April Wine

AMAZONIC

I saw this concert played on an European TV channel when I was a teenager and loved their music instantly. Unfortunately for a reason or another time got by and I have never had the chance to get to know the story of this Canadian band and their musical career. :(

It seems that they were pretty good, but a very much underrated band.

Is there any fan around here?

Love this song...

They are a great band, still kicking around and sounding great. A friend of mine Carl Dixon was with them for a bit, "filling out their sound" with backup vocals, guitar and keys. Carl is actually on the mend in your home country (Australia), since he was involved in a serious car accident. His oldest daughter is currently filming episodes for a popular television show.

April Wine Rocks!

I saw this concert played on an European TV channel when I was a teenager and loved their music instantly. Unfortunately for a reason or another time got by and I have never had the chance to get to know the story of this Canadian band and their musical career. :(

Love this song...

Ahhhh, Amazonic! That brought back some great memories! Yes, I used to love April Wine but have lost track of them, thanks for the update Ronniedawg!

Love this song...

Here is one of their best songs:

Wow, those clips bring back memories! I was a fan of the band in the 70's and I love those songs you posted too. I also agree, AMAZONIC; April Wine were an underrated band.

Crash and Burn

:D

April Wine headlined the first concert I ever went to. 1972 (holy crap), it was Walter Zwol, Fludd and April Wine at the local arena. Stand Back tour I think cause they had the canon onstage.

Somewhere around 1979 the band I was in was booked to play 1 night at a bar near Montreal called The Maples but for reasons I won't go into, we were unable to make it. Our truck did make it however, and since the stage was already set up a few of the audience got up to jam on our gear in our absence. Our sound man told us that the guys from April Wine sounded way better on our gear than we ever did. :blush:

That riff from the ending, it's Day Tripper by Beatles isn't it? At least it sounds like it. A lot!

day tripper crossed with satisfaction.....excellent song. i also love 'coulda been a lady' and the elton john cover 'bad side of the moon'. look for those songs. one of my faves in my teens!

They are a great band, still kicking around and sounding great. A friend of mine Carl Dixon was with them for a bit, "filling out their sound" with backup vocals, guitar and keys. Carl is actually on the mend in your home country (Australia), since he was involved in a serious car accident. His oldest daughter is currently filming episodes for a popular television show.

April Wine Rocks!

Oh good to know, Ronniedawg. Thank you so much for your comments. :)

Wow, those clips bring back memories! I was a fan of the band in the 70's and I love those songs you posted too. I also agree, AMAZONIC; April Wine were an underrated band.

Crash and Burn

:D

...so much like the Styx, Triumph and other rock bands of that era, MSG. Isn't it? :(

I loved the three guitars army on the April Wine line up: it created such a rich and powerful sound to their music.

Thank you all for sharing your memories and comments. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjNocj3xDk...feature=related

OOwatanite

I had a desk lamp that had the same tone as the bell - banged it with a pen. Used to drive my boss crazy when I'd sing this song real loud and half the office would join in....our sign that we thought he was being an ass. The other half would flick their lighters :)

Yeah!

Awesome group and so very good live in concert. Myles Goodwin has an excellent voice for rock and the three guitars play some pretty amazing harmonies. The drummer was a hulking bald guy, which was rare in those days, and he beat the crap out of his kit. I saw them a couple of times in the late 70's, early 80's and was impressed everytime. In fact the town I was living in at the time, Flint, MI, actually broke April Wine in the US market by putting their song "Roller" in it's regular rotation. They got so many requests for it, and it just snowballed from there. Good to see they're still around too.

• 5 years later...

This is a fav of mine, very catchy tune. Seen so many of the bands gigs over the years. co-founding member Jim Henman grew up not far from here, and I actually had a chance to get know his mom and dad quite well in the late 90's by accident as I was involved in a project with them not knowing who they were. When I walked in there house for this project, they had one of their son's gold records up on the wall and that is when I made the connection - it was very funny listening to his dad because he didn't strike me as the musical sort at all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3xWJiVp0to

This was a sad moment in Canadian rock, Myles was a journeymen with a unique voice. My fav gig was seeing them open for Def Leppard on Aug 22 1993 in front of 35,000 people because Myles had a big grin on his face and it was cool seeing the crowd react in a very positive manner. I have a VHS copy of the entire gig somewhere in the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb0x93oYjG0

Archived