Next Soundboard Release

Xolo1974

It's seems highly likely the sb tapes come from an ex show co source But I wonder why it took so long for then to start leaking. I wonder if page tasked Someone with transferring all his sb tapes and copies were made during that process . The tapes started leaking on 2002. Prior to the DVD hwww project. Page had given no thought to the fact that tapes deteriorate. When shirley informed page the tapes were deteriorating and that any tapes he wanted to preserve would have to be transferred to digital or be lost forever page was suprised and upset. I know no soundboards were worked on or considered for release bit i think it is highly possible that this conversation would have prompted page to transfer his soundboard archive to digital. He may not view them as commercially viable but I doubt he would just let them rot away to be lost for ever . Those tapes  represent a large chunk of his life's work and I am sure he would want to preserve them for posterity. There would be no reason not to do it. It's easy and would cost next to nothing and would require no effort on pages part. So that could be how the tapes get out  but that's pure speculation and could very well not be the case.

Another possible explanation for the leaking of the 75 and 77 board tapes and I'll admit this one in not all that likely but it might have something today with 8mm fan shot footage. Page put a call out to fans to send him fan shot footage for possible use on DVD for stuff like bonus material or use in the menus and he did use 1977 footage of srts synced to the Millard tape. 90 percent of the zeppelin fan shot footage comes from the 75 and 77 tours and if he was reviewing all that footage it would make sense for him to have the 75 and 77 soundboard tapes on hand and transferred  because he would want to sync the footage to soundboard audio as the camera audio is pretty bad as well as much of the audience audio people synced to alot of that footage.. I realize this is a long shot but it is possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw on Twitter that evsd is releasing a cd single of immigrant song from osaka on September 29 1971 from a previously unheard soundboard . It's not from the soundboard  that already circulates . If this is true then evsd has access to sb tapes from both osaka shows or perhaps multi track mixdown of those shows . Nice to know there is at least some stuff prior to 75 they have access too . Wouldn't it be amazing if evsd gave us a deluxe set of both osaka shows for the 50th anniversary but knowing evsd this won't happen as they will want to milk the cow for all its worth.

Just seen that evsd recently repackaged the 2 Vancouver soundboards with the the 2nd Seattle soundboard . Those are 3 killer performances to have on one set and many consider those to be 3 of the best shows of 1975 and along with long beach probably are the best shows of 1975 but talk about milking the cow with those 75 shows . How many times have they released those Vancouver shows.

I'm by no means an authority on this, but it seems highly likely there are more releases out there. Too many March 1975 shows have been made available, they've got to all be out there. Does anyone know how well the 3-21-run sold? If they pressed only 300 copies, there's got to be enough affluent buyers who want a physical product to put on a shelf even after the torrent floodgates were opened. My guess would be EVSD sold every single one of them. I could be wrong, of course. Does anyone have any concrete data on this?

Me neither. I don't have the statistics but Seattle 21 is by all accounts a pretty hot seller ...albeit in a disasterously declining silver market. So it would be unfair to compare it's succes to a hot show released in  the  nineties where this kind of release would have sold thousands (re-issues included)

That's why Tarantura, Antrabata or sanctuary never bothered If their first run sold out in the early nineties, they just concentrated on their next release . 

The initial Empress Seattle boxed sets have a limited run of less than 100 to 300  copies. But EV  pressed a lot more Seattle CD's!. These silvers being distributed either as the plain Jane jewell case edition or the recent 10 CD Vancouver/Seattle 75 boxed set. 

That makes Empress current businessplan being drasticaly different compared to the previous generation of suprême boot labels. EV  manages to  cover a broad market, from the affluent middle aged collector who is willing to fork out 350 $, to a younger audience, who buys popular shows like Texas pop, fillmore, Eddie, or BB Hill on silver 2 or 3 CD sets for 20 to 50 $ . 

See what Moonchild is doing nowadays. They are reIssuing that old stuff at Lightning speed.... at even cheaper prices

2 hours ago, duckman said:

See what Moonchild is doing nowadays. They are reIssuing that old stuff at Lightning speed.... at even cheaper prices

I believe they are just packaging up Winston remasters, which is not appreciated. (somewhere in here there was a thread discussing it)

6 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I believe they are just packaging up Winston remasters, which is not appreciated. (somewhere in here there was a thread discussing it)

Yes, almost all - or possibly 100% all - of Moonchild's releases have been pressings of Winston's work.

16 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Yes, almost all - or possibly 100% all - of Moonchild's releases have been pressings of Winston's work.

that's not correct. Don't get me wrong I loathe Moonchild's abuse  of Winstons name, but the most recent 5O+  Moonchild titles are cheap re-releases of Beatles, Clapton, U2, Prince, Guns'n Roses, Zeppelin (the 75 US Soundboards, BBC 71, LA Forum 72 ), Jackson Browne, Boz Scags and Paul Weller stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

The osaka immigrant song sounds quite good and is a great performance. I love pages guitar tone in 1971 so Much more full and thick. It's very rich and so much  warmer then his latter tone. I 'll never understand why he went from this tone to the dry brittle tone of the latter years. His early 70s tone would have helped him alot latter on when his playing skills declined. 

Hopefully evsd has access to the tokyo soundboards. Since they have access to the osaka shows there is a chance.  I really love the second tokyo show in my opinion it's ad good as the osaka shows . Plants voice is very strong on the 24th and might be his best vocals of the 5 japan shows . He gives a killer version of since going for and hitting those big screams he had been ducking on many of the September u s shows. I hear a big improvement in his voice for the tokyo shows over most of the post l a shows on the 71 u s tour. . The whole band is at the top of their game for the japan tour.  Hopefully evsd will give is a full osaka show for the 50th anniversary.  You would think evsd would be announcing their next sb release very soon. If they were planning an osaka release you would think they would announce it when they released immigrant like they did with heartbreaker from Seattle. I hope it's not another tease like black dog and then give us another 75 show. But I would have no complaints with the second long beach show.

• 2 weeks later...

I see evsd is packaging the Houston and fort worth 77 shows together for their next zeppelin release.  I wonder if it's a primer for an upcoming 77 soundboard release. Maybe Birmingham or baton rouge. Either one would be most welcome  if we don't get osaka from 71. I would prefer baton rouge since we have no recording if that show. Birmingham would be great though  it's one of my favorite 77 shows. Great show and plants voice is very strong. It would also make a great matrix as one of the audience sources is a fine recording. You would think we would be getting an anoucment any time  now.  Maybe they are waiting to see what the official release is going to be before deciding.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:51 AM, Adam Ryan watson said:

The osaka immigrant song sounds quite good and is a great performance. I love pages guitar tone in 1971 so Much more full and thick. It's very rich and so much  warmer then his latter tone. I 'll never understand why he went from this tone to the dry brittle tone of the latter years. His early 70s tone would have helped him alot latter on when his playing skills declined. 

I'm not sure about 77, but in the audience sources from 75 Page's overdrive is much dirtier compared to the soundboards. My guess is that he was using an effect for overdrive which wasn't coming through on the soundboard line. This happened in 73 as well, like on the "Tympani for the Butter Queen" boot. It's very dry and twangy.

29 minutes ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

I see evsd is packaging the Houston and fort worth 77 shows together for their next zeppelin release.  I wonder if it's a primer for an upcoming 77 soundboard release. Maybe Birmingham or baton rouge. Either one would be most welcome  if we don't get osaka from 71. I would prefer baton rouge since we have no recording if that show. Birmingham would be great though  it's one of my favorite 77 shows. Great show and plants voice is very strong. It would also make a great matrix as one of the audience sources is a fine recording. You would think we would be getting an anoucment any time  now.  Maybe they are waiting to see what the official release is going to be before deciding.

Considering how EVSD has a reputation (deservedly so) for being greedy bastards, I think the Houston and Fort Worth bundle is just another pointless cash grab from them. That being said, my number one soundboard from 77 would be the 6/22 LA show. IMHO, it's even better than Eddie and Badgeholders, yet the mediocre/inconsistent sound quality has caused it to be overlooked, at least by casual Zeppelin boot collectors. Baton Rouge and Birmingham would be two other great choices though, along with any show we don't have yet or a show that we only have a bad recording of (ex. 4/10 Chicago, 6/8 NY).

19 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm not sure about 77, but in the audience sources from 75 Page's overdrive is much dirtier compared to the soundboards. My guess is that he was using an effect for overdrive which wasn't coming through on the soundboard line. This happened in 73 as well, like on the "Tympani for the Butter Queen" boot. It's very dry and twangy.

I love pages tone on the audience recordings from 75  . Your right it just didn't translate to the soundboard recording very well. I have also noticed that for the first l.a show his tone was very thick full and crunchy on the Millard tape more so than most other nights on the tour. I also love his tone on the Montreal audience tape . Very full sounding. It's really only his 77 thru 1980 tone that dissapointed me. Although Copenhagen in 79 has killer tone.

18 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Considering how EVSD has a reputation (deservedly so) for being greedy bastards, I think the Houston and Fort Worth bundle is just another pointless cash grab from them. That being said, my number one soundboard from 77 would be the 6/22 LA show. IMHO, it's even better than Eddie and Badgeholders, yet the mediocre/inconsistent sound quality has caused it to be overlooked, at least by casual Zeppelin boot collectors. Baton Rouge and Birmingham would be two other great choices though, along with any show we don't have yet or a show that we only have a bad recording of (ex. 4/10 Chicago, 6/8 NY).

I agree June 22 77 is my favorite 77 show as well. The whole band is on fire and Robert gives his best vocal performance of 77 in my opinion . He pushes his voice very hard and it holds up the whole show. And you get the best imtod they ever played and pages best over the hills solo. It may be my favorite show post 73.

Speaking of fort worth 77 . I have tried very hard to get into that show as it is highly regarded but for some reason it never grabs me . I can only get into the first 3 numbers and no quarter but other then that it just does not grab me. The sound quality is great and is better then the other 77 boards. What am I missing with that show. 

6 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Speaking of fort worth 77 . I have tried very hard to get into that show as it is highly regarded but for some reason it never grabs me . I can only get into the first 3 numbers and no quarter but other then that it just does not grab me. The sound quality is great and is better then the other 77 boards. What am I missing with that show. 

That's a good question.  I love that show.  In addition to the first 3 and NQ, IMTOD & SIBLY are also quite good in the first third of the show--even when Bonzo throws in a bit of "The Crunge" in IMTOD and throws Page off, it's sort of more funny than anything.  Nothing in particular about the middle third stands out to me, but that goes for a lot of '77 shows.  "Kashmir" is quite strong.  "Over The Top" really is over the top, and is one of my favourite Bonham solos.  It has a great version of Achilles, especially for Bonham, who's killing it the whole show, as he always seemed to in Texas.  And then I've always loved "It'll Be Me" as the second encore.

On 16/03/2018 at 2:44 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

That's a good question.  I love that show.  In addition to the first 3 and NQ, IMTOD & SIBLY are also quite good in the first third of the show--even when Bonzo throws in a bit of "The Crunge" in IMTOD and throws Page off, it's sort of more funny than anything.  Nothing in particular about the middle third stands out to me, but that goes for a lot of '77 shows.  "Kashmir" is quite strong.  "Over The Top" really is over the top, and is one of my favourite Bonham solos.  It has a great version of Achilles, especially for Bonham, who's killing it the whole show, as he always seemed to in Texas.  And then I've always loved "It'll Be Me" as the second encore.

Going to give the last third a couple of more listens hopefully it will grab me this time as it will  give me something different to get into  outside of my usual staples. I forgot about that version of since I've been loving you. It really is killer.   It's one of those songs where they almost always seem to  step up their game. They really loved playing that song.

8 hours ago, Blimp_Life said:

A one track CD including "Stairway to Heaven" (Osaka 1971-09-29, real SBD) will go on sale on this Friday March 30th in Japan.
It seems like the same form and the price as previously released "Immigrant Song" CD.

mmm, and Whole Lotta Love to follow in a month or so, it seems, if people behave. Interesting business model. I guess they are now trying to rely on a very small number of fanatic collectors. I'm not one of them.

I'm not even going to calculate when the full 929 show might appear at this rate! It's like those partworks that get advertised on TV in January. Build a model racing car in installments... it will take 5 years and cost £1500, when you could buy the same thing in a shop for £50. Maybe come September we'll be able to buy the real 929 in a shop :)

On 27/03/2018 at 11:43 PM, Crimson Avenger said:

mmm, and Whole Lotta Love to follow in a month or so, it seems, if people behave. Interesting business model. I guess they are now trying to rely on a very small number of fanatic collectors. I'm not one of them.

I'm not even going to calculate when the full 929 show might appear at this rate! It's like those partworks that get advertised on TV in January. Build a model racing car in installments... it will take 5 years and cost £1500, when you could buy the same thing in a shop for £50. Maybe come September we'll be able to buy the real 929 in a shop :)

Hi bud. How do you know that Whole Lotta Love will also be released? Has there been some sort of announcement? If so, where was it? @Blimp_Life where is the announcement for Stairway? 

@duckman does the fact that they have IS, Stairway and WLL in soundboard quality suggest that they have the full show in this quality, rather than 2/3 as we have previously discussed? 

Archived