Led Zeppelin top poll as The Greatest Live Act Ever

Mudbugclub

Led Zeppelin top a poll as ‘The Greatest Live Act Ever’ on www.thisdayinmusic.com

During the past four weeks This Day in Music.com ran a poll asking “Who has been the greatest live act ever” collecting thousands of votes from all over the world.

Results:

1, Led Zeppelin

2, Queen

3, Pink Floyd

4, Bruce Springsteen

5, The Who

6, The Rolling Stones

7, U2

8, Radiohead

9, AC/DC

10, Guns N’ Roses

11, Nirvana

12, Rush

13, David Bowie

14, Grateful Dead

15, Dave Matthews Band

16, Prince

17, The Beatles

18, Oasis

19, Pearl Jam

20, Metallica

Just outside the Top 20 were:

Aerosmith, Status Quo, Jane’s Addiction, Coldplay, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix and The Clash.

Madonna was the highest placed female being voted in at No. 30.

The only other female acts to receive large numbers of votes were Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Beyonce.

Other acts who received a high number of votes included:

Rick Astley, Michael Jackson, Spinal Tap and The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

It's so True, Zepp, have done, the greatest live acts, that i've ever seen.

But I think that U2 diserves more than a seventh place.

Oh, i almost forgot, i'm new here, i'm glad to find people that love zeppelin the way i love it.

I'm from argentina, i'm 17 years old.

I am not sure how people can say Led Zeppelin were the best live act of all time since the overwhelming majority who voted probably never seen Led Zeppelin live. Pink Floyd 4th bit ridiculous since the last two tours were merely cover band tours with an army of back up musicians.

I would say that Springsteen is the most consistently great live act of all time. I like Peter Gabriel as well and AC/DC has always been a strong live act even though i am not particulary fond of their music

Where's Lynyrd Skynyrd???? After all, this was the band that blew away both The Who and the Rolling Stones when they supported them. They certainly deserve to be there in front of Nirvana who were actually quite average whenever I saw them live. Nirvana weren't even up there with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden or Alice In Chains as a live act.

Can't argue with Zeppelin being the greatest. They quite obviously were. Oh and you don't have to actually 'be there' to judge. There is plenty of live recordings and footage on which to base an opinion.

The arguments about not physically seeing a band are a bit silly to be honest. Did you really have to 'be there' to conclude that, for example, the 1970 RAH gig was fecking awesome? Is it null and void to say that was a great live show because we 'weren't actually there'? :blink:

When I watch Elvis' '68 Comeback Special I can't still judge that it was damn good, er despite not actually 'being there' myself. :rolleyes:

The arguments about not physically seeing a band are a bit silly to be honest. Did you really have to 'be there' to conclude that, for example, the 1970 RAH gig was fecking awesome? Is it null and void to say that was a great live show because we 'weren't actually there'? :blink:

You underestimate the power of film.

Editing can enhance a live performance in many cases.

Just the use of film stock over video can add to the dramatic effect of a performance.

Where's Lynyrd Skynyrd???? After all, this was the band that blew away both The Who and the Rolling Stones when they supported them.

Ha Ha Ha Ha...........Lynyrd Skynyrd blew the The Who AND the Stones away ? HA HA HA HA....Now that really is Stupid..........Where did that happen, Dreamland ?......It's a free world..you can think what you like....But imo.. You're wrong.

i loved the beatles,but they said themselves they were an awful live act because of all the hysteria at their shows,especially in america.how can anybody put radiohead and oasis ahead of of neil young,jimi hendrix and rush?must have been tota idiots that put this list together.led zeppelin is by far and awa the greatest live band ever.

Rush should have been higher, IMO. at least in the top 6 or 7. They're one of the best live bands around.

To me, Rush wasn't that great of a live act. They just seemed to perform most of their songs in concert as much to the studio versions as possible. They didn't allow any of this to expand for originality and/or improvisation during their shows. That's part of the concert experience, otherwise it's a bore to me. Why bother!

To me, Rush wasn't that great of a live act. They just seemed to perform most of their songs in concert as much to the studio versions as possible. They didn't allow any of this to expand for originality and/or improvisation during their shows. That's part of the concert experience, otherwise it's a bore to me. Why bother!

True, but there was something about their show that really captured me and they put on a great concert. I still think Zeppelin's the best live act, though. No one has topped them and no one ever will.

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and am a BIG Zeppelin fan.

A radio station in a city nearby is having a "Kings of Classic Rock" weekend, where listeners can vote to see who the best classic rock band is.

Over the past month voting has been between different classic rock bands, but is now down to the two finalists....Led Zeppelin v.s. The Beatles.

Go here to cast your vote if you are a Zeppelin fan, and help them win!

http://www.k-rock975.com/poll.asp

Red Hot Chillie Peppers are great live. I wasn't really a fan of theirs but when I saw them live I was blown away. Likewise AC/DC-I'm not a fan but they really rocked.

Other than that I have been most impressed with the veterans such as the Who and the Stones to give epic performances.

My lifelong favorite has been the Grateful Dead but then they were never performers. They just got up and played music. They were more channelers than performers. You really had to be there. It was unbelievable to have 80,000 people singing and dancing and otherwise freaking out with the band and audience pushing each other further and further.

I can guess that as performers Led Zeppelin would have been the ultimate but I never had the chance to see them.

I would rather watch Live in Rio DVD than see them live

Ha Ha Ha Ha...........Lynyrd Skynyrd blew the The Who AND the Stones away ? HA HA HA HA....Now that really is Stupid..........Where did that happen, Dreamland ?......It's a free world..you can think what you like....But imo.. You're wrong.

lynyrd skynyrd opened up for the who in 1973 in the usa,and blew them away.i did'nt say that,pete townsend and roger daltrey did.they also opened up for the stones at knebworth in 1976,and the stones almost canceled their gig because skynyrd played so well,they did'nt think they could follow them.also jagger tried to sue skynyrd for saying they blew the stones off the stage.google it!you'll find it!

Shows how much YOU know about music.

Read the post above mine.

Lynyrd Skynyrd DID blow away both the Stones and the Who. It's a generally accepted opinion by consensus of those who were there. They supported both of them and left both bands reeling

Lynyrd Skynyrd in the 1970s were a fucking awesome live band.

• 1 month later...
I am not sure how people can say Led Zeppelin were the best live act of all time since the overwhelming majority who voted probably never seen Led Zeppelin live. Pink Floyd 4th bit ridiculous since the last two tours were merely cover band tours with an army of back up musicians.

I would say that Springsteen is the most consistently great live act of all time. I like Peter Gabriel as well and AC/DC has always been a strong live act even though i am not particulary fond of their music

I'd agree. I never got to see Led Zeppelin live, so I can't comment on their live shows. In saying that, I would have loved to have seen them at their peak, and have no doubt that they would have been unbelievably brilliant.

I have seen Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band a few times though, and can say first hand that they are the best live band I have actually seen.

Rush are also brilliant, but there gigs are very professional and polished, where as Bruce will ad lib and change the set list every night.

It's so True, Zepp, have done, the greatest live acts, that i've ever seen.

But I think that U2 diserves more than a seventh place.

Oh, i almost forgot, i'm new here, i'm glad to find people that love zeppelin the way i love it.

I'm from argentina, i'm 17 years old.

Welcome to the board! Glad to hear that 17 year olds appreciate GREAT music like Zepp.

I saw them live when I was 17 yrs. old in L.A. in 1977. That was the last time they played here.

Archived