Yet Another one....

mightyzep247

Reflects poorly on me? What, like quoting a man who married his adopted daughter at the bottom of your posts might reflect poorly on you?

You're just jealous because his marriage has probably lasted longer than yours.

ZING!! :lol:

I hear Woody Allen and his wife were starring in a new comedy movie to be released soon.

"Honey, I Fucked The Kids".

Oh my....I had NEVER heard THAT one before...yes, you really ZINGED me good!

I don't know how I ever shall go on living...oh wait: the sun is out and it's 72 degrees

outside and Horace Silver is playing on the stereo and I've got a date to see the new

Clint Eastwood movie tonight. Yeah, I think I might survive after all.

Sorry but I'm not giving in on this one. If Reggie had just said he had never heard

of the Jam/Paul Weller I would have left it at that...as I did with the others who

posted they had no clue who the Jam were. Notice I didn't call out any of the others.

But Reggie prefaced his post with all that "I'm 37 and I've been watching MTV and

I got my first record at 10 blah blah blah". If you're going to present yourself as

some kind of music fan/geek and then proclaim yourself unaware of the Jam, then

I'm going to call you on your bullshit.

Because there is no way that any halfway serious music fan goes through the 80's without knowing about Paul Weller and the Jam!

If you had said that you didn't know the Soft Machine, Ultimate Spinach, Throbbing

Gristle or Low...well, I could believe that, as those bands not only didn't make much

of a dent on the sales chart, they weren't high-profile in the music media/popular

culture either.

But you're 37 and you claim to never heard the Jam?!?

A band that took its cue from the Who and headed the new Mod scene?

A band that was in the charts in the UK and Paul Weller an icon to your generation.

Hell, I don't think a week went by where Paul and the Jam weren't featured in the NME,

Melody Maker and other music mags from the late-70's to the early-80's.

For about 4 or 5 years straight, Paul Weller won best hair in the annual Creem

readers poll.

They got as much press coverage as the Clash and U2.

And anybody who was into music in the 70' and 80's was reading Creem, NME,

Melody Maker or Trouser Press, if not all of them.

Now if you'll excuse me, Roman Polanski and I have to go watch cheerleading

practice.

Re-read my original post in this thread. I'm not saying that The Jam were bigger than Led Zeppelin worldwide. Of course Led Zeppelin are the bigger band. In my original post I merely explained that The Jam were a big act here and Paul Weller still is. My second post explains that just because many of you elsewhere aren't very or even at all aware of Weller and The Jam, it doesn't mean that they aren't popular here. Whilst in the USA Elvis Costello might well be a bigger name than Weller, in the UK the latter has a much bigger support base. So there we have it, Paul Weller & The Jam - big in the UK. Not so elsewhere.

Bang on.

I hate Weller, The Jam, and even the Style Council, but they were massive at one point in the UK. And undeniably influential. Added with the fact that Weller is pretty big as a solo artist, being the inspiration for such Britpop and Indie bands like Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Supergrass, Kaiser Chiefs, etc - he ain't called 'The Modfather' for nothing. The Jam, along with others, revived the Mod scene in the late 1970's/early 1980's, and under said revival, as well as Mod's origins, the genres included were Ska, Beat, Soul, Punk, New Wave, et all. At that time radio, record sales, and music T.V, were dominated by those kind of genres in the UK at least. As irritating as I find them, if it weren't for bands like the Jam, no Mod revival would exist. And without said revival, bands like Small Faces, the Kinks, the Who (not that they actually needed it) wouldn't have been hit with a second wave of commercial success. Films like Quadrophenia wouldn't have been done. In addition, bands like the Pretenders, Madness, the Specials wouldn't have been as big as they were.

Paul Weller and the Jam may never be as big as Led Zeppelin, in terms of global names, but that's not to say they weren't as influential. Perhaps maybe more so.

This is an interview with Paul Weller 3 years ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20060109_weller.shtml

The Jam won't reform

Weller would rather make tea at 6 Music

09 Jan 06 - Paul Weller says he'd rather make tea at 6 Music than reform the Jam.

Brit organisers today revealed that Weller, who'll receive a lifetime achievement honour at the Brit Awards next month, will close the show with his very first live set for the ceremony.

The 47-year-old had four number one hit singles with The Jam, including Going Underground and Town Called Malice, and six multi-platinum albums.

But speaking to 6 Music today he was unequivocal about the chances of the band getting back together:

Paul Weller "Let me just nip that in the bud right now. That will never, ever happen.

"Me and my children would have to be destitute and starving in the gutter before I'd even consider that, and I don't think that'll happen anyway - I'd go and get a job working on a van or the builders ... Or come and work for 6 Music - y'know, making the tea."

When asked why he was so vehemently against the idea he explained:

"I'm against all bands reforming, I think it's really sad."

"I think you do these things and you create these statements and music at a certain time and they stand for how you feel at that time and that's where they end.

"I think it's a great thing that the Jam's music has endured over the years and people still love it and still play it. It still means something to people and a lot of that's because we stopped at the right time, it didn't go on and become embarrassing."

Julie Cullen

Well now that many have witnessed and exposed Paul Weller's influence and accomplishments,

Does anyone still care that he doesn't want a LZ reunion ? :lol: Or anyone else for that matter ?

I'll always love his work with The Jam, but still couldn't care less about his opinion of reunions. Great Paul Weller thread though. :)

The funniset thing about these types of threads is some people's belief that unless an artist has sold as many albums or made as much money as Zep that that is the basis for that artist's opinion not mattering. Not that opinions matter. For many Zep fans there is a double standard, regarding Zep their massive success is proof of their greatness. But for all others it means nothing. If Garth Brooks comes out and says he's against the any future Zep project should we take it as truth, his numbers are on par with Zep's so surely that validates his opinion :rolleyes:. What if Zep wasn't as popular as they are, then would it matter what guys like Weller say. The answer is no, opinions never matter and they never is a reason to get excited about something someone else says concerning what they think about any band. But this idea that Zep's massive popularity is proof of anything is a slippery slope. Using that as a means of placing value on musicians means Britney Spears and her massive success makes her more important than a band like Free or Velvet Underground and nobody with a brain should think that.

Hi all,

The funniset thing about these types of threads is some people's belief that unless an artist has sold as many albums or made as much money as Zep that that is the basis for that artist's opinion not mattering. Not that opinions matter. For many Zep fans there is a double standard, regarding Zep their massive success is proof of their greatness. But for all others it means nothing. If Garth Brooks comes out and says he's against the any future Zep project should we take it as truth, his numbers are on par with Zep's so surely that validates his opinion :rolleyes: . What if Zep wasn't as popular as they are, then would it matter what guys like Weller say. The answer is no, opinions never matter and they never is a reason to get excited about something someone else says concerning what they think about any band. But this idea that Zep's massive popularity is proof of anything is a slippery slope. Using that as a means of placing value on musicians means Britney Spears and her massive success makes her more important than a band like Free or Velvet Underground and nobody with a brain should think that.

danelectro! Yes,as always your reasoning is sound.No pun intended. :)

Let me put this way:For anyone to comment about what anyone would do,is IMHO more bitter than is needed.Agreed?There is no need of this.At all,it's ego.Period.

Weller,Jack Bruce and the lot should do what makes them happy,making music,etc?No? :slapface:

I for one,do not give a noodle,if Led Zeppelin gets back together,what is the point?You are the greatest band,again IMHO,and still are.O2 proved that.

Britney? :blink: If 40 years down the road,someone is still listening to that,then we can talk,.....

KB

Paul Weller and the Jam may never be as big as Led Zeppelin, in terms of global names, but that's not to say they weren't as influential. Perhaps maybe more so.

I'm sorry but that's just plain nonsense. Even today there is a healthy percentage of musicians and bands still influenced by Led Zeppelin. The Jam and Paul Weller aren't even in the same bullpark.

Im assuming most of you who have posted are not Paul Weller fans or have really kept up with his career if you were.

To put in his comments in context to how he feels about bands 'reforming' he's never been into it, less so even now. His former bandmates in the Jam (Bruce Foxton & Rick Butler) have 'reunited' & are touring without Weller in a 'new' band called, get this, "From The Jam". How do you think Weller would feel when his former bandmates are touring & performing material mainly written by him, trading in on the band name, & he was never particularly friendly with them to begin with , claiming it was a 'new band'? Sound somewhat familar? I bet in 94' JPJ could somewhat relate.

Regardless, Weller didnt put the former members of Zep down in anyway. He's one of the few musicians who came after the 60's bands he admired who can stand rightfully next to his heroes in the Who, Kinks, Small Faces, & Traffic. All you have to do is listen to "Ghosts", "Liza Radley, "Bitterest Pill", or "Away From The Numbers" to realize that.

By the way, Im American & I'd bet if Bob Seger had made the same exact comments that Weller had been quoted with every American who posted in this thread against Weller would have defended Seger to no end because they probably got their first handjob while listening to "Night Moves" in a Burger King parking lot. I dont think that translates in Dear Ol' Blighty.

I'm sorry but that's just plain nonsense. Even today there is a healthy percentage of musicians and bands still influenced by Led Zeppelin. The Jam and Paul Weller aren't even in the same bullpark.

Never said it was fact. I'm just going by the amount of bands that were churned out during the whole Mod-revival, which included a lot of sub-genres, as I mentioned. I'm only going by their influence back then, mind you.

You're just jealous because his marriage has probably lasted longer than yours.

Er, I'm single. But should I marry I'm confident that I can have a long and happy marriage with a girl outside the family.

Sorry but I'm not giving in on this one. If Reggie had just said he had never heard

of the Jam/Paul Weller I would have left it at that...as I did with the others who

posted they had no clue who the Jam were. Notice I didn't call out any of the others.

But Reggie prefaced his post with all that "I'm 37 and I've been watching MTV and

I got my first record at 10 blah blah blah". If you're going to present yourself as

some kind of music fan/geek and then proclaim yourself unaware of the Jam, then

I'm going to call you on your bullshit.

I have listened to a great deal of album oriented rock as well as a variety of other genres for many years and have simply not heard of him. In the immortal words of Steve Martin "Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!". It just struck me as odd that the media would publicize a quote of a relatively obscure artist slamming world reknowned artists like Jimmy, John, and Jason for indicating they might tour as LED ZEPPELIN (which they aren't doing), as if he were fit to pass judgement on them.

For about 4 or 5 years straight, Paul Weller won best hair in the annual Creem

readers poll.

Dude, I don't keep up with hair contests.

Well the thing is that Paul Weller is not obscure. As Zeppelin fans we know who Fairport Convention is via Sandy Denny or an artist like Roy Harper & they're not that obscure, even in America. The Jam were/are just a might more popular than Fairport Convention & Roy Harper combined.

Paul Welller did 4 sellout shows at Roseland in NYC a few years ago & could have easily added another three. A few years ago Paul McCartney & Noel Gallagher recorded a charity single of "Come Together" with Paul Weller & I think that shows the place his artistry is admired for: to play with one of his idols as an equal & to inspire another artist like his hero before him.

Never said it was fact. I'm just going by the amount of bands that were churned out during the whole Mod-revival, which included a lot of sub-genres, as I mentioned. I'm only going by their influence back then, mind you.

Ok fair enough. Thought you meant it as current as well.

Only recently I heard the likes of Katie Melua and Gabriella Cilmi (believe it or not) saying how much they love Led Zep and count them as big influence.....and they aren't even rock.

• 1 year later...

poster2002.gif

Look at Saturday 9th. Jimmy Page joined Paul Weller and his band for a rendition of "Dazed and Confused" complete with violin bow solo. B)

Robert Plant has also been on stage with Paul Weller:

SF_Jam4.jpg

Archived