Tori Amos

She's lovely! She is among one of my favourites. She is an incredible performer, not to mention a powerful songwriter. I love all her work but I'm especially fond of:

-Little Earthquakes

-From The Choirgirl Hotel

-Scarlet's Walk

I liked the last album "American Doll Posse" but I didn't care too much for the different characters/costumes/wigs. I prefer it when it's just Tori and her pianos.

There were rumours about Tori and Robert years ago. I love Tori Amos, consider her one of my two favorite female singers (shares the honor with Liz Fraser of the Cocteau Twins). I have seen Tori in concert and she is wonderful.

Favorite albums: Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, Boys for Pele. Favorite song: Tear In Your Hand, other favs: Silent All These Years, Past the Mission (Trent Reznor sings background vocals on this song), Cornflake Girl, Hey Jupiter, Caught a Lite Sneeze, Spark, Jackie's Strenght. I also think she has an original beauty...

amos-1.jpg

she's fucking amazing and I bloody adore her (so much

I can't stop babling with this potty mouth of mine lol).

my heart skipped a beat when she finally ventured to come and play in Israel in 2007, I was there freakin' out as if I was watching the second comin' or something.

she's just amazing, how much emotion she expresses whilest just singing, looking at her face is the whole show (that and the fact that the woman can play 2 pianos at once...when some can barely play one).

she's just amazing, how much emotion she expresses whilest just singing, looking at her face is the whole show (that and the fact that the woman can play 2 pianos at once...when some can barely play one).

it's because of the chair hahah

[Does anybody know that arguement with PJ Harvey?]

I Like her too, btw. She's taLented, cooL and..weLL.. she Loves ZeppeLin.

I saw her in concert a few years ago. Beautiful voice but her material was too downbeat. It was one ballad after the other about depressing things. I like to enjoy myself at shows. And i think it's music that women will enjoy way more than men because of the topics of the songs,etc.

I saw her in concert a few years ago. Beautiful voice but her material was too downbeat. It was one ballad after the other about depressing things. I like to enjoy myself at shows. And i think it's music that women will enjoy way more than men because of the topics of the songs,etc.

I wouldn't exactly call her songs 'ballads.' That implies sweet, sentimental, soaring choruses...you know, stuff Celine Dion would sing. Tori is harder to classify because of her unique style and unconventinal lyrics.

The reason her devoted fanbase (Toriphiles) are so devoted is because she gets inside your most inner thoughts and writes it in a way no one else can. With honesty, and in some cases, without mincing words.

As far as women enjoying her music way more than men...that

depends on the man. Usually I find the men who misunderstand Tori and her songs are exactly the type of men she references in her songs.

Example that pretty sums up Tori Amos: (NOT a ballad :rolleyes: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB9Ll8LgPmw

• 2 months later...

Simply the best female solo artist of all time. Little Earthquakes was one of the best albums of the 90's. She would have had some more classics to go along with it had she cut some of the weaker tracks off her records (as they are overlong!) I'm namely talking about Boys For Pele, Scarlet's Walk, and The Beekeeper

As for her just doing ballad's that isn't true! Yes she has done alot of ballads but they're almost all great and show off her amazing vocal talent (one of the few singer's who really use their voice as an instrument) but there's much more to her than that, try the links below:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss5xj58nMRU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmFPJKuTHM

So many favourite songs to choose but try these:

1. Precious Things

2. Mother

3. Beauty Queen/Horses

4. Hey Jupiter

5. Caught A Lite Sneeze

6. Northern Lad

7. Liquid Diamonds

8. 1000 Oceans

9. Carbon

10. Virginia

11. Gold Dust

12. Original Sin

13. Mary's Of The Sea

I used to like some of her earlier albums - Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink but it's been years since I've picked one up to play. She's got an interesting sound but I find it a bit monotonous after a time. I haven't heard anything recent to know what she's like now.

• 8 months later...

Her new album has a song called "strong black vine" that sounds like it's trying to be Kashmir. It's not quite succeeding, but I like it.

I love Tori but I wish she wouldn't release so many double albums, it's like every time she needs to create "the ultimate Tori Amos album" instead of trying to make a cohesive statement. All her albums have upwards of 19, 20 tracks and it's a little tiresome.

She is excellent live with a band. Whenever she tours solo, her shows are insufferably long and boring, in my experience.

Her new album has a song called "strong black vine" that sounds like it's trying to be Kashmir. It's not quite succeeding, but I like it.

I love Tori but I wish she wouldn't release so many double albums, it's like every time she needs to create "the ultimate Tori Amos album" instead of trying to make a cohesive statement. All her albums have upwards of 19, 20 tracks and it's a little tiresome.

She is excellent live with a band. Whenever she tours solo, her shows are insufferably long and boring, in my experience.

The first 10 seconds of "Strong Black Vine" I thought the exact same thing!! Her new album "Abnormally Attracted To Sin" is pretty good. Took a couple of listens though. I'm finding that it takes me longer to get into her newer stuff. I agree with her touring with a band cause the setlist is always better but I've seen her tour where it's just her and her Bosendorfer and I love the simplicity of those shows too.

Hi All,

Me thinks this is why she got Roberts attention, she is the "Lemon Squeezer".

"In the Springtime of His Voodoo"

Got an angry snatch

Girls you konw what I mean

When swivelin that hip doesn't do the trick

Me pureed sanitarily Mr. Sulu

Warp speed

Warp speed

Warp speed

In the Springtime of his voodoo

And I know she's not that

Foxy

Boys

I said I know she's not that

Foxy but

You gotta owe something sometimes

You gotta owe

When you're your momma's sunshine

You've got to give something sometimes

When you're the sweetest cherry

In an apple pie

I need some voodoo on these prunes

In the springtime of his voodoo

He was going to show me spring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vRXhMmswOM

"Professional Widow"

Slag pit

Stag shit

Honey bring it close to my lips

Yes

Don't blow those brains yet

We gotta be big boy

We gotta be big

Starfucker just like my Daddy

Just like my Daddy selling his baby

Just like my Daddy

Gonna strike a deal made him feel

Like a congressman

It runs in the family

http://www.elyrics.net/song/t/tori-amos-lyrics.html

http://www.amiright.com/real/dirtyartist/

Regards, Danny

• 5 years later...

This thread needs more love :)

First, if you haven't already, do yourself a favour and go buy Tori's latest album "Unrepentant Geraldines." Such a fine mature and wild creation.

Next, there's a broadway tribute to Tori, with various acts performing her songs in support of RAINN (TA was the organization's first spokesperson).

Laura Benanti, Lena Hall and More Set for BROADWAY SINGS TORI Concert to Support RAINN, 4/20

March 18 8:53 PM 2015 by BWW News Desk

Tickets are now on sale for Broadway Sings Tori, a one-night concert benefitting RAINN. Featuring the music of legendary singer-songwriter Tori Amos performed by Broadway talent, the concert will take place on Monday April 20th at 7pm.

Scheduled to appear are Tony winners Laura Benanti (Gypsy, ABC's Nashville) and Lena Hall (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Kinky Boots), Tony nominee Alison Fraser, and Broadway and cabaret performers Rachel Bay Jones (Pippin), Mandy Gonzales (In the Heights, Wicked), Lauren Molina (Sweeney Todd, Rock of Ages), Rob Morrison (Nevermore, Avenue Q), Erin Davie (Side Show, Grey Gardens), Zak Resnick (Mamma Mia), Erik Altemus (Pippin), Michael Buchanan (The Book of Mormon), Molly Pope(Found: A New Musical), Natalie Joy Johnson (Kinky Boots, Legally Blonde), and Colleen Harris (Songs at the New World).

The evening will be emceed by SiriusXM host Julie James. Musical Direction by Brian Nash (Silence! The Musical).

Proceeds from the evening will benefit the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN.org), the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization.

(le) poisson rouge is located at 158 Bleecker Street. Tickets start at $50 and are available by visiting broadwaysingstori.com.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/cabaret/article/Laura-Benanti-Lena-Hall-and-More-Set-for-BROADWAY-SINGS-TORI-Concert-to-Support-RAINN-420-20150318

Some more info about the benefit concert:

Broadway Sings Tori: A Benefit for RAINN

sm_14523-1424455436.jpegHosted by:Rape, Abuse and Incest Na...

When: April 20, 2015 at 7:00pm to April 21, 2015 at 12:00am

Where: le poisson rouge map158 Bleecker StreetNew York, NY 10012

Event Details

On Monday, April 20th, a star-studded Broadway cast will be performing the music of Tori Amos in Broadway Sings Tori: A Benefit for RAINN at (le) poisson rouge. All proceeds from this uplifting benefit will go to RAINN — the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. With host Julie James (Broadway Names with Julie James) and musical direction by Brian Nash (producer of the award-winning Silence! The Musical and But I'm a Cheerleader), Broadway Sings Tori will feature the following performers, and more:

• Tony Award-winning Laura Benanti (Gypsy, The Sound of Music Live!)
  • Tony Award-winning Lena Hall (Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Kinky Boots)
  • Kyle Dean Massey (Pippin, Next to Normal, Wicked)
  • Lauren Molina (Sweeney Todd, Rock of Ages) and Rob Morrison (Nevermore, Avenue Q)
  • Rachel Bay Jones (Pippin, Hair)
  • Erin Davie (Sideshow, Grey Gardens)
  • Zak Resnick (Mamma Mia)
  • Erik Altemus (Pippin)
  • Michael Buchanan (The Book Of Mormon, The Addams Family)
  • Colleen Harris (Alternatives)
  • Julie James (Broadway Names with Julie James)
  • Mandy Gonzales (In the Heights, Wicked)
  • Molly Pope (Found: A New Musical)
  • Natalie Joy Johnson (Kinky Boots, Legally Blonde, But I'm A Cheerleader) and Stephen Bienskie (Submissions Only)
  • Scott Alan (Dreaming Wide Awake)
  • Garth Kravits (The Drowsy Chaperone, Toxic Audio)
  • Leslie Kritzer (Hairspray, Legally Blonde the Musical)

Please click here for details about sponsorship packages. Tickets start at $50.

Thank you so much for your support. We look forward to seeing you in April!

*Performers are subject to change without notice.

https://fundraise.rainn.org/new-york/events/broadway-sings-tori-benefit-for-rainn/e44235

If you can't make it to the show, please consider making a donation :) Thanks a lot.

See lives near us here in Cornwall, has a studio there too - would love to meet her ...love my band Littermouth to be invited to record there, wow! I've seen her in concert a few times; truly hypnotic, musically and visually, although I'd have to say not the sort of music I'd normally immediately go for.

Archived