Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I too have this recording on a vinyl bootleg. However, it's a fabricated exchange which never actually happened. So far as I know John Lennon never met any members of Led Zeppelin, but he and John Bonham did have at least one close mutual friend (Harry Nilsson). I suppose it's possible their paths crossed, though unlikely. I do doubt Bonham had a heroin habit as early as 1975.

Steve, I usually defer to you when it comes to Zep's history and chronology. However, I'm not sure about your opinion that Bonham wasn't using heroin in 1975. Jimmy Page certainly was. I don't know when Richard Cole started using it but he mentioned in his book that he and Page were both addicted to it by 1976. So it's not impossible or even improbable that Bonham was using heroin in 1975.

Steve, I usually defer to you when it comes to Zep's history and chronology. However, I'm not sure about your opinion that Bonham wasn't using heroin in 1975. Jimmy Page certainly was. I don't know when Richard Cole started using it but he mentioned in his book that he and Page were both addicted to it by 1976. So it's not impossible or even improbable that Bonham was using heroin in 1975.

I do doubt that Bonzo was addicted to heroin in 1975, particularly while in NYC which featured flawless performances on the drum kit. It's certainly plausible he may have been dabbling with it as early as '75, but the story jumps the shark, so to speak, when John Lennon just happens to walk in.

Correction: A dear Japanese friend of mine reports that photo was taken at Nanzenji Temple in Kyoto on September 25th or 26th 1971. To go along with that, I show that while in Kyoto John Paul Jones joined a local band for a jam on 'Green Onions' (venue/location unknown).

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/japan/kyoto-nanzenji

That is really fantastic!

You turned that picture from a decrepit slide in a View Master into breathing cinematic mojo! :friends:

Thanks,

Edited by journeytoroom101

That is really fantastic!

You turned that picture from a decrepit slide in a View Master into breathing cinematic mojo! :friends:

Thanks,

You're welcome. I've always been fascinated by the interconnections of things and events. Led Zeppelin can be a gateway into so many realms of cultural discovery, as I hope this thread occasionally illustrates.

I do doubt that Bonzo was addicted to heroin in 1975, particularly while in NYC which featured flawless performances on the drum kit. It's certainly plausible he may have been dabbling with it as early as '75, but the story jumps the shark, so to speak, when John Lennon just happens to walk in.

I am retelling this brief encounter by My memory. I read it about 10 years ago in and unauthorized biography of John Lennon by some accredited author (I cannot remember his name at the present moment) but a well-known author of other biographies. The book I read was over a 1000 pages long and titled, "The Lives of John Lennon".

Again, from what I remember reading, John Lennon and Jesse Ed Davis (a big Native American that played guitar with Taj Mahal, among others, I guess) were at the NYC Plaza Hotel and happened to come into Bonzo's suite. How or why that They entered Bonzo's room I have no idea because I was not there. I am just paraphrasing from memory what I read about this.

In My post (#5423), I never alluded to the fact that John Bonham was "addicted" to Herion. I was just retelling what I had read. In all honesty (and with much concern and regret) I do believe that Bonzo was in the late stages of Alcoholism and in the mid stages of Herion and Cocaine addiction in the years beginning in 1975.

In My Opinion, John Henry Bonham's performances as the Drummer for Led Zeppelin has almost always been flawless, but to say and deny that Bonzo had, what We now know as "Chemical Dependencies" or "Substance Abuse Problems", would be considered Absurd and Moot in this year of 2014. The same can be said for the Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Jonesy.

I can say that I do not and never will not care what Drugs any of the Members of Led Zeppelin ever took, snorted or ingested, etc... I truly Believe that whatever They did is what makes Them the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time!!!

I think that Only Time will tell and the Time will Prove that I am Correct.

Edited by kingzoso

Albert Goldman may be the author your thinking of. He'd written books on Lennon & Elvis. He's name checked in I believe God Part II from U2's rattle and hum. "Don't believe in Goldman, his type like a curse, Instant Karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first" - or something similar.....

I seem to remember Goldman taking a lot of heat for writing unflattering or untrue stories about Lennon & Elvis hence the Bono lyric.... The following is taken from Wiki.... "Goldman died of heart failure on March 28, 1994 while flying from Miami to London. He left unfinished a biography of Doors singer Jim Morrison".

Albert Goldman may be the author your thinking of. He'd written books on Lennon & Elvis. He's name checked in I believe God Part II from U2's rattle and hum. "Don't believe in Goldman, his type like a curse, Instant Karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first" - or something similar.....

I seem to remember Goldman taking a lot of heat for writing unflattering or untrue stories about Lennon & Elvis hence the Bono lyric.... The following is taken from Wiki.... "Goldman died of heart failure on March 28, 1994 while flying from Miami to London. He left unfinished a biography of Doors singer Jim Morrison".

Goldman was a vulture picking over the bones of Presley and Lennon while they lay defenseless in death. Both books are very much like Stephen Davis' Hammer of the Gods - entertaining but highly sensationalized and filled with enough inaccuracies to rule out being taken as the gospel truth. Davis claims(ed) in print they played Austin in '75 so for that alone you've got to take his books with a huge grain of salt.

Anyway, John Lennon walking in on John Bonham in his hotel suite is kind of problematic from a "mystery" standpoint cause really unless someone credible says they witnessed it how would we ever know for sure? How would Goldman know? Goldman loved to exploit that which can't be proven nor dis-proven, for example his suggestion in print that Lennon had a brief homosexual relationship with Beatles manager Brian Epstein.

Having said all that, personally I don't particularly find discussion of Led Zeppelin's drug habits and addictions to be particularly interesting.

Edited by SteveAJones

I read the same anecdote in a book called John Lennon in New York. It said Bonham was sick from using strong heroin and told them they could have the rest. Or something close to that.

Perhaps we should pause for a minute and ask ourselves if this makes sense. A serious junkie rarely gets sick or overdoses; this is more common among occasional users. I do not see this incident, if it did occur, as evidence that Bonham was a heroin addict. The incident probably never happened though, because if someone gets sick from something would they really give it to their friends?

I would also like to inform Kingsozo and anyone else that there is no such thing as an accredited writer. There may be professional associations for writers, but they do not grant any kind of "accreditation" which in the US anyway would be seen as a frightening challenge to free speech. Also, the fact someone has written a lot of books does not make that person more credible. It might make the person less credible, as it takes a lot of time to thoroughly research a subject and if someone is just cranking out one book after another one has to wonder how much actual research took place.

Is it true that Jimmy got into the habit of heroin during EARLY 1975, or was it only later during the recording of Presence he was addicted to it? From what hear in Earls Court on Page's side, he has definitely been on heroin.

Edited by Gandolf

Is it true that Jimmy got into the habit of heroin during EARLY 1975, or was it only later during the recording of Presence he was addicted to it? From what hear in Earls Court on Page's side, he has definitely been on heroin.

Jimmy dabbled in many substances during the mid-1970s but has seldom discussed the specifics...don't expect to see "On This Day, I tried heroin"...

The Outrider tour itinerary issued to band members and crew lists the Wang Center for the Performing Arts in Boston on Sun, November 13, 1988. However, we know that date was not performed as they played The Ritz in NYC instead.

It's strange because they were using a hotel in Boston as their hub for that entire last week. Does anyone recall if the Boston date was ever announced or if tickets had ever gone on sale? Perhaps someone in Boston has access to the local newspaper archives?

Edited by SteveAJones

I'm not sure if this has been covered on here but regarding Bonham's appearance onstage during a Deep Purple concert circa '76 (where he reportedly insulted Tommy Bolin), are there any pictures of this, eye witness accounts or comments from either camp (Zeppelin or Purple), other than those in Hammer of the Gods or Stairway to Heaven?

Edited by Mook

^^^ I second this individual's inquiry. It would be interesting to determine if there are any photos of Bonham's "guest" appearances. With some consistency he managed to invite himself onstage, more often than not with disastrous results. It would appear his courage to be so bold only presented itself when he was rather intoxicated, leading to his playing being more than subpar. This is all based on witness accounts of course - in fact I can't recall the band members themselves ever commenting on his questionable showings in this type of situation.

He also apparently helped himself onstage on the evening of June 24th, 1977 - I can't remember the band but accounts indicate he had drank very heavily that day and did not go over well with the audience. It would be fascinating to have a picture. I wish I could contribute something here other than conjecture, but this topic appears to be loosely documented at best within Zeppelin's history.

I'm not sure if this has been covered on here but regarding Bonham's appearance onstage during a Deep Purple concert circa '76 (where he reportedly insulted Tommy Bolin), are there any pictures of this, eye witness accounts or comments from either camp (Zeppelin or Purple), other than those in Hammer of the Gods or Stairway to Heaven?

According to my notes, the February 7, 1976 issue of Sounds (a UK music paper) reported that Bonzo ran onstage at the end of Deep Purple's New York City concert and addressed the crowd…"we've got a new album out soon". I have since determined this would have occurred either January 22 or 23 1976 at Radio City Music Hall, as Deep Purple performed two shows there. So far as I know there aren't any photographs or recordings of the incident in circulation.

He also apparently helped himself onstage on the evening of June 24th, 1977 - I can't remember the band but accounts indicate he had drank very heavily that day and did not go over well with the audience.

While I do show this was a day off for them in Los Angeles, I don't show any Bonham hi-jinks occurring on this day. If I've overlooked something someone please let me know.

The onstage incident I'd love to have a photograph of is when the members of Led Zeppelin attended a Slade concert and pelted them with vegetables! This incident reportedly occurred in Dallas or Ft. Worth, most likely on May 17, 20 or 21 1973 (date still unconfirmed).

I do recall reading of an incident at one of Zeppelin's 5 Earl Court performances in 1975. From what I remember, the band was backstage waiting to go on, and in drives a Rolls Royce into the backstage area, carrying all 4 Slade members, which crashes into a stack of something. At the time, Slade was the king of the UK pop scene, while Zeppelin were the biggest band in the world.

Edited by NealR2000

Steve,

Noticed these dates listed on the liner notes on the Zep 3, alternate CD reissue:

• Jenning Farm Blues - Liner notes on CD says recorded December 13, 1970. Wasn't this recorded in late 1969?

• Immigrant Song alternate take - Liner notes said recorded May 29, 1970. If correct, that means it was recorded before the Iceland show (June 22, 1970). Either this date is wrong, or Plant is pulling our leg that he wrote the lyrics to IS during that trip to Iceland, which he has claimed on more than one occasion. Listening to the first live airing at Bath six days after Iceland, he barely sings any of the lyrics he wrote. I know Plant has a fuzzy memory at times, but I'm leaning towards the liner notes having the wrong recording dates.

What do you think? Maybe both dates are wrong, as the person doing Jimmy Page on this day website may have also written the liner notes for Zep 3 re-issue! :lol:

Steve,

Noticed these dates listed on the liner notes on the Zep 3, alternate CD reissue:

• Jenning Farm Blues - Liner notes on CD says recorded December 13, 1970. Wasn't this recorded in late 1969?

• Immigrant Song alternate take - Liner notes said recorded May 29, 1970. If correct, that means it was recorded before the Iceland show (June 22, 1970). Either this date is wrong, or Plant is pulling our leg that he wrote the lyrics to IS during that trip to Iceland, which he has claimed on more than one occasion. Listening to the first live airing at Bath six days after Iceland, he barely sings any of the lyrics he wrote. I know Plant has a fuzzy memory at times, but I'm leaning towards the liner notes having the wrong recording dates.

What do you think? Maybe both dates are wrong, as the person doing Jimmy Page on this day website may have also written the liner notes for Zep 3 re-issue! :lol:

EXCELLENT questions which I'm looking into. The liner notes for these releases were compiled by reputable contributors.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Saw an interesting documentary on AC/DC, and one highlight was that the band, after initial success down under, came back to the UK and held residency in 1976 and 1977 (I think for about 10 months) with non stop touring in and around London, as well as other UK dates. I was wondering if there has been any public commentary or confirmation of any of Zep attending any of their shows during this period?

As you'll recall, Zep members, as they were rehearsing for the 77 American tour, went out to see punk bands like The Damned and Eater, etc...but I have never read any mention of AC/DC. With that lineup in that era when they were about 2-3 albums in, I would think the Zep camp would have interest in seeing them at that time.

Steve,

Saw an interesting documentary on AC/DC, and one highlight was that the band, after initial success down under, came back to the UK and held residency in 1976 and 1977 (I think for about 10 months) with non stop touring in and around London, as well as other UK dates. I was wondering if there has been any public commentary or confirmation of any of Zep attending any of their shows during this period?

As you'll recall, Zep members, as they were rehearsing for the 77 American tour, went out to see punk bands like The Damned and Eater, etc...but I have never read any mention of AC/DC. With that lineup in that era when they were about 2-3 albums in, I would think the Zep camp would have interest in seeing them at that time.

None to my knowledge, although a fanzine reported that Robert & Jason attended an AC/DC concert in Dublin on October 21 or 22 1982 (unconfirmed). Jason does recall attending his first rock festival - Monsters of Rock at Donington on August 18, 1984 - and seeing AC/DC perform on that occasion. The following month Virginia Wolf opened two European dates of AC/DC's 'Flick Of The Switch' tour (Lyon on 9/12 and Paris on 9/15).

Monsters of Rock at Donington (1984)

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey Steve. When Led Zeppelin were receiving their Kennedy Centers Honors award, do you know of or have seen, read or heard of Jimmy, Robert and John Paul ever meeting Mr. Robert De Niro? Of Course Robert De Niro was there to introduce his good friend and great actor, Mr. Dustin Hoffman. Dustin met Jimmy, Robert and John Paul before, during and after the Honors.

I would like to think that at some point, either before or after the event, that all 4 of them had actually met and maybe conversed for a while. I am sure there was a "meet and greet" before the actual ceremony and definitely an "after party" that I would think that almost all the Honor winners, guest speakers (for all of the Honorees), musicians and most of the attendees, including the President and First Lady attended. That would have been a most complex and elaborate affair that would have also included members of the media and definitely the Secret Service along with other prominent members of the United States Government (senators and congressmen/women, etc...).

Beside actually meeting Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Robert De Niro, it would be My ultimate dream to see a picture of the 4 most Powerful men ever in the whole of the entertainment business taking a picture together and smiling for the camera(s).

I mean, HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE. A PICTURE FOR THE AGES. ABSOLUTELY TIMELESS!!!

Edited to add this:

http://youtu.be/eJUYuz1_7Vg

Edited by kingzoso