grew up listening to a lot of classic rock. I loved AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but as soon as it started to get girly, as soon as they were wearing women's blouses, mascara and eyeliner - guy-liner I call it - as soon as it went there then it kind of lost me."

mm I think I know who is the girl here and who are the mans...

Now my question is: who cares about his opinion?

Rainn who??? So I'm guessing this Rainn whatshisface doesn't listen to Kiss either, because they have certainly got the make up thing goin on. Hmmmmm....sounds like some one has some issues. :huh:

When did AC/DC,Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin start wearing makeup? Did I miss something in the last 30 years or so? Who is this guy I never heard of him?

I don't know about BS or AC/DC but I don't ever recall any of the guys from Zep wearing make-up except for the cross dressing pics (which was as a joke). Most of the rock bands wore "girly clothes" that was very much the style at that time. Velvet pants, scarves, ruffles on shirts, etc.

I don't know about BS or AC/DC but I don't ever recall any of the guys from Zep wearing make-up except for the cross dressing pics (which was as a joke). Most of the rock bands wore "girly clothes" that was very much the style at that time. Velvet pants, scarves, ruffles on shirts, etc.

Were the cross dressing pics taken when Stevie Wonder was around? I remember reading a story about the entourage laughing at seeing them dressed up like that, and Stevie (obviously not aware of the joke) misunderstood it as people laughing at him.

So according to this guy, he was all grown up by the time he was seven. At the age of eight, which happened to be in 1974, he was past rock n roll and eyeliner and very anxiously awaiting Kurt Cobain and grunge.

Were the cross dressing pics taken when Stevie Wonder was around? I remember reading a story about the entourage laughing at seeing them dressed up like that, and Stevie (obviously not aware of the joke) misunderstood it as people laughing at him.

I think that was the story. I think some of the pics taken that night ended up on the PG LP. I remember one of JPJ with full make-up. Now that I think about it, he looked like he had on a kimono, so that pic may be from their tour in Japan. There have been several pics floating around of them having "tea" with geishas. But, the pic of JPJ could have been retouched to make it appear he was wearing make-up.

1) Never heard of him

2) Bon Scott in a woman's blouse and eyeliner?? Nope, don't think so.

3) I think he's getting mixed up with The Sweet!!... :rolleyes: douchebag...

Before you all get your knickers in a twist and start bashing Rainn Wilson, maybe

it would have helped if Trashbag didn't totally screw up the context of the quote

and make unsound assumptions from the interview in question.

Rainn wasn't bashing Zep and AC/DC...if you read the quote carefully,

and even better, if you read the actual interview, you see that he is

talking about the hair-metal bands that followed in Zeppelin and AC/DC's

wake.

In fact, there are several interviews around the web with Rainn regarding

"The Rocker" movie, where he reiterates the same theme; he grew up

loving Zep, Sabbath, AC/DC, but felt metal lost the plot when it turned

into the hair-metal bands.

Oh, and if you don't know who Rainn Wilson is, he is only one of the funniest

things about the US version of "The Office".

Don't mess with Dwight Schrute, you peons! :D

Here is part of the interview Trashbag mangled, so you can see for yourself that Rainn

is not knocking our precious Zeppelin:

Interview with The Rocker Star Rainn Wilsonby Rebecca Murray, About.com

What was your rock star fantasy?

“One thing I love about metal is like it’s just the sheer showmanship. I grew up, when I was a kid, I discovered Queen when I was like 12 years old and I just loved Freddie Mercury, just that kind of balls-out kind of like show, performance of rock and roll. Every decade rock and roll starts to get very serious and naval-gazing and kind of self-serious, and every once in a while it kind of needs a kick in the pants. Then it goes too far and it needs to kind of get serious again. Like, seriously, the hair metal thing is a little bit much.”

Were you into any of those bands at all?

“I wasn’t. You know, I skipped that. I love classic metal and I grew up listening to a lot of classic rock and I loved AC/DC and Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. But as soon as it started to get girly, as soon as they were wearing women’s blouses and eyeliner and mascara – ‘guy liner’ I call it - as soon as it went there, it kind of lost me. And I was kind of more going for like The Clash and Elvis Costello and you know some other more punk stuff.”

Sorry. I got this from IMDb, which gets their news from WENN. If you see the title they gave their article, you can see I was being generous with my thread title: "Actor Wilson slams 'girly' rockers." I didn't mangle anything; I was just posting from another website.

If Wilson did mean the hair metal bands, I would have to agree. The business became more about makeup and big hair with too much hairspray. Sure some of those hairbands had an occasional hit, but look at what their "girliness" led to. The new so-called "rock" bands that are becoming famous are bands like: Boys like Girls, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and My Chemical Romance. What's even worse is my generation (i'm 20) are growing up thinking this is rock music. I mean these guys are wearing girls jeans, eyeliner, and whining about their shitty lives and screaming into the mic about it (and no this is not like Plant's unforgettable wail...this is actually bloodcurdling screaming).

If that is what Mr. Shrute meant, I agree. If he did mean it as an insult to Zep, oh well, I think the members of Zep and fellow Zepheads like me can shrug it off. It's only one dude's opinion.

That's my 2 cents

Okay, Trashbag...it wasn't your fault, I apologize. Just to help clear up any

misconceptions that Rainn is dissing Zeppelin, here is an excerpt from another

interview; this one by Paul Fischer from femail.com.au:

Paul Fischer: Are you a heavy metal fan? Were you a heavy metal fan before doing this?

Rainn Wilson: You know, I'm a classic metal fan. You know, I like Ozzie and Led Zeppelin, and ACDC. But it kind of lost me when it got to the spandex and the make-up. When the men started wearing girl's makeup, that's when I didn't quite understand it any more. I didn't understand what it had become. I mean, I got it when David Bowie did it. But when Bret Michaels did it, it didn't really make sense to me.

lolol, I'm sure Dwight was a huge Zep fan.

Every time I mention Zep in the presence of a woman who truly knows them, her eyes sparkle. Her face lights up, if only temporarily. The music is definately of a sexual nature, and the impression that the band appeals to the sexual side of women without relinquishing the desires of men is the catalyst for much of their broad appeal. Aside from Prince or The Beatles, I wouldn't bet that there are artists that have sold more records and concert tickets to women than Led Zeppelin. Anyone who decries Zeppelin for their method to acheive this sembiance has shortcomings, so to speak. To interpret the music as anything other than ultimately masculine and femanine in it's presentation is to miss the meaning. The hair bands of the 80's sold out to the baseline that Zeppelin established and presented it in a superficial, grotesque manner. People reconized that, and cast it aside.

And yet, Led Zepplin forges on.

Rainn Wilson was wrong. Led Zeppelin does not belong on his list.

I'm less bothered by the girliness comment than by the way he lumps LZ in with AC/DC & Sabbath, but many people do that. I can appreciate AC/DC and Sabbath for what they are, but their sounds are not very complex

That's true of AC/DC, but certainly not Sabbath.

For chrissakes people, let it go...for the last time, Rainn

is NOT dissing Zeppelin, so get off his case already.

Is the reading comprehension level among you that poor?

Maybe it would help if Trashbag changed the title of this thread, since

Rainn never called Zeppelin "girly".

For chrissakes people, let it go...for the last time, Rainn

is NOT dissing Zeppelin, so get off his case already.

Is the reading comprehension level among you that poor?

Maybe it would help if Trashbag changed the title of this thread, since

Rainn never called Zeppelin "girly".

Probably not, look at the abuse Dave Grohl gets and he's a major fan.

i can't find any of those cross dressing pics...can u post them pls?

Archived