Question concerning new TSRTS bonus disc

mhotter74

Well, came home from work to find the new TSRTS Collector's Edition sitting on the coffee table. Took a gander at the bonus disc, and had a question for the Zep boot aficionados - can anyone tell me what particular song/jam is playing on the main menu of the bonus disc. Quite rocking and funky, sounding similar to the fast jam during WLL, but not quite the same. Is this snippet taken from a portion of the MSG show that wasn't used in the official movie and soundtrack? Thanks very much in advance. What a wonderful time to be a Zephead! :banana:

Well, came home from work to find the new TSRTS Collector's Edition sitting on the coffee table. Took a gander at the bonus disc, and had a question for the Zep boot aficionados - can anyone tell me what particular song/jam is playing on the main menu of the bonus disc. Quite rocking and funky, sounding similar to the fast jam during WLL, but not wuite the same. Is this snippet taken from a portion of the MSG show that wasn't used in the official movie and soundtrack? Thanks very much in advance. What a wonderful time to be a Zephead! :banana:

I'm positive that was WLL from another show that tour...my question is....Is Celebration Day different from the original soundtrack that came out in 1976...jam sounds different...the old one was tighter and IMO better!!!

Well, came home from work to find the new TSRTS Collector's Edition sitting on the coffee table. Took a gander at the bonus disc, and had a question for the Zep boot aficionados - can anyone tell me what particular song/jam is playing on the main menu of the bonus disc. Quite rocking and funky, sounding similar to the fast jam during WLL, but not wuite the same. Is this snippet taken from a portion of the MSG show that wasn't used in the official movie and soundtrack? Thanks very much in advance. What a wonderful time to be a Zephead! :banana:

Yes i too would like to know what this is also. I can't place it at all............ is it the previously unheard riff mentioned elswhere in the forums ?

I guess we need our Garden Tapes guy to answer it, but it does seem like a different version of Celebration Day overall - the one on the soundtrack is great, but I think there's some major splicing from different nights, especially during the ending solo.

Mike H

I'm positive that was WLL from another show that tour...my question is....Is Celebration Day different from the original soundtrack that came out in 1976...jam sounds different...the old one was tighter and IMO better!!!

Can someone help me on this. I've been a bit out of the loop of Zep for a few weeks. What are are all the different versions of TSRTS cd and dvd? I want to make sure I buy the right ones.

There is the expanded CD TSRTS(new tracks not included on original soundtrack)

Remaster 2-disc DVD song remains the same(2nd disc has bonus material celebration day,OTHFA etc

" Collectors Edition(this does not include soundtrack)

Then there is blu ray and HD soon

• 1 month later...
Took a gander at the bonus disc, and had a question for the Zep boot aficionados - can anyone tell me what particular song/jam is playing on the main menu of the bonus disc. Quite rocking and funky, sounding similar to the fast jam during WLL, but not quite the same. Is this snippet taken from a portion of the MSG show that wasn't used in the official movie and soundtrack? Thanks very much in advance. What a wonderful time to be a Zephead!

I'd also like to know where that riff is from in the bonus disc titles menu. It's very cool. Would love to know which show that's from.

Great question...

I think the menu theme is an outtake snippet from a live show, but as to whether or not it's from MSG 73, who knows...

I need a few more listens and comparisons to the DVD, but I also think Celebration Day could be a combo of both MSG performances...

It's all from MSG 73 run. The only parts of TSRTS that are'nt from NY are the limo ride and backstage scenes. They were from Baltimore and Pittsburg.....taken during "filming test" on dates prior to MSG.

Thanks. Seems strange (or tricky?) that they wouldn't just put both on one DVD like they do with the regular 2007 release.

I guess they want to lead us to believe that we are getting more footage because it's two DVDs instead of one.

Why don't you read before you post? There is NO single disc DVD release of TSRTS in 2007!!!! All versions available are 2 DVDs!

Those great jams on 2007 TSRTS Disc2 menu I am thinking may be "The Crunge" improv jams from WLL on a certain one of those 3 MSG nights. This is because it has "The Crunge" in the credits at the end of the DVD, and this is the only thing it can be referring to. Either way, it is one HOT ASS jam out, listen to John Paul Jones incredibly funky and rocked out bass lines! So good its ridiculous. Only Zep did stuff this cool.

The jam on the Disc 1 menu after you select "Songs" is totally crushing too! Seriously hot Theremin and bass line action, it's another version of WLL obviously, but man do they cook, and the menu video collage going on at the same time is really slick and well done too. Love when Page hits a high note on the Theremin and throws his arm back to the left then the camera pans back to Plant. THIS IS SERIOUS ROCK AND ROLL JAMMIN' BOYS!!!!

does any one know EXACTLY what they are yet? coz i'm gonna have to get these on bootleg!!!

I was wondering the same thing and then saw this post, so I went thru my MSG bootlegs and found it on 7-28-73 during WLL starting about 2:30 into it., right after the Crunge tease. After this section, they jam a bit, and then go back to the Crunge, and then back to WLL solo section.

Hope this helps.

Does anybody know why they didn't include a complete version of Heartbreaker on disc 2? It was played all 3 nights, so there should be enough footage of it. Even if they didn't have enough live footage, they could have filled the gaps with the robbery footage or some other stuff. I think Heartbreaker is really missing on the bonus DVD.

Does anybody know why they didn't include a complete version of Heartbreaker on disc 2? It was played all 3 nights, so there should be enough footage of it. Even if they didn't have enough live footage, they could have filled the gaps with the robbery footage or some other stuff. I think Heartbreaker is really missing on the bonus DVD.

I think the idea was for the concert to stop and the 'documentary' part to begin, if the music continued to play underneath, it would have confused the two. Also, they would have been restricted by the soundtrack as to how much robbery footage they could use. If the song only goes for say 4 mins and they wanted to use 3 mins of robbery newsreel, they would have had to play the audio from the solo underneath the robbery.

justinv416

I was wondering the same thing and then saw this post, so I went thru my MSG bootlegs and found it on 7-28-73 during WLL starting about 2:30 into it., right after the Crunge tease. After this section, they jam a bit, and then go back to the Crunge, and then back to WLL solo section.

Thanks bro. I asked about this menu jam in the wrong thread. Searched but I couldn't find this one. The ambiance behind the track sounds like studio stuff to me (especially the reverb on the last note) but I'm sure it was engineered that way in post. Either way it's got a great groove.

I think the idea was for the concert to stop and the 'documentary' part to begin, if the music continued to play underneath, it would have confused the two. Also, they would have been restricted by the soundtrack as to how much robbery footage they could use. If the song only goes for say 4 mins and they wanted to use 3 mins of robbery newsreel, they would have had to play the audio from the solo underneath the robbery.

I understand. But I was thinking of the second disc, not the film itself. Why shouldn't they be able to add a complete Heartbreaker to disc 2, just as they did with OTHAFA, CD, MMH and TO?

I understand. But I was thinking of the second disc, not the film itself. Why shouldn't they be able to add a complete Heartbreaker to disc 2, just as they did with OTHAFA, CD, MMH and TO?

Good point. Maybe, as with other songs, even with 4 cameras over 3 nights, they never got complete coverage for the wholes song? This is where the idea for the fantasy sequences came from, to plug the holes left in some of the songs.

Archived