KISS

Paul's was my favorite of the solo albums. My fave song was the last one on side one. At the time I was 14, I found it very Zeppelinesque, at least toward the end around 4:15, no doubt due to Carmine Appice's big drums. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmwrkW-ILo

Okay, now not so much! :lol:

LOL I never thought of anything Kiss sound Zeppelinesque, but musically on that song you're kind of right. But one have to ignore the cheesy (at least in comparison to Plant) vocals and lyrics from Paul.

Paul's and Ace's solo records were always my favourites of the four solo albums.

Good Morning:

There was an article on Paul a couple of months ago in the Toronto Star. It featured his painting that he does at his home. Paul and his wife had a baby girl in January. They also have a two year old son. Paul has another son, now 12, from his first marriage.

Juliet :coffee:

PS Paul performed the lead role in a production of Phantom of the Opera in Toronto about 10 years. I wish I had seen that show...

Good Morning:

There was an article on Paul a couple of months ago in the Toronto Star. It featured his painting that he does at his home. Paul and his wife had a baby girl in January. They also have a two year old son. Paul has another son, now 12, from his first marriage.

Hi Juliet!

Yeah, I remember talking with his fiancee (at the time) when I was backstage a few years ago. She and Peter's wife Gigi were actually in charge of putting the costumes in the trap cases. I'll never forget their collective "ugh" when they got a whiff of Gene's boots! :lol:

Yeah, Paul's girl's a sweetie. Watching her tape his wireless to his back when he was suiting up, you could tell she loves her man.

Hi E:

Wow that is a story....but I won't share the "boots" part..that will just be between you, me and the people who read this thread!!!

I wonder if you or any other member saw the final Stanley cup game? Don Cherry, Canadian hockey guru, was standing in the Detroit River holding an octupus. He gave this pep talk followed by a collage of hockey scenes while the KISS tune, I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night played in the background. It was exciting!!!!

PS I hope KISS will play at the John Labatt Centre in London someday. I'm not one for outdoor concerts that happen throughout this time of year...I can't stand those outdoor washroom facilites... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Gene Simmons, the band and Shannon Tweed are in Ottawa this week. I assume the band is playing at Bluesfest.

There were some Ottawa councillors that wanted to have a Shannon Tweed day because she lived there for awhile. It was voted no by the city council because she was a Playmate and only lived in the city for a few years....

KISS played a the Sania Bayfest last Friday. I didn't read a review but I saw the London punk band BOBNOXIOUS was one of the opening bands...I have heard Bob Reid and his bandmates...they are great...a super punk act!!!

Edited by Juliet

• 1 month later...

I do, only the live albums really though. They sound so much better than the studio stuff. I mean, how about those epic versions of Black Diamond, 100,000 years, Cold Gin, God of Thunder, Shock Me on Alive and Alive II. They blow away they're studio counterparts.

Hello;

Oshawa KISS fans were upset they didn't get a show...they caused a stir,eh?..they now have a show..this made the CTV and CBC news last eve...I fell asleep before Lloyd got to the story...

Juliet :zzz:

PS Lloyd is short for Lloyd Robertson..Canada's veteran icon news anchor

Edited by Juliet

I do, only the live albums really though. They sound so much better than the studio stuff. I mean, how about those epic versions of Black Diamond, 100,000 years, Cold Gin, God of Thunder, Shock Me on Alive and Alive II. They blow away they're studio counterparts.

I agree with you. Kiss Alive and Alive II are all I need from KISS. I never thought their studio albums were that great, except Destroyer.

I'll be seeing them in Philly but to be honest, I'm only going since my friend is dying to see them. I prefer to keep the '96 reunion as my only Kiss show. So be it.

I saw them on that same tour, in Chicago. I have to admit it was a fun show.

Calling KISS: ALIVE a live album is a stretch though. I have the shows on bootleg. Eddie Kramer and the boys did half of what you hear in the studio. Crowd cheers were dubbed in.

I was at the ALIVE II show at the Forum in 1977. The album is again not an accurate representation of the event. Some songs were from soundchecks, some were from the spring tour in Japan. Crowd cheers were again dubbed in. As for the studio tracks on side 4, Ace wasn't even on them (except for Rocket Ride) it was Bob Kulick.

Great live albums both, so long as you are willing to suspend belief in what "live" really means.

Calling KISS: ALIVE a live album is a stretch though. I have the shows on bootleg. Eddie Kramer and the boys did half of what you hear in the studio. Crowd cheers were dubbed in.

Great live albums both, so long as you are willing to suspend belief in what "live" really means.

I'd like to raise the contemporary question of is calling Kiss "Kiss" also not a stretch? (Calling The Who "The Who?" Calling the 02 Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin?") In each instance I have settled upon "approximation or

evolution of the original". The Rolling Stones proved more problematic, as the founder has been dead for 40+

years, "the new guy" - Ronnie - has been in the band 30+ years and Daryl Jones more than 13 years. I'd say they are certainly an evolution of the original, the others are approximations of the original. Just my 2 cents.

It'll be even less Kiss soon enough. Gene and Doc are putting together their own official Kiss tribute band. They will tour as "Kiss Forever", while Gene and Paul hang up the greasepaint and settle into their roles as overseers of the brand. Tommy Thayer will be out on the fairway, and maybe Eric Singer will get back with Jake E Lee. I miss that guy!

I like Jake's style. Bark At The Moon is an all-time favorite of mine.

Ever check out Badlands? That's a kickass album if ever there was one!! Jake, Ray Gillen, Greg Chaisson and Eric Singer. I love that album!!! Gillen and Singer left Black Sabbath during the Eternal Idol sessions and hooked up with Jake. Sadly Ray died of AIDS related illnes in 1993. I had the privelidge of seeing them in a small Orange County club, and was lucky to have my elbows on the stage by Jake's pedalboard. They were a truly ass kicking band!! My ears rang for days!! :beer:

• 1 year later...

KISS guitarist Tommy Thayer has confirmed that the legendary rockers are heading back into the studio and plan to release a new album before the end of the year. And he reveals it will follow much the same format as 2009s Sonic Boom which was a massive success on both sides of the Atlantic.

Produced by Paul Stanley. Headed to the studio in March.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

• 10 months later...

I think KISS even without theatricals could still be a good band with the music they have

I'm sure that's a huge part of what their appearance on Unplugged was all about but as I've mentioned, I lost interest in Kiss many years ago. They barely even register on my musical radar these days and when they do, it's purely for nostalgic reasons.

I'm sure that's a huge part of what their appearance on Unplugged was all about but as I've mentioned, I lost interest in Kiss many years ago. They barely even register on my musical radar these days and when they do, it's purely for nostalgic reasons.

First of all thank you for referring me to this thread, what your saying intrigues me though as I know many life long fans not people who got lost along the way, what are your feelings towards the reunion in 1996 then?

The first time I saw KISS was when they were touring Lick It Up, when they dropped the makeup.

Double whammy.

Damn your lucky was this in the uk?