Food

zoso13zeppelin

I've been making crumpets for long time. Recently, I came across a recipe that had baking soda in the recipe. It made me curious. What would baking soda do to them? My are fine the way they are but I'm willing to try the baking soda if it doesnt drastically change the taste.

I've been making crumpets for long time. Recently, I came across a recipe that had baking soda in the recipe. It made me curious. What would baking soda do to them? My are fine the way they are but I'm willing to try the baking soda if it doesnt drastically change the taste.

Baking soda is a chemical leavening agent that causes the batter to rise when the crumpets are baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already present in the batter as a result of creaming the mixture.

Baking soda reacts with the baking powder in the crumpet recipe to produce carbon dioxide, which causes the dough to rise even more while it is baking in the oven. Baking soda also neutralizes acids in the recipe. So baking soda causes a double-acting rising process, one that happens while mixing the batter, and one that occurs during baking in the oven.

www.joyofbaking.com/bakingsoda

www.seasonedwithlove.com/crumpets_for_tea

Baking soda is a chemical leavening agent that causes the batter to rise when the crumpets are baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already present in the batter as a result of creaming the mixture.

Baking soda reacts with the baking powder in the crumpet recipe to produce carbon dioxide, which causes the dough to rise even more while it is baking in the oven. Baking soda also neutralizes acids in the recipe. So baking soda causes a double-acting rising process, one that happens while mixing the batter, and one that occurs during baking in the oven.

How to make pie crust?I read th directions in my cookbook but i still can't make them right.

Do you have a recipe to make the doe Eternal light?

here's mine:

11/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon shortening

add salt and

2 teaspoons of water

Knead into a doe

use the rolling pin

What you think?

Thanks Eternal Light. I"ll try it next time I make crumpets.

How to make pie crust?I read th directions in my cookbook but i still can't make them right.

Do you have a recipe to make the doe Eternal light?

here's mine:

11/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon shortening

add salt and

2 teaspoons of water

Knead into a doe

use the rolling pin

What you think?

Marie Callender makes one of the best pie crusts that I have eaten; I found the recipe on another message board. Butter flavors Marie's pie crust and gives it a golden appearance. Shortening, vinegar and ice water in the dough produce a tender and flaky crust. Including a teaspoon of sugar gives it a slight sweetness, and the egg makes the surface of the crust glossy and smooth.

Once you have made and chilled the dough, you use the rolling pin to shape it on a lightly floured surface. Usually I cover the surface with wax paper so the dough is less likely to stick and fall apart when it is transferred to the pie dish. You can move the wax paper with the flattened dough to the pie plate, and then quickly turn it upside down over the pie plate, so it all stays together.

Marie Callender's Pie Crust Recipe:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup shortening

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg yolk

2 teaspoons ice water

1/2 teaspoon vinegar

Beat together the butter and shortening until smooth and creamy and chill until firm.

Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.

Using a fork, cut the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients, until the mixture has a consistent texture.

Mix egg yolk, ice water, and vinegar into the dough, then form it into a ball and refrigerate it for 1 hour so that it will be easier to work with.

frenchfood.about.com/od/breadandpastry/r/basicpastry

Edited by eternal light

Well...It ended up being a can of vanilla frosting... :P

Sandra Lee would be most proud of me... :lol:

It's cocktail time! I love some of her tips and everything, but she's so annoying. And her "tablescapes", while beautifully done, are far too labor-intensive for a simple dinner. If you entertain every single weekend, I can see it but if you're just making a pot roast for the family, you're not going to put all that crap on your table. You can't even see the plates!