What's the best 1977 audience recording (other than Millard's)?

Sick Again

Hi! The Mike Millard LA Forum recordings are spectacular, but, other than these, what are the best sound quality audience recordings from the 1977 tour? Please note, I am not talking about soundboard recordings, but audience recordings. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

--Sick Again

Right. I forgot about the San Diego show. I should have asked what are the best audience recordings from the 1977 tour OTHER than the recordings done by Millard. Any help you can give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

The Millard recording from San Diego. :)

Indeed, while maybe not the clearest it captures the shear volume of the performance very well.

Yes, you can almost feel being there, kicked in the guts by Bonzo's bass drum, instead of all those lousy 1977 soundboards.

:lol:

I haven't listened to a 77 soundboard in years (i had them all on tape) are they as thin as I remember? I'm going to get myself one as soon as I'm done with a few other bits.

FWIW I had Destroyer, which I think was Seattle. It sounded really thin to me and the performance really shaky. Bootleg hunting was such good fun back then. They were really expensive though...The cool record shop in town used to pirate the bootlegs. They would put the show date, set list, source and quality on a piece of cardboard the size of a record and then you would take that to the counter and give them $10, and two blank tapes and they would copy it for you. That place was great. Long gone now...

I haven't listened to a 77 soundboard in years (i had them all on tape) are they as thin as I remember? I'm going to get myself one as soon as I'm done with a few other bits.

FWIW I had Destroyer, which I think was Seattle. It sounded really thin to me and the performance really shaky. Bootleg hunting was such good fun back then. They were really expensive though...The cool record shop in town used to pirate the bootlegs. They would put the show date, set list, source and quality on a piece of cardboard the size of a record and then you would take that to the counter and give them $10, and two blank tapes and they would copy it for you. That place was great. Long gone now...

Destroyer is Cleveland, but not the above mentioned date. It's actually 4/27/77 and a soundboard.

Destroyer is Cleveland, but not the above mentioned date. It's actually 4/27/77 and a soundboard.

So was it as thin as I recall? My listening setup wasn't all that great back then...

So was it as thin as I recall? My listening setup wasn't all that great back then...

Of the earliest generations of soundboards to appear, it was more tinny-sounding (a lot of high end on the cymbals on Bonzo's kit) yet still had enough low end to make things rattle if turned up to higher volumes. It was the first boot I ever bought on CD, and it still sounds good. But many better sounding board tapes have emerged since.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack the audience recording thread.

Destroyer is actually quite heavy on the bass fequences(although it is quite dry), perhaps your thinking of the Seattle video soundtrack that is very thin sounding?

My favourite SB from 77 is actually the fragment from MSG(great version of NQ), other than that I agree none of them from that year are really essential.

Outlaws....not criminals !

So the Richfield Coliseum I went to in '88 to see ACDC isn't the same one that Zep played in ?

Dang ! I always thought I was in a historic venue !

You did see ACDC at the same venue, Led Zeppelin preformed in 1977.

Richfield Coliseum was not torn down until 1999.

A new arena (Gund Arena, now known as Quicken Loans Arena) has since been built in downtown Cleveland.

• 2 weeks later...

Many boots were named "Destroyer" over the years. The true "first" one was the 28 April 77 audience recording from Cleveland. I bought it on vinyl in 1979. An absolute must-have from the 77 tour--definitely one of the best. The Seattle "Destroyer" you had was actually the 27 April Cleveland soundboard, and you're right--it's not very good. Very thin sounding and the performance is lackluster. This one also was released as Destroyer and credited to the Cleveland show. I have an LP box set called Destroyer III which is one of the Landover shows (the 28th or 30th of May, can't remember which)./...

Nice! Was it a show with a downer vibe, given the whole thing with Grant et al. I love the pics. from the show, Page looked great.

I didn't really sense any "downer' vibe, but they did look and sound a little tired at times. All in all, no complaints.

• 9 months later...
New York 11-6-77 is great and so is Landover 30-5-77, two great shows as well.

Along with the aforementioned April 28 show, June 11 -up to halfway through "Kashmir" at least- and May 30th ARE the best sounding non Millard '77 recordings. The "Sea Of Screams" Seattle audience source isn't too shabby, either, but not even Mike The Mike's prowess could have made that show sound good performance-wise! The "Out Of The Way" Birmingham recording isn't bad, either, also the Fort Worth and the Cincinatti shows. That's about it...at the other end of the spectrum, Atlanta and the Chicago shows sound fucking dreadful! Which is too bad, 'cos they're actually pretty good performances IMO.

As an aside, and maybe it's a rhetorical question, but when the hell are the boot labels gonna pull a soundboard of a DECENT '77 show outta the hat??? I may be overly critical here, but not one of the five we've got IMO are worth a second listen. I would not be surprised if EV have the remaining two Landover soundboards stashed away, and, if so, cough 'em up, 'cos they're the best of the lot!

Along with the aforementioned April 28 show, June 11 -up to halfway through "Kashmir" at least- and May 30th ARE the best sounding non Millard '77 recordings. The "Sea Of Screams" Seattle audience source isn't too shabby, either, but not even Mike The Mike's prowess could have made that show sound good performance-wise! The "Out Of The Way" Birmingham recording isn't bad, either, also the Fort Worth and the Cincinatti shows. That's about it...at the other end of the spectrum, Atlanta and the Chicago shows sound fucking dreadful! Which is too bad, 'cos they're actually pretty good performances IMO.

As an aside, and maybe it's a rhetorical question, but when the hell are the boot labels gonna pull a soundboard of a DECENT '77 show outta the hat??? I may be overly critical here, but not one of the five we've got IMO are worth a second listen. I would not be surprised if EV have the remaining two Landover soundboards stashed away, and, if so, cough 'em up, 'cos they're the best of the lot!

I'd guess its pushing it a bit too talk about this too much but I always got the sense that there wasnt a massive stash of 77 SB's in the bootleggers hands(or I'd guess more likey someone selling to them) like 73, 75 and 80.

I'd guess its pushing it a bit too talk about this too much but I always got the sense that there wasnt a massive stash of 77 SB's in the bootleggers hands(or I'd guess more likey someone selling to them) like 73, 75 and 80.

Shit...I've no idea, really, just guessing. Not that logic and bootleg companies are in any way synonymous or anything, but there is a least a little bit of logic in the fact that there were four Landover shows and soundboards have appeared for two of them. Stands to reason that Empress Valley, who put 'em out originally, has the 25 and 30 May SBD's. Just sayin'...

Archived