Backmasking by LZ

Cyrusofsussex

I was informed of some links to Youtube recently. You can listen to backmasking of Strairway to Heaven and a few others. Does anyone know if this stuff is for real? I thought I knew most stuff about the band and songs, but this is new to me. How many songs have alternate lyrics when played backwards?

Depends on who you talk to. There's the believers, and there's the "You hear what you're expecting to hear" crowd. I belong to the latter. This has been thouroughly discussed in other threads here. I'll try and find the link so you can draw your own conclusion. ;)

Or you've got waaaaaaay too much time on your hands. ;)

Can you believe there is some bloke who can make out the tune just by examining the grove a an LP. It's a fact. Don't know his name. Google it. Heard it on Spicks and Specks. (aussie music trivia show)

Thanks for the back info link. That is what I hoped for. I am wiser and stronger.

You're welcome! Unfortunately that thread isn't as vast as the big one we had on the old Electric Magick forum. That one went on for dozens of pages! :lol:

I was reading this book today (Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code... by Dan Burstein). In Section III, Chapter 7 (page 205), they talked about the backmasking in Stairway and how people are more inclined to hear references to Satan when told there is something there, sort of a predisposition to the words. It was an interesting chapter on how people try to find something that just isn't there.

Huge Dan Brown fan here! Is the one seated beside Jesus in Da Vinci's The Last Supper John or Mary Magdalene?

The bigger question is whether it matters at all. "My sweet Satan". :rolleyes:

Have any of us become worshippers of the "dark one' based on a supposed trick of audio?

I haven't

Intent?

Who cares if it doesn't work?

Does it really matter at all?

"Jimmy bought a house once owned by...".

So?

Please, all converted desciples of the Devil speak up. Validate this nonsense! Tell us how you were turned!

I was disappointed it wasn't on The Exorcist soundtrack! :blink:

We had to settle with Tubular Bells. :o

I'm sure Mike Oldfield backmasked that album, it's difficult to tell with it being an instrumental and all, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere!

It would take a lot more than hearing something played backwards (allegedly),to lure me over to the dark side!

Hey Ev,

Good to see you back.

The road we choose is always right, so fine.......

Careful Reg old friend, coddle up to me and you may get blacklisted by the Illuminati!

Remember when we could just post? I guess I'm a pariah here now. I'm one of THEM! Whatever that means. Yawn. :coffee:

Sorry mate, but it seems like whenever I post on this forum, I get a bunch of shit. Petty infighting.

Love you man!

Rock the Zep!! :beer:

I take those bereft of rational thought, with a grain of salt.

The easiest thing to do is to criticise, say no and do nothing.

Those you refer to, do all this in spades.

Ignorance is bliss.

Pay no mind to the lot of them, it works for me!

To them I say, "I hope your chickens turn into emus and they kick your dunny down!"

llluminati, eh?

Sounds like a conspiracy to me!

'Let them say what they will, tongues wag so much when I send them to......"

Hi Kat! Long time no see! Hope I find you doing well! :wave:

And yeah. At least it's in the Newbies forum THIS time. :lol:

Hi Ev :D! Awesome to see you! I'm around here all sneaky like. Usually late at night though. I hope you're doing well! And ahh this rumor :lol:. I cringe at the thought of all the vinyl that got ruined over the years :rolleyes:.

Hi Ev :D! Awesome to see you! I'm around here all sneaky like. Usually late at night though. I hope you're doing well! And ahh this rumor :lol:. I cringe at the thought of all the vinyl that got ruined over the years :rolleyes:.

Still friended on my MySpace you are! Drop me a hello sometime! Nevermind, me first! Haha! ;)

I was reading this book today (Secrets of the Code: The Unauthorized Guide to the Mysteries Behind The Da Vinci Code... by Dan Burstein). In Section III, Chapter 7 (page 205), they talked about the backmasking in Stairway and how people are more inclined to hear references to Satan when told there is something there, sort of a predisposition to the words. It was an interesting chapter on how people try to find something that just isn't there.

Correct - it's quite a basic psychological phenomenon. Humans are bombarded with so much sensory information, we find it hard to decypher it. We look for patterns and we infer things from out knowledge of the past.

If you get someone who has never heard of the 'backmasking' phenomenon and play them Stairway backwards, I bet 9/10 will say they don't hear anything unusual, other than a song being played backwards. However, if you tell them what to listen for ("here's to my sweet satan," etc) they will hear it. It's because the brain selects which information to pass on and which to discard.

So the simple answer is - there are no messages in Stairway played backwards. What there is is a whole bunch of people who are listening to hear something which is not there.

If you get someone who has never heard of the 'backmasking' phenomenon and play them Stairway backwards, I bet 9/10 will say they don't hear anything unusual, other than a song being played backwards. However, if you tell them what to listen for ("here's to my sweet satan," etc) they will hear it. It's because the brain selects which information to pass on and which to discard.

Exactly. In the 80s when this was first said, I listened to the whole song & did not hear anything. After I found out that the line was supposedly "here's to my sweet Satan", I listened again & thought I might have heard something like that, so I listened to that section several times more- and with each time it seemed to get clearer & clearer! The mind is truly an amazing thing...

If you play any songs that has nothing to do with satan backwards, you will hear satanic messages and what not. But if you play black metal backwards, all you hear is "Jesus lives, Jesus lives!"

;)

I thought I noticed that, in "Sweet Leaf"!?!?!?

Archived