Discovering Led Zeppelin

MightyZep

Ugh, I feel like a loser. Everyone else got introduced to Led Zep by a cool uncle or a cool cousin or older brother...I got introduced to it by my dad :lol:

My brother was too busy listening to Creed and Green Day. And if my uncle lived up in in Jersey instead of Arizona, He'd probably show me Led Zep. He was into that, or so I've been told.

Lol! Don't worry, my dad has shown me plenty of music too. He just missed the boat on Led Zeppelin with me some how and the cousins took over. HOWEVER he did show me Smashing Pumpkins and the Beatles! B)

When I was about 9 or 10, my older brother was listening to them on a cassette tape someone made for him and the song was "Bonzo's Montreaux". It was a different sounding song, so it got me interested in them. However, when I saw them at "Live Aid" (although the performance wasn't that great) that really got me hooked for life, LOL.

Were you at Live Aid too?

Well, it was when I entered the university and began to get into rock. A music store owner who has his shop near our campus introduced me to all kinds of music. One day I went there and looked for some german music (as I was learning German).

I picked up Physical Graffiti and asked him "Is this a german band?" And he said:"No, English." I was like "oh interesting, an english band with the name Zeppelin?" so I bought the CD. It didn't take me long to go out and search for their other albums. ;)

Mum and Dad, 1997, Remasters, Disc 2, Track 7 - Trampled Underfoot. Once I got over the shame of having both parents trying to recreate their dance moves from '75 (which they still, sadly, pull off), I snuck the thing upstairs and it blew this little then 12 year-old's mind.

A college friend introduced me to the REAL Led Zeppelin a couple of ears ago. I'd always been somewhat of a fan, just really hearing the stuff on the radio.

One day after class, we had got to talking about music and realized we had a lot of the same tastes. She asked me if I had ever seen The Song Remains the Same. I said no. Her response, "Oh my God, we have to watch it right now."

I had nothing to do that day, so we went to her apartment and watched the film while smoking a bowl (or two...or three...).

I was immediately struck by the performance, the fantasy sequences (especially Jimmy's....omg), and everythign about the band. It was life-changing. I've been a rabid fan ever since...haha

A college friend introduced me to the REAL Led Zeppelin a couple of ears ago. I'd always been somewhat of a fan, just really hearing the stuff on the radio.

One day after class, we had got to talking about music and realized we had a lot of the same tastes. She asked me if I had ever seen The Song Remains the Same. I said no. Her response, "Oh my God, we have to watch it right now."

I had nothing to do that day, so we went to her apartment and watched the film while smoking a bowl (or two...or three...).

I was immediately struck by the performance, the fantasy sequences (especially Jimmy's....omg), and everythign about the band. It was life-changing. I've been a rabid fan ever since...haha

What do you mean by the "REAL" Led Zeppelin?

There must be loads of these threads coz I swear that I have said this before..but hey...

Erm well I got the Mothership CD free with MOJO as a sunscription thing, and I listened to it.

I remember the first song was STH becuase when my mum deicided to read the track list she shreeked "omg I know that song!!!" (being Stairway) so she made me listen to it first and I was like "shit..this is great stuff!"

And it continued from then on....

What do you mean by the "REAL" Led Zeppelin?

I just meant Led Zeppelin as a whole. The band beyond "Whole Lotta Love" and "Rock and Roll." For instance, I remember being absolutely blown away by Jimmy playing the guitar with a bow. was completely convinced that he was some kind of wizard being able to make those sounds come out of a guitar. (Actually I'm still convinced he's some kind of magic man...haha). There's so much more to the band than just those few songs that you hear a million times on radio stations.

About 2 years ago I was reading some of my dad's books, and at a topic about Hippies, drugs and all that, they mentioned Led Zeppelin, among Aphrodite's Child, Shocking Blue, and others musicians of that era. Something immediately told me "check on Zeppelin!"...and that's what I did. I listen to some of their songs, and I had that strange feeling that I already knew those songs ever since I was born, though it was the first time I was listening to them.

Since then I've been a Led Zeppelin lover, and contrary to all the other musicians I love, Led were the only band I discovered by myself, and that makes them very special to me :D

It was one of the best days of my life

May 27, 2007

While going on a road trip with my cousins to the desert, to go dirt biking for the whole day.

While riding, he put Led Zeppelin Latter Days, and the first song I listened to was

'The Song Remains the Same', but I only remember hearing 'No Quarter'

Now everytime I listen to 'No Quarter' or any other Zeppelin song, I think of the desert, or the great outdoors.

I was being stupid one day washing clothes (Uugggg, chores), and I washed my IPod. BROKEN! Which at the time I was a metalhead. So I steal my dad's IPod (we like the same music). And I came across "Led Zeppelin - Over The Hills and Far Away". I had heard OF Led Zeppelin, but never had listened to them. So I listened to it and I fell in love with Zep. One thing LED to another, things were Googled, pictures were seen, stories were read, When I first saw Jimmy and I almost died. I could have swore my heart missed a beat when I saw his beautiful smile...

:wub:

I was being stupid one day washing clothes (Uugggg, chores), and I washed my IPod. BROKEN! Which at the time I was a metalhead. So I steal my dad's IPod (we like the same music). And I came across "Led Zeppelin - Over The Hills and Far Away". I had heard OF Led Zeppelin, but never had listened to them. So I listened to it and I fell in love with Zep. One thing LED to another, things were Googled, pictures were seen, stories were read, When I first saw Jimmy and I almost died. I could have swore my heart missed a beat when I saw his beautiful smile...

:wub:

This line made me laugh out loud. I really like the way you said that :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

My dad. I had listened to and liked Led Zeppelin III, but didn't see what made Zep so amazing until several months ago. He played Led Zeppelin I in the truck whilst driving me to school, and I was blown away.

However, I fancied Robert to some degree before I was a fan of the music.

My friend and I were cleaning out his parents closet and we wanted to sell a bunch of old records. Then we came across a Presence Album. At that time I was an ignorant teenager and had no idea who they were until my friend put it in a old record player and turned it to Achilles Last Stand and instantly became my favorite song.

well i remember standing in the back seat in 78 playing air guitar to 'It's been along time been along time been a lonely lonely lonely time(rock n roll.i was 4) while my mom was driving the 70 chevelle heading home from the hair salon.Being a big kiss fan I thought the pack of ketchup would be cool to use for fake blood to act like Gene Simmons.while trying to open it I was squeezing it and it squirted all in my mom's new hair do.wasnt a fun time when i got home...fast forward 8 years and visiting my cousin and we go to his freinds house who has 2 trash bags full of some green grass looking stuff in his room with other friends around in a circle...several of what I now know are called bongs(and joints) were circulating. "Whole Lotta Love" was playing.After several big tokes and alot of coughing I woke up on the floor with everyone laughing at me .It seemed like hours but Whole Lotta Love was still playing.Zep has been my favorite band every since...good times ;))

I had heard songs by them before WLL, Rock n Roll, Black Dog etc on the radio here and there, but never paid much attention to them and didn't even know who they were by or anything. I knew STH because it was always the last song of junior high dances and we'd always get pissed because you'd be slow dancing with the girl you liked and the solo and last verse would kick in and it was very hard to slow dance to.

Anyways fast forward to my freshman year in college. Went out to a party at a friend of a friends house. Smoked a bit too much pot before I went and was kind've hanging out in the corner in my own world, too high to socialize with people I didn't really know. Whole Lotta Love came on and I snapped out of my own little world and just became warped by the song. The middle section stampeding into the solo made my head spin and I absolutely loved it. I woke up the next morning and knew it was a Zep song but not which one. Asked my friend who was a huge Zep fan "whats that mind blowing song with the dark middle section?" and he knew that I had seen the light. He told me the name, recommended a few others to listen to and I've never looked back.

I'm extremely grateful for it too, used to only listen to current pop/rap music etc. Since I liked Zep so much I started exploring the older music, found Pink Floyd, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, etc and then from there started pushing into their influences and the old blues legends. Completely changed my musical tastes and Jimmy got me started playing guitar (better late than never). Good times.

Archived