David Bowie

Roxie

So I'm embarrassed to admit that I've only recently become enamored with all things Bowie. :bagoverhead:

Just curious if there is a definitive Bowie biography out there. I've checked Amazon, and the ones listed didn't really do anything for me. I just want to make sure I didn't bypass one that is actually a good one.

I don`t know of any books written about David Bowie but I can recommend three albums.

Ziggy Stardust

Aladdin Sane

and my personal favorite

Diamond Dogs.

Being a Rebel Rebel, I am Tom Nally`s Freak after all and Halloween Jack is my hero. B)

Hello:

David Bowie...one of my favourite artists...he was ill a few years ago...I assume he has recovered because he performed with Canadian band, Arcade Fire, at an event.

My favourite album is Ziggy Stardust. I also like Pinups-a compilation of tunes he covered.

Juliet :thumbsup:

Edited by Juliet

I never read any books specifically about David Bowie. There is one that came out recently that focus's on his "Berlin period" that I thumbed through that I may pick up eventually. I did read Angela Bowie's autobiography some time back. It's sort of like Pamela Des Barre's books, but Angela Bowie is far crazier.

Edited by kaiser

• 1 month later...

David Bowie kicks ass. One thing that Bowie and Zeppelin have in common is that they both were spread over many styles and were never limited to only one genre as most artists are(today at least).

Hi Page-ist,

Bowie also admitted that JPJ introduced him to smoking weed, he has a lot to answer for hey? :lol:

Was JPJ the Jean Genie? i wonder. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Na.

Hi Page-ist,

Bowie also admitted that JPJ introduced him to smoking weed, he has a lot to answer for hey? :lol:

Was JPJ the Jean Genie? i wonder. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Na.

Interesting little tid-bit. Seems like it would be the other way around, eh?

Space Oddity was written in 1970, supposedly after David Bowie had his first heroin trip. It was in 1969 when the members of Led Zeppelin were suprised to find that their cocain had some different effects. When Bonzo asked What the he'll the stuff was, Richard Cole replied, well I couldn't find any coce, so I got you some heroin. How do you like it?

Bowie was around for years though on the London scene before he hit it big, doing songs that went nowhere. He probably met JPJ pre Zep doing sessions. Page played on an early Bowie song called "I Pity The Fool" that's actually pretty good for a mid 60's R&B cover. Bowie claims Page showed him the chord progression that became the basis for "Space Oddity". I have him saying so in a Guitar World interview from about 10 years ago.

I've been trying to get into Bowie. I know songs here and there, but, as I just posted in another thread, as far as an album I don't know where to start. What really drew me to him though was his sound and style was way ahead of his time. When I first saw the Space Oddity video, I was like, what year was this....69!! WTF. This guy has to be from the future, or Mars lol.

Page played on an early Bowie song called "I Pity The Fool" that's actually pretty good for a mid 60's R&B cover. Bowie claims Page showed him the chord progression that became the basis for "Space Oddity". I have him saying so in a Guitar World interview from about 10 years ago.

Interesting bit of info! Thanks!

I love David Bowie! I love Ziggy Stardust, but I think I love "Low" and "Heroes" more because they were so innovative. I think his voice is better on the later albums also. In the Ziggy Stardust period his voice sounded a little too high pitched and squeaky at times, but in the later albums his voice has a richer quality.

Bowie was around for years though on the London scene before he hit it big, doing songs that went nowhere. He probably met JPJ pre Zep doing sessions. Page played on an early Bowie song called "I Pity The Fool" that's actually pretty good for a mid 60's R&B cover. Bowie claims Page showed him the chord progression that became the basis for "Space Oddity". I have him saying so in a Guitar World interview from about 10 years ago.

Mr. T's trademark

And Bobby Bland is known for that song. I couldn't find the Bowie/Page version.

I saw The Serious Moonlight Tour in '83 in Dallas. Robert was in attendance at that show (Robert was in town warming up for his upcoming tour...)

"Let's Dance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzXiyCpwj4

Let's dance

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues

Let's dance to the song they're playin' on the radio

Let's sway . . . under the moonlight, this serious moonlight

If you say run, I'll run with you

"Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNpkd_cRjH0

See these eyes so green

I can stare for a 1,000 years

Colder than the Moon

We'll it's been so long

And I've been putting out Fire

With Gasoline

Edited by The Rover

And Bobby Bland is known for that song. I couldn't find the Bowie/Page version.

Bowie's version was recorded under Davey Jones & The Mannish Boys. David Jones being Bowie's real name, he changed it because of that gnome in The Monkees became popular at that time.

• 2 years later...

In case the Topic Creator comes back, there is now the ultimate David Bowie Book available for purchase from Genesis Publications. We all know how nice Jimmy's book turned out! So I've heard, wasn't lucky enough to get a copy myself. :( This information was taken directly from the Genesis website.

The signed limited edition book by David Bowie and Masayoshi Sukita:

Genesis is proud to announce SPEED OF LIFE, the new publication born out of a 40-year collaboration between musician, actor and producer, David Bowie, and photographer and designer, Masayoshi Sukita. In their fine bound edition, the authors have opened up Sukita's archives to assemble a 300-page photo essay which, captioned with their own recollections and memories, traces the development of Bowie's remarkable career from 1972 to the present day.

Originally released on the 1980 album Scary Monsters, parts 1 and 2 of 'It's No Game' are selected for inclusion in this edition by David Bowie - presented on a picture disc bearing two portraits from his iconic "Heroes" photo sessions. Exclusive to the SPEED OF LIFE limited edition, this rare vinyl record pressing is inset into the inner back cover of the book.

Published in a craftsman bound limited edition of 2,000 copies.

Price 360.00 GBP (554.00 USD).

How cool is that? A vinyl record in the book too. Looks like you can buy it now, so David Bowie fans head over to Genesis before they sell out. :)

My favorite Bowie song here; a very nice live performance. A one of a kind voice and talent.

"Changes" -(hope the annoying long commercial doesn't show up in front of this video)

EDIT!! I found the same video, better quality audio, crisp visuals and NO Commercial....Win. :) missy

Edited by missytootsweet