BARACK OBAMA MAKES A STUPID COMMENT AGAINST PALIN

Del Zeppnile

HOLY SOW!

OBAMA TAKES A PIG AND A POKE AT PALIN

Barack Obama stuck his foot in his mouth yesterday when he said "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"- which the angry McCain campaign immediately denounced as an out-of-bounds attack on running mate Sarah Palin.

Obama delivered the line while campaigning in Lebanon, Va., tearing into his rivals for not representing real change.

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

He added, "You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called 'change.' It's still gonna stink after eight years."

Many in the Obama crowd cheered and leaped to their feet in delight - apparently taking the "pig" comment as a direct slam at Palin.

McCain's camp in turn accused Obama of "smearing" Palin in his "offensive and disgraceful" comments and demanded an apology - though McCain himself used the folksy metaphor a few times last year, including once to describe Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan.

The McCain campaign on Wednesday issued an Internet ad that said Obama was talking about Palin and said of Obama: "Ready to lead? No. Ready to smear? Yes."

Obama then accused McCain's campaign of using "lies and phony outrage and Swift-boat politics" by saying his comment was sexist, and called it "the latest made-up controversy by the John McCain campaign."

One of her most memorable lines during her vice-presidential acceptance speech at the GOP convention last week was the ad lib: "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick." The line drew roars from the party faithful.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Jane Swift, speaking on behalf of Republican nominee John McCain's presidential campaign, quickly called on Obama to apologize.

"It's disgraceful. Sen. Obama owes Gov. Palin an apology," Swift said.

"This is just the latest in a series of comments that females like me will find offensive . . . There's only one woman in the race. It's hard to think this was directed at anybody other than Gov. Palin."

New York Republican activist Georgette Mosbacher said Obama's pig remark was beyond the pale.

"It's stupid," Mosbacher told The Post. "It's an insult to all women, regardless of political party. Unbelievable. Of all the animals to use."

Former Staten Island GOP chairwoman Olga Igneri cried foul.

"This is particularly offensive coming from someone running for president," Igneri said. "That's a flip, snide, snotty remark. I'm sorry to hear he's getting down and dirty."

Obama's campaign spokesman insisted he wasn't referring to Palin with the line, calling it an old expression.

"Enough is enough. The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy - the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health-care plan just last year," said Obama advisor Anita Dunn.

"This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run."

Last year, McCain knocked down Clinton's latest health plan by comparing it to putting "lipstick on a pig."

Obama also used the phrase last year in the context of Iraq war strategy.

Obama's gaffe come as he has struggled with how to handle Palin since McCain made the surprising pick for his ticket.

Palin gave the McCain campaign new energy, evidenced by a jump in the polls, a surge in volunteers and big crowds.

Recent polls show the race to be a dead heat or give McCain a slight lead, while the Republicans have gained among white women and independents.

But after Obama first focused his attacks on McCain, in recent days, he and running mate Joe Biden have been ratcheting up their direct hits on Palin.

Obama has drawn laughs at his rallies by describing her as a "moose shooter," even as he assures his audience he is complimenting her for her background.

In Farmington Hills, Mich., a crowd booed on Monday when Obama first mentioned Palin's name and laughed when he said she had a compelling biography.

"Whatever," an audience member shouted, as Obama tried to continue.

And in Dayton, Ohio, yesterday, another Obama crowd cheered "No pit bulls! No pit bulls!" - a reference to Palin's joke.

geoff.earle@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09102008/news/...ngle_128304.htm

He was clearly talking about McCain's claim of change. It's funny they want to cry about it.. And they have a great clip of John McCain using the same phrase against Hillary's plans...

It's a very common phrase you hear a lot in politics; talking about how dressing up the same old policies in new clothes or lipstick in this case, doesn't change the policies. Anyone with half a brain knows this, people are just looking for something to whine about.

He was clearly talking about McCain's claim of change. It's funny they want to cry about it.. And they have a great clip of John McCain using the same phrase against Hillary's plans...

And Hillary was tough and not a word was spoken otherwise,was it?

Dick Cheney has said it, too. It's entertainiment at it's finest watching a bunch of fucking dumb ass reactionaries go crazy over this :thumbsup:

It's only a problem when a Democrat says it. Republicans can say all the vile things they want and it's okay. Like when McCain called Chelsea Clinton ugly in front of a room full of supporters in 1996. That was okay because McCain is a Republican. Or when he called his wife a c--t. That was okay too. Or when he joked about rape. Or when he used the same comment Barack Obama did to describe Hillary Clinton's policy stance.

It's only okay if you're a Republican. Key word(s) today, kids: Cognitive Dissonance.

Let a republican use the phrase "call a spade a spade".

See how dismissive the left is then.

The lipstick comment is meaningless to me, even admittedly clever.

But it's quite disingenuous to suggest B.O. didn't use that particular phrase purposely.

But to reiterate, I am not concerned about his use of the phrase.

And once again, no one cares what the gaggle of liberal gals around here think about this. With this latest obama, "Stick my foot in my mouth" gaff, even more non :wacko: feminist :wacko: Women are crossing over to the McBrillant / Palin side.

The only women I know that are voting for McCain are already Republicans and were going to vote republican anyway. The only difference is they are feeling like they have a chance now. Republicans didn't even feel like they were in the game until Palin gave her speech.

And once again, you do care or you wouldn't argue your point so often with us. And really, must you be so rude?

The only women I know that are voting for McCain are already Republicans and were going to vote republican anyway. The only difference is they are feeling like they have a chance now. Republicans didn't even feel like they were in the game until Palin gave her speech.

And once again, you do care or you wouldn't argue your point so often with us. And really, must you be so rude?

I'll answer that for him. Yes. He knows good and well that no "liberal gals" anywhere were ever, at any point, threatened/worried/scared by the Palin pick. She is the absolute antithesis of what a liberal woman stands for. And like you said, any woman voting for her because she's a woman are Republicans anyway, or were only voting Democrat if Hillary got the nomination. They are not true Democrats if they're jumping ship for a Fundie.

Seems to me this election is turning into a popularity and beauty contest. That is not good. My mother works with an african american lady that is supporting Obama. My mother asked why. She responded, "because he is hot". Wow, that's a great basis to vote for him isn't it? I think Palin is hot so I guess I should vote for her on that basis? Did you see her in that bikini? What the hell is the world coming to? The truth is, I watched all the speech's and I am going to vote McCain because I think he is more experienced and I have no doubt that his motives are sincere. I am a Democrat but I am going to cross party lines for the first time ever. I am far more impressed with Palin than Biden even though she is no Hillary when it comes to experience. I am still dumbfounded by the fact that any of these four people got nominated.

Hate to break this to you, but that was quite clearly a photoshopped image. CNN was too stupid to realize that and ran with the images anyway.

Archived