Iron Maiden vs. Judas Priest

lzzoso

I realize that certain people do not like these "Versus" topics. I say who gives a Fuck. It is only one post among thousands on this awesome website. Who really cares?

Anyway, back in the awesome decade of the 1980's, it seemed that the term, "Heavy Metal" applied to two awesome British bands (among others), Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. I grew up listening to both these Great Metal bands (before I "discovered" the "Mighty Led Zeppelin").

Thanks to the other Great website, YouTube, I can listen to almost any song that comes into my head. Sometimes in my "buzzed" state, I will listen to many different and varied styles of music. Anything from the "Spinners" to "Boz Scaggs". "Natalie Merchant" to the "Go-Go's". "Gordon Lightfoot" to "Jim Croce". "Iron Maiden" to "Judas Priest".

Sorry, I got off topic for a moment. IRON MAIDEN and/or JUDAS PRIEST. I think that if I had to choose one over the other I think I would choose, BOTH!!! I think that this is a harder question than "Aerosmith vs. "Rush".

Edited by lzzoso

Thanks so much for starting this thread my lzzoso!

I was thinking about starting a thread with this exact same topic in mind, but I guess you beat me to it smile.gif

Anyway, as to whose better, both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are great bands, but for me, Judas Priest is the amazing. In my opinion, Unleashed In The East is hands down the greatest record EVER. Rob Halford's vocals are astounding (he can higher than Plant), and the twin-lead guitar attack of Glen Tipton and K.K. Downing is earth-shattering stuff.

On another note, had Judas Priest not been around, Heavy Metal in England would have completely disappeared in the mid-late 70's because of the popularity of punk. If you have no Judas Priest, you have no NWOBHM, and if you have no NWOBHM, there would be no Thrash Metal (Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, etc). The Metal Gods truly are the saviors of Heavy Metal.

Edited by Starbreaker

Iron Maiden for myself, particularly the Paul Di'anno years. I like Priest a lot too but those first two Maiden albums have everything I love in Metal.

I like Paul Di'Anno a lot as a singer. He was great on Iron Maiden and Killers in my opinion. It's a shame that in order for Maiden to make it big, they had to replace him. Although the move makes sense, as Dickinson had more drive, and had much greater range than Di'Anno did.

Still, the first album is a definite favorite of mine.

• 4 years later...