Oxford compiles list of top ten irritating phrases

rafnagud9

A top 10 of irritating expressions has been compiled by researchers at Oxford University.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ng-phrases.html

The top ten most irritating phrases:

1 - At the end of the day

2 - Fairly unique

3 - I personally

4 - At this moment in time

5 - With all due respect

6 - Absolutely

7 - It's a nightmare

8 - Shouldn't of

9 - 24/7

10 - It's not rocket science

The most misused word in the dictionary is "homophobia", used to describe those who have a dislike of gay people. A "phobia" is a FEAR, not a distaste or a dislike.

Obviously, you've never been cornered by a guy who "likes your hair"?

What an odd list. I would have thought that there were many expressions that were worse than these... and especially if you include no. 8 at all. "Absolutely" ..... The French say "absolument" all the time. Is that bad French then? Why would it be a bad expression in English?

Their #1 irritating phrase is also my #1. Next time someone says "at the end of the day" I think I will scream.

But my #2 didn't make the list: "It is what it is." God, I hate that phrase.

Hoo boy...I'd better watch myself around you! :lol:

How about "it ain't what it ain't"?

Haha, I use "it's not rocket science" all the time. I mean, not to people's faces because it is pretty rude, but when you're standing in line for the ATM and the dude at the machine is standing there staring at it and punching a button maybe every 2 minutes, it's a perfect thing to say in your head as you roll your eyes and sigh. Though I suppose if it really is that annoying, shouting out, "HEY ASSHOLE!" will always suffice.

"Shouldn't of" should be number 1. Nothing says ignorance quite like that does. No wait, I take it back. "Oh my god!" should be #1; "shouldn't of" should be #2. You can tell this was put together in England...no way could that phrase escape notice on an American list.

"the bottom line"

"interfacing with" (what's so FUCKING hard about simply saying "talking to"??)

Who the hell says "interfacing with"? Obviously someone who needs an ass-kicking...

"Shouldn't of "

This doesn't make any sense, 'of' what? Maybe these people mean "Shouldn't have" ?

That's the point, it's supposed to be 'Shouldn't have'. I'm a Literature student and it drives me up the wall when people say 'Shouldn't of', instead of 'have'.

Edit: Do you mean the people who did the list or the people who actually say it?

Archived