David Bowie

Roxie

11 hours ago, Strider said:

Yeah, I didn't even know he had cancer all this time. That's why my first reaction was it must be a mistake. He always looked so good in the photos...healthy and vibrant. Shocked me to the core that he really was dead.

Bowie's first truly great album...

Exactly how I feel, on all you said.  I thought it was some kind of bad joke when I heard this morning. Tears have been shed today.

On Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Wolfman said:

He's on the top of my bucket list but I'm afraid he will never tour again (since he had a heart attack on his last tour in 2004). Sigh.

I'm sorry you never got to see him in concert, Wolfman. He was always an interesting performer and one of the great singers of our age. His bands and setlists weren't always topnotch ut he himself was always riveting to watch.

Unlike other people perhaps even some on here, I would never entertain the thought of joking about someone's death.

Iva Davies of Flowers that would later become Icehouse was into Bowie back in the day.

Edited by Reggie29

Another album that sort of fell thru the cracks, but holds up astonishingly well 23 years later, is "Black Tie White Noise". This album also features Mick Ronson's last collaborations with Bowie before Ronson's death in 1993.

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

After everything that's happened over the last 24 hours or so, 'Lazarus' seems so beautifully tragic. A poignant final testament.

This, and with his last album as his 'parting gift' is a beautiful and remarkable story. It says a lot about him and his dedication to the arts and his fans.  What more could anyone ask for.  I hope that he knew how important he is to the world. 

On 1/12/2016 at 10:11 PM, Strider said:

Another album that sort of fell thru the cracks, but holds up astonishingly well 23 years later, is "Black Tie White Noise". This album also features Mick Ronson's last collaborations with Bowie before Ronson's death in 1993.

I always liked Black Tie White Noise...that was the first Bowie CD I actually bought, as a matter of fact. It's funky and jazzy, not really a bad song on it. I can't remember at the moment if I heard the rest of David's 90's stuff (Outside, etc) but based on what I did hear BTWN was really the last Bowie album I liked until Blackstar. I remember when a friend of ours -bigger Bowie fan than myself or my wife- picked up The Next Day and brought it over to crank up on the big stereo and we didn't even finish listening to it, we weren't impressed...

Blackstar is a fucking masterpiece, though. I bought it on Saturday, having hear good things about it ahead of time, but hadn't even gotten round to listening to the damn thing until after I heard about Bowie's passing. I mean, now that we know what it's all about it seems just about impossible not to associate the album with Bowie's death, but, man, what a way to go out. Consciously writing about yer impending doom that way and saying goodbye at the same time...as far as artistic statements go Blackstar is pretty hard to beat.

Here's some good news. Let's hope that it is true. :smiley_pray:

BOWIE PLANNED POSTHUMOUS RELEASES

NEWS / MARTIN KIELTY / 25 JAN 2016

Anthology series won’t start appearing until next year

David Bowie made plans for a series of anthology releases before his death earlier this month, it’s been revealed.

He died of cancer, aged 69, on January 10 – just after the release of his albumBlackstar.

Producer Tony Visconti later said that the pair had hoped to make one more album before the disease ended his life, and several tracks had reached the demo stage.

Now Newsweek reports a source close to the late icon discussing “a long list of musical releases that Bowie planned before he died.”

It’s not known whether the anthologies will contain previously-unreleased material, but the source says Bowie divided his work into eras and didn’t necessarily want it to be launched in chronological order.

The first title in the series isn’t expected until next year, however. Archivist Kevin Cann says: “Bowie only gave you just enough of everything to still keep you hungry.Blackstar has only come out recently, which is enough for the moment. There’s plenty of time for other things.”

Meanwhile, it appears unlikely that any form of biography will ever be released with the subject’s input. Penguin Books had been working on a project to be called Bowie:  Objects, featuring 100 items chosen and explained by him – but a spokesman says the firm are “not expecting it to happen.” An autobiography begun with Cameron Crowe in the 1970s was abandoned before the end of the decade.

Source: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2016-01-25/bowie-planned-posthumous-releases

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wanted to debate the following without starting yet another bloody thread, so here goes. It's about Zep and Bowie.

Since Bowie died, I must admit to going on a total binge of his work. I already had several of his LPs, but like Neil Young or Bob Dylan, unless you're a fanatic, you can pick and choose which albums to hear because there are so many (that might be blasphemy to some of you but we don't all have time to digest every artist's entire catalogue!).

The one album that has blown me away is 1976's Station To Station. However this album passed me by, I dunno. It's sublime, amazing and I can understand why it is considered possibly his best album.

This is where Zeppelin comes in. Having listened to the title track many times and in many versions, I detect a bit of a Zep influence on it. Why? Well, it's a mix of chronological timing and musical similarities. I don't know if Bowie had seen Zeppelin in concert before recording, but it really sounds like he'd listened to Physical Graffiti in 1975 prior to recording the Station LP.

Station To Station has an eerie opening (similar to In The Light). The opening riff section is similar in spirit the hypnotic slow groove of Kashmir. Then it all speeds up kinda like the structure of In My Time Of Dying. Musically different but in the same spirit, if you get me. Same ballpark anyway.

And then if you add Bowie's own occult interests which intersected with Jimmy Page's - in additional to the supposed paranoia Bowie had about Page during that period, well then it seems plausible to me that Station To Station was a kind of response to elements of Physical Graffiti. It sure goes for an epic aesthetic that Bowie didn't do very often, unlike Zep who did it on at least one track every album.

Anyhoo, am I mad? Just another internet wanker theorising about something which has no bearing on reality? Your informed thoughts and observations welcome. Ta.

(Here's a fan-made music video of the studio version of Station To Station, for ref)

Edited by FavouriteTipple