MY TRUE STORY

Zepp-4-Life

Greetings,

Thanks for dropping in here and taking your time to read my words.

I am about to write something very long , very unbelievable and very true.

This story has never seen the light of copy , type or internet form.

The reason it surfaces here at a LZ forum is because it is solely based on a direct connection and could not have happened without that presence.

Grab a drink, make yourself comfortable and consider the following .........

We will begin by explaining the circumstances which lead up to this incredible event.

The year is 1995 , the month of April and Jimmy Page and Robert Plant have just launched their North American concert tour. After witnessing the concert at the Skydome in Toronto , Canada I decided that I was going to need more music from our boys.

Having been a LZ fan for all of my life and attending many Jimmy and Robert solo performances throughout the years the lure of my favorite rock duo was too much.

A plan was forming.

Upon checking the concert program purchased at the Toronto performance I began calculations on a mini tour of my own by plotting which shows I would be able to attend.

Realizing my navigational limits and following the budget I was able to conceive a plan to see two more shows scheduled in Auburn Hills, Michigan and two more shows in Boston , Massachusetts.

Luckily later on I was also able to attend two more shows in Vancouver and Montreal.

The first dates were in Auburn Hills , about a four hour drive from my home town of Toronto.

Joining my two good friends Bill and Roger we embarked on our destination one fine morning , the day of the first show in Michigan. Everything was feeling groovy the whole drive there.

The anticipation of seeing JP and RP once again was like the feeling of being a child again on Christmas Eve.

We had learned that the band was changing the set list each night and the thought of seeing some new material was very exciting.

The plan was unfolding like a well rehearsed sketch until........................

The USA custom's and border.

The good ole American border. the only place in the world where I get this feeling of complete helplessness. Just too many scary stories about people being caught for innocent crimes has permanently given me a fear of that border crossing.

Our plan sure took a twist for the worst when we approached the custom's agent for our crossing.

It goes like this ---

Citizenship ??

Canadian , Canadian, Canadian

How long will you be staying ??

2 days

Destination??

Aaaaah, not sure , it's called Auburn Hills.

The border guard took one look at us ( long hair rock n roll dudes ) and commanded our vehicle to pull over for the inspection area. Uh Oh !!! Right then I felt the air leaving our sails , but having been through this before a few times I thought there might be hope. Maybe a few routine questions and we'd be on our way right ?? Wrong . We were asked several questions each including some about our past and the criminal record history.

Now let me go on record right now and say that I was no angel as a young man. Anyone that knows me would tell you that I am a respectable man , however , there was a time when me and the law where no strangers. My past does include some brushes with an officer or two or maybe three and four. It was all harmless petty incidents and I'm ok now. I think -- lol.

So, suffice it to say when the border guard asked about the past, I may have stretched the truth somewhat.

I went on record as well as my compatriots as having no record.

Bad move.

The reason for the betrayal of truth was because in the past I had pulled this off before and thought , hey what's wrong with a winning formula. Wrong again .

Upon checking our names through the computer system I was politely ushered into my very own private interrogation suite and told to wait. Very cozy !! I knew what this could lead to and I began preparing myself for the worst. One of my greatest concerns was that they would search the car and find traces of who knows what. We hadn't dared to consider bringing anything illegal but since it wasn't my car , I feared the possibilities.

Enter the big bad border meanies.

After having me wait for about two hours the information seminar was about to fire up and I was ready to play my part.

In their most intimidating fashion they started asking my about why I had denied my past and what it was that I was trying to hide. I continued to reassure them that there was no secret conspiracy , and was simply going to see a rock concert.

Needless to say they didn't take kindly to my portrayal of naivety , and began the process of charging me with illegal immigration. Unreal.

So, to make a long story longer , the summation of our border crossing was there was no crossing. Me and my friend Bill were sent back to Canada complete with new chargers for attempting illegal immigration. Someone throw a Mexican joke in here please.

Roger went unscathed as he was a clean background.

The entire process had taken about eight hours and the concert for that night was a wash.

A bitter disappointment to go from sheer elation to rejection . A new plan was forming.

I was not to be denied. the idea of missing the second show was purely unfathomable. The wheels were set in motion and we booked ourselves a room in Windsor Ont., and started plotting our next move.

I phoned the local RCMP of Canada office and asked some questions pertaining to my charges.

I also asked about the consequences of trying another border crossing and being caught again.

I was told that the worst outcome would be another set of charges followed by detainment while awaiting extradition back to Canada. A possible time of up to seven days.

That was all I needed to hear . I decided to give it another go and try another border crossing in the morning.

The following day we had a hearty breakfast and deliberated the plan. Bill had decided it was too risky and said he would wait for me as morale support on the Canadian side.

So me and Roger hatched the scheme.

Since Roger was clean and could travel in the USA , it was up to me to cross solo via an alternative way. Roger would drive across free of trouble and I was supposed to meet him on the other side as well.

The Detroit tunnel bus was the chosen transportation and I boarded it with full hope and a sense of trepidation. The rendezvous was underway.

The old butterflies were flapping as I lined up for the immigration department on the way through custom's. The first half of the people on the bus were all American and were waved through in no time. As I approached my turn I realized that I was going to be the first Canadian to exit the bus. Sure enough when I stated my citizenship I was told to step aside and wait for processing.

I thought here we go , a week in the local detention unit , all expenses paid . Hope the food is good.

When I passed the custom's official my passport ( just like the day before ) I answered the typical questions and was told to sit and wait. Wait for the inevitable is all I could think.

The agent consulted his computer, entered my information and for what ever reason ( Zepp God's ) my file came up clear and I was told to have a nice stay while in the country.

Unreal . Incredible. I couldn't believe it . The exact opposite of the day before .

I was in , and ready to rock n roll.

I gathered myself , thanked him and headed for the arranged meeting spot.

Roger and I headed to Auburn Hills singing the whole way.

The show was fantastic , we had great seats side stage on JP's right , Robert was in amazing form and it was definitely a classic memory for the files.

And now we get to the next chapter in the story ......................

Upon my return to Toronto there was a span of about two weeks before the Boston shows.

Plenty of time to prepare the next game plan. Unfortunately, or maybe it was destined I was apparently soloing on the next mission. Nobody could join me in the expedition.

Destination -- Boston , transportation ??? company --- none.

I thought to myself what's the cheapest way to travel to Boston ??

Trains , planes or buses were my choices. After consulting the travel sections of local newspapers and placing several phone calls I began making my decisions.

There was a Greyhound bus which left Toronto at 10 PM and arrived in downtown Boston the following afternoon which left the terminal every evening. Now all I needed was a full proof plan to cross that border once again. No small task. This is where the story gets it's start.

Enter my room mate and friend at the time ----- Daniel James Williamson.

Now remember that name for it will be engraved in my mind eternally for reason's which will be a part of this tale . Entirely 100% true .

Dan and I had been living together for about half a year at that point and were sharing a great friendship of trust and honor. Dan was the former vocalist for a band I was involved with and we had decided to rent a two bedroom house for financial savings and jam-a-bility.

I never thought that our lives would be forever entwined as it is , after a simple trip to Boston Massachusetts.

Continued............

My idea was to borrow Dan's identification to cross the border . Simple.

Just become Daniel James Williamson for one minute worth of custom questioning and presto.

Impersonation seemed like the easiest way to avoid hassles. Becoming a person with no record was the answer. Getting Dan to agree to the plan was the only problem I could envision.

So, a few day before the trip was to begin I summoned up my best straight face and broke the news to the unsuspecting roomie. At first there was some serious resistance , but I felt there was hope so offered up some incentives to sweeten to the pot ( $$ ).

I proceeded to whittle Dan down and at last he buckled and agreed. It was official.

I was now headed to Beantown for some JP and RP action. Two more shows !!

The day before the first concert date , I packed my necessities and headed for the bus station destined for Boston. Since the ride was an all-nighter I thought it would be a great way to travel and maybe catch some sleep along the way.

I was happily seated and headed for the custom's showdown --- lol.

Luckily there was room enough to stretch out and get comfortable and I was able to doze in and out of sleep most of the way down. All the while smiling in anticipation of two more life altering experiences. To my great surprise , this time the border crossing was totally uneventful and I breezed through with the slightest of ease , three or four questions and I was in America. Bound for glory !!

Daniel James Williamson was officially in the USA.

The bus arrived on time around 2 PM and things were rolling as planned. Now I needed accommodations and primarily , tickets to these two mega nights.

Grabbing a cab and saying " Boston Garden's " felt like a dream come true. The sun was shining on a fine Spring day and everything was feeling gooooooood.

Hopping out of my cab in front of Da Garden's is still something I'll never forget. I was about to enter one of the oldest professional sport buildings left from an era long ago.

Now I needed my tickets.

Apparently I arrived early and the box office hadn't opened yet. I thought maybe this was a good time to find my hotel for the stay while in Boston. Something close to the venue was my first idea so I started walking around the downtown sector and finally picked a little pub to make some inquiries. Also after a long trip the taste of a couple of celebratory cool one's was not to be denied .

The bartender was a nice chap and recommended a few places that were all relatively close by so I thanked him and headed on my way.

Now this is where it all begins. I know this story is a little lengthy , but trust me , the final punchline is well worth the time. At this juncture I also like to begin my calculations to an equation that can never really be answered , but it's fun to think about.

So far you don't know what I am refering to , but bare with me , take a moment from here on and start imagining the improbabilities that occurred to make this story so unique.

Onward.

So, there I was walking in downtown Boston about to check various possible lodgings for the next couple of days. The first hotel was fully occupied ( strike one ), the second hotel wanted $225 per night and that seemed high. I then headed for the third hotel suggested.

I don't recall the name of this particular establishment , but it sure plays a significant role in the storyline.

You see, apparently the cleaning lady for that day was late and the rooms hadn't been cleaned yet, so the staff in reception were very apologetic and willing to accommodate my temporary needs so we made an agreement. I could leave my luggage in their security storage for the afternoon , return later and complete my registration for the check in. I agreed, left my personal information with the hostess , and proceeded back to the Garden's still in need of the tickets .

As luck would have it , upon my return to the Garden , I was warmly greeted by a throng of the local ticket agents , or should we say " scalpers ". It was comforting to know that within no time I would have in my possession , the so needed ducats for these two big nights.

Making deals with ticket brokers is an old hobby of mine so I wheeled and dealed with a few of Boston's finest , got the scoop on what was available at what prices and finally cut a deal for the best seats at the best price. Floors close up for show 1, and first row side stage for show 2.

It was all coming together.

And then it gets a little more interesting .

With tickets in hand , hotel apparently dealt with , it was now time for some fiesta .

Time to unwind , throw back a couple of whobbly pops and prepare for an evening of splendor.

Noticing a sports paraphernalia store right in the Garden , I thought it would be interesting to go and look at some of the items for sale. As it turns out , not only was it a place for selling things, it was also a sports memorabilia museum featuring collectibles from many historic moments stemming from the athletes of the Boston franchises. Bruins , Celtics and Red Sox.

Being a sports fan all my life, I spent the better part of at least a couple of hours lost in a world of magic memories and magnificent moments.

And the the next part of this story rears itself.

Continued.......

Noticing that the afternoon had passed by some , I realized it was time to get a move on.

I headed for the exit and on my way out I saw a rather large stand that was featuring a ton of little pamphlets that were all advertisements for the activities to do in and around the Massachusetts area. Tourist guides if you will.

I find it even surprising that I actually stopped because I remember that I'd seen a similar stand in my hotel lobby , and I recall thinking to myself that I shouldn't be wasting any more of my time here. It's all a part of what makes this story.

As I stood in front of the display viewing them in a quick like manner I was attracted to a certain pamph which was called International Hostelling. So I picked it up out of it's slot and proceeded to read the contents , of which I found to be very interesting. The first thing I liked was that the hostel pamph claimed to be all about meeting and greeting people from all over the world.

The second claim I liked even more , the price per night , $17 .

Weighing my new possibilities became the next crucial element to this sordid tale.

The hotel I booked in was $ 175 per night , and close to the venue.

A quick phone call to the hostel confirmed that it was within a decent range and would cost only a $5 dollar cab ride.

The numbers became -- fancy place for $350 or hostel for $34 . With a savings of over 300 I was already thinking of the many concert items I could add to my purchasing. I was sold.

Now back to my original hotel for my luggage and explanation .

Heading back I felt excited about my new turn of events and was eager to check out my new chapter in accommodations. Although I had reserved a room for two nights at the nice place, the hotel was quite nice about my new change of plans and bid me a fond farewell.

Grabbing a cab and heading into the unknown , I couldn't help wondering what lay in waiting.

Little did I know just how extreme things would be.

With suitcase in hand I arrived at the front doorsteps of my new destination and made my grand entrance. Daniel James Williamson had entered the building.

The check in procedure was standard, and I was greeted by many the passer-by's as I made my necessary arrangements. I was given a good speech regarding the hostel's rules and policies by the staff , along with an explanation of the lay of the land .

I was told to take room 220 on the second floor.

Now it's important to define the size of the hostel itself.

6 floors

10 rooms per floor

6 bunk beds per room

All together it holds about 350 beds or more . Quite a large capacity.

The odds are rising.

Arriving at the designated room I was delighted to discover that the rooms were not only neat and comfortable , but clean and nice. And I was the first lodger in my particular room for the night.

This allowed me me to select which bed I preferred. The choice to be made involved three bunk beds and I quickly decided I liked the bunk beside the only window in the room.

Now I needed to unpack and prepare my cot.

After making the bed into a sleepable arrangement I began considering where I could put some of my personal items for the night. I didn't have much clothing but still wanted to lighten my bag for carrying around.

With a couple of dresser's to choose from I started to look through the drawers of each to see what I was dealing with. Realizing I had some cleaning to do I selected the dresser with the least amount of clutter in it.

So, there I was happily establishing my vacation's abode , leafing through drawer's which were full of various magazine's , newspaper's, and leaflets when I see a tiny red book with a tie-die like aging cover. I picked it out of the drawer and realized that it was a small Bible.

Liking the look of the tie-die right away I knew instantly that it was a keeper.

My very own pocket sized Bible . A keepsake from the trip and a nice reminder of that time.

It's important to mention here that I am not of any particular religion, don't attend church and have never professed to be of any real belief system.

There are many ways to interpret living on earth.

Nothing could have prepared me more for the next moment .

Upon opening the cover of the Bible and glancing at the first page I was totally shocked to discover that it was a page that included the owner's name in personal handwriting.

Staring at me in the face in child-like printing was the name -- DANIEL JAMES WILLIAMSON

Whoa !!! What a trip !!! Come on ??? This is too unreal .

I can't fully describe just how I felt at that precise time.

Here I am impersonating my friend Daniel James Williamson and I've just found a Bible with the the very same name in it. Imagine the odds.

Little did I know what was in store.

With little time to squander I tucked away the Bible into my personal gear and finished the unpacking of my belongings.

Next was time for the show and with everything in place I started my journey back to the Garden with visions of telling this strange little occurance back home , as well as anyone that would listen while I stayed in Boston. It was quite a find.

Before continuing with the account of the Bible experience, let me quickly include that the remainder of my stay in Boston was very enjoyable. The two concerts were amazing jams , and the boys never sounded better . I know of audio and video sources for both shows but still haven't done the acquisition part . Anyone wanting to help , let me know -- thanks.

During the remainder of my stay I met some interesting people and had a terrific time.

And now we get to the important segment of this phenomena........

After arriving safely back home in our good ole country of Canada and making my way back to the homestead I was greeted by an anxious room-mate whom awaited the safe return of his identification as well as my accounts of the travel.

Handing over the ID and explaining the successful border crossing was a relief to both of us and I began to tell Dan all about the trip. Describing my journey naturally lead to the wild part involving the Bible that I had found ( or it found me ) and the pure coincidence that the previous owner just so happened to have a unique name in it. Daniel James Williamson.

Considering the fact that I was Daniel James Williamson at that point , we both marveled at just how incredibly difficult it is to fathom the odds of such a happening.

And then the bomb !!!

Digging through my luggage I proceeded to produce my newly found treasure for Dan to actually see and hold .

I can still see the look on his face as soon as he saw the Bible in my hands.

His exact words were " I had a Bible like that when I was a kid ".

Right there and then I said to myself , " no way " . It couldn't be possible.

Handing it over to him I watched in disbelief his reaction as he opened it up to that first page and announced " this is my Bible !! ".

There was a moment of silence as the ramifications settled in .

Dan continued " I lost this Bible when I was 8 years old in St. Thomas Ontario , where I lived as a child. "

His father had given it to him to carry around in his wallet .

What can you think about something as bizarre.

I had to shake my head in shock , this was incredible .

Astonishing , bewildering and mesmerizing.

I had just found something that was lost 27 years beforehand , 1000's of miles away while being the person who owned it . Calculate those odds .

The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

When I started thinking about all the variable events that lead me to that discovery I realized that there were greater powers at hand.

Having the original troubles at the border instigated the whole plan and course of action.

If the cleaning lady hadn't been late at the hotel , I would have checked in, unpacked , showered and never considered alternate accommodations.

Stopping at that rack and seeing the pamphlet is another.

Which floor and room in the hostel I went to only fuels the improbability.

It's a miracle.

Finding that Bible with such extenuating circumstances has forver given me a renewed belief in the spirituality of the world we live in.

The End

J Jones

Just joshing you Z.

It was a great story and I would like to thank you for sharing it with me/us on this forum.

No probz , and I will add that amazingly the border guards did a complete dog sniffing of the car and we passed the test.

Only to discover the next day that a little something funny was in the trunk unknowingly to all of us.

Thank the LZ Gawd's !!!

Glad you liked the story --- Thanks.

Its happened to me Z4L

Hotel parking lot in Detroit (for a Red Wing/Leaf game), go in the trunk to get windshield wiper fluid and notice "a little something" of my buddies that he lost the weekend before while we were ice fishing - just freekin great. I call him on my cell and ask if he was missing something....yeah, can you bring it back?

He never was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Just wait til stuff like that starts happening to you in hyperdrive, lol.

Hmmmmm , ok.

I can say that it wasn't the first nor last very strange occurrence in my life.

There have been others. I'm not so sure about what you mean by hyperdrive.

But I am into anything that is of the unknowns.

And then what happened?

Interestingly , as it was Daniel's parents just happened to be ordained minister's.

He was raised in a very religious family and his parents both preached at the local church.

The so mentioned Bible was given to him as a child to carry around .

When the parents visited next , the looks on their faces when we told them about the story and actually produced the Bible in front of their eyes was quite memorable.

I still vividly recall his father looking almost through me in disbelief.

And to this day the parents apparently still use this story during the occasional mass , telling it and using the miracle as a source of believing.

Sadly the Bible must have had an agenda of it's own. I lost it.

Later that same year while traveling , and carrying it with me , often telling the tale I stopped at a rest place up in the mountains of British Columbia and it was accidentally left behind in a pouch . I returned awhile later and it was gone.

On another voyage I suppose. Off to make believer's of many more I hope.

In a world full of darkness , it's nice when a beam of hope shines through .

In the light.

Cool story, thanks for sharing that.

The border part reminded me of a story from my friends. they are a married couple who sailed from -maine down to the florida keys. their planning a trip to the bahamas soon. they've been living and working down there. anyway, my friends wife is from -minnesota and they have a place up in -maine. they bought a dinghy for their sailboat in maine and tied it to the roof of their car and planned a scenic trip to minnesota around the great lakes in -canada. before hitting maine, they stopped in vermont to work on this apple orchard where they met each other and had a bunch of apple cider and apple jack as well.

Their roadtrip around the great lakes was going well until they hit a bad snow storm. they had to stay right behind this semi truck the whole time, otherwise they couldnt see anything, not even the road.

At the boarder crossing, they were pulled aside immediatly because of the boat on the roof of the car. They were explaining their trip from florida and buying the dinghy for their sailboat and then the apple cider was an issue. They were dying, thinking they were going to get into trouble for the apple cider turned alcohol,trafficking alcohol or something. The bottles were labeled and not lableled...so when the border person picked up one with a label and opened it and tasted it was regular apple cider, they were relieved. Otherwise, the questions were about the boat and why are they travelling in a snow storm and stuff. They were held up there for awhile, until they were sent on their way.

Its happened to me Z4L

Hotel parking lot in Detroit (for a Red Wing/Leaf game), go in the trunk to get windshield wiper fluid and notice "a little something" of my buddies that he lost the weekend before while we were ice fishing - just freekin great. I call him on my cell and ask if he was missing something....yeah, can you bring it back?

He never was the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I used to take HALF of whatever got left in my car, return the other half, and when they asked if i had "pinched" their bag, I said "Yeah, sure did, because if I'd have been busted with it, it ALL would have been mine!"

They never had anything to say after that.

Interestingly , as it was Daniel's parents just happened to be ordained minister's.

He was raised in a very religious family and his parents both preached at the local church.

The so mentioned Bible was given to him as a child to carry around .

When the parents visited next , the looks on their faces when we told them about the story and actually produced the Bible in front of their eyes was quite memorable.

I still vividly recall his father looking almost through me in disbelief.

And to this day the parents apparently still use this story during the occasional mass , telling it and using the miracle as a source of believing.

Later that same year while traveling , and carrying it with me , often telling the tale I stopped at a rest place up in the mountains of British Columbia and it was accidentally left behind in a pouch . I returned awhile later and it was gone.

In the light.

Light Light Light In The Light

Perhaps the Bible was destined for a new reader and had fulfilled its purpose with you.

In the light.

The original Torah had no vowels and no spaces between letters which are actually ciphers. Each Hebrew letter is a thought form much like a glyph.

So originally the Torah was very open ended. So you know sometimes words have two meanings? In reality, words often have far more than two meanings, the torah is unbounded. Which is probably where that bozo got the idea of Do what though wilt, he didn't understand unbounded in hebraic terms, but that's another story....

Anyhow, the English bible has the capability to turn one into an idiot. to believe nonsense and ignore reality. It's probably a blessing in disguise that you left it behind. I have been on many Bible discussion lists and gave up on them all. It's like a battlefield. Kiind of defeats the purpose.

Perhaps the event was to show you just how truly connected the world really is. That's there's a heck of a lot more going on than meets the eyes, and that it's time to pay attention, but not to some failed system that attempts to continue to reinforce itself.

I had a special necklace that my mother gave me that her aunt found on the street in Paris after the war. I lost in on the street in grade 2, but my mom gave it back to me before they moved to Israel when I was 25. It's beyond me how she retrieved it. I gave it to my eldest daughter a couple of years ago. I did so because it was my greatest treasure and I wanted her to know how much she means to me. On a personal level, I miss it like crazy however, it provided a greater meaning in being able to give it away.

Archived