Strange sound in "Babe i'm gonna leave you"

Olie

Hi.Every time that i ear "babe i'm gonna leave you" i can't help to ear a strange sound.

nearly after 1min40sec just after "We really got to ramble..."

don't u ? :o Looks like "gni gni gna nou nini".it really affraid me

i'm asking myself if it is not a subliminal message, a mystical meaning ?

i really want to learn more about my favourite band.this obsede me

Please answer :unsure:

Hi.Every time that i ear "babe i'm gonna leave you" i can't help to ear a strange sound.

its a tape echo of the next lyric he sings

It definitely IS a subliminal message, saying "Satan likes to wear a bikini". After hearing it, i became a Born Again Christian next day, as i was so frightened!

It may not necessarily be backwards echo here. This sort of thing may have been bleed through when Robert was singing without a mic in the same room when the rhythm section was laying down their tracks. It kind of sounds that way to me. I think it's cool whether it's accidental or not. Bonzo's squeaky kit pieces and other noises throughout the albums are a cool humanizing element.

It may not necessarily be backwards echo here. This sort of thing may have been bleed through when Robert was singing without a mic in the same room when the rhythm section was laying down their tracks. It kind of sounds that way to me. I think it's cool whether it's accidental or not. Bonzo's squeaky kit pieces and other noises throughout the albums are a cool humanizing element.

It could be that or it could be tape bleed. If you record a track too 'hot' next to a quiet track on tape you will be able to hear the 'hot' track next to the quiet one. Thats why drum and bass tracks never go next to vocal tracks, you would hear the drums bleed through into the vocal track (assuming they were pushing the tape hard, which is pretty common with tape) I know there are a bunch of examples of this on the first two records.

Its also known that Page used reverse-echo... they would record the echo as it happened, then turn the tapes over and play them back so the echo dubbed before the effect rather than after. Page was kind of a pioneer with this in the studio (never really been done).

This probably isn't what you hear for the lyrics in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (as the lyrics would be inverted). Its more for the instruments, but this will clear up some of the other "weird" sounds they come up with.

Theres plenty of examples of this on nearly every album. More reasons why Page was a studio monster.

P.S., I called satan and he told me that he didn't work with Zeppelin (please do not go wreck your vinyls by playing them backwards).

• 1 year later...

I CAN HEAR IT CAALIN' MEEEEEEEEEEEE

love that song =] but yeah i'm pretty sure it says ' I can hear it callin' me '

I did somethin about the way that Pagey sorta mastered the technique of putting the echo before the main sound for my GCSE english oral exam . Haha, Zep ftw <3

I CAN HEAR IT CAALIN' MEEEEEEEEEEEE

love that song =] but yeah i'm pretty sure it says ' I can hear it callin' me '

I did somethin about the way that Pagey sorta mastered the technique of putting the echo before the main sound for my GCSE english oral exam . Haha, Zep ftw <3

Hi All,

I've just devoted the last hour to playing this track, forwards and backwards, over and over again, and i cant hear anything at all, not a jot, nothing. :unsure:

So now i'm Deaf, and Satan cant talk to me anymore, my backmasking days are well and truely over, where do i go from here? :depressed:

Regards, Danny :boohoo:

Hi All,

I've just devoted the last hour to playing this track, forwards and backwards, over and over again, and i cant hear anything at all, not a jot, nothing. unsure.gif

So now i'm Deaf, and Satan cant talk to me anymore, my backmasking days are well and truely over, where do i go from here? depressed.gif

Regards, Danny boohoo.gif

you go to get your ears tested danny mate

• 11 months later...
  • 10 years later...