Longest Stairway to Heaven Version

rtyper

The Knebworth shows, in general, were abysmal. But it had its moments.

The tour over Europe was an awesome tour. Achilles, Trampled, SIBLY and Kashmir were all great.

Agreed...1980 was WAY better than 1979, hands down (with some exceptional moments, of course...)

Knebworth was way better than Berlin 1980!!! Way way way better. I don't like the 1980 tour. The worst ever. Jimmy was on drugs like hell. But Roberts voice started getting better and he could sing the ending from Stairway!

I think drugs affected him in a positive way. Not all the time but he always played really well.

Umm...the 1977 North American Tour would like to talk to you...

I personally, didn't think he played as bad as everyone thinks he did. Just my opinion.

Of course he was still sloppy but he had good days. But you did put the "not all the time" in bold either.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

I personally, didn't think he played as bad as everyone thinks he did. Just my opinion.

Of course he was still sloppy but he had good days. But you did put the "not all the time" in bold either.

Well you were saying that while the drugs didn't "help" him "all the time", he still "played really well"...which is not true. There are quite a few amazing shows from 1977 but so many more where he is at his sloppiest and least-creative (again, with exceptions)

I was enjoying it, just was able to use those "options" for the first time! B)

It seems obvious that the longest Stairway was not the best Stairway! I preferred the 75 or 71 (before the song was released) versions most.

I agree, post-75 the song seems tired...and it's no secret Plant hated it and wanted to either not sing it or do a reggae version of it from 1979 to the end...can't say I blame him, it gets worn out after a while...

The versions from 5/24/75 Earls Court and 7/17/77 are fucking amazing, though...

• 1 month later...

im probably the only one who likes it but i love pages solo at live aid.... the thing was out of tune everything was out of sorts and page just played straightfrom his heart and was speaking through the guitar and even though sloppy made it sound great as only jimmy could achieve...drums were horrendous and had something to do with the sloppiness but i love pages solo.. sometimes even though great some of pages stairway solos are drawn out.. it kinda loses the essence.. i thought live aid hit it right on the money and my fav is the bbc session version.. htwww and the song remains the same solos are some of my least favorite.. the recording is my favorite cuz its shorter but nails perfectly the essence of the song .. thats what solos are for in my opinion.. page 99 percent of the time nailed the essence but occasionally while musically great didnt hit the essence in some ways but i still love them justnot as great but thats no knock on pagey.. love him but sometimes he didnt get the essence completely on live solos for sth is all imsaying

im probably the only one who likes it but i love pages solo at live aid.... the thing was out of tune everything was out of sorts and page just played straightfrom his heart and was speaking through the guitar and even though sloppy made it sound great as only jimmy could achieve...drums were horrendous and had something to do with the sloppiness but i love pages solo.. sometimes even though great some of pages stairway solos are drawn out.. it kinda loses the essence.. i thought live aid hit it right on the money and my fav is the bbc session version.. htwww and the song remains the same solos are some of my least favorite.. the recording is my favorite cuz its shorter but nails perfectly the essence of the song .. thats what solos are for in my opinion.. page 99 percent of the time nailed the essence but occasionally while musically great didnt hit the essence in some ways but i still love them justnot as great but thats no knock on pagey.. love him but sometimes he didnt get the essence completely on live solos for sth is all imsaying

You're not the only one, that solo was brilliant, and considering the guitarist Page was for most of the show, it's even more amazing.

He had his moments during the solo which showed his greatness in creating a melodic riff(s) over the supplied riff(s) in hand. He excelled during the earlier years rather than the latter at this, but took more risks during the 77-80 years. Unfortunately, because of his habit, his creativity and fluent percision were always in jeapardy of failing him during this period. Overall, there are some Page gems from the latter half of the group and I think most of us can agree on that.

The Berlin '80 version, Zeppelin's last concert with John Bonham.

Rumor has it Jimmy smoked a huge joint before they played, which made him stretch the solo.

It was decent.

From a guitar playing perspective, it's really bad, just hear how Jimmy screws up the parts before the drums come in, I really enjoy the solo, it might be slow, spaced out and some parts are weakly executed (well, most of the solo) but the creativity in the song id just mindblowing, he comes up with licks he had never came up with before and plays some really deep moving stuff. In short, though not his best, it's simply breathtaking, listen to the depth of his playing and you'll see.

Edited by Sibh23

Not just Zeppelin's "last concert with Bonham" - the last concert EVER. Also it wasn't just Stairway they stretched on the night - they knew, of course, it was the last show of the tour and they elongated just about EVERY song on that night. It's a fairly bad end to a heavily scaled down set. I went to the opening night of the tour in Dortmund and that certainly sounded better!

• 2 weeks later...

Can this version of Stairway be shared? I'd like to "judge" it myself.

On a side note, I've listened to a ton of bootlegs. Most of them were recorded and passed around on the highest technology of the day: the 90 minute casette tape. These were usually taken from the original "Master" recordings at the shows: a small microphone wired into your Hitachi recording device. Many of the "Engineers" of these shows, and later "Engineers and Producers" who re-recorded these (in their studio's, no, um bedrooms) would later pitch it to their associates (buddies in the back of the 1982 station wagon) as "Dude, gotta bootleg, it's awsome". If listening to STH w/out Page in the recording is awesome, then great!

Don't judge alot of Zeppelin shows/tours based on the bootlegs. The bootlegs were horrible, recopied horribly, and copied again. Just an opinion.

The Knebworth shows, in general, were abysmal. But it had its moments.

The tour over Europe was an awesome tour. Achilles, Trampled, SIBLY and Kashmir were all great.

I totally disagree. I thought they sounded great. They do an awesome funky version of WLL that's amazing!!

Can this version of Stairway be shared? I'd like to "judge" it myself.

On a side note, I've listened to a ton of bootlegs. Most of them were recorded and passed around on the highest technology of the day: the 90 minute casette tape. These were usually taken from the original "Master" recordings at the shows: a small microphone wired into your Hitachi recording device. Many of the "Engineers" of these shows, and later "Engineers and Producers" who re-recorded these (in their studio's, no, um bedrooms) would later pitch it to their associates (buddies in the back of the 1982 station wagon) as "Dude, gotta bootleg, it's awsome". If listening to STH w/out Page in the recording is awesome, then great!

Don't judge alot of Zeppelin shows/tours based on the bootlegs. The bootlegs were horrible, recopied horribly, and copied again. Just an opinion.

I completely disagree with you, bootlegs are the only real way to judge Led Zeppelin tours/shows, as they give a straight, edit-free and thus unaltered account of Led Zeppelin concerts, live releases are polished up just to mask most imperfections.

I'd like to tell you, those days are over. Now trader's trade most recordings in low-gens and some labels discover excellent sounding tapes (well, only you can trust in the most known ones), remasters are now of a higher standard than before and with larger internet communities, bad ones are scrutinized quickly, a lot of "masters" are being transfered these days, and with the advent of technology, max audio quality is ensued.

I completely disagree with you, bootlegs are the only real way to judge Led Zeppelin tours/shows, as they give a straight, edit-free and thus unaltered account of Led Zeppelin concerts, live releases are polished up just to mask most imperfections.

I'd like to tell you, those days are over. Now trader's trade most recordings in low-gens and some labels discover excellent sounding tapes (well, only you can trust in the most known ones), remasters are now of a higher standard than before and with larger internet communities, bad ones are scrutinized quickly, a lot of "masters" are being transfered these days, and with the advent of technology, max audio quality is ensued.

Another poster sent me a PM on where to get good ones, been doing some research. I'll give it an honest listen. Thanks to all who got this old timer up to speed.