Tyler's awkward Led Zep audition

Conneyfogle

The long-standing rumours about Steven Tyler having triedout for Led Zeppelin are true, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has toldClassic Rock Magazine.

And the singer even tried to keepthe news from his bandmates, which, says Perry, demonstrates howdifficult it's been to work with him in recent times.

Tyler wasone of those shortlisted to replace Robert Plant when he decided not topursue a Led Zep reunion after their one-off London show in 2007.

But Perry later spoke to Zep's Jimmy Page about it, and discovered the audition had been "awkward".

In the latest edition of Classic Rock, out tomorrow, Perry says: "Steven disappeared and I called around. Somebody said he was in London trying out for Led Zeppelin.

"It's something I've never talked about before. It's a kind of window into how hard it's been to keep the partnership together.

"It's not the first time things like this have happened - that's the downside of our relationship."

WhenPerry and Page attended last year's Classic Rock Roll of Honour Awards,the guitarists discussed the sessions, and Page revealed howuncomfortable they'd been.

Tyler turned up without knowing enoughabout Led Zep's set or gameplan, and was under the impression he'd bejoining the band to write new material - which wasn't currently underdiscussion. Classic Rock describes the sessions as "shambolic".

Perry says: "Page felt really awkward about the audition, but ultimately it was a group decision."

Healso reveals that Tyler hasn't spoken to Aerosmith about the episode tothis day, lending credence to the suggestion that even though he'sdecided he wants to remain in the band, his colleagues have run out ofpatience with him.

Rock Radio understands the most successfulcandidate for Plant's job was Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge. Thingswent so well that he, Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham beganrehearsals and tour negotiations, before the plans fell through.

Thoseevents may have led directly to the reunion of Creed (Scott Stapp plusthe rest of Alter Bridge) and the formation of Them Crooked Vultures(Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme) plus Jimmy Page's recently-announcesolo band.

Tyler's legal representatives last week said they were prepared to take legal action to prevent his replacement in Aerosmith.

More Aerosmith weirdness. :blink:

We were supposed to see them this past summer, then Tyler fell off stage during the show before ours, so it was canned. But ever since, news out of that camp has been odd and I am really getting a bad taste over it. If they want to split, then do it. But all this BS - are they together, no, wait, now they are on again, stuff is getting pretty old.

I did like the footage I saw of Aerosmith and the Boys (can't remember what is was, maybe an award show - an anniversary concert for ?? Someone here can fill in the gaps no doubt.) It worked for me anyway :), in a cool and novel kind of way. As far as Tyler singing for Jimmy as a steady gig, I'd give it a listen but have a hard time seeing it lasting for some reason. Personality clashes? I don't know any of them, but I have a hard time seeing that collaboration fly.

edited 'cos I can't spell

In my opinion Aerosmith has not been a good band since 1978!I saw them in the late 70's and they were incredible!saw them on there 80's reunion tour for Done with mirrors at The Greek Theater in LA and they were awful... I saw them again a few years ago in NYC and they were dreadful! I think they should give it a rest! Joe Perry's band is great!I would much rather see them than a tired Aerosmith. Just as I would rather see a great Them Crooked Vultures than a bad version of Led Zeppelin! They new when to quit! Just my opinion...

I was about to say...

The whole article seemed a little fishy anyway.

We've so far had only Joe Perry's version on what went on. I'd like to hear something from Tyler for his side of the story. Obviously if Tyler is going off and leaving Perry behind, Perry is more than likely to saying something negative about it.

In my opinion Aerosmith has not been a good band since 1978!I saw them in the late 70's and they were incredible!saw them on there 80's reunion tour for Done with mirrors at The Greek Theater in LA and they were awful... I saw them again a few years ago in NYC and they were dreadful! I think they should give it a rest! Joe Perry's band is great!I would much rather see them than a tired Aerosmith. Just as I would rather see a great Them Crooked Vultures than a bad version of Led Zeppelin! They new when to quit! Just my opinion...

Saw them in Toronto a few years back and the rocked! They kept coming, and coming, building momentum as the night went on. Everyone plays well in Toronto anyway :)

Saw them in Toronto a few years back and the rocked! They kept coming, and coming, building momentum as the night went on. Everyone plays well in Toronto anyway :)

I agree. I saw them a few years ago as well, and forgotten how great they were live. Steven had the crowd in the palm of his hands. I wish I had seen them in the late 70's though. I've heard from more than a few people how there was nothing like it.

I agree. I saw them a few years ago as well, and forgotten how great they were live. Steven had the crowd in the palm of his hands. I wish I had seen them in the late 70's though. I've heard from more than a few people how there was nothing like it.

Ack! I knew we missed out last summer!!!! It makes me sad that I probably won't see them live now - ever. :slapface:

Funnily enough rumors of Paul Rodgers fronting Aerosmith are swirling about. It's just getting more & more incestous. Next up, Allison Krauss & Dio fronting Heaven And Hell together.

laugh.gif No kidding !

Why not? It's no more incestous than all these other pairings. Krauss would just add to the "Deep Sabbath Rainbow Aero Zeppelin Company". May as well keep it in the family like a bunch hillbilly kissin' cousins at a white lightning barn dance. Nine months later the results may not be all that pretty.

Archived