Led Zeppelin will release a limited edition 7” single featuring 2 previously unheard mixes: “Sunset Sound Mix” of “Rock And Roll” and “Olympic Studios Mix” of “Friends.”

sam_webmaster

I went with my son RSD hopping through 4 different stores and bought the 45, a used In Through the Out Door album, Jimmy's She Just Satisfies single, a Yardbirds cd and a DVD copy of Blow Up. Happy camper here. ☺

11 hours ago, Pilot of the Storm said:

I see that there are already 94 of these for sale on ebay.co.uk

Yup... count me as one of many that didn't get one. Makes it wonderful to see effing a-holes flipping it for 3-4 times the price. I won't pay the opportunistic Ebay scum to get one, so unless this gets released again, I'll be downloading it for free.

52 minutes ago, Pilot of the Storm said:

ha ha. That's the exact time that I got in the queue too. Good job the weather was kind to us.

Worth the wait Pilot. I bought Floyds Piper at the gates of dawn mono release and Sandy Denny Old fashioned waltz on clear vinyl. Did u get anything else?

13 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

John Bonham's drumming on the Olympic Studio mix of Friends sounds excellent and Rock n Roll is absolutely awesome too.:thumbsup:

Excellent. I went to two area local record stores, but they were both sold out of the single, but I did manage to get the display.

R😎

Jimmy's guitar on rock n roll sounds very good in the mix, better than the alternative version from the box set I'd say, sounds great.  And John Bonham's drums sound very good on Friends imo. Sounds great as well.

2 minutes ago, reids said:

Excellent. I went to two area local record stores, but they were both sold out of the single, but I did manage to get the display.

R😎

Nice work getting the display reids! Did you have to pay for it?

5 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Nice work getting the display reids! Did you have to pay for it?

Thx. No. They gave it to me as I inquired about the single. It was behind the counter out of view. I had recently purchased the 5.1 blu ray for HTWWW from them, so they knew I was a Zeppelin buyer. 

R😎

1 minute ago, reids said:

Thx. No. They gave it to me as I inquired about the single. It was behind the counter out of view. I had recently purchased the 5.1 blu ray for HTWWW from them, so they knew I was a Zeppelin buyer. 

R😎

Nice!

36 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Jimmy's guitar on rock n roll sounds very good in the mix, better than the alternative version from the box set I'd say, sounds great.  And John Bonham's drums sound very good on Friends imo. Sounds great as well.

I totally agree. Really enjoying these mixes.

Very happy with this single. Sunset sound mix is a “hot mix”, IMHO. It sounds raw with less “polish” and more “grit”. Interesting stuff but ultimately I can see why they went with the version that’s on the album. With the Olympic mix you focus more on the percussion  and notice more details of the vocal performance.  Lots to listen out for in both tracks.

i like the idea of contrasting two tracks from opposing albums against each other along with their art works

I would welcome another couple of these to mop up any possible last alternate mixes that are worth hearing but didn’t make the reissue campaign.

so yeah, worth while.,.

14 hours ago, ledded1 said:

Worth the wait Pilot. I bought Floyds Piper at the gates of dawn mono release and Sandy Denny Old fashioned waltz on clear vinyl. Did u get anything else?

Yup. I got The Who's double lp 'The Kids Are Alright' on blue and red vinyl and Rory Gallagher 'The French Connection' (previously unreleased 1974 concert recorded at RTL Studios, Paris). Both impulse buys as I only really went for the Zep single but really pleased with my purchases. :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

So the congas sound better on Friends? 😏

9 hours ago, JAP said:

Very happy with this single. Sunset sound mix is a “hot mix”, IMHO. It sounds raw with less “polish” and more “grit”. Interesting stuff but ultimately I can see why they went with the version that’s on the album. With the Olympic mix you focus more on the percussion  and notice more details of the vocal performance.  Lots to listen out for in both tracks.

i like the idea of contrasting two tracks from opposing albums against each other along with their art works

I would welcome another couple of these to mop up any possible last alternate mixes that are worth hearing but didn’t make the reissue campaign.

so yeah, worth while.,.

This

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

So the congas sound better on Friends? 😏

Jap's description I'd say was spot on about the focus being more on the percussion and noticing more details of the vocal performance with the Olympic mix and there being lots to listen out for in both tracks.

On 19/04/2018 at 10:58 PM, IzzyBlues said:

You have to be kidding me.

Why on earth didn't Jimmy just include these tracks onto the alternate discs for the remasters?

Been saying this for ages. It’s fucked!

Observations of the RSD single release:

Rock and Roll sounded a little brighter. Jimmy's lead overdubs at the beginning are slightly different from the original and the end of the solo is different. Odds are the original had an edit at that section. Drum solo at the end has added reverb.

Friends: No orchestra, Bongos more prominent in the mix and a different harmony line offered by Plant in the second verse.

Glad I picked up a copy.

Will there be an official digital download offered, such as HDtracks.com? 

A digital file has leaked on the internet already, seems to be from the digital master (not from a vinyl copy). I can't find any online download stores that have this yet, so it must have leaked from someone "inside". 

I just returned from Amsterdam where I was able to get a copy of this while on vacation.  We arrived on Saturday at 4 pm and after going to a few shops I was unable to find a store that sold anything but house, metal, and dance music; I was quickly discouraged and went to buy a space cake.  Mmmmm space cake....

On Sunday, after some research online, I went to a shop called Record Palace; the owner had a copy on hold for someone who hadn't shown up and sold it to me for 20 euro...better than ebay prices anyways.  Nice guy at this shop; he also sold me a copy of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates on vinyl as well for 28 EU.  Shop-keep genuinely seemed to be happy to see someone get so much joy from his products and i didn't feel robbed by his prices. It was a much better experience than standing in line at the shitty mall here in Massachusetts on RSD to just see some douche-bag ebay seller grab every copy and then the fight the rest for the scraps.  Stupid Newbury comics killed all the local shops in the suburbs of Mass long ago...

Listened to the 45 yesterday when I got back; rock and roll is a bit more punchy and the drums have more space/ambience i guess.  Alternate levels and guitar fills are all over it and the solo is a bit different in the same way.  Some of Jimmy's fills seem meandering or exploratory in a way and this gives me some insight into his creative process; perhaps this is the point of these releases?.  Friends is a nice b side and the removal of the strings really makes a huge difference in how you hear the vocal, tabla, and guitar. 

It is sad to see this item going for over $50 on ebay right now.  RSD is very broken in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

I just returned from Amsterdam where I was able to get a copy of this while on vacation.  We arrived on Saturday at 4 pm and after going to a few shops I was unable to find a store that sold anything but house, metal, and dance music; I was quickly discouraged and went to buy a space cake.  Mmmmm space cake....

On Sunday, after some research online, I went to a shop called Record Palace; the owner had a copy on hold for someone who hadn't shown up and sold it to me for 20 euro...better than ebay prices anyways.  Nice guy at this shop; he also sold me a copy of Johnny Kidd and the Pirates on vinyl as well for 28 EU.  Shop-keep genuinely seemed to be happy to see someone get so much joy from his products and i didn't feel robbed by his prices. It was a much better experience than standing in line at the shitty mall here in Massachusetts on RSD to just see some douche-bag ebay seller grab every copy and then the fight the rest for the scraps.  Stupid Newbury comics killed all the local shops in the suburbs of Mass long ago...

Listened to the 45 yesterday when I got back; rock and roll is a bit more punchy and the drums have more space/ambience i guess.  Alternate levels and guitar fills are all over it and the solo is a bit different in the same way.  Some of Jimmy's fills seem meandering or exploratory in a way and this gives me some insight into his creative process; perhaps this is the point of these releases?.  Friends is a nice b side and the removal of the strings really makes a huge difference in how you hear the vocal, tabla, and guitar. 

It is sad to see this item going for over $50 on ebay right now.  RSD is very broken in my opinion.

Yep. I refuse to pay anything over retail ($10) for the single. The scalpers / resellers on EBay for $50+ each can stick the vinyl up theirs. 

R😎

Archived