Right By You - Stephen Stills with Jimmy Page

Knebby

A discussion in another topic yesterday confirmed my suspicions - Chicago and I are the only ones who ever talk about this album because a lot of people don't know about it! I'm not suggesting that no-one else knows, but it is such a shame for any fan of Jimmy Page not to have this in their collection.

Jimmy recorded guitar for three tracks on this 1984 album in Sol Studios, Berkshire, and its some really wonderful and gloriously typical Jimmy work.

I love the whole album ( but then I'm a big fan of Stills anyway) - I played my cassette copy to death at the time, and managed to get a CD replacement a few years ago - not sure if this is still available to buy or not - Aqua said she managed to download it from Amazon yesterday for $6.90 and that is SO worth it.

It suffers a little from 80s production, and some will find some of the tracks maybe a little mawkish - one mate thinks his cover of Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" is abysmal, I really love it. :D But anyway - your biggest interest I'm sure will be in Jimmy's guitar work, and you will LOVE that.

pk689.jpg

pk694.jpg

These are the three tracks Jimmy plays on

pk690.jpg

pk691.jpg

pk692.jpg

I am ashamed.

2rqzptf.jpg

No joke. How did this escape me? I never heard a thing about it. Honestly. I've got over 200 boots I haven't even entered into what is a much larger catalog, and now this????

*turns in badge. cries in pillow*

;)

I am ashamed.

2rqzptf.jpg

No joke. How did this escape me? I never heard a thing about it. Honestly. I've got over 200 boots I haven't even entered into what is a much larger catalog, and now this????

*turns in badge. cries in pillow*

;)

You're not alone - I hadn't heard of it either :slapface:

:bagoverhead:

I'm happy to hear it's still available!!!! I love the Neil Young song he covers - I can imagine him doing it justice!

I don't think it was ever released in Oz.

I read an interview in Guitar World or something many years ago and Jimmy was taliking about it.

I've never heard it though but that will be rectified very shortly! :D

This album received harsh treatment and didn't sell at all, and was in the cut-out bin soon after it's release. In fact, it was pulled from the shelves so quickly, It's the only album by Stills I don't have.

Big...BIG Stephen fan here. B)

Since it's the 25th anniversary of it's release it's only proper to have a thread about this hidden gem. Thanks to Knebby for the initial spark.

An overview after innumerable listens shows how empathetic Jimmy is as a guitarist in this setting. His playing is unique and distinct on each of the songs Page contributes to.

50-50 is the opening track and has a Latin feel and groove to it. Graham Nash adds vocals with Stills, but it's Jimmy's solo at the end that lifts the song. It's a very melodic solo, somewhat in the Santana vein, but it's instantly recognizable as Jimmy with his overbends and twisted note selection. His sound is thick and treated with some echo.

Burning Heart is the second cut where Page adds his guitar and it's nasty. Rock and Roll licks against Stills' strong voice. Hard to beat. I love right before Page cuts loose, Stills proclaims " Talk about it James!"

Right By You is the album closer and it's a blues monster. Stills sings this song with full- on passion while Page lurks in the background laying licks around Stephen's voice. The song builds up to Page's guitar solo which gives me the chills every time I hear it. It sounds as though Jimmy is murdering his guitar with a machete. The emotion and torment are on full display. If you listen to this song and crank it up you'll understand.

50-50 is the opening track and has a Latin feel and groove to it

This is also the only track from the album included on the CSN Box Set.

csnboxset.jpg

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Page! That has a nice ring to it Bong-Man.

As mentioned, I downloaded this last night (it's also available for the same price on iTunes), and the Jimmy tracks in particular are real crackers (OK, I confess the other tracks I've only played once so far, but I liked them as I love Stills anyway). And now I have the album info, thanks to Knebby's scan! Thanks so much to you and Chicago for opening our eyes to this. :toast:

This is really worth getting.

I am glad this went Right by Me. Why did they waste time on on this drivel.

Maybe they would of sold a copy or two if they did something like this.

I'm sure Page and Stills didn't feel they were wasting their time. I'll take the 25 years of enjoying the music they produced at the time. Is it correct to say you just heard these songs for the 1st time? If so, it reminds of the music critics of the 70's that would slag off the latest Zeppelin album after one listen.

i know of this album but only by good fortune. an older friend of mine had it in his collection as he's a big csn&y fan and dug it out once to lend me cos of the page connection. this must have been 20 years ago at a guess.

if it hadnt have been for him i doubt i'd know of it as its very rarely mnentioned in books and discographies etc, if at all

I'm sure Page and Stills didn't feel they were wasting their time. I'll take the 25 years of enjoying the music they produced at the time. Is it correct to say you just heard these songs for the 1st time? If so, it reminds of the music critics of the 70's that would slag off the latest Zeppelin album after one listen.

Well if I'm not sure if they wasted their time, I am sure not gonna waste my 7 dimes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00123M9I...8535&sr=1-1

Archived