BARACK OBAMA MAKES A STUPID COMMENT AGAINST PALIN

Del Zeppnile

I can't understand why so many Republican's are taking the comment out of context. Obama is talking about change. You vote Republican and you'll have another 8 years of the same shit. Dress it up all you like, it's still what it is.

He could've used the old chestnut, 'You can't polish a turd', but then the shit would've really hit the fan.

I think it would be a real travisty if McCain gets in. Even Gordon Brown has expressed his support for Obama. And no UK Prime Minister has ever done that pre-election before.

And to call your wife a c--t? Classy. Is that how he wooed her?

I have seen many Americans (Repubs that is) say they don't care what other country's leaders or citizens think. That is the same mentality the "real Americans" have been oppressed by under the rule of the last eight years. I for one, enjoy and welcome hearing what others think. So far, i haven't heard anyone outside the U.S. express anything good about another 4 years of the same.

The focus has been primarily on Palin, and that's the way McBore probably wants it. He has no new plans and he is not a "classy" guy, lol.

Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to know people outside America care and want us to get over our illness. Pray for us, we need it!

Candy Crowley on CNN said that Sarah Palin not being able to really articulate her answers about NATO and the Bush Doctrine is alright, because people in Missouri don't know what those things are either.

Really? People don't know what NATO is? I can see maybe not knowing about the Bush Doctrine (but I damn well expect HER to know, she's running for office), but not knowing about NATO? All that's telling me is that the MSM thinks Americans are at their base, complete fucking idiots and anyone who presents themselves to have even a minute amount of education about a subject, isn't the candidate for them.

Am I the only person scared by that concept?

Really? People don't know what NATO is? I can see maybe not knowing about the Bush Doctrine (but I damn well expect HER to know, she's running for office), but not knowing about NATO? All that's telling me is that the MSM thinks Americans are at their base, complete fucking idiots and anyone who presents themselves to have even a minute amount of education about a subject, isn't the candidate for them.

Am I the only person scared by that concept?

No, it worries me too.

Remember, voters will vote for the candidate who they feel most likely they could have a 'beer' with... And you you don't have a beer with someone who "talks all funny and stuff" and uses those "darn big words"

Hey Del..

Like Obama said:

"You can wrap an old fish in paper, but it's still

gonna be an old fish.. and it's still gonna stink".

As far as your 'lipstick on a pig' Del-o-drama goes..

*sniff, sniff*

Yup. I smell..

red_herring.jpg

:rolleyes:

:P

How's McPalin gonna be different from (ie, gonna represent "Change" from) GWB on..

..the economy?

..foreign affairs?

..health care?

..social security?

..lobbyists?

..education?

..energy?

..the environment?

:whistling:

Hey, it doesn't really matter. McCain is really the one running for office... Whats the worst that could happen?

Yeah. Like I said.. it's a "red herring". ;)

As if four more years of the same failed Bush policies

of the last eight years wouldn't be quite bad enough? :unsure:

How about you throw in another "conservative" Supreme Court justice.. or two?

..and another war.. or two?

..and conscription too.. you know, 'a draft'?

..and more lack of leadership on Climate Change?

..and more lack of leadership in getting health care coverage to the

40 MILLION Americans who currently have no health care coverage?

And if none of that sounds quite bad enough to

make you concerned, how about the prospect of..

Sarah Palin as POTUS should McOldGuy become incapacitated???

:blink:

:o

[nice dad-pan set up, electricmage. ;) ]

Hey, c'mon now, aren't those "failed Bush policies" just the failed policies of G.W. Bush, and not Republicans is general?

McCain is for Change!

I have seen many Americans (Repubs that is) say they don't care what other country's leaders or citizens think. That is the same mentality the "real Americans" have been oppressed by under the rule of the last eight years. I for one, enjoy and welcome hearing what others think. So far, i haven't heard anyone outside the U.S. express anything good about another 4 years of the same.

The focus has been primarily on Palin, and that's the way McBore probably wants it. He has no new plans and he is not a "classy" guy, lol.

Thanks for your opinion, it's nice to know people outside America care and want us to get over our illness. Pray for us, we need it!

Well, I don't particularly care for the Bush administration, but I do care a great deal for your countrymen - two of my best friends were/are from Ohio and Minnesota, I had a friend who moved to New York, family in Texas and California and I've been going to Florida every year since I was 7 - and I'm now 22.

Your country is argubly the most powerful in the world, and I believe that what happens in America does influence the rest of the world. And if you have a president that can turn your country around, then maybe he'll have a positive global impact as well.

If that's what you think, then why do/did you not respond to the question

posed in the red herring post you quoted? You know,.. this question: -->

Have at it, bro.

Tell us how Mac-Palin would represent "Change" from Bush-Cheney failed policies.

I can't wait to hear it! :)

munchies.gif

T'was more sarcasm. McCain is for change, like I'm for dudes.

Del uses insulting names and adjectives to describe people all the time, but oh shock horror...mention the word lipstick and pig in the same sentence, and its a disgusting insult on Sarah Palin...

Are you crying?

ARE YOU CRYING?

There's no crying in politics!

331694_f520.jpg

Del has taken to calling me Nancy now, which I presume is a sexuality insult. But as far as Del, and other gutter-type people are concerned, it's okay to call other people names, but they're quick with the indignation when they feel they're being insulted.

Okay Sister, then what should I call you... Bruce?

<_<

Expressing indignation is fine, but you do need to be a somewhat honourable person to begin with... And I'm afraid Del is rather lacking in that department.

Sounds like kitten needs a hug.

:lol:

you have crossed the line del...enough.

You can't see Del says his stuff in good-natured ribbing?

For instance, I can recall another poster using the nickname "Gaybarre" for a fellow poster here and I can't recall too much outcry about him "crossing the line".

If there is a line to cross, then I would absolutely consider "Gaybarre" so far across the line that it's out of sight.

<_<

No. Used once perhaps, then I would agree with you, but Del was using it everytime he referred to me so it was obviously meant to be a degrading comment.

But I seriously don't care, it doesn't worry me what Del thinks of me or what he calls me because, in my eyes, he doesn't do anything that's worthy of any respect. He's too much like Bill O'Reilly for me.

The reason why I brought it up is just to point out the double-standard. Del's talking about the shamefulness of Obama's comments that he thought were insulting name-calling to Sarah Palin, and I'm just saying it's a bit hypocritical since Del is usually very happy to insult people with name calling all the time.

For instance, I can recall another poster using the nickname "Gaybarre" for a fellow poster here and I can't recall too much outcry about him "crossing the line".

If there is a line to cross, then I would absolutely consider "Gaybarre" so far across the line that it's out of sight.

<_<

Steve A Jones used to use the term 'gaybarre'.

Your country is argubly the most powerful in the world, and I believe that what happens in America does influence the rest of the world. And if you have a president that can turn your country around, then maybe he'll have a positive global impact as well.

Good point. But don't forget that what happens in much smaller places like Pakistan, Georgia and North Korea also influence the rest of the world as well.

A good reason why John McCain is the only logical choice as the next commander in chief for the United States.

you have crossed the line del...enough.

I can't help myself. So many rich targets of oppourtunity around here.

MMmmm.... ribs!

19e5764076041f9c_m.jpg

drooling_homer.png

"Horsey" is "Gainsbarre"?

I didn't even realize. I thought "Horsey" was a chick.

My bad.

B)

No. Used once perhaps, then I would agree with you, but Del was using it everytime he referred to me so it was obviously meant to be a degrading comment.

I feel your pain.

bill-clinton.jpg

But I seriously don't care, it doesn't worry me what Del thinks of me or what he calls me because, in my eyes, he doesn't do anything that's worthy of any respect. He's too much like Bill O'Reilly for me.

Now that is low. I can't even stand Bill O'Reilly.

He is way too much of a bloviating liberal attention whore for me.

Now Ann Coulter is someone I can really admire.

:D

The reason why I brought it up is just to point out the double-standard. Del's talking about the shamefulness of Obama's comments that he thought were insulting name-calling to Sarah Palin, and I'm just saying it's a bit hypocritical since Del is usually very happy to insult people with name calling all the time.

The obvious answer to that is that Del is not running for President is he?

Steve A Jones used to use the term 'gaybarre'.

I actually admire Steve A Jones for his ability to be one of the "puppetmasters" here at .com.

There really are only a few of us in that League (myself included of course), along with Knebby, Hermit, Evster, and that tall blond chick with the really big boobs... although her name escapes me right now.

Horsey/Gainsbarre,

You really need to respect your superiors... no matter what side we are on.

we are still your overlords.

digest20033_milani1.jpg

Shirley, my friend,..

oops.

I, mean,..

Surely, my friend, you can see that by complaining about playfully being called "Nancy", you are playing into Del's hand and are even, to some degree, validating his jab,.. can't you?

Listen. I've known Del for a few years now. He can be a real horse's ass at times, but generally speaking he means no harm he's harmless. Yes, his povs and values are laughably archaic. So pity him and laugh at him (and when possible laugh with him), but don't waste your energy hating him. Beneath his tough guy charade he's actually quite nice not actually all that bad. He doesn't want anyone to know it but he he really does love people. All people. [well.. you know.. as long as they're white, heterosexual, Christian, American, and republican.. that is. (exceptions granted for hot latinas)]. Uhh.. anyway..

My point being: don't take it too seriously, and definitely don't take it personally, friend.

And most importantly of all: for crying out loud, man,.. don't cry out loud! HIT BACK! Knock his ass out! :cheer:

Cheers.

:beer:

Well said my fellow puppetmaster overlord

Like family we are.

ign-tv-mailbag-tv-miis-20070601010430460.jpg

:D

I can't help myself. So many rich targets of oppourtunity around here.

ahhh...i get it...

like...the usa deserved what it got on sept. 11th...they had it coming... ;)

or...saddam told the truth when he said he didn't have any weapons of mass destruction...we should formally apologize to the iraqi people for calling their president a liar and for invading and destroying their country... :D

wait... back on topic...what i think barack was trying to say...it's kinda funny when you put lipstick on a republican, it gives the whole world a reason to laugh at us behind our backs... :P

Good point. But don't forget that what happens in much smaller places like Pakistan, Georgia and North Korea also influence the rest of the world as well.

A good reason why John McCain is the only logical choice as the next commander in chief for the United States.

Logical choice? I suggest you pull your head out of your ass

Oh, make no mistake. I want Obama to win.

Obama response to McCain's outrage to pig with lipstick.

Before we begin today I want to say a few words about the latest made up controversy by the John McCain campaign.

What their campaign has done this morning is the same game that has made people sick and tired of politics in this country. They seize on an innocent remark, try to take it out of context, throw up an outrageous ad, because they know that it's catnip for the news media.

Some of you may have, I'm assuming you guys heard this watching the news. I'm talking about John McCain's economic policies. I say, "This is more of the same. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," and suddenly they say, "oh you must be talking about the governor of Alaska."

See it would be funny except, of course the news media decided that was the lead story yesterday. This McCain campaign would much rather have the story about phony and foolish diversions than about the future.

This happens every election cycle. Every four years this is what we do.

We've got an energy crisis. We have an education system that is not working for too many of our children and making us less competitive. We have an economy that is creating hardship for families all across America. We've got two wars going on, veterans coming home not being cared for, and this is what they want to talk about. This is what they want to spend two of the last fifty-five days talking about.

Do you know who ends up losing at the end of the day? It's not the Democratic candidate. It's not the Republican candidate. It's you, the American people.

Because then we go another year or another four years or another eight years without addressing the issues that matter to you.

Enough, I don't care what they say about me. But I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phony outrage and swift vote politics.

Enough is enough. These are serious times and they call for a serious debate about where we need to take the nation.

We can't take another four years that are like the last eight, where family incomes are going down at the same time as costs of everything are on the rise, where we keep on spending ten billion dollars a month in Iraq, at a time when our own infrastructure here at home is crumbling, and the Iraqis have a 79 billion dollar surplus that they're not spending.

We can't take another four years of the same trickle down, on your own, special interests first approach to economics that is killing the middle class in this country.

John McCain has supported these policies for the last eight years. He believes in them and when you scratch the surface, there's not a dime's worth of difference between what he's offering and what we've already got.

When he's done giving tax breaks to companies that ship our jobs overseas or 300 billion dollars to the biggest corporations in America, including the oil companies, that are already making money hand over fist, the only change you're gonna get are some pennies in your pocket.

So spare me the phony outrage. Spare me the phony talk about change.

We have real problems in this country right now, and the American people are looking to us for answers, not distractions, not diversions, not manipulations.

They want real answers to the real problems that we are facing.

That's the kind of debate that I intend to have, because that's the kind of debate the American people deserve.

You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

I did not hear any mention of Sarah Palin in Barack Obama's speech.

When is it OK to talk about lipstick on pigs? It depends.

Sen. Barack Obama is being lambasted for his statement about Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin's policies not being about change but "just calling the same thing something different."

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," Obama said during a town-hall style event in Virginia on Tuesday night.

As you probably recall, Palin got applause at the Republican National Convention when she said that the only difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom (meaning herself) is that the latter wears lipstick. I think there are a few other differences, but I won't go into that here.

Now McCain's camp is acting outraged, outraged! It is accusing Obama of talking about Palin, calling Barack's comment "offensive and disgraceful" and saying Obama owes Palin an apology. This war hero and his self-described pit bull are so sensitive!

Meanwhile, McCain may have conveniently forgotten (hey, the dude's, like, really old) that he once used the same analogy in a 2007 Chicago Tribune article about Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's healthcare plan. And I didn't hear anything about Hillary demanding an apology.

"I think they put some lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," McCain is quoted as saying about Clinton's proposal.

If I were a pig or a pit bull, I might be offended. But right now I'm a little more worried about my mortgage, the price of gas and the economy, stupid.

Oh, and gorgeous actresses with waves in their hair.

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Who First Put "Lipstick on a Pig"?

The origins of the porcine proverb.

By Ben Zimmer

Posted Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2008, at 5:37 PM ET

When Barack Obama told a crowd at a campaign event on Tuesday, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig," the McCain campaign swiftly took offense, claiming the analogy was directed at vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin. Obama campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki countered the accusation, saying, "That expression is older than my grandfather's grandfather and it means that you can dress something up but it doesn't change what it is." Is the expression really that old?

The concept is an old one, but the phrasing used by Obama is rather new. Many porcine proverbs describe vain attempts at converting something from ugly to pretty, or from useless to useful. The famous maxim that "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" dates back at least to the mid-16th century. Other old sayings play on the ludicrousness of a pig getting dressed up. "A hog in armour is still but a hog" was recorded in 1732 by British physician Thomas Fuller. As Francis Grose later explained in A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1796), a "hog in armour" alludes to "an awkward or mean looking man or woman, finely dressed." Charles H. Spurgeon noted another variation in his 1887 compendium of proverbs, The Salt-Cellars: "A hog in a silk waistcoat is still a hog," meaning, "Circumstances do not alter a man's nature, nor even his manners."

The "lipstick" variation is relatively novel—not surprising, since the word lipstick itself dates only to 1880. The incongruity of pigs and cosmetics was expressed as early as 1926 by the colorful editor Charles F. Lummis, writing in the Los Angeles Times: "Most of us know as much of history as a pig does of lipsticks." But the exact wording of "putting lipstick on a pig (or hog)" doesn't show up until much later. In 1985, the Washington Post quoted a San Francisco radio host on plans for renovating Candlestick Park (instead of building a new downtown stadium for the Giants): "That would be like putting lipstick on a pig."

Ann Richards did much to boost the saying's political popularity when she used a number of variations while governor of Texas in the early '90s. In 1991, in her first budget-writing session, she said, "This is not another one of those deals where you put lipstick on a hog and call it a princess." The next year, at a Democratic barbecue in South Dakota, she criticized the George H.W. Bush administration for using warships to protect oil tankers in the Middle East, which she considered a hidden subsidy for foreign oil. "You can put lipstick on a hog and call it Monique, but it is still a pig," she said. Richards returned to the theme in her failed 1994 gubernatorial race against the younger Bush, using the "call it Monique" line to disparage her opponent's negative ads.

Since then, "lipstick on a pig" has spiced up the political verbiage of everyone from Charlie Rangel to Dick Cheney. John McCain himself used it last year to describe Hillary Clinton's health care proposal. And even though the folksy expression is one that sounds old (and connects back to genuinely old proverbs), it's not quite the vintage of anyone's grandfather's grandfather.

slate.com

Archived