Led Zeppelin reunion: band working on new material

Source

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have been working on original material together that could be destined for a new Led Zeppelin album.

Drummer Jason Bonham told Detroit radio station 94.7 WCSX that writing new material had always been "on the cards" since the band's one-off reunion show in London last December.

However, singer Robert Plant has not been involved in the sessions yet.

"I've been working with Jimmy and John Paul and trying [out] some new material," he said. "I don't know what it will be, but it will be something. At the moment, all I know is I have the great pleasure to go and jam with the two guys and start work on some material.

"When I get there [in the studio] I never ask any questions. If I get a phone call to go and play, I enjoy every moment of it. Whatever it ends up as, to ever get a chance to jam with two people like that, it is a phenomenal thing for me. It's my life. It's what I've dreamed about doing.

"[The] possibility of doing something [like an album] is on the cards. I really felt it was on the cards from the moment we walked offstage at the O2 [Arena].

"Lots of politics [would need to] get ironed out [before an album could be made]."

Discuss

I just don't what to get my hopes up. No wait: I just don't want to admit my hopes for an album and a tour ARE up. I've had some hard luck seeing Zep live (canceled show in '75, crappy show in '77 and shut out in '07). But I can't deny, I still want it!!!

I Can't Quit You Babe!

If this happens without Planty then it's not Zeppelin. It will no doubt be fantastic and I'll wait with baited breath, but it's not going to be Led Zeppelin!

:beer: agreed.

in fact, a lot of people would argue that without Bonzo, it is not technically Zeppelin to begin with.

However - with or without original members (and however much I support Robert), I for one will happily take whatever we are given, and back it t the hilt. :)

If this happens without Planty then it's not Zeppelin. It will no doubt be fantastic and I'll wait with baited breath, but it's not going to be Led Zeppelin!

Plant will be involved when he's finished with Krauss, I imagine that the other three are getting a head start with the music and RP will come along with the lyrics, they'll probably be comunicating by the internet with ideas etc.

Maybe Jason was holding his cards close but I didn't get the impression that they were necessarily working on a new album, let alone a Zeppelin album. I mean it would be great if that's secretly in the works but it sounds more like a couple of songs for someone's solo project. Of course, if Plant gets on board, that changes everything.

I suggest listening to Jason's interview (link originally supplied by MissHoneydripper in another thread) and rereading the NME story. Then see what you think.

IMO, there's a pretty strong spin in the NME story. They're wrapping some of Jason's quotes around preconceptions of their own, rather than reporting on what he actually said ... and didn't say.

That's not to say I'm not crossing my fingers — hoping against hope? — for the possibility of some full-blown Zep activity down the road B)

I suggest listening to Jason's interview (link originally supplied by MissHoneydripper in another thread) and rereading the NME story. Then see what you think.

IMO, there's a pretty strong spin in the NME story. They're wrapping some of Jason's quotes around preconceptions of their own, rather than reporting on what he actually said ... and didn't say.

That's not to say I'm not crossing my fingers — hoping against hope? — for the possibility of some full-blown Zep activity down the road B)

Yeah I was skeptical at first.

But they prod further and further into his reasons for leaving Foreigner and I think it holds up pretty well.'

Gonna go see Foreigner on Thursday...He's still with them right!?

It was the writer, not Jason who mentioned "new Led Zeppelin record". Jason, Jimmy, and JPJ are working together. That's it. Robert Plant is not in the studio with them. It's not a new Zeppelin record. It's a Page, Jones, Bonham collaboration. The only question is who will actually sing. In all likelihood that's already been decided, just not formally announced. But it won't be Robert Plant. I imagine the announcement will be forthcoming shortly, as the cat's already out of the bag that they're working on stuff. They won't wait too long. I'm sure they'd prefer an exciting announcement (Like at an awards show perhaps) than a confirmation of leaked news to the press. :beer:

It was the writer, not Jason who mentioned "new Led Zeppelin record". Jason, Jimmy, and JPJ are working together. That's it. Robert Plant is not in the studio with them. It's not a new Zeppelin record. It's a Page, Jones, Bonham collaboration. The only question is who will actually sing. In all likelihood that's already been decided, just not formally announced. But it won't be Robert Plant. I imagine the announcement will be forthcoming shortly, as the cat's already out of the bag that they're working on stuff. They won't wait too long. I'm sure they'd prefer an exciting announcement (Like at an awards show perhaps) than a confirmation of leaked news to the press. :beer:

Could be the MTV Video Music Awards Los Angeles (via satellite) in September or MTV Europe Music Awards Liverpool UK November 2008 perhaps?

None of us know for sure. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Robert could be involved. Robert just may surprise us all. :D

Archived