Fool in the Rain

BlackDog71

Other than Bonham's fantastic drums on "Fool in the Rain"........ I can't get myself into this song. I find it too bubble gummy and cheesy. It's not Zeppelin to me. Plant's voice is also very mediocre (at least to me) and Robert Plant is anything BUT mediocre. To me...the only worthwhile part to listen to is from about 3:41-3:51. Page's solo is pretty good too, but the lyrics and general annoyance keeps me from saying I "like" this song.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on this song. Like or hate, let me know the reasons why. I am curious how others feel about it.

Other than Bonham's fantastic drums on "Fool in the Rain"........ I can't get myself into this song. I find it too bubble gummy and cheesy. It's not Zeppelin to me. Plant's voice is also very mediocre (at least to me) and Robert Plant is anything BUT mediocre. To me...the only worthwhile part to listen to is from about 3:41-3:51. Page's solo is pretty good too, but the lyrics and general annoyance keeps me from saying I "like" this song.

I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on this song. Like or hate, let me know the reasons why. I am curious how others feel about it.

Hmmm, why do you think it's bubble gummy (actually I didn't totally get what you meant with this) and cheesy? Because of the samba beat?

I personally like it and find the whistle in there very amusing.

About "It's not Zeppelin to me", I always think there has never been a "standard sound" for Zeppelin, as they were very versatile. They could jump from one thing to another, and that's something very exciting.

And may I ask what's your problem with the lyrics? The lyrics, IMO, are definitely not cheesy.

Hmmm, why do you think it's bubble gummy (actually I didn't totally get what you meant with this) and cheesy? Because of the samba beat?

About "It's not Zeppelin to me", I always think there has never been a "standard sound" for Zeppelin, as they were very versatile. They could jump from one thing to another, and that's something very exciting.

And may I ask what's your problem with the lyrics? The lyrics, IMO, are definitely not cheesy.

Indeed.

The beauty with Zeppelin is that they didn't have a definative 'sound', so no song was guaranteed to sound like any other. To some, it's a spanner in the works, to others, it's a pleasant surprise.

I'm not a massive fan of FITR - though I enjoy it enough.

Love it. Great song, lots of fun. Just read this in an old Plant interview from 83':

"Musically, Zeppelin wasn't safe, but we had such a following that virtually everything was accepted... except people always wanted "Dazed And Confused" and didn't want "Fool In The Rain".

I would have rather heard "Fool In The Rain" at o2 than "Dazed And Confused".

The samba beat is good, but for some reason, the lyrics just bother me. The lyrics just don't speak to me. When I said it's "not Zeppelin" i meant that i just don't like the song like i do the rest of their catalog. You are 100% right about them not having a "standard song." I should have clarified what i said.

I consider it the best song on an otherwise mediocre album.

Interesting. It's rare that i hear or see anyone take this stance.

Personally....I like "In The Evening" "Carouselambra" and "I'm Gonna Crawl" better.

I have begun to find the second half of the song as better (around Bonham's explosive drums and Jimmy's solo). Maybe it's going to take time for me. It's happened that way with a few other Zeppelin tunes.

I have always enjoyed the song and I feel it is light, vibrant, humorous and edgey - much like the rest of the disc. When I say edgey, I mean no one would expect a song like this (along with South Bound Suarez, Hot Dog, etc.) after the heaviness and seriousness that the band had while making Presence. The song almost feels like it could have been on Houses Of The Holy. Just another side of the multi-faceted Led Zeppelin :) !

but for some reason, the lyrics just bother me. The lyrics just don't speak to me.

Interesting, I've always found the lyrics of Fool in the Rain very very cleverly written. while the sound of song being light and humorous, and the lyrics seem to be funny at the first sight, later if you think of the metaphors he used there, you'll realize Robert Plant was playing with the words again.

Oh, maybe it's just me being a literature student and having read into his lyrics too much. :lol:

One of my favourites :D

Biggest reason is how phenomenal John sounds. I love to hear the isolated drum track... amazing.

And the fact that I love Latin/Brazilian music adds to the whole listening pleasure.

I love the song and the lyrics, put me in a good mood :D

I agree. Fool In The Rain, as well as South Bound Saurez, are my fav songs from this album. They both put me in a great mood and for some strange reason, make me want to dance (and I hate dancing). I find the cover art to fit the mood of the album.

I love how Zep were so diverse and unique. It's what makes them a legendary band, and a big part of why they're my fav.

while i respect your opinion blackdog, i must say that this is one of my favorite zep tunes. plants' vocals are great, but it is truly a team song, where everybody shines, making it an unforgettable track. i much prefer it on the radio in the car to some of the other overplayeds. i also have two friends who share a certain rule with me: while driving, if fool in the rain comes on and we are close to a stoplight, we get out and samba for the drumbreak.

try it!

I love Fool In The Rain. First time I heard it, I didn't even think it was Led Zeppelin, because it sounded so different from what I had heard of them.

But that's the great thing about them, they had the ability to switch it up and do different genres/styles of music and it never seemed forced.

I agree. Fool In The Rain, as well as South Bound Saurez, are my fav songs from this album. They both put me in a great mood and for some strange reason, make me want to dance (and I hate dancing). I find the cover art to fit the mood of the album.

I love how Zep were so diverse and unique. It's what makes them a legendary band, and a big part of why they're my fav.

I agree. :D There are far too many bands who stick with one primary sound or are afraid to change as their fans may not embrace it. That can't be said of Zeppelin of course. B):)

Imo, that song along with the vibe of that album, were going to lead them into world touring and would have been a really good shifting of gears in regards to the music industry of the 80s.

I totally agree with you middlezep.

Robert's solo work is an extension of this song, in my opinion.

Imo, that song along with the vibe of that album, were going to lead them into world touring and would have been a really good shifting of gears in regards to the music industry of the 80s.

It's too bad they didn't, it would have made the early eighties music a little better. Not all early 80's music bad, but not a lot of it good until 1984/85 (at least not in my opinion).

I have to agree that the samba beat at the middle of the song makes it chessy, but its an alright song.

Archived