RIP Nelson Mandela

reswati

The RIP thread may be in progress, but this guy deserves a special mention, and not a billion bucks and ignore lists in the world may change that.

Some people deserve special mention. There is a world of difference between Nelson Mandela and someone like Paul Walker.

100% true! Here's a guy who spent 27 years in prison, was beaten and tortured, and had every right to be bitter and angry. But when he was elected president, he worked towards hearing his beloved country. There are precious few world leaders like him.

(Anyone else getting a little tired of Steve micro-managing this site?)

100% true! Here's a guy who spent 27 years in prison, was beaten and tortured, and had every right to be bitter and angry. But when he was elected president, he worked towards hearing his beloved country. There are precious few world leaders like him.

(Anyone else getting a little tired of Steve micro-managing this site?)

:yesnod:

Nelson Mandela was not sent to prison because he was a Black activist living under the White Apartheid government in South Africa, he was imprisoned for 156 acts of terrorism and public violence. He was NOT a political prisoner. He was a common terrorist, trying to overthrow a government on behalf of his communist associates in Cuba and the USSR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PDX3-Qkx6Y

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just playing to the crowd by turning an arguably unneccessary thread into a useful if not interesting one. I'm convinced most people can't name three countries in South Africa, let alone know anything about Nelson Mandela's "struggle" aside from the name recognition.

Nelson Mandela was not sent to prison because he was a Black activist living under the White Apartheid government in South Africa, he was imprisoned for 156 acts of terrorism and public violence. He was NOT a political prisoner. He was a common terrorist, trying to overthrow a government on behalf of his communist associates in Cuba and the USSR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PDX3-Qkx6Y

On the other hand, perhaps I'm just playing to the crowd by turning an arguably unneccessary thread into a useful if not interesting one. I'm convinced most people can't name three countries in South Africa, let alone know anything about Nelson Mandela's "struggle" aside from the name recognition.

1) South Africa

2) Lesotho

3) Botswana

4) Namibia

5) Zimbabwe

6) Zambia

7) Mozambique

Political leaders of Nelson Mandela's caliber are rare. His death, while not unexpected, is a great loss to South Africa and the world at large. RIP.

Thank you SAJ for pointing out what the many multitudes willingly ignore in the quest to build a hero at all costs.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

Thank you SAJ for pointing out what the many multitudes willingly ignore in the quest to build a hero at all costs.

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

IMO, armed resistance against an oppressive regime can be heroic. Example 1: Count Stauffenberg in Nazi Germany. Example 2: The Russian soldiers who sided with rioting (and starving) citizens in February 1917.

Agreed...Paul Walker was never a Communist on the United States terrorist watch list.

That's hilarious. No wonder you love Singapore so much. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Where were you when England was trying to hold on to the Colonies? You would have been a great help to the Red Coats.

Of course the ruling establishment was going to label Mandela a terrorist...they were losing the world's sympathy. Well, except for the U.S. and the corporate lapdogs. How many of those 156 charges of terrorism and public violence were trumped up by the authorities?

Given that South Africa is its own country of one, one cannot name three countries within the Republic of South Africa. But I can name three provinces of South Africa: Western Cape, Northern Cape, Eastern Cape...and I'll throw in Free State as a bonus province.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

T-shirt slogan logic that doesn't withstand the slightest scrutiny.

A true freedom fighter seeks to MINIMIZE civilian casualties. A terrorist seeks to MAXIMIZE civilian casualties. That is the difference, anytime, anywhere.

YES :thumbsup:

The moderators must have died and left him in charge of the site.

Unfortunately, the Comic Book Guy is a legend in his own mind and once again comes on condescending and ilinformed. Mandela was trying to get his country back from the Boers(Dutch), which introduced apartheid. A regime which any rational person would abhor and the hypocrites had the gall to charge him with treason!?

Surely he doesn't condone what happened to Native and African Americans, because at one time it was an ugly situation and it was no different here or in other colonies and regimes in recent history. Power to Nelson Mandela, he was and still is an inspiration.

Archived