Does Zep have the best Riffs in Rock n Roll

McSeven

I was listeing to a Rock historian on the web the other day. He basically said in a nutshell that All the best Rock riffs have all ready been used, and thats why Classic Rock is so revered than todays rock. He also in a vauge way said that Zep has the best riffs.

What do you all think. I think so. Zeps riffs have a certain dynamic twist, its kind of like Watching Kung-Fu. The flow is twisty and dynamic. Not just straight ahead.

Mc7

I was listeing to a Rock historian on the web the other day. He basically said in a nutshell that All the best Rock riffs have all ready been used, and thats why Classic Rock is so revered than todays rock. He also in a vauge way said that Zep has the best riffs.

What do you all think. I think so. Zeps riffs have a certain dynamic twist, its kind of like Watching Kung-Fu. The flow is twisty and dynamic. Not just straight ahead.

I have no idea what "Classic Rock" is but older rock n' roll is revered for a reason, it has been around long enough to achieve that status. Today's music is still new and hasn't had a chance to become revered yet. That doesn't mean there's nothing out there worthy of notice because there is. In fact, there's so much of it it's next to impossible to keep up with it all. "Today's rock" also sends very mixed signals. What is this "historian's" reference point for "today's rock"? Is it what's on commercial radio? If so, then no wonder he feels the way he does. In this day and age there is a much broader barometer one can use to sample music. If it's limited only to what's commercially successful I'd be put out too but thankfully there's many more resources for finding new music out there than that.

The pioneers of blues, big band, country, rockabilly, etc. helped to create the blueprint for rock n' roll, artists (including Led Zeppelin) have drawn inspiration from it for nearly 50 years now and the creative well still hasn't run dry. Did Led Zeppelin have the best riffs in rock? They were surely very inventive and creative but they also weren't the only ones willing to go out on a limb creatively. That sort of experimentation continues to this day, it didn't suddenly end somewhere along the way. Some want to try to put rock n' roll into some sort of box. One of those boxes is something some refer to as "Classic Rock" but to my ears, the progression of rock n' roll music isn't so easily categorized as there are still many artists out there that are continuing to push the creative envelope. That sort of innovation in rock n' roll hasn't stopped and considering how long it's already been in existence, it most likely never will.

Edited by Jahfin

Mc7

I've got nothing against modern music, but as a guitarist I think he's probably right. I'm not talking about a decline in the quality of modern music but specifically about rock guitar riffs and most of the best riffs have sadly been used up. It's very hard to come up with a riff that doesn't sound like something that's already been done. Bands of the 60s and 70s churned out hundreds of incredibly catchy and original guitar riffs, and as you get to the 80s onwards the number of really good riffs starts to decline. Off the top of my head I can only really think of a handful of genuinely brilliant riffs from this past decade - Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes, Plug In Baby by Muse and perhaps No One knows by Queens of The Stone Age. There maybe a few more decent riffs but it still won't compare to a list of great guitar riffs from the 60s and 70s.

I've got nothing against modern music, but as a guitarist I think he's probably right. I'm not talking about a decline in the quality of modern music but specifically about rock guitar riffs and most of the best riffs have sadly been used up. It's very hard to come up with a riff that doesn't sound like something that's already been done. Bands of the 60s and 70s churned out hundreds of incredibly catchy and original guitar riffs, and as you get to the 80s onwards the number of really good riffs starts to decline. Off the top of my head I can only really think of a handful of genuinely brilliant riffs from this past decade - Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes, Plug In Baby by Muse and perhaps No One knows by Queens of The Stone Age. There maybe a few more decent riffs but it still won't compare to a list of great guitar riffs from the 60s and 70s.

You also need to factor in that the rock of the 60s and 70s has evolved into different styles and the long guitar solos and jams aren't as common in music now. Doesn't mean it's any less interesting or relevant or whatever you want to say - just means it's moving forward.

Yes they do. As the 70's crash landed into 80's, suddenly the depth/inner knowledge to truly understand what music is was replaced by modern technology. Yes it was a challenge for the artists to seek true inspiration, but it was NOT impossible. I think the record companies have lot to do with misuse of music in the 80's and 90's. Therefore, generations of the 80's and 90's have not been able to create environment for the present to create some timeless riffs, as did the Blues artists, world artists for Zeppelin/others of that time.

Regardless of time, when artists cannot make strong connection/understand poetry/inner feelings of depth, what life is, they CANNOT come up with memorable riffs...this is true in past, present, and future.

Mc7

I dont think that all the riffs have been used up. Mind you zeppelin does have claim to many many great ones...but some "new" music does have really good ones like "seven nation army" or alot of whitestrpies stuff or even the Black Keys have some pretty ok ones...though jack white has been quoted as saying "Led Zeppelin owns the riff."

:D

And Yes, Zeppelin had the best riffs

I listen to a lot of music. There is still something about Zeps riffs that tug at my soul. From LZ1 to Presence. All the riffs are dynamic. When I listen to other bands. I would say that they have half great hooks and riffs in thier collection. The Stones would be after Zep. Today, I don't really hear alot of great Rock riffs at all.

What do you all think that Zep do with thier riffs that others can't?

Mc7

This is like saying that, "since there's already an E-Bay, the internet will never get any bigger or be any different"! ;)

Your favourite band or player will have the best Riffs...everytime.It comes down to what music means to you.

People will be influenced by what they hear,whether it be interviews on band members opinions on other bands,or just the ramblings of someone you or someone else holds in high esteem.

The Best Riffs are still to come,I think.

i really think zep have written the best riffs so far.

and percentage wise, man jimmy has surely done himself proud. i mean, other bands have a few, but each and every one of zeps songs are just so unique, so different from anybody else. when you think about it, it's an amazing accomplishment, and all done within such a short time.

whenever i hear people say that jimmy has nothing left, that his talent for writing has dried up, i think, jeeeeeez, HE'S ALREADY DONE IT!

Yes they do. As the 70's crash landed into 80's, suddenly the depth/inner knowledge to truly understand what music is was replaced by modern technology. Yes it was a challenge for the artists to seek true inspiration, but it was NOT impossible. I think the record companies have lot to do with misuse of music in the 80's and 90's. Therefore, generations of the 80's and 90's have not been able to create environment for the present to create some timeless riffs, as did the Blues artists, world artists for Zeppelin/others of that time.

Regardless of time, when artists cannot make strong connection/understand poetry/inner feelings of depth, what life is, they CANNOT come up with memorable riffs...this is true in past, present, and future.

Agreed, there was a decline, more waves than an empty vessel. Page and Plant still managed to churn out some amazing riffs during the 80s. Plant's first few solo albums with Robbie Blunt and Doug Boyle, as well as Page's work with The Firm and on Outrider were sure signs the riff was not dead! Just gotta keep digging! Like diamonds they are increasingly rare, but can still be prized out by a skilled prospector! ;)

A lot of time the next thing will get covered up in trash (or just not up to par stuff) that is floating around. Some times it get criticized and ridiculed as Led Zeppelin was at first before getting out to the real world. It all just depends on who, what, when and where.

There are only about a dozen truely "heavy" riffs in rock and Page owns at least half of them!

Hi 'chef free'

And John Paul Jones the other half, some of the rifts atributed to Page are in fact Joneses.

Regards, Danny

Without a doubt. NO other band can even come close to Zeppelin and their sound..they cannot be imitated. No one has a voice like Plant, plays a guitar like Page, Bass like Jones and drums like Bonham (may God rest his soul).

The best bands were the late sixties and seventies. These new bands of the 90's and on cannot hold a candle to that era..especially LZ.

I saw all the great bands in the 70's and Eddie Van Halen is probably 2nd best with Stevie Ray Vaughn coming in 3rd on guitar...but I honestly cannot think of anyone who can even begin to have a voice like Plant. These men had a connection like no other. And, unlike a lot of great bands, they supported each other as it was about the MUSIC. When Page would go into a long play the others just knew how to go with him and then they all came back together at the end of a song. It was beyond awesome to see. It was magic and I still carry the memories with me of seeing them.

In my opinion, Led Zeppelin riffs are definitely one of the best riffs in music. Generally speaking, I'm not sure. But I like Led Zeppelin riffs the most. "Whole Lotta Love", "Communication Breakdown", "Heartbreaker", "Immigrant Song", "Black Dog", "Kashmir" ... Just think about that.

Your favourite band or player will have the best Riffs...everytime.It comes down to what music means to you.

People will be influenced by what they hear,whether it be interviews on band members opinions on other bands,or just the ramblings of someone you or someone else holds in high esteem.

The Best Riffs are still to come,I think.

You are correct..it comes down to the music. But I disagree that the best riffs are yet to come. Zep RARELY did interviews, they kept that mystique which made us want to know more. I have said this before, only once in a lifetime does a band like this come along. It was them and it was the late 60's and 70's and the music is still going strong.

While there are really awesome bands out there that may come up with some great riffs, do you really think they can match Zep? I beg you to take a day play evrey CD you have of Zep with headphones on then let me know:-)

You are correct..it comes down to the music. But I disagree that the best riffs are yet to come. Zep RARELY did interviews, they kept that mystique which made us want to know more. I have said this before, only once in a lifetime does a band like this come along. It was them and it was the late 60's and 70's and the music is still going strong.

While there are really awesome bands out there that may come up with some great riffs, do you really think they can match Zep? I beg you to take a day play evrey CD you have of Zep with headphones on then let me know:-)

Hard to say - I don't think the best riffs have already happened. Who knows what talent is lurking in the future that could come up with something mind blowing. It's possible - we'll have to wait and see.

Hard to say - I don't think the best riffs have already happened. Who knows what talent is lurking in the future that could come up with something mind blowing. It's possible - we'll have to wait and see.

Great optimism:-) I like most of everyone on this web...am a huge music fan, and I wished that a new band would come out that blows me away even close to the way ZEP did. It would make going to concerts great again...I really try to listen to a lot of this new stuff and I just do not ultimately enjoy it. So I always go back to the classic R & R bands, and of course a LOT of Zep.

I do like a lot of the new country music and I like jazz and blues. Have a great weekend:-) TGIF

The best bands were the late sixties and seventies. These new bands of the 90's and on cannot hold a candle to that era..especially LZ.

While I agree that Led Zeppelin made an indelible impact on music that will be felt for a long time to come, I've found many, many other artists I like just as much and sometimes more than Zeppelin. I'm not talking about technical virtuosity or even the undeniable chemistry of a band like Zeppelin but music that moves me in general. No, there will never be another Led Zeppelin just like there will never be another Beatles or Bob Dylan and I'm perfectly ok with that. There's an entire world of music out there to discover and enjoy, I've never limited myself (and I'm not saying you have) to just one style or genre.