Here's an option for Jimmy.......

bonzo1026

Thought of this last night. READ before the smart ass remarks. It touches on a post I read but I took it a step further.....

Instead of having the pressure of what to call the band or who's gonna sing, Jimmy can record and tour as Jimmy Page & Heavy Friends. Much like what Ringo does with his all-star band. This way, he can still work with Jonesy, Bonham or whoever because the pressure would be off for it being compared to Zep. He could do tunes with Clapton, Beck, Winwood, Rodgers, Jagger, Richards, etc. Could you imagine the tour? There'd be the basic set but "friends" would make appearances to do just a couple songs throughout the night. This way, it's not considered ANY incarnation of Zeppelin but Jimmy playing with his friends.

Totally leaves the door open for Robert to make any shows he can with no pressure or contracts. He could show up to whatever ones he could make and not be obligated to do a full on tour. Or he could not show up at all and there'd be no disappointment cuz there'd be no expectations. Just Jimmy getting it on and having fun.

I can imagine hearing Clapton,, Beck, Page trading solos on I Can't Quit You Babe or You Shook Me. Jimmy and EVH bustin out You Really Got Me or trading some Heartbreaker action. Possibilities are endless and there is no pressure to do just Zep. Of course he could play Zep with a couple guest singers or this "new guy". Do Stairway instrumentally as he did before so no one has to get bent out of shape about who's singing it. I always thought IMTOD would sound really cool instrumentally with a slide guitar doing the vocal melody.

I'm sure it would be a monster to pull off with schedules and whatnot but it's just an idea/thought

Dare I say.....................thoughts?

Thought of this last night. READ before the smart ass remarks. It touches on a post I read but I took it a step further.....

Instead of having the pressure of what to call the band or who's gonna sing, Jimmy can record and tour as Jimmy Page & Heavy Friends. Much like what Ringo does with his all-star band. This way, he can still work with Jonesy, Bonham or whoever because the pressure would be off for it being compared to Zep. He could do tunes with Clapton, Beck, Winwood, Rodgers, Jagger, Richards, etc. Could you imagine the tour? There'd be the basic set but "friends" would make appearances to do just a couple songs throughout the night. This way, it's not considered ANY incarnation of Zeppelin but Jimmy playing with his friends.

Totally leaves the door open for Robert to make any shows he can with no pressure or contracts. He could show up to whatever ones he could make and not be obligated to do a full on tour. Or he could not show up at all and there'd be no disappointment cuz there'd be no expectations. Just Jimmy getting it on and having fun.

I can imagine hearing Clapton,, Beck, Page trading solos on I Can't Quit You Babe or You Shook Me. Jimmy and EVH bustin out You Really Got Me or trading some Heartbreaker action. Possibilities are endless and there is no pressure to do just Zep. Of course he could play Zep with a couple guest singers or this "new guy". Do Stairway instrumentally as he did before so no one has to get bent out of shape about who's singing it. I always thought IMTOD would sound really cool instrumentally with a slide guitar doing the vocal melody.

I'm sure it would be a monster to pull off with schedules and whatnot but it's just an idea/thought

Dare I say.....................thoughts?

A very creative idea. And it does leave the door open for Robert (if he feels like singing a tune or so). But he'll have to do it for sure in Calif. Because if Robert shows up somewhere else and not here.........I'll just have to cry. :'(

Sorry mate already been done.

In 1970 Screaming Lord Sutch released an album called Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends.

The studio band consisted of:

Jimmy Page

John Bonham

Jeff Beck

Nicky Hopkins

Noel Redding

and others.

He was found hanged at his London home on 16/06/1999.

Decent idea, but Jimmy has always seemed to be an outsider when it comes to R&R scene. So I don't know what "name" rock stars would join him on the road.

I say that the 3 J's do a Santana like album, where they get a series of singers come in and record with them. Then which ever singer had the best chemistry gets to go on the road with them. Actually this is more like what the Doors did a few years ago, when they toured with Ian Astbury.

Sorry mate already been done.

In 1970 Screaming Lord Sutch released an album called Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends.

The studio band consisted of:

Jimmy Page

John Bonham

Jeff Beck

Nicky Hopkins

Noel Redding

and others.

He was found hanged at his London home on 16/06/1999.

I know that's been done. I have the album. Jimmy's never done it has he?

I know that's been done. I have the album. Jimmy's never done it has he?

Steady on mate no need to get upset.

Jimmy produced it so yes he has.

All I'm saying is, it was an original idea (most likely his) used so many years ago and knowing Jimmy he would want to create something else that is new.

So why would he want to do it again?

I used to have it on vinyl myself over 30 years ago before some arsehole stole it from me.

Cheers.

Steady on mate no need to get upset.

Jimmy produced it so yes he has.

All I'm saying is, it was an original idea (most likely his) used so many years ago and knowing Jimmy he would want to create something else that is new.

So why would he want to do it again?

I used to have it on vinyl myself over 30 years ago before some arsehole stole it from me.

Cheers.

No no, not upset at all, Reg. I just meant that it would be a cool play on that title. He could always just call it Jimmy Page & Friends. I was looking at it from a perspective of how he could have the freedom to play with womever he chose without the "Zep" pressure. It was more the idea rather than what he calls it.

I actually didn't know it was his idea. I had always heard the story that they were all kind of shamed or pressured into it because of Sutch or his family's influence. I was under the impression that he was some sort of "brat" who had the money to piss around to pay for the sessions and grabbed the best of hte best at the time.

Its a good idea, But i mean it has been done and maybe he wants just a set band. I mean i think if it was possible or wanted it would be done but with touring times of the others and such its hard. I think jimmy just wants his own band again. But hey im not complaining on another super group! :P

No no, not upset at all, Reg. I just meant that it would be a cool play on that title. He could always just call it Jimmy Page & Friends. I was looking at it from a perspective of how he could have the freedom to play with womever he chose without the "Zep" pressure. It was more the idea rather than what he calls it.

I actually didn't know it was his idea. I had always heard the story that they were all kind of shamed or pressured into it because of Sutch or his family's influence. I was under the impression that he was some sort of "brat" who had the money to piss around to pay for the sessions and grabbed the best of hte best at the time.

Yeah Bonzo I know what you mean, the possibilities are endless.

A lot of the suggestions have merit and as Ollipticle pointed out, availability of personnel would be difficult to coordinate.

Not so much from a recording point of view but in a touring band scenario.

The problem I see is that while Santana's Supernatural was a great album with very good and varied singers it would have been a nightmare to put on an extensive tour.

To my knowledge they only played a one off concert together which made it onto a DVD.

He may even put something out without a title or band name, oh that's right he's done that before too!

As for Lord Sutch he was a regular at all the 1960's clubs in London like The Marquee etc. and was the 3rd Earl of Harrow and a politician of sorts.

He was a member of the National Teenage Party 1963 and formed The Official Monster Raving Loony Party in 1982.

sutch69zn5.jpg

agreed it is need but you cant always get what you want lol, With clapton doing crossroads festivals and having beck already i mean it must have been hard to book him for a festival i would imagine a tour would be impossible. I do think that if all else fails though jimmy should do a "zoso" or something fesstival playing with all the people he wants to play with or has over the years. Maybe room for new people to join in and lots of space for the vets.

I still think he just wants one solid band though. I dunno if he would like playing with that many all at once for jimmy it was the element of the band that was a driving force.

I think this the best idea anyone's posted regarding what would be appropriate and comfortable at this time. But names like Jagger and Clapton won't work here. Winwood and Beck would be terrific. How about some black musicians? Dig up more session type players from back in the day, revisit Yardbirds and older blues.

yeah it is one of the better, but it also takes alot of planning. But still could be pulled off with alot of session guys like you suggest. I Dont see winwood doing it without clapton though and Is always around somewhere lol

I don't think JPJ would be keen on being relegated to a "Heavy Friend" (the title of that album caused much hilarity at the time, btw), and I couldn't blame him.

Speaking of hilarity. I don't know if it's just me but everytime I listen to Union Jack Car I laugh my ass off at the one part in the beginning at the line "I got stuck in the traffic". Dude, tell me it doesn't sound EXACTLY like Cheech Marin. LMAO

Nice idea but the logistics would be a mess. And also if that happened it would be limited amount of gigs like the ARMS shows. I really couldn't see anyone commiting to it also, at least not big names, if the majority of the tunes were Zep tunes. Maybe newbie rock stars but not the old stock.

[when_you_get_a_bunch_of_"_all_-_stars_'_playing_together_live_it_becomes_a_mess]

[no_chemistry]

Not always.

If you are referring to ARMS then I agree it was a bit untidy in parts.

Cases in point where it did work, Mad Dogs and Englishmen and Concert for George.

I'm sure there are others.

[when_you_get_a_bunch_of_"_all_-_stars_'_playing_together_live_it_becomes_a_mess]

[no_chemistry]

I can see where that is visible but again they are musicians in their own right and professionals at that. I mean given the right circumstances it would work out quite nicely

Archived