What is WRONG with "music fans" these days ?

toscano

Saw it at U2, saw it Saturday night at Iron Maiden, been seeing it for some time now.

Due to a medical condition I ALWAYS need to go #1 during a show, so I pick a 'down' moment to quickly head out, the days of taking a wizz in the middle of the pit being a thing of the past.

What do I see on the way ? Groups of people just hanging out, chatting, having a beer, eating nachos etc.

I mean, why bother $50-$250/ticket, $20 parking, to do what ? Have a $10 weak American 'beer' and some bad arena 'food' ?? Really ? Those conversations couldn't wait ?

And then there's the whole "the band isn't playing enough hits" crew. Iron Maiden decided to ditch their greatest hits set and focus on lesser played tracks. This was NOT going over well with many people. I mean, at least stand up, listen, and you may end up liking it and turning to the next person and saying "what song was that ?" and there you go, new music to add to add to your collection. But no, people sit, and start having conversations. Again, really, that conversation HAD to happen right there and then ?

It's not TOO difficult to get involved in songs you don't know, just listen to what everyone else is singing.

I actually had to shout "shut the f**k up" at a couple of blackberry-playing-there-for-the-greatest-hits guys in front of me who decided to have what obviously was a vital business meeting on a saturday night at a rock concert. They turned around shocked, took one look at me and my "kid" (6 2, sleeveless shirt, all muscle) and they walked away to continue their conversation

The longtime Maiden fans I know all loved the set, a real refreshing change of pace. Save a few classics to the end to please the casual fan. Great stuff.

Rant over.

Granted tickets cost much more nowadays, but concert-goers from the 50s, 60s, & 70s will tell you distractions and the distracted at music events is nothing new.

Maybe I didn't notice it in the 70s and 80s as I would NEVER leave during a show unless it was a festival type thing. Now I HAVE to.

I also hate the fuckers that scream out loud because they want to draw attention to themselves (not because they are supporting the music). I saw Neil Young one time and this tripped out girl kept screaming "Neillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!" at the top of her lungs and then giggled with her friends when everyone looked at her. She was doing this during his acoustic stuff too. Finally, security came over and told her to quiet down. Next thing she was passed out. Wench!!!angry.gif

I also hate the fuckers that scream out loud because they want to draw attention to themselves (not because they are supporting the music). I saw Neil Young one time and this tripped out girl kept screaming "Neillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!" at the top of her lungs and then giggled with her friends when everyone looked at her. She was doing this during his acoustic stuff too. Finally, security came over and told her to quiet down. Next thing she was passed out. Wench!!!angry.gif

Hi Wolfman,

You should have pissed on her back, shit in a hankie and splattered it on her head, and then given the mouthy bitch a slap. :hippy::o:buttsmack::lol:

Regards, Danny

Then there's this newer thing nowadays where you HAVE TO STAND FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW or you're not a "real" fan. What the hell is this about? Since when did this become law?

Hi 'badgeholder'

In the Good Old Days before all seater stadiums and arenas everybody stood, you had no choice, now, because most of the Original Rock Fans are so Old and Decrepit we/they need to sit down and have a toilet nearby, as you know it the Old days you pissed where you stood, i know i did, even if there were only a crowd of 20 or so at the venue. :blush::lol:

Regards, Danny

Edited by BIGDAN

Hi 'badgeholder'

In the Good Old Days before all seater stadiums and arenas everybody stood, you had no choice, now, because most of the Original Rock Fans are so Old and Decrepit we/they need to sit down and have a toilet nearby, as you know it the Old days you pissed where you stood, i know i did, even if there were only a crowd of 20 or so at the venue. :blush::lol:

Regards, Danny

Well, I won't be standing in front of Big Dan, that's for sure! :D

Fans have pretty much always been the same. The rowdier the show the more rude/loud/obnoxious behavior that will be exhibited.

What would you expect at an Iron Maiden show? I mean really. Geez man.

There's lots of rock shows that don't attract that type of crowd. The more caveman the music, the more caveman the audience.

Then there's this newer thing nowadays where you HAVE TO STAND FOR THE ENTIRE SHOW or you're not a "real" fan. What the hell is this about? Since when did this become law?

That's why I don't go to many concerts anymore. I can see the first couple of songs, but the whole show is a bit too much for me.

Fans have pretty much always been the same. The rowdier the show the more rude/loud/obnoxious behavior that will be exhibited.

What would you expect at an Iron Maiden show? I mean really. Geez man.

There's lots of rock shows that don't attract that type of crowd. The more caveman the music, the more caveman the audience.

I don't know who you were aiming that at, but I was the original poster and I complaining about indifference, not rowdiness.

As for Maiden, hardly "caveman"

:lol:

I thought the newer thing was people telling you sit down.

I can't stand sitting down for a band I like, then again most bands I like do exhibit a pulse.

It is getting harder on the old legs the day after though, probably get worse after I hit 50 which is just around the corner.

I don't know who you were aiming that at, but I was the original poster and I complaining about indifference, not rowdiness.

As for Maiden, hardly "caveman"

laugh.gif

I guess I read more into what you said.

I did say about the crowd being rude etc (could be seen as indifferent)...the band being 'rowdy' as in an Iron Maiden band. Rowdy music if you will.

You don't consider Iron Maiden basic, loud, grind caveman music? What do you consider it? Sophisticated progressive rock with numerous time changes and intricate instrumentals?

I "see" alot of types putting their fists in the air with leather gloves ala a Dio type of crowd. Am I wrong?

Was it in Philly? ha. Couldnt resist that one. at least she wasnt on somebodys shoulders puking on you! Man, you have one on me! I never got to see old Neil. And I always wanted to. Love him.

Those so called "fans" standing around drinking beer and chatting are partying to the expensive entertainment. Their loss as they will not have a full memory of the concert. I have alot of gaps in the concerts I went to in the 70's cuz I was smoking too much weed. My loss.

I went to a Foreigner concert at Anaheim Stadium and some wacked out kids decided it would be fun to dump a gallon bucket of mustard on people on the level below them. Yuck! I was a few rows in front and did not get any slatter but can you imagine sitting through the rest of the concert with the strong smell of mustard on you. How rude was that!

When I saw TCV I was down the front for the first two or so songs but all everyone was doing was just fucken jumping up and down and I could hardly concentrate on the music because I was trying my best not to fall over (I'm not the biggest bloke you've ever seen.) After these songs I moved back a few rows, had a much better view and people weren't constantly jumping up and down.

I've been known to hang out in bathrooms and talk with my friends...but that was at $5 punk shows. I can't imagine paying $50 to see U2 and then spending the night in the bathroom. If you REALLY want to catch up with your friends, invite them to a bar/coffee shop AFTER the show, but for Pete's sake, don't miss what you came for just so you can yak!

And about the standing up at concerts thing, I so rarely used to go to shows at places that had seats that when I started getting into classic rock bands that required an arena to play in, it was totally weird to me to see people sitting down at those shows. I mean, I don't really care either way...if the people behind me are sitting, I'm cool with it and I'll sit too, but otherwise, I'll stand up.

I think the worst kind of people at concerts are idiots who don't go to a lot of shows and don't have a clue about concert etiquette. You wouldn't think punk rock would attract the most polite crowd in the universe, but it actually works out because it ends up being all the "scenesters" who go to shows all the time and know how to act so as not to piss everybody else off. When you get a bunch of people who have never been to a show before, such as teenage girls with pointy elbows and screechy voices at a Blink 182 show or a bunch of huge, bro-type drunken hicks who crawled out from under a rock at a country show, they're the worst.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

I remember my brother saying that when he went to see Ian Brown, a fight or something broke out at the front. It had been going on for a song or 2 and no security guards had done anything about it. So mid way through a song, Ian Brown stopped, then told the 2 people to f**k off, after he told security to get rid of them :lol:

Iron Maiden=Metal Headbanger Music=Caveman Music

I consider this to be a very uninformed and intolerant outlook.

One might call it "caveman" in it's primitiveness and lack of thought.

Each to their own, but because YOU don't like a certain type of music doesn't make it any less worthy.

Edited by toscano

I'm only 28, so my concert-going experience is a little different than those who are a couple decades older, but I've seen stupidity at concerts. I just ignore it, mostly. If people around me are getting drunk or acting in a belligerent manner, I just move. I don't stand up for the whole show because I'd rather sit down and enjoy the music than jump around like a monkey on PCP. Certain songs I'll stand up for -- for example, I've seen Springsteen more than a few times and you HAVE to stand up for Born To Run. No exceptions. So I do. Otherwise, I'm sitting down and enjoying watching Bruce and the band put on a hell of a show. I don't think that people standing are better fans or people sitting are better fans....I figure it's comfort. I'm hardly old, but I can't stand around for 3 hours without my left knee barking like a rottweiler on a chain.

I do think it's annoying when people are screaming and talking right in the side of my head while I'm trying to hear the show, and if possible I will ask them to be quiet or not be so loud directly into my ear canal, and 99% of the time, they get the hint and shut up. Then again of course, they paid to get in so as long as they aren't violating the venue's rules, they can do whatever they want. You just have to hope they have the common sense to realize they're bothering people.