Have you ever been called a SHOW OFF?!

redeyedrichard

So we performed for free the other day at a friends wedding, it was an hour and a half's drive away with all our gear and equipment. Needless to say we had a great time performing. Me and my brother were playing with three other much older guys that we don't normally play with because we don't like their style...they are too stiff and regimented with the set. Me and Rob just like to jam a lot mid session because audiences love it when the band jams.

Anyway, to the point. I was really really getting into the rock and roll songs, as was my brother but he was behind the kit, so at the front of the stage with these three other stiff rigid guys I stood out like a sore thumb dancing around and jigging and really getting into my lead breaks. The audience loved it. Anyway afterwards this lady I know comes up to me and says she really loved the show, we performed great and everyone was dancing. Then she said "but you're a bit of a show off aren't you?" It hurt me really. She said it as if it was a joke but I think she did actually think that. I explained there is a huge difference between showing off and getting into the music and letting it become a part of you while performing.

Unfortunately that comment was all I could think about for the rest of the night. Anyone else been accused?

Not within music, but just in general, a few times.

But Rich my friend, how are you a showoff when you're on that stage purely to have fun and to make music the audience is to be entertained by.

If you're a showoff, then by definition, all musicians and, even further than that, all performers are showoffs then.

When on the stage, you perform, simple as that. And getting so involved in your music makes it even better.

Hi ReR! :wave: Yeah I agree with DeepBlackZepp and Reswati. When you're performing onstage, you're supposed to show off what you got. You're right, the lady probably said it in jest (though, it was tactless). I'm sure all great performing artists were accused of being a show-off at one point or another in their careers. Sometimes it's just sour grapes, mere envy. Wishing they could "break the ice" and win the audience over handily.

When I younger, (in Brooklyn), my pals and I used to play "touch football". It's just like "tackle" football, but without the tackle. Anyways, there were 6 of us: 2 girls and 4 guys. I was on the opposing team of the other girl (my best friend, I might add). Okay, the play started. She was about to receive the football from her team mate. It came sailing through the air, a perfectly spiraling (almost "hail, Mary!" type of pass). She was just about to receive it, eyes focused on the ball. She was not aware of all the rules of "touch" or any football. So anyway, the ball's coming right towards her waiting hands. I seized the moment. I snatched it into my arms and ran it to the correct endzone. She protested "Hey! That's not fair, cheater!" At that point, her team mates explained that I, within the rules of the game, "intercepted" the ball. That was fair. So she vented by cursing and spiking the ball right at me and hit me. At the same time, she whispered with eyes squinted, "[hisss] show-off!" I wanted to strangle her but restrained myself. I said, "but hey, not my fault you don't know the rules." Funny thing is, we made up within minutes and were best friends again. She apologized, I apologized and there was a big group-hug. It was like that old movie, "The Turning Point". C'est la vie :lol:

Don't let that idiotic comment ruin your excellent moment when you brought joy to many people and felt happy to have done it.

Oh Danny Boy, you sure know how to work my vanity! :wub:

Hi Ev,

No need to blush when the truth is told mate, and the "Sexy pic" on the other topic, well lets keep that between friends, but you do look rather dishy, errrr from a "Very Very Straight Backs to the Wall Boys" point of view i might hasten to add. :wub:

Regards, Danny

Hi Ev,

No need to blush when the truth is told mate, and the "Sexy pic" on the other topic, well lets keep that between friends, but you do look rather dishy, errrr from a "Very Very Straight Backs to the Wall Boys" point of view i might hasten to add. :wub:

Regards, Danny

That pic was "sexy"??? I had no idea!!! :hysterical:

I'd just had my locks shorn, and was in anything but a sexy mood!

Do appreciate the regards though.

Sweety. ;)

So you play jazz? ;):lol:

Very tastelessly that is.

Speaking of jazz drumming though...there's a book called "The Art of Bop Drumming" by John Riley which I found pretty useful in learning to play jazz. Anyone looking to learn should check it out. Even if you don't plan on playing much jazzy stuff, it helps to be well rounded.

Oh well, I've been called a lead drummer before by some conservative playing Country musicians in the past.

;) "Just play a strait beat"!!

My reply being

:sarcastic_hand: "I'm sorry, but that's as strait as I can get that song".

As I got older and more experienced I understand what they where saying, they just wanted me to play at their level of ability, on the same page as what they where used to hearing from the drummer, not be off some where else.

Now that I play a solo acoustic act, I don't have that problem.

"Overdrumming". These people want a beat keeper, not a drummer. They don't want any excitement from their percussionist. Personally I want the guy who's gonna throw in something that makes me say "Holy shit!"

Fortunately I've had that guy for 20 years! Thanks Ryan!

You fucking show off! ;)

At school we had a "music day" on which everybody brought their instruments to school. Being the most musically advanced out of everyone there, i was called a showoff multiple times. i explainedthe difference between being good and being a show off. so now i am a showoff and an asshole. :slapface:

Archived