why is robert not interested in a tour

c mac

These threads amaze me. Have these so called Zep fans who don't like Raising Sand heard Zep III and the rest of the acoustic based music with roots in bluegrass, folk, blues and country? It's one thing to be disappointed Robert chose not to partake in a Zep project after the O2 show. But to head out to the forums and concert grounds and hurl insults that make it appear like they are oblvious to LZ's roots, and sound, and is more than a little ironic. Not to mention it makes them appear to be ignorant.

Absolutely! That's again another reason they were so unique is that combination of many different styles they interpreted and added their own take on!

And this has to do with Robert not touring with Zep how?

:rolleyes:

It really is strange. Especially since those influences, the emulation of those influences and interpretation of American roots music isn't unique to LZ or RP\AK. All rock and roll is steeped in it and the classic rock era bands were some of the most obvious examples. From Humble Pie to Skynyrd to the Beatles and to whatever band you can think of had influences in American roots music. Appalling that some don't know their music history or that the awareness of that has been lost to modern day fans. In my day the more you knew and appreciated that the more you were "with it" amongst your fellow fans and musicologist types. If you didn't own at least one Folkways album along with the knowledge to discuss the music on it with passion you were out of touch. Someone needs to call Creed and tell them to get back together and put out another cd, it appears their fans are running amok. Considering all the remaining Zep guys are the musicologist type I sincerely hope they don't visit these forums. No doubt they would be appalled some of their fans are so ill equipped to understand their music, past and present.

I don't think it matters why; he just isn't, and that's that.

I wonder if there is any question on this forum that is more popular that this "Why..." :slapface:

Personally I do not care Why, I would be interested to see what he's up to anyway, if it's not, well, full and total retirement. And still, if he chooses "R" word, I would respect that. When else can we do? :lol:

I wonder if there is any question on this forum that is more popular that this "Why..." :slapface:

Personally I do not care Why, I would be interested to see what he's up to anyway, if it's not, well, full and total retirement. And still, if he chooses "R" word, I would respect that. When else can we do? :lol:

He's not even close to retirement--he's recording another album with Alison, to be followed by more gigs. Unless you mean Jimmy?

So this is my personal feeling, and in no way reflect on what is taking place, or anyone else's feeling. It is not a crime IMO to love Led Zeppelin, and not like raising sand. I respect Robert Plants decision not to want to tour again, not work on new material or whatever else was presented to him from a Zeppelin prospective. Does not mean I am happy about it, but I can most certainly respect it. Do I go to a Plant/Allison show and hurl insults because of it? That would be insane! I don't care for raising sand. Am I stuck in the past? No. Would you judge a great work of art from it's period alone? I am a Led Zeppelin fan. I don't need to move on, and don't need a so called fan of Zeppelin (who thinks it's is Zeppelins credo to move ever onward) to tell me that playing the band I love music (live today) would be dated or old news. Should all other things stop? Of course not, don't be silly. I do not believe that is why Robert has chosen a different path, and I am well within my rights to feel this way. I don't care for comparisons of life after Zeppelin. I don't want one. Far as I am concerned, there is no such thing. For me the music lives on forever, onward.

The crazy thing is Raising Sand is very Zeppelin-esque, every thing from the bombastic drumming, the ethereal guitar work, the roosty sound with a rock edge. All of that is right out of the LZ playbook. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Jimmy Page had been a part of Raising Sand people would be shitting all over themselves, calling it a return to form.

The real point of contention for many fans is Robert's decision to not particpate in Led Zep redux after the O2, that show raised the expectation that there could be hope for a long term reunion. If there was no O2 show more people would be embracing the Raising Sand project. I can't ever remember a post LZ RP album met with such derision.

The crazy thing is Raising Sand is very Zeppelin-esque, every thing from the bombastic drumming, the ethereal guitar work, the roosty sound with a rock edge. All of that is right out of the LZ playbook. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Jimmy Page had been a part of Raising Sand people would be shitting all over themselves, calling it a return to form.

The real point of contention for many fans is Robert's decision to not particpate in Led Zep redux after the O2, that show raised the expectation that there could be hope for a long term reunion. If there was no O2 show more people would be embracing the Raising Sand project. I can't ever remember a post LZ RP album met with such derision.

While I understand your reasoning, it's simply not true. They are not alike on any level, especially the ones you pointed out such as drumming and guitar work, and I think JPJ said it best when explaining the likings of both types of music. Raising Sand was a big hit before the 02 and there is no derision. Either you like it, or you don't.

Raising Sand was a big hit before the 02 and there is no derision. Either you like it, or you don't.

Yes, it was a big hit then - but I can't agree re the rest of what you say. People have expressly said here that they will boycott him and hate his stuff because he won't take Zeppelin beyond the 02. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the consequences of the 02 turned many people off his work with Alsion *oops! Alison* ( whilst obviously attracting a new audience also).

Yes, it was a big hit then - but I can't agree re the rest of what you say. People have expressly said here that they will boycott him and hate his stuff because he won't take Zeppelin beyond the 02. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the consequences of the 02 turned many people off his work with Alsion ( whilst obviously attracting a new audience also).

OK I understand that, and it's true to an extent. But how many? A very few. We tend to blow things out of proportion. I am sure someone would boycott the project because they don't like facial hair. Either way you look at it, it in no way effected raising sands success.

I can't agree with that.

This is Led Zeppelin's official site. All the people slagging off RS , the"Yoko Krauss" stuff, the people who repeatedly post the LIE that JP and JPJ spent the last year "waiting" for Robert - it all had an effect.

Even losing 20 sales is losing sales.

OK I understand that, and it's true to an extent. But how many? A very few. We tend to blow things out of proportion. I am sure someone would boycott the project because they don't like facial hair. Either way you look at it, it in no way effected raising sands success.

Beyond affecting the success sales wise, what I don't understand is not that someone may not like the album, but the level of venom and hatred spewed towards Robert and Alison because he's chosen a path that isn't to their liking. And then to further decide, well I'm mad at Robert so I won't buy their next album is ridiculous. People make the claim well artists are there for the fans but first and foremost, they have to create something which they feel proud of or what's the point. For someone like Robert to keep exploring new ground and find interesting musicians to work with and not rest on his laurels, well I can't think of a much better gift than that.

I can't agree with that.

This is Led Zeppelin's official site. All the people slagging off RS , the"Yoko Krauss" stuff, the people who repeatedly post the LIE that JP and JPJ spent the last year "waiting" for Robert - it all had an effect.

Even losing 20 sales is losing sales.

I think this is worth remembering... This is NOT a RP/AK official site. It really shouldn't be expected that all Zep fans appreciate the sort of music found on Raising Sand, or to be supportive of Robert's current career just because he was the former Zep singer.

Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I wish the former Zep members the best in whatever they decide to do with their future. It would be somewhat interesting to hear some new material from the guys, but I'm not exactly gonna die if they don't do it. They've given us enough over the years to keep me happy... though I would like to see an official O2 DVD at some point in the future. B)

I think this is worth remembering... This is NOT a RP/AK official site. It really shouldn't be expected that all Zep fans appreciate the sort of music found on Raising Sand, or to be supportive of Robert's current career just because he was the former Zep singer.

Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I wish the former Zep members the best in whatever they decide to do with their future. It would be somewhat interesting to hear some new material from the guys, but I'm not exactly gonna die if they don't do it. They've given us enough over the years to keep me happy... though I would like to see an official O2 DVD at some point in the future. B)

It's not a matter of appreciating Raising Sand that's an issue but the level of disrespect some people here have for Robert and Alison. Saying it's not my thing is benign. Calling her Yoko Krauss, saying Robert is selfish, I'm not buying the next record out of protest etc. - what's the purpose of that here? You don't have to gush over it but nastiness I think there is no reason for. Just my two pence.

For me, I can accept people say they don't like the RP/AK project, that Raising Sand is not their cup of tea. They are not forced to support Robert's solo carrer or to buy any of his albums.

But what I expect from the forum users is that they can show their respect at least. I'm so tired of all those bashing on this board. Did those people still remember Robert Plant was the Zep singer and one of the reasons why we are on this site?

And something else amuses me is that some people whine about Robert "having no more rock n'roll in him" because of Raising Sand but still want him to sing for them.

Not to mention the people who never did think he was any good anyway, by far the weakest link in Zeppelin, would have been nothing without Jimmy, etc etc.--yet they're still madder'n a wet hen because he doesn't want to be part of the new project. :rolleyes: Makes me wonder how much of a Zeppelin fan you can be if you can pour such scorn on one of its members' abilities.

Not to mention the people who never did think he was any good anyway, by far the weakest link in Zeppelin, would have been nothing without Jimmy, etc etc.--yet they're still madder'n a wet hen because he doesn't want to be part of the new project. :rolleyes: Makes me wonder how much of a Zeppelin fan you can be if you can pour such scorn on one of its members' abilities.

We are all fans for different reasons. Personally, I was always more of a fan of the music more so than Robert's singing ability. That's just me though. It doesn't mean I think that Robert is a bad singer (far from it!), or that he deserves some of the stiff criticism he gets for his abilities or his career choices. But again, I will say that it's hardly surprising to see small amounts of that criticism here on a Led Zeppelin forum. I would also point out that it's all I've seen... small amounts. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong posts, but it seems to me that most people on here are very supportive of Robert's decision to continue with the AK projects.

To be fair there has also been tons of threads stating that Robert is the only relevant member of Led Zeppelin also. Since he is the only one who is working outside the frame of Zeppelin and is not trying to relive his past. I feel these types of replies and threads are just as annoying as a Plant basher. It's the internet, you can't curtail what you feel is disrespectful. Unless you want to go the highbob route as mrZ calls it highbob hysteria, and lose all sense of reality. Which to be honest seems like some of you would welcome. I for one don't.

We are all fans for different reasons. Personally, I was always more of a fan of the music more so than Robert's singing ability. That's just me though. It doesn't mean I think that Robert is a bad singer (far from it!), or that he deserves some of the stiff criticism he gets for his abilities or his career choices. But again, I will say that it's hardly surprising to see small amounts of that criticism here on a Led Zeppelin forum. I would also point out that it's all I've seen... small amounts. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong posts, but it seems to me that most people on here are very supportive of Robert's decision to continue with the AK projects.

As I said before, I don't mind criticism. People doesn't necessarily like everything the musicians do. I like a lot of things Robert has done, some not. That's just natural.

But somethings said about him and Alison Krauss here in the forum is faaaaaaar beyond criticism. I'd say you're lucky if you have never seen them.

Archived