Robert Plant 2010 Tour

In Dodge Theater in Phoenix last night, the pit was 3 or 4 rows of folding chairs, and then several feet of aisle space separating that from the 'official' first row of permanent chairs. Well, a lot of people got out of their permanent seats and came forward and filled up the area behind the pit, and so there was a lot of shouting and dancing in that whole front section. The audience overall was very attentive during the unfamiliar numbers and reacted very well to them, of course went nuts for the Zeppelin tunes which always brought a smile to the bandmembers' faces.

In Dodge Theater in Phoenix last night, the pit was 3 or 4 rows of folding chairs, and then several feet of aisle space separating that from the 'official' first row of permanent chairs. Well, a lot of people got out of their permanent seats and came forward and filled up the area behind the pit, and so there was a lot of shouting and dancing in that whole front section. The audience overall was very attentive during the unfamiliar numbers and reacted very well to them, of course went nuts for the Zeppelin tunes which always brought a smile to the bandmembers' faces.

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Glad you had a great time :D

I'm not done sharing yet :-)

Setlist:

01 Down to the Sea

02 Angel Dance

03 Please Read the Letter

04 House of Cards

05 Misty Mountain Hop

06 Somewhere Trouble Don't Go

07 Rich Woman

08 Medley: Oh What a Beautiful City/Wader in the Water/In My Time of Dying

09 All the King's Horses

10 Satisfied Mind

11 Nobody's Fault But Mine

12 Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

13 Central 209

14 Monkey

15 Houses of the Holy

16 Tall Cool One

17 Over the Hills and Far Away

18 Gallows Pole

Encores:

19 Harm's Swift Way

20 Thank You

21 Rock and Roll

22 Goodnight

6, 10, and 11 featured other vocalists with Robert on backup and/or harmonica.

I totally get your excitement. It's sooooooooooooooo good to have someone have the passion for the man/music that I do. Like you said, some don't care for it, so I say, don't go. But as for me...July 26 in Austin, TX!

PLUS, a HUGE bonus for me is I get to meet ZeppFanForever, who will be attending the concert with me and my sister!

MY LIFE RIGHT NOW IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time at the concert, imPLANTed!

Say "Hi" to ZFF for me!

I wonder what Plant was talking about when he thanked a Scottsdale/Mesa dentist during the concert exactly? That was a great concert, I really had a good time.

Glad that you had a great time, luvlz2!

Interesting comment by Robert, lol.

If he ever needs an eye doctor while in the states, I'm available, LOL!

Ever since I seen Robert Plant play "Down to the Sea" in Vegas on the "Dreamland" tour that has been a favorite for me,(well really when I first heard it on "Fate of Nations") and seeing him open up with it in Phoenix this time was a treat for me. Robert Plant said after the song; "Well good evening everybody, welcome to Phoenix". (I got a kick out of that). In a recent AZ. radio interview he said that song was "Medicine".

I really like "Angel Dance", it was nice!! I love the way Robert Plant talks to the audience. Robert Plant said(this is almost 100% accurate)"Well we seem to have at this time to witness the landing of the great...(and then some guy yells 'Robert Plant' fast), and then R. Plant quiickly said; "No, that's another thing". And Robert Plant goes on to say; "a crucial episode of the land of the Band of Joy here in Arizona, last seen in 1963 and tonight abley abeckoned and aided by the great, if you would welcome, miss Patty Griffin!" Then he said "Let's sit and have a good time".

"Please Read the Letter" was sweet. I really got off on "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go" with Robert Plant on harmonica!! That was a sweet treat for me! I always love and appreciate him on harmonica! He played it nice last night!!

"All the King's Horses" was sweet too. Robert Plant said: "A good night in Phoenix, we appreciate it!!" He also said at some point; "I'd like to thank the combined forces of the dentists of Phoenix and Scottsdale this evening" (and I couldn't make out the rest, but it was generally about dentists).

During "Rock and Roll" Robert Plant did one ahhhhh! that sounded Zeppish all the way!(You know the ahhh right before the guitar comes in the middle of Rock and Roll). That was cool. smile.gif

He said; "I guess it's really difficult you know to come along to a show to find that it is 95% of the songs you've never heard before, but you've been extremely attentive".

I'm greatful to have had the opportunity here in Phoenix! What a treat at the Dodge it was! All the quotes I gave are what I could discern from the concert. Thanks PhxHorn for the pictures, setlist and review!smile.gif

Tucson Setlist:

01 Down to the Sea

02 Angel Dance

03 House of Cards

04 Misty Mountain Hop

05 Someplace Trouble Don't Go

06 Rich Woman

07 Medley: Oh What a Beautiful City/Wade in the Water/In My Time of Dying

08 All the King's Horses

09 Satisfied Mind

10 If I Had My Way

11 Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down

12 Central 209

13 Monkey

14 Houses of the Holy

15 Tall Cool One

16 Over the Hills and Far Away

17 Gallows Pole

Encores:

18 Harm's Swift Way

19 Thank You

20 Rock and Roll

21 Goodnight

If I got it right, it looks like they cut 'Please Read the Letter' and 'Nobody's Fault' and added 'If I Had My Way', which featured Patty Griffin. Her version of NFBM wasn't that great, anyway. This other tune is much better. Looks like 'Gone Gone Gone', from earlier shows, is long gone, too.

If you pay attention, you'll see both Robert and Patty are using analog teleprompters, ie printed lyrics sheets (thus the little clip-on lights at knee level) and they turn the pages after some of the tunes. There was a storm, and rain and wind were blowing in under the amphitheater's roof into the audience. I was 30 feet from the edge of the roof and was still getting wet. Kind of a pain in the ass. Plus the guy on my left had his hat blow off, and so he had to hold a meeting with the people around us in order to form a search party, plus the hot chick in front of me had to have a reunion with a friend she ran into, and the guy on my right had to have an argument with the girl behind him about whether or not it's rude to stand at a concert, plus there were empty beer cups blowing all over the place and bouncing around. Thank God the soundman turned it up as the show progressed!

Robert was a little more rowdy, vocally. The band was a bit more adventurous than in Phoenix, too. On one tune, Darrell Scott took kind of a wild solo, which Robert commented on afterwards. Also, Elton John was scheduled to play in Tucson that same night, but had to cancel due to food poisoning. After the show, Robert said, 'Somewhere over the hill out there, Elton, hope you're feeling better. Miss you lots, darling!'

That's cool they got more loose(adventurous) in Tuscon! A Storm! Wow! Didn't know it was an outdoor theater. Thank you for sharing that review about the Tuscon show PhxHorn! Very cool.

I think this band is just getting warmed up, introducing the unfamiliar material in the south so as to hopefully get a better reception (southerners like that stuff, right Cletus? :-)

I think he'll be back with a bunch of dates all across the country. I'm sure you folks who see him in the coming months will reap the benefits of the changes being made now. I remember now, it was Rich Woman with the guitar solo. Not really a wild solo, but different from the previous night. Most of the rhythm section dropped out and Darrell was playing very sparsely, tossing out a note here and there and making them guess what he was going to do before the band came back in. They're just now starting to stretch things, along with tweaking the setlist. They'll be getting better and better, that's for sure. Robert won't want to get off this train once it starts to hum!

By the way, I thought I'd add this for people going to later shows:

Betty LaVette opened, though I don't know if she's doing the whole tour. She's very good, well worth seeing. R&B versions of British rock tunes. She did about 40 minutes, and then a 30-minute intermission before Robert hit the stage. The opening act was 7:30, and Robert came on about 8:40pm both nights. Both times, the last tune in the house music was a tune that sounded like a U2 cut, with a repetitive echoey guitar lick that built and built. It got substantially louder for that tune, and was very loud by the time the lights went off. The first tune started very quickly once the lights went out and the band took the stage.

In Phoenix, I saw the security guard start talking on his headset and he looked back at to the soundboard and made a circular motion with his finger, as if to say roll tape. Then the 'U2' tune started. So I think that tune in the house music is pre-arranged and he was signaling to start it up.

Maybe that "U2ish" song you are referring to is something Robert and Daniel Lanois worked on together late last year ??? (as their collaboration was reported on the forum):

Lanois, as we know, is one of the master minds behind the scenes of U2 (along with Brian Eno and was Steve Lillywhite back in the day).

Perhaps, we are getting a sample taste of the future in the intro instrumental song (opener)...

R B)

Maybe Robert can "hook-up" with Lady Gaga in Dallas tonight after the show. Lady Gaga was also here last night, so maybe Robert was already in town last night from the Tuscon show on the 21st. I'm sure Lady Gaga would like to meet Robert.... after all who can resist Robert !

Hello! What a great and fantastic show I witnessed last night. Robert Plant at the Dallas Meyerson Symphony Hall. I had one of the best seats and views that I have ever had at a concert. My seat was literally right next to the mixing and soundboard. I would really say that this was an "Evening" with Robert Plant. Very intimate. I have some videos that I took on my phone, however, I am so far not literate enough to download them on the internet.

I started this topic way back in May when this concert was still a way in the future and last night all my dreams were definately fulfilled and satisfied.

I even bought a shirt that says USA 2010 Robert Plant and the Band of Joy on the front and the very few and select cities on this tour on the back. Only $25 dollars. I say that this was well worth it considering that the Budweisers were $5 and the mixed drinks were $7.

Archived