Car, Truck, or SUV

Dancin'Days

I drive an Explorer. If I could get rid of it I would, unfortunately we still are paying on it and you can't give them away these days :( As soon as it's paid off it's outta here. Although if gas gets super ridiculous before then I may just have to take a loss.

But I've most definitely changed my driving habits. I drive as "logically" as possible (no backtracking, no unnecessary trips), ride share if at all possible, and look online for the cheapest gas in the area before filling up.

I have a Honda Accord. It gets 35mpg. I have not really changed my driving habits too much becuase I really don't drive a whole lot to begin with. I do really search out best gas prices--in our area all of our gas comes from the same place, so it doesn't make NY sense whatsoever to pay $0.10 more a gallon at one place.

My boyfriend did buy a Ford Festiva to offset our household fuel costs--it gets like 40-some miles per gallon. He drives it the 20+miles to and from work. The Thunderbird kind of sits in the garage more often than not now-a-days anyway.

With the price of gas nowadays, is it going to change what you drive and your driving habbits?

I own a Toyota 4 wheel drive Hilux pick up. That is a German model. The gas prices here are a lot higher than in the States and getting higher. I am going to downsize pretty soon but keep my pick up because, I lOVE IT!

^I know how you feel.

I am not going to downsize anytime soon because I DO love my car. If/when I'm in the market to buy a new car, I'll think about downsizing. But until then, I'm not going to.

Especially since I just cringe at the idea of having a car payment right now. My car's been paid off for two years now. :D

I have owned SUV's for over 10 years now. When i first purchased one, a Nissan Pathfinder, i was afraid to drive it the first few days. I initially told my husband he could have it and i would keep my car. But once i got used to being up high and the bigger vehicle i loved it. I feel like i can see so much more, especially on the highway, and i feel safer because of that (especially with so many big vehicles on the road). My present SUV is paid off and since i can't logically afford a car payment right now, i have no plans of selling it. Gas prices suck, and so unfortunately, something else may have to go to make up for the difference. So far i'm managing, but then i only work three days a week and don't drive far distances too often.

With the price of gas nowadays, is it going to change what you drive and your driving habbits?

Because we live on a ranch and we need them for the work we do around here (and for driving on steep unpaved ranch roads), we drive pickup trucks. Our trucks are 5 and 7 years old, we paid cash for each one, and my husband plans to keep them running for at least 10 years. We have consciously cut back on the amount of driving that we do but the biggest change we made was to cut back on flying: around here, jet fuel was relatively inexpensive and it was often less expensive for us to fly somewhere for a long weekend rather than driving. For now, we've eliminated all but flights necessitated by "emergencies".

Because we live on a ranch and we need them for the work we do around here (and for driving on steep unpaved ranch roads), we drive pickup trucks. Our trucks are 5 and 7 years old, we paid cash for each one, and my husband plans to keep them running for at least 10 years. We have consciously cut back on the amount of driving that we do but the biggest change we made was to cut back on flying: around here, jet fuel was relatively inexpensive and it was often less expensive for us to fly somewhere for a long weekend rather than driving. For now, we've eliminated all but flights necessitated by "emergencies".

what kind of jet do you have??? :blink:

I drive a 92 Buick Riviera in showroom condition, it's my baby. I only have 60,000 miles on it too since I only drive a few miles to work each day. I'm not trading my baby in for anything besides a Jag B) and not the low end models either :lol:

I drie an 07 Pontiac G6.... I used to drive an 04 Land Rover Discoery SE7 for a few years... it was my first car and I didn't bitch about the gas prices then.. but, Lord, would I bitch now.. My car is sedan... not a super tiny car, but a car nonetheless... and it's still $60 to fill it.. I shudder to think what a Land Rover would cost nowadays.

2002 Chev Impala 3.4 L. Pretty good on gas actually. Too many mechanical problems though. I'll be looking for something else but haven't decided on what yet.

I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup Full size.I dont plan to downsize its paid for but if they get a tried and true Hybrid that has power and a decent driving range when this truck quits I might buy a hybrid but it has to sit up high .I dont like riding in small cars.Cost about $100 per tank of gas.

what kind of jet do you have??? :blink:

We don't have a jet!!! I was referring to commercial flights where we used either Frequent Flier miles, vouchers, last minute sale prices or a combination of all three. Private planes (primarily non-jet) are fairly popular around here (some people have their own landing strip) but lately we've noticed that the skies are much quieter. Your posts reminds me that, about 3 years ago, an acquaintance approached us and tried to convince us to invest in a company that would purchase a fleet of Gulfstreams and then sell time on the jets (something like a time share). There were too many unanswered questions and the start up costs were too high so we declined. My husband checked the site for the company last week and it is now out of business.

We don't have a jet!!! I was referring to commercial flights where we used either Frequent Flier miles, vouchers, last minute sale prices or a combination of all three. Private planes (primarily non-jet) are fairly popular around here (some people have their own landing strip) but lately we've noticed that the skies are much quieter. Your posts reminds me that, about 3 years ago, an acquaintance approached us and tried to convince us to invest in a company that would purchase a fleet of Gulfstreams and then sell time on the jets (something like a time share). There were too many unanswered questions and the start up costs were too high so we declined. My husband checked the site for the company last week and it is now out of business.

dang it...you got my hopes up...always good to have friends with jets...smart move passing on the investment though...tough business.

I am fortunate enough to live in a 'place' where I don't need to rely on a motor car. I gave up owning motor transport ages ago. I simply don't need it and I refuse pay the taxes, insurance and petrol charges. Fuck it. Walking, cycling, public transport does my needs as and when.

Happy bunny here. Don't live in a place where a car is a necessity:D

Good thing I was just about to call You for a flight to St Louis but I guess I will just drive then. :D

dang it...you got my hopes up...always good to have friends with jets...smart move passing on the investment though...tough business.

It sure is good to have friends or acquaintances with jets. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be me. :)

Good thing I was just about to call You for a flight to St Louis but I guess I will just drive then. :D

Believe me Al, if I had a jet, there would be room for you on it. :)

Archived