SBDs from LA

Hey everybody, I was just wondering how come there are no soundboards at all from any LA Forum show. (besides what was used for HTWWW). It's kind of funny because I was wanting to listen to a better quality 1971 show and put on the Orlando one and I asked myself how come there's no soundboards from LA on that tour and 72, and 73 and 75 and 77. ha. although I think there are fragments for the May 31st 73 show there aren't any bootleg sbds from LA. Maybe Pagey has them all and planning a huge live LA release (only in my dreams).

Well anyway, I just wanted to hear fellow zep fans' thoughts about this.

Jimmy still has a number of unreleased soundboards from the 70s, but they simply weren't inclined to tape every show.

I'm ready for another one of those unreleased ones

A lot of work was done on the Knebworth '79 tapes for that segment of the dvd release

and there was some talk of a 25th anniversary release but obviously it never happened.

Something from the first tour of Japan or something from the summer tours of 70-71 would be brilliant.

Maybe Pagey has them all and planning a huge live LA release (only in my dreams).

Unfortunately, apart from LA and Long Beach 72, no other Los Angeles multi-tracks exist. Check the photos from every other Los Angeles gig that the band did from 1969-1977, and look for Bonham's bass drum. If there's no extra mic on it, there was no multi-track being made. LA and Long Beach 1972 are the only California gigs that have that extra mic on it. Without it, you can guarantee they weren't professionally recording.

Here are the shows that were professionally multi-tracked by the band, all of which feature the extra mic on the kick drum:

Royal Albert Hall 1970

Osaka 1971 (photos show extra mics onstage-> but it's not confirmed that multi-tracks really exist)

Los Angeles and Long Beach 1972

Southampton 1973

Madison Square Garden 1973

Earls Court 1975

Knebworth 1979

That's it. Everything else out there are just 2-track soundboards made from the mixing desk, or the simple audio rips from the TV/radio or other inhouse performances they did. Some would make for a nice release, I'm sure. But the problem is that Page wouldn't be able to edit them like he has done to most every other tape he's released. You just can't do that with 2-track tapes. It's like trying to re-mix your favorite album using your cassette copy of it. So, it's almost guaranteed that you'll only see those tapes pop up as bootlegs, as they have been over the years.

If the Osaka 1971 shows really were professionally multi-tracked, we can only hope that Page would leave the shows alone and release them as is. But given his history and habit of doing things like removing some of the cover songs in the medleys and editing Plant's vocals and his own solos to make them sound "perfect", again we would probably be better off hoping for the raw tracks to leak instead of holding out for some "re-working" of what were already perfect shows as they were.

I think it's pretty clear that they were recording off the soundboard for ALL of the '73, '75 and '77 shows. Record Landover but not LA? Record Nassau but not LA? No. They exist. They must. Who has them is the question

Yes, it's presumed that they have soundboards for all of the 73-80 performances. But those are just raw recordings from the mixing desk. Those are not the same as multi-tracked professional recordings. It is the multi-tracks which would end up on an official release, not the raw soundboards. You can edit and mix multi-tracks, you cannot edit or mix soundboards. They are what they are, exactly as they were recorded live off the board.

I'm sure there's a whole shit load of recordings we've never heard that will be released in the future.

Look closely to all the official releases... they've put something out every 2-4 years since 1990... Rationale: wait till everyone wants it, then release it. Supply and demand really. There's no way in hell they would release everything they had at once (a'la what they claimed with the 2003 DVD). I wouldn't believe the "this is everything" spiel for a minute... there's a 75% chance they said that to build future demand. It's guaranteed income for the group, without them having to look like assholes on tour like the Rolling Stones.

I'm sure there's a whole shit load of recordings we've never heard that will be released in the future.

Look closely to all the official releases... they've put something out every 2-4 years since 1990... Rationale: wait till everyone wants it, then release it. Supply and demand really. There's no way in hell they would release everything they had at once (a'la what they claimed with the 2003 DVD). I wouldn't believe the "this is everything" spiel for a minute... there's a 75% chance they said that to build future demand. It's guaranteed income for the group, without them having to look like assholes on tour like the Rolling Stones.

I'd say the fan base is quite adequate, just look at the generational span of this fan site. B)

Rumor has it that either a Bath festival soundboard or multitrack mix-down is floating around in some trading circles.

That opens a reasonable amount of hope for a big release in the near future, as that was said a while back about the Southampton mix-down, the difference is that the person who shared with the world that multitrack, is incredibly kind and friendly, we don't know who has the Bath festival SBD to be certain.

It was said that it was filmed with incorrect exposure and was scrapped.

It wasn't scrapped completely, it was dispersed and now the film exists in private collections (many of them), and some companies own the films, it's just about the most complicated piece of footage known to Led Zeppelin collectors.

In conclusion, it surely exists, but it's extremely controversial.

And no, neither me nor my buddies have seen it......

But we can at least dream of seeing this on pro-shot, right?

406.jpg

Oh did I forgot to mention most of us here have probably seen the little piece of footage circulating from this festival......

i think this might interest everyone in consideration for the LA 77 sbds

http://starship.gotdns.com/zeppelin/beauty....jsp?R_idx=1177

it doesn't sound like millard's tape

It isn't Millard's tape. It's a fragment of the soundboard of the theremin and violin bow solo from the "For Badge Holders Only" show (6/23/77), from a tape which Jimmy Page had given to a laser operator working for Showco, so that he could cue up the effects for the bow solo at the 79 Knebworth shows properly.

It came from Page's own copy of the soundboard from the show. Which proves the obvious, that the band were taping their own shows, that Page was getting copies delivered to him, and that he himself was actually listening to them (rather than getting them and just filing them away). Also, in that he seems to have picked that specific show to give a sample from obviously meant that he was also aware of how good that particular show was.

In any case, it still follows with the posts here. The fragment is from a soundboard, not a multi-track. There are no 1977 multi-tracks, but there are 100% guaranteed raw soundboards from all shows the band gave from 1973-1980. But the question is not about their existence, the question is about whether or not anyone outside of the band's camp has copies of the soundboards. Obviously some people do, otherwise we wouldn't have all of the 75 and 77 boards that have been slowly popping up. As well as the 1980 and 1973 boards that were originally stolen from Page way back when and put onto bootlegs.

It isn't Millard's tape. It's a fragment of the soundboard of the theremin and violin bow solo from the "For Badge Holders Only" show (6/23/77), from a tape which Jimmy Page had given to a laser operator working for Showco, so that he could cue up the effects for the bow solo at the 79 Knebworth shows properly.

It came from Page's own copy of the soundboard from the show. Which proves the obvious, that the band were taping their own shows, that Page was getting copies delivered to him, and that he himself was actually listening to them (rather than getting them and just filing them away). Also, in that he seems to have picked that specific show to give a sample from obviously meant that he was also aware of how good that particular show was.

Thanks for your info! I had no idea that this existed and i just keep hoping it will some way be released.

Oh did I forgot to mention most of us here have probably seen the little piece of footage circulating from this festival......

What footage? The seconds long grainy audience shot that is referred to here?:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/zep.html

Or some other footage?

The footage in the Whole Lotta Love promo from 1997 has since turned out to not have been from Bath as some had thought, but really from the Berlin and Honolulu 1970 footage.

The Millard tapes from '77 are awesome and I constantly thrash Listen To This Eddie and For Badgeholders but I think Soundboards of these shows would be great, imagine listening to those versions of No Quarter in SBD quality. :o

The Millard tapes from '77 are awesome and I constantly thrash Listen To This Eddie and For Badgeholders but I think Soundboards of these shows would be great, imagine listening to those versions of No Quarter in SBD quality. :o

Yes I've dreamed of this, especially early on, now I'm certainly very happy with the way the sound, but would especially help during piano only parts.

Jimmy should release 'official' bootlegs, I mean shit those '77 LA shows are so good why would you want to edit them?

Edit: But alas this would never happen as Jimmy is never intent on keeping a release unedited, especially when it comes to his solos.

I agree...with all due respect to Page, Shirley and their crew, all the overobsessive tinkering they'd do with the LA '77 shows would only fuck 'em up IMO. These shows are classics in their own right...and personally I don't think if any soundboards ever emerged -at least of the Millard recorded shows (June 21st/23rd/25th/27th) that they'd even compare to Mike the Mike's fucking stellar audience tapes. (SBDS of the 22nd or 26th, on the other hand, would be entirely welcome...) I've always said a good audience tape trumps a dry soundboard any day...listening right now to the "Four Source Merge" of the NY June 11/77 show...IMO the SBD snippet we have doesn't even come close to the AUD source that runs from "TSRTS" to "Kashmir". Put up the bass on yer EQ a little bit and that source kicks ass...too bad the taper only had a 120 in. tape (I mean, he should have known Zeppelin's gonna do three hours...)

What I don't get is, really, who does Page think he's fooling by editing/patching in other sources, etc? I really don't think Zep fans are that picky...I'm sure most of us are savvy enough to know that they weren't always 100% perfect onstage...Jimmy's insistence on blatantly rewriting history when it comes to this stuff IMO tarnishes Zep's live reputation more than just leaving things raw and as-is...YMMV, of course.

Archived