Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

So;I'm"A joke" now?

Fuck you.

I think Elvis is a joke.

Thanks for sticking up for the Stones. He obviously doesnt like them and I cant fucking stand Elvis. Elvis sucks as a musician in my book. He was a great entertainer, and of course had the look that made him popular. But he couldnt play his way out of a paper bag on guitar. I dont think I ever heard anyone ever say he could actually play. Oh-Im sure he knew a few of the main chords and all, But I doubt he know any lead scales or anything more complicated than conventional chords. Of course I hate Garth Brooks too. To each his own.

Thanks for sticking up for the Stones. He obviously doesnt like them and I cant fucking stand Elvis. Elvis sucks as a musician in my book. He was a great entertainer, and of course had the look that made him popular. But he couldnt play his way out of a paper bag on guitar. I dont think I ever heard anyone ever say he could actually play. Oh-Im sure he knew a few of the main chords and all, But I doubt he know any lead scales or anything more complicated than conventional chords. Of course I hate Garth Brooks too. To each his own.

Why the emphasis on Elvis' suppposed inability to play the guitar (which is completely false, by the way). As I mentioned earlier Mick also picked up a guitar along the way and I'm sure he's no Keef in that dept (same for Plant, who has been known to strum a chord or three). So should we come down on Mick for his lack of playing ability? Does it make him any less of a musician? I think not. Like him or not, Elvis Presley had a very profound effect on music in general and rock n' roll specifically. As I also previously mentioned, I very seriously doubt the Stones, Zep, the Who, the Kinks and many other artists would have ever been moved to take up music if it weren't for Elvis. There's also tons of artists out there that didn't write their own songs, does that make make them any less of a musician?

Why the emphasis on Elvis' suppposed inability to play the guitar (which is completely false, by the way). As I mentioned earlier Mick also picked up a guitar along the way and I'm sure he's no Keef in that dept (same for Plant, who has been known to strum a chord or three). So should we come down on Mick for his lack of playing ability? Does it make him any less of a musician? I think not. Like him or not, Elvis Presley had a very profound effect on music in general and rock n' roll specifically. As I also previously mentioned, I very seriously doubt the Stones, Zep, the Who, the Kinks and many other artists would have ever been moved to take up music if it weren't for Elvis. There's also tons of artists out there that didn't write their own songs, does that make make them any less of a musician?

I guess it depends on your definition of what a musician is. If you consider someone that can sing but has no musical knowledge of playiing an instrument, readinig or writing music, or understanding theory a musician thats fine by me. But if you are just going to play air guitar like Elvis did, just held it and didnt really play most of the time, then NO I dont consider him a musician as far as a player. Singing and playing an instrument are two differant things. It takes alot more knowledge musically to do what Page does for example as compared to what Plant does.

I guess it depends on your definition of what a musician is. If you consider someone that can sing but has no musical knowledge of playiing an instrument, readinig or writing music, or understanding theory a musician thats fine by me. But if you are just going to play air guitar like Elvis did, just held it and didnt really play most of the time, then NO I dont consider him a musician as far as a player. Singing and playing an instrument are two differant things. It takes alot more knowledge musically to do what Page does for example as compared to what Plant does.

Nothing personal....

but I consider that non-sense.

Your misperception that Elvis is less of a musician because you believe he couldn't play guitar is totally ill concieved. I've seen lots of lead singers (including Mick) pick up guitars over the years but they might not be up to the level of the lead guitarists in their respective bands. By your way of thinking that somehow makes them less of a musician, or perhaps not a musician at all. Quite frankly, that's a load of bullshit.

Edited by Jahfin

I think Elvis is a joke.

How unKeith-like..

"In the one-hour exclusive, SIRIUS subscribers will experience a rare trip into the mind of Keith Richards as he shares stories on a variety of topics including his three day road trip with John Lennon through England, his first encounter with Muddy Waters at Chess studios, his infamous meeting with Peter Tosh, meeting Chuck Berry, and the life-changing experience of hearing Elvis Presley for the first time on Radio Luxembourg."

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...119122007-1.htm

How unKeith-like..

"In the one-hour exclusive, SIRIUS subscribers will experience a rare trip into the mind of Keith Richards as he shares stories on a variety of topics including his three day road trip with John Lennon through England, his first encounter with Muddy Waters at Chess studios, his infamous meeting with Peter Tosh, meeting Chuck Berry, and the life-changing experience of hearing Elvis Presley for the first time on Radio Luxembourg."

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...119122007-1.htm

Elvis influenced, in one way or another, most of those British rockers, including the Beatles. The rockers all grew up listening to Elvis. There is a John Lennon quote, that I can't find at the moment, in which John says something like, "Before Elvis there was nothing." As with Zep, the Beatles manager arranged for them to meet with Elvis when they were in the U.S.

Elvis influenced, in one way or another, most of those British rockers, including the Beatles. The rockers all grew up listening to Elvis. There is a John Lennon quote, that I can't find at the moment, in which John says something like, "Before Elvis there was nothing." As with Zep, the Beatles manager arranged for them to meet with Elvis when they were in the U.S.

Elvis is what influenced Lennon to get into music. It's on The Beatles Anthology DVD's. Those DVD's also mention the Beatles visit to see Elvis in 1965 during their US tour and that they were unimpressed with him at that point of his career... or something along those lines. Elvis did try to ban the Beatles from the US at one point.

But anyway, I like early Elvis the best. He's got some great tunes and they are early rock and roll songs.

Edited by achilleslaststand77

Since we're talking pre-Stones influence here...it's relevant, we need to pay tribute to...

506539_150x100.jpg

We can disagree all we want about musical influence but there's no denying there'd be no ROLLING STONES without Mr. Rolling Stone himself....Muddy Waters...

mw_jam.gif

Well, I wish I was a catfish,

swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea

I would have all you good lookin women,

fishin, fishin after me

Sure 'nough, a-after me

Sure 'nough, a-after me

Oh 'nough, oh 'nough, sure 'nough

I went to my baby's house,

and I sit down oh, on her steps.

She said, "Now, come on in now, Muddy

You know, my husband just now left

Sure 'nough, he just now left

Sure 'nough, he just now left"

Sure 'nough, oh well, oh well

Well, my mother told my father,

just before hmmm, I was born,

"I got a boy child's comin,

He's gonna be, he's gonna be a rollin stone,

Sure 'nough, he's a rollin stone

Sure 'nough, he's a rollin stone

Oh well he's a, oh well he's a, oh well he's a

Well, I feel, yes I feel,

feel that a low down time ain't long

I'm gonna catch the first thing smokin,

back, back down the road I'm goin

Back down the road I'm goin

Back down the road I'm goin

Sure 'nough back, sure 'nough back

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and The Stones all owe there early influence to the American blues. On all of the early albums from all three of these bands there are covers of American Blues artist. Not to mention how much Elvis had an impression on these english lads.

Settle down and let music evolve as you enjoy retracing the roots of Rock and Roll

Long Live Rock!

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and The Stones all owe there early influence to the American blues. On all of the early albums from all three of these bands there are covers of American Blues artist. Not to mention how much Elvis had an impression on these english lads.

Settle down and let music evolve as you enjoy retracing the roots of Rock and Roll

Long Live Rock!

Yes your right and the american blues has to thank Africa !! :D

Elvis is what influenced Lennon to get into music. It's on The Beatles Anthology DVD's. Those DVD's also mention the Beatles visit to see Elvis in 1965 during their US tour and that they were unimpressed with him at that point of his career... or something along those lines. Elvis did try to ban the Beatles from the US at one point.

But anyway, I like early Elvis the best. He's got some great tunes and they are early rock and roll songs.

Thanks for the reference.

Since we're talking pre-Stones influence here...it's relevant, we need to pay tribute to...

We can disagree all we want about musical influence but there's no denying there'd be no ROLLING STONES without Mr. Rolling Stone himself....Muddy Waters...

[...]

Long Live Rock!

Amen.

From an excellent bio of Muddy Waters, one of my favorite Keith Richards quotes:

"There's a demon in me. I think there's a demon in everyone, a dark piece in us all. And the blues is a recognition of that and the ability to express it and make fun out of it, have joy out of that dark stuff." —Keith Richards, foreword to Can't Be Satisfied: The Life & Times of Muddy Waters by Robert Gordon, 2002

Good choice!

Let It Bleed is a masterpiece of an album.

Totally!!! :) Let It Bleed is the first Stones album I ever listened to. My Dad had a vinyl and gave it to me when I was 14. Loved the Stones ever since.

Hmmm think I'm gonna listen to Midnight Rambler now... B)

I think the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite album is the live album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" from 1970 at MSG. Mick Taylor was with them instead of Ron Wood and I have always been in the camp that believes Taylor was the better guitarist. The greatest version ever of Sympathy For the Devil is in here and there are two great lead solo's in the song. Does anyone know which one Mick plays and assume Keith Richards plays the other. I think it is the best guitar the Stones have ever done. The two Chuck Berry songs "Carol" and "Little Queenie" are fabulous as is Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler. Live with me is another good rocker from this live album. I think the must buy albums for someone not familiar with the Stones would be "Hot Rocks" the greatest hits collection. Of course Sticky Fingers would rate as one of the altime best studio albums. And I would put Some Girls on the list too-one with Woody that is great. They have probably overstayed their welcome in many's eys. There is no quit in Jagger is there? Would like to see some opinions by Stones fans out there. Im sure there are many.

I agree.

So;I'm"A joke" now?

Fuck you.

I think Elvis is a joke.

You're not a joke, but you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm listening to Beggers Banquet now.......fuckin' ace.

Yeah, I love that album. Stray Cat Blues is fuckin' deadly, love that song. Parachute Woman is cool..

You're not a joke, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I love that album. Stray Cat Blues is fuckin' deadly, love that song. Parachute Woman is cool..

So having a different opinion validates your loving remark of not knowing what you are talking about? Count me in then, because I despise Elvis and what he represents.

I absolutely love The Stones.......wait, does that make me right on that issue because I share your viewpoint?

So having a different opinion validates your loving remark of not knowing what you are talking about? Count me in then, because I despise Elvis and what he represents.

I absolutely love The Stones.......wait, does that make me right on that issue because I share your viewpoint?

No, I don't mind people having different opinions. But to dissmiss such an artist like Elvis as "a joke" isn't very profound. It's ok if you despise Elvis and what he represents, as long there's some substance to it.

From an excellent bio of Muddy Waters, one of my favorite Keith Richards quotes:

"There's a demon in me. I think there's a demon in everyone, a dark piece in us all. And the blues is a recognition of that and the ability to express it and make fun out of it, have joy out of that dark stuff." —Keith Richards, foreword to Can't Be Satisfied: The Life & Times of Muddy Waters by Robert Gordon, 2002

That's an excellent book, I highly recomend it to anyone who hasn't read it!

Talking about Keith, has anyone seen the Gram Parsons tribute show, where Keith and Norah Jones sings Love Hurts? It's great. It also includes a version of Wild Horses with Keith on vocals.

Here's

Edited by Swede

In all fairness Elvis is a polarizing figure with little wiggle room in the middle.

You either hate him or love him.

I really don`t care for anything Elvis and then again I don`t care about Elvis so I guess that leaves me with a little wiggle room in the middle.

All those cheesy movies he made, I guess Elvis forgot that he was from Tupelo, thats why I don`t care for Elvis.

Well, you have a point in what you're saying. But IMO I choose not to care about his movies and concentrate on the music instead. lol

Besides, again what does Elvis have to do in a Stones thread.

Keith would kick Elvis` ass!

I think he'd respect the man.

Now, let's talk about the Stones. ;)