Aerosmith vs. Rush

lzzoso

Okay. This is just a simple, hypothetical question.

Whose music do you prefer to listen to other than the "Mighty Led Zeppelin"? Aerosmith or Rush. I realize that some of you out there may or may not even (really) like these two great bands. I, however, prefer both bands during their mid to late 1970's era. Actually, any era of these two bands. I do think that both bands earlier albums are more "classic" than their later albums. Here are just a few outstanding examples of great songs by both Aerosmith and Rush:

Aerosmith: "Walking the Dog", "Seasons of Wither", "Lord of the Thighs", "No More, No More", "Round and Round", "Last Child", "Rats in the Cellar", "Draw the Line", "the Hand That Feeds"... and of course dozens more.

Rush: "Here Again", "Working Man", "In the End", "2112", "Something for Nothing", "A Farewell to Kings", "the Trees", "Jacobs Ladder", "Tom Sawyer", "Vital Signs"... and of course dozens more also.

Any comments, opinions, debates, arguments, ANYTHING???!!!

Edited by lzzoso

When I was younger I listened a lot to Aerosmith. Still think they're early to mid 70's catalog is really great. Never listened to Rush other then their debut, wich I think is pretty good.

I like both bands. I think that Rush are straight version of Zep. I think that 70's Aerosmith are the Coke version of Zepplein.

70's Aerosmith definately. "One Way Street", "Somebody", "Walkin' The Dog", "Adam's Apple", "No More, No More", "Combination", "Nobody's Fault", "Get The Lead Out", "Lick And A Promise", "No Surprize", etc are all unknown/forgotten gems unless you're an Aerosmith fan. Those songs mentioned are how Aerosmith should be remembered rather than by those Diane Warren & Desmond Child atrocities they unleashed upon the world.

I have endless respect for Rush, but I'm not really a fan of their music, whereas I enjoy listening to Aerosmith (at least the stuff they did in the mid 70's).

For a long time Aerosmith was my second favorite band behind Led Zeppelin. But then I started listening to Judas Priest and Metallica, and as a result I haven't listened to a whole lot of Aerosmith in the last few years.

Edited by Starbreaker

I love both bands but I think they're very different. Both are hard rocking bands, but Aerosmith is more classic rock and roll with great ballads, while Rush is a lot more progressive with more complicated arrangements. I've been a fan of Aerosmith since the mid 90's when I was a teenager and I still like them a lot although I don't listen to them as much now. I only got into Rush in the last couple of years so I listen to them more frequently but I guess if I had to choose Aerosmith would still be my choice.

When I was younger I listened a lot to Aerosmith. Still think they're early to mid 70's catalog is really great. Never listened to Rush other then their debut, wich I think is pretty good.

Rush has evolved greatly since their first album. The debut featured someone other than Neil Peart on drums who is arguably one of the greatest drummers of all time. Recommend "Moving Pictures".

Pink Floyd.

Don't get me wrong because I do like Pink Floyd but Aerosmith or Rush are far better bands than Pink Floyd. I say this now because how many of the musicians can you name in Pink Floyd besides the original four? Rick Wright and Dave Mason and Roger Waters were part of the original Floyd. David Gilmour was not. He replaced Syd Barrett. Roger Waters and David Gilmour have gone to Court over the use (or non-use) of the name Pink Floyd. Apparently Gilmour won but since he reformed Pink Floyd it seems he had to add about 7-10 extra musicians to the "new" Pink Floyd. Can you honestly name these new "Pink Floyd" members? I cannot. I doubt alot of us could. Maybe if you "google" them than maybe you could.

RUSH has had the same three (3) members since their second album, "Fly by Night" which was released in 1975. In my opinion, Alex Lifeson is a much better guitar player than David Gilmour.

Don't get me wrong because I do like Pink Floyd but Aerosmith or Rush are far better bands than Pink Floyd. I say this now because how many of the musicians can you name in Pink Floyd besides the original four? Rick Wright and Dave Mason and Roger Waters were part of the original Floyd. David Gilmour was not. He replaced Syd Barrett. Roger Waters and David Gilmour have gone to Court over the use (or non-use) of the name Pink Floyd. Apparently Gilmour won but since he reformed Pink Floyd it seems he had to add about 7-10 extra musicians to the "new" Pink Floyd. Can you honestly name these new "Pink Floyd" members? I cannot. I doubt alot of us could. Maybe if you "google" them than maybe you could.

RUSH has had the same three (3) members since their second album, "Fly by Night" which was released in 1975. In my opinion, Alex Lifeson is a much better guitar player than David Gilmour.

First of all, Dave Mason was never a member of Pink Floyd. Secondly, you seem to be trying to make the case that Pink Floyd can't possibly be superior musicians to Rush or Aerosmith simply because you feel no one can name the latter day members of the band. Needless to say that's a very weak argument. Speaking of which, it's completely futile to pit artists against one another in the first place, hypothetically or otherwise.

First of all, Dave Mason was never a member of Pink Floyd. Secondly, you seem to be trying to make the case that Pink Floyd can't possibly be superior musicians to Rush or Aerosmith simply because you feel no one can name the latter day members of the band. Needless to say that's a very weak argument. Speaking of which, it's completely futile to pit artists against one another in the first place, hypothetically or otherwise.

Let me say that you are correct. In my "Buzzed" state I incorrectly said Dave Mason when I obviously meant Nick Mason. To me, a simple naming mistake on my part. However, I still stick to my "weak argument" and consider RUSH and AEROSMITH the far "Superior" band over the more popular Pink Floyd. Again, back to my original point, I can easily name every member of Aerosmith and Rush, two rock and roll bands that have a tremendous volume of great music. So does Pink Floyd. No arguements there. My point is that I think it sucks that when one member of a great band leaves or breaks away, it would take 5-10 other musicians to replace him (Roger Waters). Again, with musicians that almost none of us could name. That has never been the case with Aerosmith, Rush or Led Zeppelin.

When the Late Great John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham tragically passed away, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Peter Grant had the dignity to (unfortunately) end Led Zeppelin with "Honor" and "Respect".

Let me say that you are correct. In my "Buzzed" state I incorrectly said Dave Mason when I obviously meant Nick Mason. To me, a simple naming mistake on my part. However, I still stick to my "weak argument" and consider RUSH and AEROSMITH the far "Superior" band over the more popular Pink Floyd. Again, back to my original point, I can easily name every member of Aerosmith and Rush, two rock and roll bands that have a tremendous volume of great music. So does Pink Floyd. No arguements there. My point is that I think it sucks that when one member of a great band leaves or breaks away, it would take 5-10 other musicians to replace him (Roger Waters). Again, with musicians that almost none of us could name. That has never been the case with Aerosmith, Rush or Led Zeppelin.

Perhaps but I still don't get how that lessens Pink Floyd's overall musicianship.

[quote name='lzzoso' date='21 January 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1264082610' pWhen the Late Great John Henry "Bonzo" Bonham tragically passed away, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Peter Grant had the dignity to (unfortunately) end Led Zeppelin with "Honor" and "Respect".

HAHAHA to the first bolded statement.

Also, after Roger decided to be a twat and leave the band, they didn't replace him, they didn't add anyone else to the group. Pink Floyd then became David, Rick and Nick. Period. They didn't do what they did when Syd was too mentally incapacitated to perform anymore and add someone else legally to the group. The band went from a quartet to a trio. Guy Pratt became their bassist for live performances, but he didn't join the band. He is not a member of Pink Floyd. Neither is Jon Carin who played keys. They didn't replace Roger Waters in the band. They simply moved on without him. WTF do you know.

Also, HAHAHAHA to the second bolded statement.

Edited by Electrophile